• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

I made a topic showing how many people have played from each country so make sure you guys go online before next week when I will be updating the list!

What's everyone ranked in their region anyway? I'm currently 5th in the UK :p

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1366459

How many ranked matches have you played?

I haven't touched online yet but man I love my ranked points. Getting in one week two players might be tempting lol.

I've been terrible at Puyo Puyo all along, but somehow I have screeched by in Adventure mode so far. Now I am failing. I need a solid tutorial video for dummies. I've already watched the ones in the OP and they help a little, but clearly not enough, haha.

Peru

I've been terrible at Puyo Puyo all along, but somehow I have screeched by in Adventure mode so far. Now I am failing. I need a solid tutorial video for dummies. I've already watched the ones in the OP and they help a little, but clearly not enough, haha.

Found this pretty good https://puyonexus.com/wiki/How_to_Play_Puyo_Puyo

I'm so into getting better at Puyo that I sort of don't want to do the Tetris challenges in Adventure mode. Although it's forcing me to git a little gud at Tetris as well - about time I guess.

El Odio

Banned
Oh wait, so there's no real reason to 3-Star everything? Did the first set of adventure mode levels that way but if it has no benefit I might just try to run through it as fast as possible.

Also I spent an hour or so playing Big Bang mode with friends at a Smash tournament this weekend and it was amazing.

I really wish Fever was a game mode, but Big Bang is an alright mode to keep me happy.
There's like a medal or something you can earn in the options menu for clearing 100% which I believe 3 starring counts towards but because it goes up to 130% thanks to the bonus chapters at the end you have a bit of leeway with what you want to complete I suppose. Other than that theres no additional skins, bgm, or the like for doing so it seems.
I made a topic showing how many people have played from each country so make sure you guys go online before next week when I will be updating the list!

What's everyone ranked in their region anyway? I'm currently 5th in the UK :p

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1366459
When I stopped last night I was about 20 in Illinois.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
100% is also a trophy on the PS3/4/Vita versions, but yeah, you actually get quite some leadway due to the fact there's extra chapters. I think after I did them all, I was almost at 118%. But I also had 3 stars on everything up to 6-7 (2 stars) & 6-10 (1 star), then only 4 stages where I got 3 stars in act 7, 6 stages in act 8, 8 stages in act 9, & half the stages in act 10 (including 10-10 amazingly).

Had I known about the bonus chapters when playing the Vita version, I probably wouldn't have spent so much time aiming for 3 star ratings. I want to say I earned the 100% right near the end of act 8 or right as I begun act 9.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Had I known about the bonus chapters when playing the Vita version, I probably wouldn't have spent so much time aiming for 3 star ratings. I want to say I earned the 100% right near the end of act 8 or right as I begun act 9.

I'm pretty sure that chapters 8 through 10 were DLC in the first release.

Found this pretty good https://puyonexus.com/wiki/How_to_Play_Puyo_Puyo

I'm so into getting better at Puyo that I sort of don't want to do the Tetris challenges in Adventure mode. Although it's forcing me to git a little gud at Tetris as well - about time I guess.

I should practice more Puyo, I'm still barely at the basic blocking method for chaining. Can't create stairs worth a damn and it's super apparent when playing adventure mode ha...

tsundoku

Having way too much trouble making that world 2 puyo combo for 10,000 points

You can not humanly be gentle enough to that cpu to get 10k points out of them so it must be a score you get out of setting of 2 big combos or 1 massive one at once.

I did get one big combo and a small setup to a perfect clear that landed me about 9k once =/ but then they were instantly knocked out

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm pretty sure that chapters 8 through 10 were DLC in the first release.
Ahhh, that would explain it. Just checked & yeah, the US versions seem to have all the DLC, which were the 3 bonus chapters, all the alt. voices, the greetings for online, backgrounds, alt. skins for minos & puyos, & the extra music.

There's like a medal or something you can earn in the options menu for clearing 100% which I believe 3 starring counts towards but because it goes up to 130% thanks to the bonus chapters at the end you have a bit of leeway with what you want to complete I suppose. Other than that theres no additional skins, bgm, or the like for doing so it seems.

When I stopped last night I was about 20 in Illinois.

Playing online tonight. I'm assuming California is gonna have a lot of people grinding it out though.

But this is probably the game that will get me to pay for online.

Sixfortyfive

I still feel like I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole when going for long Puyo chains. Can't manage colors properly, end up throwing things to the side because they don't fit into the one pattern I'm trying to make, and something ends up dropping in the wrong place later and fucking the whole thing up.

My chain limit is about 8 right now. Everything falls into chaos on the 2nd floor.

Is there anyway to make rank actually put you against someone your rank?

I think I had to raise my level to about 4000 before it stopped matching me against fresh meat.

devonodev

Haven't checked today so it might have changed, but ranked 3rd in Australia! This game is so good, even though I'm terrible at Puyo. It's fun actually having to learn a new puzzle game though, not like Tetris where I know exactly what I need to be doing.

Kouriozan

Currently watching S2 stream on youtube, getting destroyed by Zaprong, damn this is scary to watch.
I wonder if one day I'll be good at Puyo Puyo, managed to reach pretty high level on Panel de Pon (Puzzle League) so I'm not getting discouraged easily.

Is Schezo's dialog supposed to be so innuendo laden? This has to be intended, right? Because it's hilarious.

This chapter is the funniest thing in this entire game.

Is Schezo's dialog supposed to be so innuendo laden? This has to be intended, right? Because it's hilarious.

" The time has come for net to clear my reputation by assaulting this young girl"

Has got to be my favorite line. This adventure mode is stupid in all the best ways.

Also funny: Read every piece of dialog that has "Dark Prince" and mentally replace it with "Satan" and some of the dialog gets hilarious as they praise Satan and thank Satan for his help. The dialog seems to have been written for Satan, and then they just searched and replaced the script with "Dark Prince"

zigg

Also funny: Read every piece of dialog that has "Dark Prince" and mentally replace it with "Satan" and some of the dialog gets hilarious as they praise Satan and thank Satan for his help. The dialog seems to have been written for Satan, and then they just searched and replaced the script with "Dark Prince"
"Prince's advocate"

Story mode is horrifying but at least they had fun with it. 😄

Luigi87

My only regret of the game is that the quick select Tetris from the Title Screen cannot be changed from Marathon 150 to Endless, and that you can only play Endless via Arcade Mode.

Sciz

Schezo accidentally making really sketchy double entendres goes all the way back to the first game, and AFAIK even that was already an in-joke about his appearance in Madou Monogatari 2.

El Odio

Banned

You're talking about the second bonus chapter right? That one killed me at basically each exchange.
"I just want to examine him all over." "Oh okay. Wait WHAT?"

Schezo accidentally making really sketchy double entendres goes all the way back to the first game, and AFAIK even that was already an in-joke about his appearance in Madou Monogatari 2.

Oh man, his theme is the practice music from Bean Machine?

He just keeps getting better

You're talking about the second bonus chapter right? That one killed me at basically each exchange.
"I just want to examine him all over." "Oh okay. Wait WHAT?"
Yes, that chapter. It's basically "how many innuendo can we cram into 10 missions"

WE ARE NOT SLEEPING TOGETHER

Can we also talk about how in *single player mode* , this adorable, meager budget game completely dwarfs and wipes the floor with the behemoth that is MK8D?

ChrisD

Big Bang Tetris is worth $10 alone. I love this mode! The repetition that you learn for building your speed, the heart-pounding competition when you and your opponent are clearing round after round within milliseconds of each other, the short burst gameplay, it's all super fun.

it's been a while since i played jp puyotet but at least in chronicles, a lot of jokes revolving schezo are retreads of the same punchline. localization team took a goof i wasn't huge on and worked some really good material out of it.

the localization in general just really hit the right notes with me. sega's crew has been killing it lately.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

FINALLY, YOU & I ARE GOING TO SCORE TOGETHER!

I ROCKED their world, Arle, & now it's your turn!

I would never rub you the wrong way!

I'll help you wrestle that book cover-to-cover....& under the covers too!

I just want to examine him all over!

Ooooh, Sega. Schezo & Act 9 are the whole reason the game got the E10+ for "mild suggestive themes", but it was totally worth it.

One critique I have for this game is the difficulty is all over the place. Chapter 5 was harder than the final main story chapter (5-9 is the hardest stage in the entire game, it took me about an hour and a half to beat this one stage), Chapter 8 is harder than chapter 9, and chapter 3 spikes way up in difficulty, before collapsing again until chapter 5. Haven't tried chapter 10 yet.

Kind of poorly balanced.

Or maybe it's just because I'm better at Puyo than Tetris, and so the chapters that end on Tetris are harder for me than those that end on Puyo.

Sixfortyfive

So is there any reason to go for All Clears in Big Bang Puyo? I know that in straight-up Fever mode, this gives you a time bonus and extends the next pre-set chain, but neither of those seem to be the case for Big Bang and if there's a damage boost or some other benefit to it, it's not obvious.

S2

So is there any reason to go for All Clears in Big Bang Puyo? I know that in straight-up Fever mode, this gives you a time bonus and extends the next pre-set chain, but neither of those seem to be the case for Big Bang and if there's a damage boost or some other benefit to it, it's not obvious.

On top of the +1 to chain length from solving the puzzle successfully, the All Clear adds another +2.

Sixfortyfive

On top of the +1 to chain length from solving the puzzle successfully, the All Clear adds another +2.

Does that always apply in Big Bang? Last time I went out of my way to get them consistently it didn't seem like that was the case.

ChrisD

I'm still trying to go up from Beginner (or whatever the second tier is).

Just had a sure fire lock-in win on Big Bang, until the friggin' loser ragequit via unplugging their internet. They stuck around after the first clash when I did next to nothing thanks to a slip-up. Then when I brought them to one sliver left in the second clash, the third opened to their piece mysteriously stuck at the top. Then I got kicked. No points for buying in-game items, no promotion. I was wondering how one could have 1300 points, considering you start with 2000. By D/C'ing every time you're about to lose, that's how.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, after another Big Bang attempt of 39 wins, I'm about 500 puyos away from 50k. I expect playing another 200 before reaching the damn 100k mark. At least it's not a hard platinum, but it sure is a tedious one.

swarley64

Playing through adventure mode and the difficulty has suddenly spiked in the middle of world 4. Any tips? The computer is setting up these huge combos and just burying me.

trebbble

Is there a way to change the difficulty in big bang endurance?

I know there's a way in regular big bang mode vs CPU, but I can't find a way in big bang endurance.

I'd love to up the starting difficulty to level 7 so that I can practice my t-spins, etc.

I haven't even seen the difficulty go up after beating multiple CPUs in this mode.

Enjoying this game a lot so far. I haven't played a Tetris game in a long time, so I'm still trying to learn and practice some of the advanced stuff and Puyo Puyo in general. Big Bang mode has been great, but I'd love to figure out how to increase the difficulty so I can practice the mechanics for those spins.

Top Bottom