• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

Fireblend

Banned
Are certain unlocks really tied to the number of stars you get in adventure mode? Doesn't really affect me )so far, I'm down to the last 10% of the bonus acts) but I could see people getting frustrated with certain stages.

Kneefoil

If the alt voice is not on the store, I think you unlock it by beating a certain bonus level in Adventure mode. It's probably a world 9 stage for Sig.

Burbeting

Banned
Okay, okay. What's up with this game's online mode?

I tried it for the first time, thinking that the online would matchmake me against people around my rank. But nope! All of my matches are against people with ranking ranging from 4000 to 6500 or so. Which leads to all matches ending in 30 seconds, with opponents even creating 4 tetris' in a row in ten seconds, or puyo puyo chains that rack up their points to 15000 before I'm even able to make a single tetris line. Yep, I suck at this game, but... the game is literally matchmaking me instantly against people way above my level :(. I doubt it's fun for them, either.

S2

i don't think it's a problem with the matchmaking system. It's more like the daily online userbase for this game isn't very large despite what the numbers in that other topic would seem to suggest.

Gotta start roping your friends into getting the game lol

When you get the 4 chain:
tumblr_o91fm3jLkC1spiusno1_500.gif

Then the 5 chain:
tumblr_o97gvp91m61u890ndo3_500.gif

Then the 6 chain:
tumblr_static_tumblr_static_3b79okwnnn2888owsgwk0gck0_640.gif

lt519

Just ascended to Star League (4673), beat 4 or 5 4500+ players in a row. Including a 5609 player ranked 420 to cap it off.

Surprisingly they were only Wizard league, ranking must have been mostly due to sheer volume of playing.

106-26 overall now.

I tried it for the first time, thinking that the online would matchmake me against people around my rank. But nope! All of my matches are against people with ranking ranging from 4000 to 6500 or so. Which leads to all matches ending in 30 seconds, with opponents even creating 4 tetris' in a row in ten seconds, or puyo puyo chains that rack up their points to 15000 before I'm even able to make a single tetris line. Yep, I suck at this game, but... the game is literally matchmaking me instantly against people way above my level :(. I doubt it's fun for them, either.

That's lame, I back out unless someone is at least 3000+.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The best feeling while learning Puyo is from that point where your chain finally gets long enough so that your character just starts repeating his lines because he's run out of things to shout.

Doorman

I have a quick question about Big Bang Puyo:

I know that for the advanced folks the option is there to build upon the pre-set chains that each board gives you, and that it just takes one puyo to set it off...but is it actually set up in such a way that the first puyo you're given is the one you can start the chain with? I feel like there are times where I can see where the chain's supposed to work from, but it takes going through like 3 extra puyos before the one I need comes up and sometimes I've had that accidentally set something off elsewhere that doesn't work. In Lucky Tetris you always have just the pieces on hand that you need next without additional setup but Puyo doesn't seem to work quite the same way.

All I remember in PP Fever 2 was Amitie's JP VA shouting MITE MITE over and over in Fever mode lmao.

I have a quick question about Big Bang Puyo:

I know that for the advanced folks the option is there to build upon the pre-set chains that each board gives you, and that it just takes one puyo to set it off...but is it actually set up in such a way that the first puyo you're given is the one you can start the chain with? I feel like there are times where I can see where the chain's supposed to work from, but it takes going through like 3 extra puyos before the one I need comes up and sometimes I've had that accidentally set something off elsewhere that doesn't work. In Lucky Tetris you always have just the pieces on hand that you need next without additional setup but Puyo doesn't seem to work quite the same way.

Sometimes they try to bait you into messing something up by making you have to "wait" until you have the trigger Puyo. Remember you only need to clear the pre set Puyos to "clear" without failing. The ones they give you to use they don't care.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sometimes they try to bait you into messing something up by making you have to "wait" until you have the trigger Puyo. Remember you only need to clear the pre set Puyos to "clear" without failing. The ones they give you to use they don't care.

This is basically correct.

The game does not adapt the next piece queue in Puyo to the pre-set chain that it gives you. You're expected to make due with whatever random pieces are lined up next.

Doorman

Ah okay, thanks for the responses! I'd kind of expected as much by now but it's good to have more confirmation than just my own hunch.

Ah okay, thanks for the responses! I'd kind of expected as much by now but it's good to have more confirmation than just my own hunch.

I've lost matches because I tried to build something out of useless Puyos instead of just tossing the board and going for the next one lol.

Also Fusion mode has me setting up some weird combos. This game is amazing.

This game's online on PS4 is a barren wasteland. There are THREE people online on Free Play. Some other guy, me, and this insane Tetris player named Kaibutsu21 who kicked my ass in ways that I didn't even knew were possible.

How's the Switch version's online? Certainly can't be worse.

lt519

This game's online on PS4 is a barren wasteland. There are THREE people online on Free Play. Some other guy, me, and this insane Tetris player named Kaibutsu21 who kicked my ass in ways that I didn't even knew were possible.

There's a grand total of 5 people in free play on the Switch.

There seems to be a healthy population in Puzzle League though. I'll play for 2-3 hours a night with the only repeats being a couple rematch or two immediately following a match. I play Versus only lobby which certainly narrows it down as well.

Just played Puzzle League for an hour and was only able to win one round!!! Not one fight. Just one round once! I'm getting annihilated by these psychos that keep one-hit-kill-me by chaining like 6 Puyo chains.

I suck.

The free play online count only tracks players in open lobbies, so players currently in a match aren't considered at all. Kind of a major weakness along with the inability to spectate games in progress

Ladekabel

How long is the Adventure mode? Because I'm in Act 7 now and I don't know how much longer I can go because Fusion is shit. I don't care if it has a hidden depth or stuff like that.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Are we sure the characters closer to the top of the select screen are easier? Because I'm doing Versus against Risukuma and he's building these 5-and-6 chains constantly and absolutely demolishing me, and he's at the very top of the select screen.

EDIT: And as soon as I post that I absolutely crush him 2-0. I guess his weakness is that he likes to fill the screen up almost completely before triggering his combo, so if you time it right and hit him hard early on, you can beat him in one combo.

MrPanic

How long is the Adventure mode? Because I'm in Act 7 now and I don't know how much longer I can go because Fusion is shit. I don't care if it has a hidden depth or stuff like that.

7 is the final chapter of the story. 8, 9 and 10 than are bonus stories, not a lot of fusion in there.

Berordn

Are we sure the characters closer to the top of the select screen are easier? Because I'm doing Versus against Risukuma and he's building these 5-and-6 chains constantly and absolutely demolishing me, and he's at the very top of the select screen.

The ones at the top are generally easier. Risukuma's probably the clearest exception to that and similarly Arle and Suketodara are pretty easy. Bottom row seems to be the hardest characters and middle row is all sorts of jumbled.

Ladekabel

7 is the last one ordinarily, but there's 3 more EX chapters that were originally sold as DLC.

7 is the final chapter of the story. 8, 9 and 10 than are bonus stories, not a lot of fusion in there.

The existence of any fusion stages makes me lose interest in the ex stages.

Is there a trick to fusion? I beat Ess barely hanging to life and the stage the Tetris captain frustrates me again. I should gid gud but that mode brings out the worst in me.

Wonko_C

What's the best Puyo Puyo game besides this one for a total newbie to the series, who happens to be bad at puzzle games also? Any platform, new or old is fine.

Loving the game so far, I've barely touched anything other than the basic Tetris mode though. Its too addicting.

239k is my high score so far.

Berordn

Is there a trick to fusion? I beat Ess barely hanging to life and the stage the Tetris captain frustrates me again. I should gid gud but that mode brings out the worst in me.

Active chaining is the trick to fusion. Chains continue as new pieces fall, and just continuing to pop puyo or clear lines is how you rack up huge damage.

Sega (slash S2) has a good video for it here.

Fireblend

Banned
What I do with Fusion is wait until I have several color groups of 3, and I'm about to clear one or two tetris lines. Then just start popping the Puyo groups and clearing lines with every drop in succession to maintain a long active chain and once that's done that's usually it. The more pops/lines you can do in a row, the better.

I have 3 stars on every one of those levels.

Stopdoor

The good thing about Puyo/Tetris online is if someone's really good, it's over quickly, so I don't feel too bad about. Unlike something like an FPS deathmatch. And you might surprise yourself giving it a chance and put up a decent fight with someone.

Free Play lobbies are dead on Switch too, it's all about Puzzle League.

Fusion is really easy in those stages with basic strategy, it's all about keeping up your combo - unlike regular Puyo you can keep dropping more Puyos to extend your combo, so you just make tons of 3-chains, set up a Tetris, and when stuff starts to pop, quickly catch as many of those 3-chains or Tetris lines as you can.

Setting off any combo delays the dropping of garbage and Tetris blocks clear garbage, so it's a bit easier to play defensive.

What's the best Puyo Puyo game besides this one for a total newbie to the series, who happens to be bad at puzzle games also? Any platform, new or old is fine.
If you are comfortable not having English, the 3DS version of Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary is imo the best, with Puyo Puyo Chronicles a close second.

There are English translation patches for Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary and Puyo Puyo 7 but those games are less fondly regarded for a variety of reasons.

A month ago I'd only faintly heard of Puyo Puyo and hadn't played an official Tetris release since the Game Boy. (T-spins, holds, wall kicks? What are those?) Loved the demo, but didn't think I had any real ambitions in either game apart from having a good bite-sized filler for idle minutes on the Switch, and didn't anticipate needing more than what the demo offered.

Somewhere along the way I started practicing basic 3/4/5-chains and T-spin triple setups just to get to the point of putting up a fight against the CPU, and at that point I knew I had to give the full game a look. So today I picked it up at last. Instant 150-line Marathon Tetris from the main menu and the stats/achievements page won me over immediately, and I rapidly 3-starred all of Worlds 1 and 2, some of it in tabletop mode while loading or queuing for other multiplayer games on PC. A beginner's accomplishment, I know, but it's a start, and I've definitely become ensnared in the loop of striving to improve.

Not heading online until I have the fundamentals down, though.

Bluth54

So does the story for Puyo Puyo Tetris continue from the last Puyo Puyo game? It was such crazy non-sense that I started skipping the story scenes after the first world.

Soph

I have a problem, after playing a marathon of this game with a friend I keep hearing the jolly "Tetris!" in my head by different voice actors for the past three days.

So does the story for Puyo Puyo Tetris continue from the last Puyo Puyo game? It was such crazy non-sense that I started skipping the story scenes after the first world.

I mean the story is self-contained but there's like dozens of games worth of character interactions and relationships that you're​ out of the loop of if you never played a Puyo Puyo game. Even the cast of characters are self-contained in a sense that they are all from different eras of the series. To put it another way, it's as if some of the cast of the Original Generation of Star Trek lived in a town with the some cast of The Next Generation and some of the cast of Deep Space Nine.

Amalthea

Banned
I dunno why that is but in every puzzle game I reach a point where I start to suck so badly that I cant even beat the earliest levels again or beat my own high-scores...

Berordn

I mean the story is self-contained but there's like dozens of games worth of character interactions and relationships that you're​ out of the loop of if you never played a Puyo Puyo game. Even the cast of characters are self-contained in a sense that they are all from different eras of the series. To put it another way, it's as if some of the cast of the Original Generation of Star Trek lived in a town with the some cast of The Next Generation and some of the cast of Deep Space Nine.

The other important thing to remember is that Puyo characters are fairly one dimensional and once you know their personality quirks, backstory is irrelevant.

Arle is the chipper and determined hero who believes in justice and helping others.
Amitie is the bumbling wizard in training who means well but isn't all there.
Ringo is the deadpan snarker with a heart of gold.
Satan Dark Prince is in love with Arle for reasons that just aren't important anymore, despite being evil.
Draco is a self-proclaimed rival to Arle who's more concerned with looks than anything else.
Risukuma is weird but smart.

And so on. Each character's introduction tells you basically all you need to know about them (though you might still be a bit confused about why they go between Tokyo and Primp Town).

chogidogs

I finished the story mode back when I imported the Japanese version for the PS4. Now I'm wondering how I did it as I am stuck on the last chapter right now on Switch.

Echoing everybody's FUCK FUSION MODE sentiment.

Top Bottom