• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Dominator

Booted up the game, hit Tetris from the main menu and got 150 lines...

First time I've ever done it, and will probably be the last. My best before that was like 102 lines. That shit was coming down at lightning speeds, I started sweating.

I did this just before bed. I'm rather happy with myself. I doubt I'll do endless marathon again anytime soon though, that was actually a work out.
C_GIXNDUMAAcdh5.jpg

Gonna use birthday money to get the English version and play through adventure mode again.

Apparently the localization is pretty damn good.

XaosWolf

There are clearly some VAs in the localisation that have gone all in on the silliness here.

Schezo and Dark Prince are standouts and I love how Ringo and Tee are there to lampshade all the weird stuff that's going on.

Overall the localisation is spot on, especially for Adventure Mode.

ChrisD

The Adventure Mode is definitely fun/ny. It makes me think of a kid's cartoon, but it throws in some older humor. Definitely didn't expect it to be as good as it is.

Amitie is just plain annoying, though.

S2

Yeah the puyo party missions are awful

I can't get more than one star on 6-8 because I always get fucked by either garbage or an item right before I get a big chain going.
Hard drop is enabled for puyo in party mode so use that to play as fast as possible before items hit I guess.

As of 06 May 2017

fmhKMPX.png

World (includes people who haven't selected a region): 31124

Countries (Europe)

Great Britain (UK) 1081
France 938
Germany 872
Spain 507
Netherlands 182
Sweden 154
Italy 138
Belgium 121
Austria 108
Switzerland 81
Norway 68
Ireland 56
Finland 47
Denmark 41
Portugal 37
Russia 37
Poland 36
Greece 21

Countries (Other)
(Excluding USA & Japan)

Canada 1245
Australia 290
China 239
Mexico 149
South Korea 83
Brazil 61
Chile 58
New Zealand 31
Argentina 28
Indonesia 27
Costa Rica 11
South Africa 11

States (USA)

California 2072
Texas 847
New York 830
Florida 632
Illinois 504
Washington 442
New Jersey 412
Pennsylvania 399
Michigan 398
Ohio 375
North Carolina 248
Georgia 238
Colorado 219
Alabama 172
Tennessee 165
Hawaii 74

Locations (Japan)

Tokyo 1060
Hokkaido 748
Osaka 710
Kanagawa 604
Saitama 521
Fukuoka 317
Kyoto 220
Fukushima 130
Aomori 106
Iwate 88
Nagasaki 61

jonno394

Finished up Chapter 6, but man, i'm not good enough to 3 star about half of these levels. Party mode is really my weak link in terms of game modes, really can't get good at it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Can I be safe in assuming there are no plans for a Steam release of this game?

Also, if I'm not a fan of Tetris but love Puyo Puyo, do you still recommend the game?

XaosWolf

Finished up Chapter 6, but man, i'm not good enough to 3 star about half of these levels. Party mode is really my weak link in terms of game modes, really can't get good at it.

I don't think anyone is actually "good" at Party Mode. It adds an extra layer of unpredictability with its item drops even on your own field.

Also, if I'm not a fan of Tetris but love Puyo Puyo, do you still recommend the game?

Unlikely to come to Steam with The Tetris Company's licencing weirdness exists as there is already Tetris Ultimate out on Steam.

As for the 2nd question: About half the game is Tetris so it depends on how much you don't like Tetris.

Adventure Mode is a mix of all the different modes gameplay-wise but the story is a goofy Puyo style affair.

I'd still recommend buying it because we don't exactly get many Puyo games in the west and there IS plenty if content. You may even get into Tetris along the way or at least the Fusion mode. =)

XaosWolf

Alright I'm done with this. FUCK Party mode. It's the worst puzzle game mode I've played in over a decade.

I shouldn't have to be concerned for my own items blocking off any trigger points and aiding the opponent. I'm not good enough at Puyo Puyo to brute force my way through these like I could in Tetris especially when the AI can just lazily create a chain and bombard me with item effects that they can just ignore.

And this is only 6-5! 8500 points in 120 seconds with all of the party mode bullshit going on. If I wanted more Mario Kart frustration I would have kept on playing Mario Kart.

EDIT: Double post >=|

EDIT 2: Hey it worked. Getting mad usually helps me play better. Fucking destroyed him. 15192 points.

Stopdoor

Alright I'm done with this. FUCK Party mode. It's the worst puzzle game mode I've played in over a decade.

I shouldn't have to be concerned for my own items blocking off any trigger points and aiding the opponent. I'm not good enough at Puyo Puyo to brute force my way through these like I could in Tetris especially when the AI can just lazily create a chain and bombard me with item effects that they can just ignore.

And this is only 6-5! 8500 points in 120 seconds with all of the party mode bullshit going on. If I wanted more Mario Kart frustration I would have kept on playing Mario Kart.

Edit: Double post >=|

Remember, you're partying with AI. They're not generally known for being great party-goers.

Cerium

Adventure mode requires some Tetris but there are plenty of Puyo only options.

And you can always go online and destroy Tetris players with your bullshit Puyo chains. Online community is healthy on Switch.

This is my favorite game of the year besides Zelda right now.

meppi

Pretty sure my IQ is too low for me to set up a chain bigger than 2 by anything other than accident

Puyo Puyo takes a while to finally click.
Not that I'm very good at it because the last time I seriously played some competitive Puyo Puyo was on the Dreamcast with Puyo Puyo 4.
Bought every release since, even the ones that never got here but since I wasn't able to play those against others, my skills are pretty much gone as well.
Doesn't help that I mainly played Tetris on PS4/Vita. ;)

goldenpp72

So the last time I played any Tetris was on n64 and Puyo was on Genesis, but I managed to 130 percent story mode. Am I just that good or did the reviewers suck? I recall complaints about the challenge and was worried the whole game that I'd hit a wall. It wasn't easy but hardly insane.

XaosWolf

Remember, you're partying with AI. They're not generally known for being great party-goers.

I know, right. They know exactly where the donkey and its designated tail target are located, they can't drown when bobbing for apples, they know exactly when the music will stop for pass the parcel or musical chairs and they aren't programmed for inebriation.

The singularity is gonna suck because of this. >=(

Any Puyo Switch players want to play online with me today or tomorrow? :) What`s the best way to do this since I've not added friends on Switch yet so far.

they didn't release this digitally on ps4? wtf? i'd impulse buy it right now if it was. i'd go to best buy but it's a little late, i could do target but probably best waiting since i'd get points from BB.

before i dive in tomorrow, no word on a PC release, right? nor xbox?

cool, i'm in tomorrow i guess. wish i had considered this earlier, would be a perfect game to download digitally since it's short burst playstyle, but oh well.

Cerium

cool, i'm in tomorrow i guess. wish i had considered this earlier, would be a perfect game to download digitally since it's short burst playstyle, but oh well.

It is indeed a perfect digital game. I cancelled my physical preorder and am glad I ended up going digital.

It is indeed a perfect digital game. I cancelled my physical preorder and am glad I ended up going digital.

switch right? i was very surprised not to see it on PS4 digital. like do they ever delay digital releases on games? i'd way rather have it that way but i'll be settling for the disc tomo i guess since don't have switch.

1upsuper

switch right? i was very surprised not to see it on PS4 digital. like do they ever delay digital releases on games? i'd way rather have it that way but i'll be settling for the disc tomo i guess since don't have switch.
The Tetris Company is insane. PPT will never hit PSN because Ubisoft already has some Tetris crap on PSN IIRC, and TTC has a ridiculous policy about one Tetris game per console and format.

damn i didn't know they had that crazy policy. although to be fair the tetris on xbox 360 had people in lobbies years and years after it released, IMO that was a really good version of it.

i'm sonicjosh86 on PSN if anyone wants to add me to play (not like now but in general lol).

XaosWolf

Gotten up to 7-6 and Tee is kicking my ass. No idea what he's doing on his side to clear things so fast as well as making 7 chains but... I now hate Fusion mode almost as much as Party mode. I get a good chain going and then NOPE, time for Tetriminos.

The piece that switches between puyo and tetrimino on this stage is an awkward T block too. =/

EDIT: Is there some kind of rubberbanding going on on the AI?
I'm watching Tee go at a snails pace and just mindlessly clear some Puyo, then when I get a decent chain going he counters it super fast and sends it right back my way.
He just countered a 5 chain and a Tetris and I still have no idea what he did or how he did it.

EDIT 2: Yeah, scene 7-7 is never getting 3*. I can't even get anywhere near 150,000 points in Puyo even if it didn't start at level 25 speed.

EDIT 3: I stand corrected. I abused the hell out of Retry button. I still suck at Puyo Puyo. (And at this point I think I actually just don't like it)

Top Bottom