• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

So, even after beating every chapter, I'm still missing songs 1, 16, 35 and 37. Is there some special requirement to get them or something?

Edit: Wait, I have them on sound test, just can't use them to fight...

pariah164

This game fills me with rage. Especially fusion mode. FUCK FUSION MODE.

Yes, I'm better at Tetris than Puyo Puyo. The Tetris marathon mode is getting the most play from me so far.

Atreides

I have been playing this game a lot, to the point that Mario Kart 8 has been temporarily forgotten. Is there some talk abut a GAF tournament?

Getting better at puyo puyo and I think making combos is actually more satisfying than Tetris. I still haven't really been doing T spins and so on so maybe I'll change my mind on that later on. Anyway, superb game, so happy thus found its way into the switch library so early in its life cycle, I can see myself playing this game for years.

Social

Getting my rating to 5000 and in Belgium I have been number 3 for a long ass time, I wonder where the heck number 2 and 1 are. I once played number 5 though! Kicked his ass too :D

Stencil

Surprising or not, this was the game that made me want to keep my Switch the most. I had already bought Zelda on Wii U when it came out, and I bit on a Switch but ultimately ended up returning it because of the lack of games, currently.

I got the Puyo keychain edition and opened it to play it. Brought my Switch to a park nearby and had a very nice time playing in the sunshine. Since I returned the Switch but had already opened Puyo, I'll be hanging onto it until I can play it again when I buy a Switch in the fall.

I want to support the localization of a game like Puyo Puyo since I've heard it's popular in JPN and I had never played it until now.

zigg

I'm game to play. Can open a room, but I'm not sure how big to make it?

We should start a Discord server or something.

Cerium

I'm ready. I've created a free play lobby.

<---- Quote this post for the passcode.

We'll wait for 15 minutes or so before starting. I'm in for the next few hours. I'm not sure if it shows the room open while we're in a match, but we'll reopen the lobby after every game unless it fills up.

Yeah, but I don't want to hinder your matches. Maybe I'll catch someone on the flipside later.

Really like your avatar by the way, great to see Puyo love around.

Thanks I'm quite fond of it too. I'm often on late so shoot me a message sometime.

I'm ready. I've created a free play lobby.

<---- Quote this post for the passcode.

We'll wait for 15 minutes or so before starting. I'm in for the next few hours. I'm not sure if it shows the room open while we're in a match, but we'll reopen the lobby after every game unless it fills up.

Thanks I'm quite fond of it too. I'm often on late so shoot me a message sometime.

I'm on now, which room are you?

Cerium

Alright someone keeps disconnecting a few seconds into the match we're going to trial and error to figure out who it is.

Cerium

DAMN! You two are incredible! I barely lasted 30 seconds each round there! :p

Hah, it just feels good to play around my skill level. When I run into the 3000+ ranks it gets ugly.

Are you domflo?

Gonna keep the room open for like 5 more minutes in case anyone else wants in.

zigg

I'm trying to join the new room, guessing I was the bad connection source? &#128577;

Ugh, guess so. Oh well.

Cerium

Do we have a Discord or are we just setting up online games in here?

I just bought the English version. :)
We've got a discord at the address zigg posted above, but we're mostly coordinating here.

Room is open again for another 5 minutes if you want to join us.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
dude its not that hard stack 2 towers .. on the left,
try to match up 3 max and then break chain with other color
build till top and drop garbo in right corner
try to break puyop at bottom

easy 3-5 chain

flohen95

Good battles domflo, we're pretty evenly matched. :)

Yeah, that was fun. Sorry for not writing anything in here sooner, but I've only got my phone on me for Internet access right now, and typing on this thing is a pain (especially when writing English because autocorrect, which assumes I'm writing in German, keeps screwing up the words).
I would have played a few more rounds, but I have to go to bed now. I'm definitely gonna try to join the next time, too.

Jintor

Forget puyo doctor dog is working me in Tetris 1-5 on default difficulty :(

Anywhere I can go for total beginner tips?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Pretty satisfying to get a perfect clear on someone 2 rounds in a row and have them just give up lol.

Forget puyo doctor dog is working me in Tetris 1-5 on default difficulty :(

Anywhere I can go for total beginner tips?

- Stack cleanly. Leave one deep hole on either the far left or the far right of the well, but make sure there aren't any other gaps.

- Don't forget to keep an eye on your Next 1 or 2 pieces, and use your hold box if your current piece can't be fit anywhere without making a hole.

- Build your stack relatively evenly, if possible. Typically, you shouldn't let one column rise 2 blocks higher than a neighboring column if you can prevent it. When the height of your stack starts to get really jagged with large peaks and valleys, then it means you become more dependent on specific pieces to fill those gaps before you start making more holes.

- In versus play, it's not good enough to clear one line at a time over and over again. You send more garbage to the opponent for clearing multiple lines at a time, so create a deep one-column hole to fill with I-blocks that clear 4 lines at a time.

James Chen messed around with the game a couple weeks ago and has a decent VOD to watch if you want somebody to break down the basics really well:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138589080

It's kind of a long video, so jump around to different parts. He plays some versus mode online, then some marathon practice. He's a rather old-school player who doesn't use much advanced/new stuff in this video, but he's very quick and very efficient at the fundamentals and does a good job at breaking down a lot of things that are less obvious to noobs. In particular, at some point in his marathon practice he goes over how to stack cleanly and work down through garbage effectively.

XaosWolf

100% on the main story now. Taking a break to play some other stuff before I dive into the 3 extra chapters.

Last battle was intense but I knew that I needed to at least get the prerequisite points out of the way before I could settle in and smash him down.

Was entertaining one of the last missions was to heat the opponent in 1:30. Rekt in like a 3rd of that. =P

Party is still the worst mode.

Pretty satisfying to get a perfect clear on someone 2 rounds in a row and have them just give up lol.

- Stack cleanly. Leave one deep hole on either the far left or the far right of the well, but make sure there aren't any other gaps.

- Don't forget to keep an eye on your Next 1 or 2 pieces, and use your hold box if your current piece can't be fit anywhere without making a hole.

- Build your stack relatively evenly, if possible. Typically, you shouldn't let one column rise 2 blocks higher than a neighboring column if you can prevent it. When the height of your stack starts to get really jagged with large peaks and valleys, then it means you become more dependent on specific pieces to fill those gaps before you start making more holes.

- In versus play, it's not good enough to clear one line at a time over and over again. You send more garbage to the opponent for clearing multiple lines at a time, so create a deep one-column hole to fill with I-blocks that clear 4 lines at a time.

James Chen messed around with the game a couple weeks ago and has a decent VOD to watch if you want somebody to break down the basics really well:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138589080

It's kind of a long video, so jump around to different parts. He plays some versus mode online, then some marathon practice. He's a rather old-school player who doesn't use much advanced/new stuff in this video, but he's very quick and very efficient at the fundamentals and does a good job at breaking down a lot of things that are less obvious to noobs. In particular, at some point in his marathon practice he goes over how to stack cleanly and work down through garbage effectively.

Thanks for this video. As a casual Tetris player, this gives me some great insights into more strategic play, but maybe more importantly it gives me a new appreciation for PLAYING SLOW to start. I thought being fast was the most important thing, and it is, but I was trying to do it without thinking about how to use holds or the previews at all, and watching Chen's video made me realize that the time I'm throwing away by hard-dropping everything could be used instead to learn to read the previews and figure out when to hold and when to put your held piece back in and so on. Basically, I tried to go fast too soon, I think.

Or maybe I'm totally taking the wrong lessons from this. Time to put some of these thoughts into practice...

Aki-at

My Tetris play is pretty good but I wish I was as fast and good at Puyo as some of the fastest Tetris players are at this game. A 40% win rate says it all :p

Really enjoying the game even if Draco doesn't appear in it as much, at least Risukuma is in it for a fair bit. Finding the story cute/funny more than I thought I would.

lt519

Hit 4460 and Virtuoso going 93-26 overall. Been beating a lot of people higher ranked tonight, been going with the two wide hole strategy and am getting pretty good at it.

Puyo players still give me a trouble here and there. I can seem to overwhelm some high end players by doing a quick Tetris and then surviving their initial onslaught. If I can survive that I usually fare well.

Edit: yeah going fast in Tetris against another good Tetris player won't end well, they'll let you waste your lines and then go to town on you.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Trying to figure out what the difference between Ranks and Leagues are.

Rank seems to be based strictly off of the Rating and W/L.
League seems to be based on consistency?

I'm like 2000 points behind S2 but just got promoted to the league he's in, so I figure I'm going to be stuck here for a while. :V

Top Bottom