• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Because it didn't have a digital version of Tetris before? I think the Ubisoft Tetris game being on PSN prevents PPT from being there as well, as I understand it.

Yep, probably the same reason the GB Tetris was removed off the 3DS Shop when the new Tetris game came out. They seem to have a weird restriction where there's only one Tetris game on any download service at any time.

Why did they allow a download version on Switch btw?
The license doesn't allow competing versions of Tetris on the same platform. So because every other system had a digital version of Tetris already they couldn't release all the different ports, but Switch is new and didn't have any yet so they were able to justify the release and threw a bone to PS4 players by working out the physical only deal.

The license doesn't allow competing versions of Tetris on the same platform. So because every other system had a digital version of Tetris already they couldn't release all the different ports, but Switch is new and didn't have any yet so they were able to justify the release and threw a bone to PS4 players by working out the physical only deal.

I see. That's really limiting. So this will be the only Switch Tetris game, or is there like a statute of limitations?

Cepheus

This game is scarily addictive and I can't stop playing it. I've unlocked all the characters, most of the voices and I'm currently at about 117% in story mode. I hate party and fusion mode though so I don't know if I can be bothered to try and get three stars in those missions.

Berordn

This will likely be the only Switch Tetris game, yes, unless they remove it from the eshop or some sort of deal is struck.

To be fair we don't actually know much about TPCi's current deal with Sega or if they're even doing a deal like they did with Ubisoft's game again.

It could be that they're breaking the exclusivity deal going forward but Ubisoft's game is still grandfathered in.

XaosWolf

I'm hoping part of the deal for getting it out in the west is that it's also the only Puyo Puyo game out, not just Tetris.

And unless this does exceptionally well it be the only Puyo Puyo game on this system too.
=(

ZeroX03

Banned
5-9 kicking my ass. Even if I wait and counter I still end up eventually overwhelmed by speed. Gotta learn to properly T spin.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping part of the deal for getting it out in the west is that it's also the only Puyo Puyo game out, not just Tetris.

And unless this does exceptionally well it be the only Puyo Puyo game on this system too.
=(

I am 90% sure that there will be another Puyo game on Switch. IIRC Puyo is most successful on Nintendo handhelds, and the Switch is a Nintendo handheld for all intents and purposes.

Will that game see an English release? That is the question.

XaosWolf

Wow these Big Bang and Fever chapters are suuuuuuuuper easy. =/

I am 90% sure that there will be another Puyo game on Switch. IIRC Puyo is most successful on Nintendo handhelds, and the Switch is a Nintendo handheld for all intents and purposes.

Will that game see an English release? That is the question.

Sorry, I meant in the West. At least we can easily import any JP titles now.
Heck if Sega slipped in some English text option that would work too.

KDR_11k

People should make sure to watch the advanced (and often the intermediate) tutorials for each mode, they go into comboing and special rules quite well.

I'm not too sure about the balance in Fusion mode, it almost seems you can only lose if you screw up hard since garbage puyos can be cleared off by dropping a block on them. Maybe if you do a one hit kill combo on someone but there's absolutely no chance of gradually overwhelming them with garbage as the game cycles to blocks pretty regularly.

BTW, I once read that modern Tetris games use a grab bag randomizer (gives you the 7 pieces in a random order before repeating), is that the case here or does it allow duplicates more rapidly?

Stopdoor

I'm in chapter 4 of adventure mode and regularly struggling. Guess I really need to practice my t spins and my transitions.

I'm midway through Chapter 5 and I wouldn't say it's that hard, obviously T-spins are good to know but doing back-to-back Tetrises and combos was enough to get through those for me.

Conan-san

Dumb question: is the system save file on a per user basis on the switch? IE: If I switch :)V) to my JP account will it act as if I'm initlizing the game again?

Ndayday

Neo Member
People should make sure to watch the advanced (and often the intermediate) tutorials for each mode, they go into comboing and special rules quite well.

I'm not too sure about the balance in Fusion mode, it almost seems you can only lose if you screw up hard since garbage puyos can be cleared off by dropping a block on them. Maybe if you do a one hit kill combo on someone but there's absolutely no chance of gradually overwhelming them with garbage as the game cycles to blocks pretty regularly.

BTW, I once read that modern Tetris games use a grab bag randomizer (gives you the 7 pieces in a random order before repeating), is that the case here or does it allow duplicates more rapidly?

That's why online I've found that timing chains for after their tetris pieces come is good. Of course they can always hold one, but depending on what they have going it can definitely make them pop weak combos or play catch-up.

And yes, that is the case.

jonno394

I take a week off and then dive back in to chapter 4, and suddenly i can't chain puyos to save my life.

Took me nearly an hour to 3 star 4-4 they 4-7.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I went full rage mode on mission 4-5
I 3 starred it after 12 tries

Fucking mad
Puyo puyo is evil.

japtor

Saw an open room and joined in for some 4 player action, it was cool.

Sure I destroyed them all and went down to 3 players, but still cool.

Then it was 1 on 1, I was down with that too.

Then I think that last guy/gal disconnected on me.

😑

Cerium

This game is humbling. I now know that I suck. But the game is so good that I'm motivated to get better. I'm going through the resources on Puyo Nexus and slowly trying to teach myself in endless mode.

I'm guessing the Hard Drop wiki is the equivalent for Tetris?

By the way, I really actually like the English voice acting. It's good. Ringo is a standout. Don't know what people were complaining about.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Seems like the game is selling pretty decently at the eShop, at least in Canada. Jumped to the 2nd place only behind MK8D.

Fireblend

Banned
This game is humbling. I now know that I suck. But the game is so good that I'm motivated to get better. I'm going through the resources on Puyo Nexus and slowly trying to teach myself in endless mode.

I'm guessing the Hard Drop wiki is the equivalent for Tetris?

By the way, I really actually like the English voice acting. It's good. Ringo is a standout. Don't know what people were complaining about.
After P5 and this I've come to the conclusion that for some weird reason english dubs for japanese games don't work in trailers even when they're great. Everyone complained about em from how they sounded in trailers but after spending some time with the actual games they weren't only fine but really really good.

Cerium

I was trying to figure out why I liked the Adventure Mode so much and I just realized it reminds me of a Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Ah youth.

After P5 and this I've come to the conclusion that for some weird reason english dubs for japanese games don't work in trailers even when they're great. Everyone complained about em from how they sounded in trailers but after spending some time with the actual games they weren't only fine but really really good.

It's because voice acting alone does not make a dub great, it's translation as well.

Made it through Act 7 of Adventure mode. Now I just need to finish the three extra Acts to unlock
the Sonic and Gameboy skins
. How difficult are the final three Acts?

G. said:
C_Fd5rpVYAAv5Ib.jpg:large

Get fucked 5-9!

This level made me a better player for sure!

I saw it came back in stock on Amazon UK and bought it. This is some good stuff. I enjoyed the demo with my house mates which made me pull the trigger on the Switch version.

Also how much story is there?! What is this deep lore of Puyo and Tetris?!

Kneefoil

I've been playing with random skins, and I just got for the first time the tetronimo skin that looks like a bunch of different colored puyos. I was so confused at what game mode I was playing, and had a hard time sometimes making out the shapes because all I saw was puyos. Whoever designed that skin is a public menace.

E-flux

Those who are decent at puyo puyo, would you consider endless puyo to be a good learning tool to a complete novice like me? I just get bored if i jump into an empty game and try to build chains, but then on the otherhand i get destroyed online and the bots usually screw me over and make me lose my strain of thought when trying to create the patterns. Since endless puyo starts with the chains already on the board it kinda feels like i might be getting better at seeing the patterns.

javadoze

I've been playing with random skins, and I just got for the first time the tetronimo skin that looks like a bunch of different colored puyos. I was so confused at what game mode I was playing, and had a hard time sometimes making out the shapes because all I saw was puyos. Whoever designed that skin is a public menace.

Embrace it.

C-2SIeKXYAAmZYU.jpg

Help me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh wait, I can tell which ones are suppose to be minos

...the ones that have 4 colors all together but aren't fused. i.e. the T-shaped yellow on the left & the L-shaped yellow on the right.

......that, & it looks like the puyos are classic while the minos are default puyos.

Cerium

I just created an Online Lobby.

Password: 0420

Let's get some games going!

edit: GG. Whoever you are, you're way too good at Puyo.

XaosWolf

Score related Party mode missions are the worst thing I've encountered in the game so far. Especially on the Puyo side.

There can be no planning when you're guarding from garbage, party effects AND the random item placement on your own side.

I only have to score 8000 points but as soon as the opponent gets the Freeze item then it just wastes my time until it runs out and I end up with only 4-5000 instead.

Super frustrating. =/

EDIT: Done but only by like 48 points. Jeezums. At least now I've unlocked Schezo! =D

MrPanic

Yo, the disconnects on this game man, it drives me nuts. So annoying.

There really has to be a rating penalty for the person causing the dc, people just keep leaving like no tomorrow.

ChrisD

There really has to be a rating penalty for the person causing the dc, people just keep leaving like no tomorrow.

I think (hope) it penalizes the enemy. Went against someone with 1300 points the other day who ragequit on me. I don't think they got there through actual losses, because that is a LOT of losing.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

This is the shit you get when you have an overal score.

Will play online when devs kill this shit

BiggNife

Score related Party mode missions are the worst thing I've encountered in the game so far. Especially on the Puyo side.

There can be no planning when you're guarding from garbage, party effects AND the random item placement on your own side.

I only have to score 8000 points but as soon as the opponent gets the Freeze item then it just wastes my time until it runs out and I end up with only 4-5000 instead.

Super frustrating. =/

EDIT: Done but only by like 48 points. Jeezums. At least now I've unlocked Schezo! =D
Yeah the puyo party missions are awful

I can't get more than one star on 6-8 because I always get fucked by either garbage or an item right before I get a big chain going.

Top Bottom