• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

S2

Trying to figure out what the difference between Ranks and Leagues are.

Rank seems to be based strictly off of the Rating and W/L.
League seems to be based on consistency?

I'm like 2000 points behind S2 but just got promoted to the league he's in, so I figure I'm going to be stuck here for a while. :V
Your league ups are pretty much based on winning a ton of matches in a row.
Pretty hard to do when the only people I get matched up with right now are insane Puyo players or Tetris players who are fast enough to make it mathematically impossible for Puyo to win...

For those of you having problems with disconnecters, Puyo Puyo Tetris actually does try to punish DCers with a loss of 50 points if it can detect the DC properly.

mstevens

Your league ups are pretty much based on winning a ton of matches in a row.
Pretty hard to do when the only people I get matched up with right now are insane Puyo players or Tetris players who are fast enough to make it mathematically impossible for Puyo to win...

For those of you having problems with disconnecters, Puyo Puyo Tetris actually does try to punish DCers with a loss of 50 points if it can detect the DC properly.

Hey man - as a Puyo Puyo (very) beginner, I wanted to say thanks for making those tutorials. They're really helpful!

I was wondering if you are planning to ever make some videos on your own channel maybe that go a little slower? It'd be really helpful to see someone dropping the different builds slowly, maybe even pausing, and explaining slowly as they go. I get a little overwhelmed and can't exactly follow everything when things are dropping so fast. I can get 3-chains regularly, because I think that's about as far as the tutorials go before they started to speed through the rest of the chain build. I've mostly been practicing sandwiching. The trouble I get into is accidentally using a color again too soon and including the piece that was supposed to drop as a part of the next trigger, OR by covering up the space where I need to build up the trigger. I also have a really bad habit of building too vertically, so I'll check out the GTR video again.

This Hernan tutorial is kinda what I'm talking about when he stops at every step and highlghts things, but he unfortunately never followed his video up https://youtu.be/uJszHBGaYh0?t=3m36s

Would love even just some commentary over endless puyo or something.

Crazyorloco

My impressions...

This is one of the best games on the switch (fantastic for on the go gaming). Best puzzle game of the year for me. The amount of content and gameplay variation make it worth it. You're going to come back to this game. You will put hours in.

Adventure/story mode is in this - it didn't even need that lol

I'm more of a puyo player, but making everything fall neatly in Tetris calms me.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

And every other person 1000+ pts below you bails on you when they see your rating. >_>

BiggNife

7-4 is breaking me

Puyo by itself is difficult for me so Fusion is an eternal struggle

Ess is always setting up massive chains and it feels like no amount of garbage blocks can stop her

lt519

And every other person 1000+ pts below you bails on you when they see your rating. >_>

I love playing top Puyo even knowing I'll get annihilated, every now and then I'll take down a Top 500 by surprise and it feels great.

I actually leave if anyone is under 3000, feel like it's an unfair matchup. Dunno if that's hurting my League status though, oh well. I've made it to Virtuoso which seems pretty high, I'm gonna hit my ceiling soon, I won't be able to regularly compete in the 5000s and I'm at 4500 now.

S2

Hey man - as a Puyo Puyo (very) beginner, I wanted to say thanks for making those tutorials. They're really helpful!

I was wondering if you are planning to ever make some videos on your own channel maybe that go a little slower? It'd be really helpful to see someone dropping the different builds slowly, maybe even pausing, and explaining slowly as they go. I get a little overwhelmed and can't exactly follow everything when things are dropping so fast. I can get 3-chains regularly, because I think that's about as far as the tutorials go before they started to speed through the rest of the chain build. I've mostly been practicing sandwiching. The trouble I get into is accidentally using a color again too soon and including the piece that was supposed to drop as a part of the next trigger, OR by covering up the space where I need to build up the trigger. I also have a really bad habit of building too vertically, so I'll check out the GTR video again.

This Hernan tutorial is kinda what I'm talking about when he stops at every step and highlghts things, but he unfortunately never followed his video up https://youtu.be/uJszHBGaYh0?t=3m36s

Would love even just some commentary over endless puyo or something.
Idk a video like this -- one that goes even further in depth into the build orders for making chains -- will require a ton of footage and lots of video editing and I'm bad at video editing lol. I will try to make videos like that eventually I guess...

Well it's more like there's other insane Japanese Puyo players 1000 pts below me who are also struggling to grind up. If I win against them, I only get 4 points; but if I lose to them, I lose like 20 lol. It's hard to make any progress and demotion matches are frequent.

Anybody here do single joycon puyo tetris local multiplayer yet? Wondering if I should bring the switch and a few joycons to some get togethers and have people play. If the single joycon control method makes it terrible though then maybe I won't haha.

Sixfortyfive

Anybody here do single joycon puyo tetris local multiplayer yet? Wondering if I should bring the switch and a few joycons to some get togethers and have people play. If the single joycon control method makes it terrible though then maybe I won't haha.

Single-joycon is unplayable imo.

Maybe one of those weird control schemes like one-handed mode can suffice if you can wrap your head around it.

The main problem with the single joycon setup is accidental hard drop inputs (which is why you constantly get people asking how to remap hard drop from up)

ghibli99

Been playing this for the past few days, and am very impressed with it as an overall package. Feels very complete and even more so with all the content, unlockables, etc. Very polished too. Everything looks super-clean, colorful, and runs so smoothly. Between this, Isaac, and Mario Kart, I think I'm good for the next month+ and beyond. :)

Single-joycon is unplayable imo.

Maybe one of those weird control schemes like one-handed mode can suffice if you can wrap your head around it.

I haven't had a single issue with single joycon play. Works fine.

Hm...tough call, lol. I might have to get a friend or two to play and see if it becomes unbearable.

The main problem with the single joycon setup is accidental hard drop inputs (which is why you constantly get people asking how to remap hard drop from up)

That's one of the problems I predicted even before asking. I'm kinda seeing it now from the pro controller since up/down seem to trigger sometimes if you're not super precise with your left-right inputs. Such a shame because slapping the switch down in front of 3 other people and getting them to throw down would be super amazing.

Am I the only one who thinks this game is incredibly unbalanced in favor of Puyo? Especially online on a more competitive level, Puyo players just blast the shit out of you by pulling off a few simple chains whereas I have one replay where I had 3 Tetris in a row and the Puyo player was easily able to shake that off... This is just frustrating :(

RRockman

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks this game is incredibly unbalanced in favor of Puyo? Especially online on a more competitive level, Puyo players just blast the shit out of you by pulling off a few simple chains whereas I have one replay where I had 3 Tetris in a row and the Puyo player was easily able to shake that off... This is just frustrating :(

Not really, you just can't let them set up. You must pepper them with t-spin doubles and triples and three line clears to stop immediate chains and NEVER let up. You gotta be fast.

Why does the hard drop (Dpad Up) doesn't work when playing Puyo Puyo but does when playing Tetris and Fusion? What gives? I'm playing on PS4.

This game made me quickly realize the issues with the Pro controller. After about 5 minute of play - the D-Pad starts 'sticking' and causing unwanted hard drops in Tetris. Happens on both of my Pro controllers.

I like the pad otherwise - but weren't people going on and on about how this was one of the best controllers of all time? Not when it does this.

Fireblend

Banned
Why does the hard drop (Dpad Up) doesn't work when playing Puyo Puyo but does when playing Tetris and Fusion? What gives? I'm playing on PS4.

Hard drop isn't a standard Puyo Puyo move. Puyo is more about strategically placing your pieces and less about speed. That said, I think you can enable it for some modes in the customize menu? (maybe just for those you mentioned tho).

This game made me quickly realize the issues with the Pro controller. After about 5 minute of play - the D-Pad starts 'sticking' and causing unwanted hard drops in Tetris. Happens on both of my Pro controllers.

I like the pad otherwise - but weren't people going on and on about how this was one of the best controllers of all time? Not when it does this.
Yeah that's a well known issue. Supposedly people have been having good experiences after having them replaced. I haven't bought one yet, will wait for the issue to disappear, plus I'm perfectly fine playing with my joycons.

atmuh

yeah the pro controller is actually trash

yeah the pro controller is actually trash

First time Im hearing this. That sucks
Hard drop isn't a standard Puyo Puyo move. Puyo is more about strategically placing your pieces and less about speed. That said, I think you can enable it for some modes in the customize menu? (maybe just for those you mentioned tho).
Yeah, it works with Puyos when playing Fusion, just not straight up Puyo Puyo. I'm guessing now that that's normal huh?

Berordn

First time Im hearing this. That sucks

Yeah, it works with Puyos when playing Fusion, just not straight up Puyo Puyo. I'm guessing now that that's normal huh?

It's active by default in Fusion, Party (because it plays as an extension of 7's transformation ruleset, I think), Big Bang, Endless Mini Puyo and Non-Stop Fever off the top of my head. It can be enabled in every other mode as well in the game setup settings.

Wouldn't call the Pro Controller trash. But for $70, I would expect a D-Pad that doesn't stick - especially considering it's the ONLY real D-Pad available for the Switch.

Kinda' sad that I have to use the L-Stick just to play Tetris.

IMO Puyo has an advantage at low and mid-level play but if you're playing Tetris at a high level, doing T-spins and Tetrises and back-to-back stuff consistently you can majorly mess with Puyo setups and make it very difficult for them to access the chains they built.

japtor

I've gotten used to it for 3-4 player with my two sets, but still have issues. Last time I played accidental hard drops weren't the issue as much as accidental left/right input while dropping.

I eventually switched to trying one hand mode, which let me use the dpad buttons as usual while I tried to use the shoulder buttons as rotate/hold with my other hand. One of the tabletop ones would work ok too if you can get your head around it.

But the controls haven't been the biggest issue actually, I've gotten noticeable input lag and sticking while docked, albeit that's not limited to single joycon mode...basically I can't play on a TV cause of it. I'm getting a set of joycons replaced for it, otherwise I gotta send the whole thing in cause it might be the system itself cause it's happening with all my joycons.

Berordn

But the controls haven't been the biggest issue actually, I've gotten noticeable input lag and sticking while docked, albeit that's not limited to single joycon mode...basically I can't play on a TV cause of it. I'm getting a set of joycons replaced for it, otherwise I gotta send the whole thing in cause it might be the system itself cause it's happening with all my joycons.

This sounds more like calibration settings on the TV if it's happening with every controller. Does it have a Game mode you can enable to test?

Sixfortyfive

I was going to ask how you guys were playing it, Pro or Joy-cons, seems like most people prefer the Joy-cons.

Personally I think most control schemes are fine.

Handheld with joycons attached only bothers me if I'm using the analog sticks for a while, but that's not a problem for this game since it's buttons-only.

Joycon grip is fine. It's how I usually play.

There are a lot of complaints about the pro controller's d-pad, but the one I tried seemed fine.

I don't like separated joycons at all but that's probably more of a preference thing.

Calling single-joycon "unplayable" might be an exaggeration, but it's the only type that I have to deliberately slow down to avoid misfires.

Tyeforce

Do you really have to 3-star every mission in Adventure mode in order to get 100%?! The Tetris missions are doable for me, but it was a struggle to even get 1 star on Puyo Puyo missions because I'm absolutely terrible at chaining. Guess I'm never getting 100% in this game. ._.

javadoze

Do you really have to 3-star every mission in Adventure mode in order to get 100%?! The Tetris missions are doable for me, but it was a struggle to even get 1 star on Puyo Puyo missions because I'm absolutely terrible at chaining. Guess I'm never getting 100% in this game. ._.

All the chapters add up to 130% since this game includes the 3 additional DLC chapters. So you don't even have to get a 3-star on every mission for 100%.

Menitta

I put a few hours into the demo. If a game is good enough to get a few hours out of me with a demo, then it deserves a purchase.
Just wanna make sure, it has endless Tetris, right? I saw Endless Puyo Puyo in the splash screen thing in the demo.

Edit: welp if it doesn't I'm screwed because I bought it.

I put a few hours into the demo. If a game is good enough to get a few hours out of me with a demo, then it deserves a purchase.
Just wanna make sure, it has endless Tetris, right? I saw Endless Puyo Puyo in the splash screen thing in the demo.

Edit: welp if it doesn't I'm screwed because I bought it.

Yes, although if you're above average at Tetris then endless mode literally is, well, endless so you probably won't be playing it too much anyway.

Menitta

Yes, although if you're above average at Tetris then endless mode literally is, well, endless so you probably won't be playing it too much anyway.

Oh I'm no good at Tetris. I've dabbled in the NES game here and there but this is the first time I'll be diving into a game like this. The Vs CPU in the demo wasn't really enough.

Edit: also I don't know if the Vs CPU mode is a barometer of skill but I won maybe 3/15 times.

Oh I'm no good at Tetris. I've dabbled in the NES game here and there but this is the first time I'll be diving into a game like this. The Vs CPU in the demo wasn't really enough.

Ah ok in that case you'll enjoy it :) it's in challenge mode as marathon I believe and then you have to go into options and turn endless on (otherwise it ends at level 15)

Yeah you probably wont go on forever in endless mode then. You'd probably be beating the cpu every time if you could. The thing with endless mode is if you don't panic then even at the highest difficulty you have forever to think about where to place the pieces because of the multiple rotation you get before it clicks into place.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Picked this up the other day (PS4) and I'm loving it. I'm pretty good at Tetris (319 lines in Endless is my record at the moment) but trash at Puyo. However I'm learning. Think I've got the "stairs" chain down pretty well. Need to work on learning some of the others.

You could always disable hard drop, idk if casual players even care about it not existing.

Good idea. Even though I'll hate not having it lol. I guess I'll bring the switch over to a get together in a couple weeks and it'll be a puyo/bomberman party!

I've gotten used to it for 3-4 player with my two sets, but still have issues. Last time I played accidental hard drops weren't the issue as much as accidental left/right input while dropping.

I eventually switched to trying one hand mode, which let me use the dpad buttons as usual while I tried to use the shoulder buttons as rotate/hold with my other hand. One of the tabletop ones would work ok too if you can get your head around it.

Thanks for your input. Luckily enough my original set of joycons is pretty good, and I wouldn't be playing docked if I'm taking it to someone else's place.

Sign me under the group that says the pro controller is kind of trash for this game. I should just use the joycon grip instead of fighting with the pro controller d-pad.

Tain

Anybody have the background unlock requirements? I want to know how to get the Sega Tetris background, beat through the 10 adventure mode chapters without seeing it.

Picked this up the other day (PS4) and I'm loving it. I'm pretty good at Tetris (319 lines in Endless is my record at the moment) but trash at Puyo. However I'm learning. Think I've got the "stairs" chain down pretty well. Need to work on learning some of the others.
You can get pretty far with just stairs if your fundamentals are solid (and consequently you'll struggle no matter how many forms you learn if you have poor fundamentals). The #1 player in Texas is rated like 6900 and does nothing but stairs

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You can get pretty far with just stairs if your fundamentals are solid (and consequently you'll struggle no matter how many forms you learn if you have poor fundamentals). The #1 player in Texas is rated like 6900 and does nothing but stairs

I mean, this probably isn't a great basis to judge skill on, but when I do Endless Puyo (Spicy handicap since that's what Adventure mode uses and I'm mostly using Endless to practice for that), I can get around ~850 Puyos cleared regularly. After that the speed starts to get to me.

Sixfortyfive

Anybody have the background unlock requirements? I want to know how to get the Sega Tetris background, beat through the 10 adventure mode chapters without seeing it.

Try 3-starring everything, starting with chapters 8 through 10. I think a lot of unlocks are stowed away in those chapters because that's where all the former DLC from previous versions is.

If unlocks aren't kept in those chapters specifically then just go for 130%.

I mean, this probably isn't a great basis to judge skill on, but when I do Endless Puyo (Spicy handicap since that's what Adventure mode uses and I'm mostly using Endless to practice for that), I can get around ~850 Puyos cleared regularly. After that the speed starts to get to me.

Spicy Puyo = 5 colors, and I'm pretty sure Adventure mode sticks with 4 colors the whole way through.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Try 3-starring everything, starting with chapters 8 through 10. I think a lot of unlocks are stowed away in those chapters because that's where all the former DLC from previous versions is.

If unlocks aren't kept in those chapters specifically then just go for 130%.

Spicy Puyo = 5 colors, and I'm pretty sure Adventure mode sticks with 4 colors the whole way through.

Really? Could swear I've seen purple Puyos in Adventure. Hm.

EDIT: Doesn't it go Sweet: Red/Blue/Green, Medium: +Yellow, Spicy: +Yellow and Purple?

Top Bottom