• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

I'm watching high level tetris players insert z blocks and stuff into cramped spaces.

Is there some kind of guide to doing this? I've searched all over, but have not been able to find anything since I don't actually know what the name of the technique lol

Yeah, theres a tutorial in the game in the lessons section, here's examples of all of them. (I'm not sure if you can do all of these in this game)

T-Spins are the most popular one, here's a guide for those. I've been researching how to do these again.

DKL

Yeah, theres a tutorial in the game in the lessons section, here's examples of all of them. (I'm not sure if you can do all of these in this game)

T-Spins are the most popular one, here's a guide for those. I've been researching how to do these again.

I've been doing T-spins, but I see people jamming the other blocks into things with only like a one space opening (?)

I'll check the expert tutorial again, but I'm not sure how to do this trick I've been seeing.

EDIT:

Man, this is confusing and I'm not sure I saw what I thought I saw...

I've been doing T-spins, but I see people jamming the other blocks into things with only like a one space opening (?)

I'll check the expert tutorial again, but I'm not sure how to do this trick I've been seeing.

EDIT:

Man, this is confusing and I'm not sure I saw what I thought I saw...

Try playing some Big Bang and setting the starting difficulty to maximum

DKL

Lord, I have to know how it's possible to make this work:

QLVP8nz.png

Essentially, the Japanese player in the youtube vid jams the red block into place.

How does he do it lol

DKL

He just rotated it. There are a number of moves like that.

Is there some kind of timing?

I'm mashing and I only got it in like once and I'm not sure how.

The most I'm getting is that it's rotating in place outside of the hole I need to put it into.

EDIT:

OK, the best I've been able to do is to let the red piece hover on the right side of the hole for a few frames, then you push the rotate button (turn it left) and then it'll fit in...

Need to see if I can do this consistently, but this is super important and I've had so many situations that could have been made better with this.

EDIT EDIT:

Yeah, there's a timing for it. I had absolutely no idea lol

Now I need to see all possible configurations for this trick >_>

S2

Lord, I have to know how it's possible to make this work:

QLVP8nz.png

Essentially, the Japanese player in the youtube vid jams the red block into place.

How does he do it lol

ok im kinda late to your problem but watch Chopin's Twist Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRBmqTrJDUA

To solve the spin in your image:
1) pre-rotate the Z piece counterclockwise
2) move the piece to the notch as shown in the image
3) rotate again counterclockwise

DKL

ok im kinda late to your problem but watch Chopin's Twist Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRBmqTrJDUA

To solve the spin in your image:
1) pre-rotate the Z piece counterclockwise
2) move the piece to the notch as shown in the image
3) rotate again counterclockwise

Oh man, thank you for this vid.

I was searching all over and couldn't find anything on this (probably because I don't even know what the techniques involved are called, so youtube vid search was going nowhere).

El Odio

Banned
Finished up adventure mode with a nice 130% completion rating.
There's no reward or anything for doing so.
Time to put all my attention into online play now.

I was all through the PSN store a couple of days ago and didn't see one. Thanks for letting me know.

Edit: I still don't see it. You guys must be either talking about a demo for a non US account or the Switch. I'm on PS4.
Yeah, I realized after someone else here pointed it out that you were probably on the PS4 side, which due to tetris licensing fuckery, has no demo.

Javier

Is there difference between characters? It seems like I am getting easier tetris pieces with one than another. We even switched characters with my wife and I started losing. True or placebo?
Check the Character Profiles in the in-game manual. It seems the character you pick affects the order in which Tetriminos/Puyos come out.

zigg

I've been agonizing over my apparent inability to progress beyond consistent 2-3 chains in Puyo. I'm not trying to do anything over my level—just sticking with blocking (which I independently reasoned out for myself, heh) and basic stairs for now.

What really throws me is when a new pair drops that cannot fit what I'm trying to build—or so I suspect. For example, let's say I'm trying to build stairs and I've put down 1-3 in a RYBGR pattern. Now a YG pair drops. What can I possibly do with it?

I almost feel like I need to leave board space to pop single groups just to get rid of them, but I inevitably fill up on random crap instead.

Frustrating. I really want to get better at this.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*gets 21 wins in Big Bang*

*puyo popped count only goes up by about 10,000*

........oh dear god, this is going to be quite the grind compared to the minos.

Peru

I've been agonizing over my apparent inability to progress beyond consistent 2-3 chains in Puyo. I'm not trying to do anything over my level—just sticking with blocking (which I independently reasoned out for myself, heh) and basic stairs for now.

What really throws me is when a new pair drops that cannot fit what I'm trying to build—or so I suspect. For example, let's say I'm trying to build stairs and I've put down 1-3 in a RYBGR pattern. Now a YG pair drops. What can I possibly do with it?

I almost feel like I need to leave board space to pop single groups just to get rid of them, but I inevitably fill up on random crap instead.

I've been starting working on stairs as well (just bought the game after learning some basic blocking in the demo)- and reading a bit about it one very useful bit of knowledge for 1-3 is that you don't have to have the key puyo in the row above, as long as it's in the right column. Example: http://puyonexus.com/chainsim/?w=6&h=12&chain=43360033730035330457644457643457643

Maybe you already do and are just complaining about the clutter puyos left behind.. but at least for me that started freeing up my thought process.

jonno394

You start building new chains on top of the current chains, so when your current set pop, you carry on with what you've built, or at least that's what I try and do. Doesn't always work and I Start panicking and mess up!

zigg

I've been starting working on stairs as well (just bought the game after learning some basic blocking in the demo)- and reading a bit about it one very useful bit of knowledge for 1-3 is that you don't have to have the key puyo in the row above, as long as it's in the right column. Example: http://puyonexus.com/chainsim/?w=6&h=12&chain=43360033730035330457644457643457643

Maybe you already do and are just complaining about the clutter puyos left behind.. but at least for me that started freeing up my thought process.
That's good advice. This is a tough learning curve but I'll struggle through eventually. 😄

You start building new chains on top of the current chains, so when your current set pop, you carry on with what you've built, or at least that's what I try and do. Doesn't always work and I Start panicking and mess up!
The thought occurred to me, but it's tough when I don't have a flat surface to build on. Still a good direction to aim in, though. 😊

-shadow-

Man some of those adventure mode levels are impossible to finish with three stars, the AI dies far too quickly in order to rank up points. Now with the Puyo Puyo levels it's not that big of a problem if you manage to make a nice combo, but Tetris on the other hand...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Oh man, thank you for this vid.

I was searching all over and couldn't find anything on this (probably because I don't even know what the techniques involved are called, so youtube vid search was going nowhere).

The most awkward thing about spinning the S and Z pieces into place is that it can be difficult to keep track of their axes if you're not already aware of them:

https://harddrop.com/wiki/File:SRS-pieces.png

It's possible that you might have the piece "upside down," which can prevent you from kicking it into certain holes even if you're pretty sure that you're making the right rotation.

tengiants

I like Tetris a lot and am interested in getting good at Puyo Puyo because I like the idea, but I just cannot stand to get good when I have to practice with this music/aesthetics. Ruining the game for me.

Peltz

This game is secretly the Switch's best local multiplayer game. I played it for a few hours with friends yesterday and we had a blast with it.

superstu64

Neo Member
Loving this game so far and some great tips being posted, thanks all!

One of the cool things is the huge amount of options for customizing your game including which Minos and Puyos are used, but the options screen annoyingly has no preview, so I've done a guide for as many as I've unlocked (not bought all the ones in the shop yet which do have a preview anyway).

Have spoilered it in case you don't want unlocks spoiled.

Hope this is of some use to you.

(Where both Tetris & Puyo is in an image, the Tetris name is on the left)

Panels - Aqua
jx5NBBl.jpg

Puyo Minos
ZZThPV0.jpg

Monochrome - Game Gear
K5XrjcG.jpg

Sega Arcade - Tetris Puyos
jbEcdDO.jpg

Sonic Minos
p3aF7aS.jpg

Dice - Sonic Puyos
cBsvqLz.jpg

Classic - Metallic
aqEBx2i.jpg

Blocks - Fever
xKw8mLo.jpg

Studs - Classic
I4dSR5c.jpg

Dark - Humanoids
paJzpJM.jpg

Crystal - Bricks
r33FU8A.jpg

Finished up adventure mode with a nice 130% completion rating.
There's no reward or anything for doing so.
Time to put all my attention into online play now.

Yeah, I realized after someone else here pointed it out that you were probably on the PS4 side, which due to tetris licensing fuckery, has no demo.

Oh wait, so there's no real reason to 3-Star everything? Did the first set of adventure mode levels that way but if it has no benefit I might just try to run through it as fast as possible.

Also I spent an hour or so playing Big Bang mode with friends at a Smash tournament this weekend and it was amazing.

I really wish Fever was a game mode, but Big Bang is an alright mode to keep me happy.

Safros

Surprisingly, I've been having more fun playing this with people than Mario Kart.

Also, been playing this so much lately that I've literally been playing tetris in my head all day long.

javadoze

I love every single skin to death except for the Puyo Tetriminos. I'm almost guaranteed to lose a Big Bang match every time those come up in rotation (seeing how it's harder to discern specific tetriminos within a few milliseconds unlike how it is with the other skins).

ChrisD

Surprisingly, I've been having more fun playing this with people than Mario Kart.

Also, been playing this so much lately that I've literally been playing tetris in my head all day long.

The "Tetris Effect" is very real.

Been trying to make T-Spins in my head all day.

Got

Banned
Third try with Amazon and this game and they still sent it in a padded envelope and it got crushed, lol. These motherfuckers are so dense.

balohna

Man some of those adventure mode levels are impossible to finish with three stars, the AI dies far too quickly in order to rank up points. Now with the Puyo Puyo levels it's not that big of a problem if you manage to make a nice combo, but Tetris on the other hand...
I have the opposite problem! Feels like in Puyo you need to intentionally not beat them ASAP, but instead set up crazy chains and do it all in one fell swoop. It makes sense I guess, but felt counter intuitive at first. I'm much more experienced at Tetris, so I usually do fine.

f@luS

More than a member.
I have the opposite problem! Feels like in Puyo you need to intentionally not beat them ASAP, but instead set up crazy chains and do it all in one fell swoop. It makes sense I guess, but felt counter intuitive at first. I'm much more experienced at Tetris, so I usually do fine.
Feels the same
Can't 3 star the 1-13 level because if I chain she dies too easily. Going around 2500 points max.

Top Bottom