• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game is such bullshit, did the mask dungeon 6 times just needing 1 green demon mask, not a single fuck was given by gungtroll. So that's fun. Wasted all that stamina.

Game is such bullshit, did the mask dungeon 6 times just needing 1 green demon mask, not a single fuck was given by gungtroll. So that's fun. Wasted all that stamina.
I think you are much better off running the normal dungeons at 1.5x drop for demon masks. They're pretty common there. Usually only takes 2-3 runs which is equivalent to one expert mask run.

Radav

I think you are much better off running the normal dungeons at 1.5x drop for demon masks. They're pretty common there. Usually only takes 2-3 runs which is equivalent to one expert mask run.

Yep definitely much better off doing this versus hoping it drops randomly in the wed. dungeons.

J0dy77

So glad I went hardcore on the 2x event. Haven't even thought about a daily dungeon outside of Thursday dragon plants. Focusing on leveling only.

So glad I went hardcore on the 2x event. Haven't even thought about a daily dungeon outside of Thursday dragon plants. Focusing on leveling only.

There really needs to be another feasible way to get Dragon Plants. I don't care if they add another day or a HIGH level dungeon that only drops plants with a large stamina cost. Anything else would be better than this 1 day stuff given plants are so widely needed for growth.

if 1.5drop tech dungeons a new weekly thing i got 2 azures on monday just going through the dungeons as i could take them. Mask day has been mystic mask only day for me.

TimeKillr

There really needs to be another feasible way to get Dragon Plants. I don't care if they add another day or a HIGH level dungeon that only drops plants with a large stamina cost. Anything else would be better than this 1 day stuff given plants are so widely needed for growth.

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous.

We need SOO many Dragon Plants it's not even funny. They are the only consistent way of leveling stuff - you can't rely on getting kings, you can't rely on getting mediums. You can only rely on farming small dragons + pengdras... And then you're stuck because you need to spend so much god damn stamina on thursdays...

I know it's part of their monetization strategy, but hey.

OTIX

I'm actually thinking I've been overestimating the value of pengdras. If you add up the stuff needed to make evolved pengdras then the average feeding xp per stamina is actually not much better than what you get in high level normal dungeons. It obviously requires lots of coins to feed trash but those normal dungeons gives quite a lot of coins anyway and you can make up the rest from tricolour on the weekend. I'm gonna try to use only trash for levelling until a monster is around level 50 at least.

The normal dungeons give so many other benefits as well, tons of +1 eggs, mystic masks, divine masks and so on. But the main benefit is that you will rank up several times per day which means you actually get way way more feeding xp per day than farming pengdras. Ranking up is of course super important in itself, I now have enough team cost to use two mechdragons on my ADK team and I'd really like to reach about 95 stamina so I can do two descended dungeons on each stamina refill.

TLDR: The dark side tries to seduce you with a quicker, easier path to power but if you put in the effort then the light side is just as strong.

ccbfan

I'm actually thinking I've been overestimating the value of pengdras. If you add up the stuff needed to make evolved pengdras then the average feeding xp per stamina is actually not much better than what you get in high level normal dungeons. It obviously requires lots of coins to feed trash but those normal dungeons gives quite a lot of coins anyway and you can make up the rest from tricolour on the weekend. I'm gonna try to use only trash for levelling until a monster is around level 50 at least.

The normal dungeons give so many other benefits as well, tons of +1 eggs, mystic masks, divine masks and so on. But the main benefit is that you will rank up several times per day which means you actually get way way more feeding xp per day than farming pengdras. Ranking up is of course super important in itself, I now have enough team cost to use two mechdragons on my ADK team and I'd really like to reach about 95 stamina so I can do two descended dungeons on each stamina refill.

TLDR: The dark side tries to seduce you with a quicker, easier path to power but if you put in the effort then the light side is just as strong.

Higher level tech dungeons allow you to do both.

The later tech dungeons have some pretty amazing stuff and for some reason pengdras drop like crazy in them.

I just finished up the blue monster only no blue drop tech dungeon. I got 12 pengdras, 2 evolved pengdras, a ton of siren food goblins from it and a couple green divine mask from playing each stage once. I didn't even complete any on the 1.5 day drop either.

First stage is really easy too. Only thing you need to watch out for is a green divine mask appearing in the first stage and you have under 10K health (which can easily be remedied with a lashkmi or mercury)

OTIX

Higher level tech dungeons allow you to do both.

The later tech dungeons have some pretty amazing stuff and for some reason pengdras drop like crazy in them.

I just finished up the blue monster only no blue drop tech dungeon. I got 12 pengdras, 2 evolved pengdras, a ton of siren food goblins from it and a couple green divine mask from playing each stage once. I didn't even complete any on the 1.5 day drop either.

First stage is really easy too. Only thing you need to watch out for is a green divine mask appearing in the first stage and you have under 10K health (which can easily be remedied with a lashkmi or mercury)
Those are definitely interesting and I'm almost there. However I'm not sure if they are actually competitive with the normal dungeons overall. A small difference in xp/stam makes a big difference in how fast you rank up, also there are always normal dungeons with 1.5x drop. Mondays being technical day sounds good though.

ParityBit

Ouch. I've been 0 for at least 10 on the angel runs in white expert. Going to do master now in hopes of a drop. Would like her for a Valk team.

I wouldn't mind so much if it were not 50 stamina to run. That leaves me 20, so I have to regen a long time to run it again.

oof that dark sky dragon hits for way more xp than i could heal for each round. I will just need different monsters to run this.
I just ran it with a
Horus, Crystal Aurora Dragon, ADK, Verche, Lilth, Archangle Helper.
Another less good attempt was
ADK, Crystal Aurora, Earth Dragon, Holy Dragon, Dryad, Adk

ParityBit

oof that dark sky dragon hits for way more xp than i could heal for each round. I will just need different monsters to run this.
I just ran it with a
Horus, Crystal Aurora Dragon, ADK, Verche, Lilth, Archangle Helper.
Another less good attempt was
ADK, Crystal Aurora, Earth Dragon, Holy Dragon, Dryad, Adk

I run with dark 50% resist/4 rippers/Ammy healer (needs to be a high level!)

Colby

You definitely need a 50% resist and at least three rippers for rounds 2-4 and 6-8. You'll most likely need a Siren for the heal orbs or an Echidna for the stall. You can't really use any healers except a high level Ammy. I'm working on my Ammy still, but it can heal 2600 every turn, so if you need that, you can add me. I've got about 5 slots available. If Ammy isn't up, just message me in-game and I'll put it up. ID is: 384 134 290

I need 50 plants tomorrow...I know you guys probably need more, but this is way more than I normally need. And I never replenish stamina with stones, so that sucks.

StMeph

I was able to do it with a Max-skill mid-level Siren (48) and Abyss Neptune (60% dark reduction) Leaders, with an Echidna and Rainbow Keeper to stall.

Each attack from the boss was a net minus 800 HP, but between Siren, Echidna, and Keeper, it was a non-issue. The only time I was threatened was a floor with 5x devils.

J0dy77

I don't see Horus as an everyday team, there's no need for it when an ADK team can blow through most dungeons with total consistency. However, Horus multiplier can allow you to beat bosses that you otherwise would not be able to. Anubis is the extreme version of that, he can oneshot anything as long as you're willing to gamble your stamina (and probably lose). :p

I can attest to this. Horus is just too unpredictable and the HP of the team is difficult to keep high. I'm thinking a Red Giant Gigas might be best for this team. You're going to be using orb changers to clear hearts from the board whenever possible and if you have a lot of hearts on the board you're going to have a hard time matching 3 or 4 colors.

Pulled twice today, it's my birthday so I thought I would indulge.

Happy Birthday

I really need to get my Ammy leveled higher!

Yaari, can I get your Ammy logged in for a second? Is there another high level Ammy out there so I can stop bugging poor Yaari?

Get on this Parity!!! I need more high level Ammy friends. lol

I wouldn't mind so much if it were not 50 stamina to run. That leaves me 20, so I have to regen a long time to run it again.

I just ran it because i was capped high on stamina and at the end of the level. I didn't get the angel to drop. I might wait for a 2x event and run master. The dragon dropped but didn't skill up. :(

massoluk

Banned
I think the first post should be corrected. Do invest in the boxes. The dude on the last page makes the same mistake I did with less than 50 boxes at level 85+. It severely handicap the growth of the team. Once I bumped my box up to 80-100 boxes, everything just grew exponentially faster.

I think the first post should be corrected. Do invest in the boxes. The dude on the last page makes the same mistake I did with less than 50 boxes at level 85+. It severely handicap the growth of the team. Once I bumped my box up to 80-100 boxes, everything just grew exponentially faster.
I thought I corrected it to say to invest in boxes as needed but I guess not???

I was able to do it with a Max-skill mid-level Siren (48) and Abyss Neptune (60% dark reduction) Leaders, with an Echidna and Rainbow Keeper to stall.

Each attack from the boss was a net minus 800 HP, but between Siren, Echidna, and Keeper, it was a non-issue. The only time I was threatened was a floor with 5x devils.
Neptune isn't 60% reduction the only two monsters with above 50 are x2 Dark Hades and 2x light Venus.

Caerith

Nope

I think the better advice would be "God please, just dump it all into box when for a while." Better investment for starter than gacha machine in the beginning imo.
It's a balance. I've seen advice on the FB group saying "before you do anything, dump all your stones into boxes until you have 90 boxes" which is ridiculous. When starting out, you should pull from the rare gacha until you have something you can build a team around, and then add boxes as you need them and save the rest of your stones for a godfest.

It's a balance. I've seen advice on the FB group saying "before you do anything, dump all your stones into boxes until you have 90 boxes" which is ridiculous. When starting out, you should pull from the rare gacha until you have something you can build a team around, and then add boxes as you need them and save the rest of your stones for a godfest.

I agree with this. If you dont have anything worth building a team by level 20, you should probably reroll and at least you might be able to gift someone a D,spina

Caerith

I think you might have a point-- I know I've been feeding trash mobs from higher dungeons when the recipient is under 30 at least, but maybe you've got a point in the long run.

Let's assume you run Emerald Dragons and get 5 baby dragons for 20 stamina. Since that's an odd number, let's say you do it four times. 80 stamina, 20 baby emeralds.

To use those 20 emeralds, you'd need 10 maxed baby pengdras. Running any level of Fertile Land costs 10 stamina and gets you 7 battles, 6 of which have a chance of dropping something. Ideally, your run of New Journey would net you 2 pengdras, 2 chimeras, and 2 carbuncles; feed 1 chimera + 1 carbuncle to a pengdra to max it, so 2 maxed pengdras per 10 stamina. You have 20 emeralds, so you need to run 5 dungeons. 50 stamina, 10 pengdras.

Now you need plants. Since you have 10 pengdras and 20 emeralds, you need 10 dragon plants. Thursday Dungeon is 10 stamina for 5 battles, and let's say you only get an average of 2 plants per run. It's usually higher, but the RNG is a jerk so we'll say you need to run the Thursday Dungeon 5 times to get 10 plants. 50 stamina, 10 plants.

Add all this up and you have spent 180 stamina to get 10 evolved pengdras, 450k of experience to same color. 450k / 180 = 2500 exp/stamina. Maybe as high as 3000 exp/stamina if your plant runs were 5/5.

TL;DR version: jewel/pengdra/plant farming is 2500-3000 exp/stamina.

I know farming late-game dungeons has other advantages, like better exp for ranking up, chance of evo mats, better chance of +1 eggs (I've only ever seen one from a tech dungeon), skill-ups for Siren, and gold. But, aside from that, how is the exp? People farm Neptune a lot, right? The last level of Ocean of Heaven is 15 stamina for 10 battles (9 with drops); to beat pengdras, you only need 37.5k exp per run, or about 4.2k exp/mob if you got 9/9 drops. To me, it looks more like you get maybe 2.5k exp/mob, or 1500 exp/stamina. Does that sound about right?

I know you can get mystic masks and kings from Ocean of Heaven, and they give pretty decent experience as feeders, but you can get highs and kings from jewel dungeons so that's a moot point.

So I finally got a green demon mask and now have a dragon knight. Should I level him up to evolve into a ADK or try and evolve my holy dragon and devil dragon first? My blue, green and red dragons are already evolved.

I can attest to the power of some of these green teams. I am loving the potency of Norse / Greek so far. I'm shying away from Shiva x Shiva. So much more power running Shiva x Freyr. Can't wait to Evo my Freyja and I&I.

I can attest to the power of some of these green teams. I am loving the potency of Norse / Greek so far. I'm shying away from Shiva x Shiva. So much more power running Shiva x Freyr. Can't wait to Evo my Freyja and I&I.
I'm hoping GH does a Greek Godfest soon because I have not seen a single Hermes player since 5.0. I&I so lonely...

So I finally got a green demon mask and now have a dragon knight. Should I level him up to evolve into a ADK or try and evolve my holy dragon and devil dragon first? My blue, green and red dragons are already evolved.

I suggest doing the ADK first. He will boost all of the dragons and you already have three ready to rip.

EDIT:
Good lord Parvati/Woody's Artemis completely shredded Oceanus Falls 1. Just need more Artemises or Parvatis on my list...

I should have my Freyja up right now. When I log off I try to remember to switch back to her instead of leaving it on ADK :). Helps that I have been able to use her a fair amount lately. It seems Freyja/Artemis is the preferred combo and I have more Artemis friends than I do Parvs. I was hoping to get an Artemis of my own last week but had no luck.

Slottm

Neo Member
I think you might have a point-- I know I've been feeding trash mobs from higher dungeons when the recipient is under 30 at least, but maybe you've got a point in the long run.

Let's assume you run Emerald Dragons and get 5 baby dragons for 20 stamina. Since that's an odd number, let's say you do it four times. 80 stamina, 20 baby emeralds.

To use those 20 emeralds, you'd need 10 maxed baby pengdras. Running any level of Fertile Land costs 10 stamina and gets you 7 battles, 6 of which have a chance of dropping something. Ideally, your run of New Journey would net you 2 pengdras, 2 chimeras, and 2 carbuncles; feed 1 chimera + 1 carbuncle to a pengdra to max it, so 2 maxed pengdras per 10 stamina. You have 20 emeralds, so you need to run 5 dungeons. 50 stamina, 10 pengdras.

Now you need plants. Since you have 10 pengdras and 20 emeralds, you need 10 dragon plants. Thursday Dungeon is 10 stamina for 5 battles, and let's say you only get an average of 2 plants per run. It's usually higher, but the RNG is a jerk so we'll say you need to run the Thursday Dungeon 5 times to get 10 plants. 50 stamina, 10 plants.

Add all this up and you have spent 180 stamina to get 10 evolved pengdras, 450k of experience to same color. 450k / 180 = 2500 exp/stamina. Maybe as high as 3000 exp/stamina if your plant runs were 5/5.

I know farming late-game dungeons has other advantages, like better exp for ranking up, chance of evo mats, better chance of +1 eggs (I've only ever seen one from a tech dungeon), skill-ups for Siren, and gold. But, aside from that, how is the exp? People farm Neptune a lot, right? The last level of Ocean of Heaven is 15 stamina for 10 battles (9 with drops); to beat pengdras, you only need 37.5k exp per run, or about 4.2k exp/mob if you got 9/9 drops. To me, it looks more like you get maybe 2.5k exp/mob, or 1500 exp/stamina. Does that sound about right?

I know you can get mystic masks and kings from Ocean of Heaven, and they give pretty decent experience as feeders, but you can get highs and kings from jewel dungeons so that's a moot point.

Your guesstimate leaves out kings and high dragons. They boost this method significantly.

OTIX

The dungeons I'm talking about is everything from Hyperion lava flow to Ocean of Heaven, whichever ones happen to be 1.5x, always last stage for max waves. OoH actually gives the least feeding xp and normal xp per stamina but there you get more coins and mystic masks so it's still good for the weekends when it's 1.5x. If we look at the last stage of Hyperion then you get about 7 drops, worth a bit over 3k xp each on average, let's say 22k xp per run. If we assume you get a King metal every 5 runs then we end up at just over 3000 xp per stam. For pengdra farming with kings and highs included I calculated a bit over 3500 xp per stam. However you only get 144 stamina each day naturally so if you're ranking up 3 times per day then that means a crapton of extra stam and thus more feeding xp and more of everything else. In contrast, if you farm only jewel dragons, first stage technicals and Thursday dungeon then you'll rank up once every 3-4 days. The difference becomes pretty huge when you take this into account. Of course it's a bit of work to run over 20 high level normal dungeons every day, some kind of balance might be needed.

In any case, the bottom line is that farming normal dungeons is just really really good in a lot of different ways, +1 eggs and rank ups in particular but even the feeding xp is actually very competitive.

Caerith

Your guesstimate leaves out kings and high dragons. They boost this method significantly.
True, but it could be argued that king metals and mystic masks boost the other method so I left them out on both sides. Even though jewel dragon dungeons do tend to grant kings and highs rather generously (albeit not reliably).

The dungeons I'm talking about is everything from Hyperion lava flow to Ocean of Heaven, whichever ones happen to be 1.5x, always last stage for max waves. OoH actually gives the least feeding xp and normal xp per stamina but there you get more coins and mystic masks so it's still good for the weekends when it's 1.5x. If we look at the last stage of Hyperion then you get about 7 drops, worth a bit over 3k xp each on average, let's say 22k xp per run. If we assume you get a King metal every 5 runs then we end up at just over 3000 xp per stam. For pengdra farming with kings and highs included I calculated a bit over 3500 xp per stam. However you only get 144 stamina each day naturally so if you're ranking up 3 times per day then that means a crapton of extra stam and thus more feeding xp and more of everything else. In contrast, if you farm only jewel dragons, first stage technicals and Thursday dungeon then you'll rank up once every 3-4 days. The difference becomes pretty huge when you take this into account. Of course it's a bit of work to run over 20 high level normal dungeons every day, some kind of balance might be needed.

In any case, the bottom line is that farming normal dungeons is just really really good in a lot of different ways, +1 eggs and rank ups in particular but even the feeding xp is actually very competitive.
I haven't seen an experience table showing how much exp you need per rank, but I've got to assume that, at some point, you're no longer able to rank up at that rate.

But you're right about normal farming. While nothing beats jewels/pengdras for pure exp/stam, normal farming can still provide respectable exp/stam if you're willing to sacrifice your gold (and, really, isn't that the entire point of gold?).

OTIX

I haven't seen an experience table showing how much exp you need per rank, but I've got to assume that, at some point, you're no longer able to rank up at that rate.

But you're right about normal farming. While nothing beats jewels/pengdras for pure exp/stam, normal farming can still provide respectable exp/stam if you're willing to sacrifice your gold (and, really, isn't that the entire point of gold?).
Well, I'm currently rank 130 which means about 55k xp per level. That's 9 times through Hyperion last stage, 108 stamina required. I have 81 stam max which means I'd need to regen 27 stam, or 4.5 hours between each rank up. In theory that's 5 ranks in one day, 45(!) runs through Hyperion totalling about 1.5 million feeding xp. As your rank gets crazy high things will obviously slow down but the real limiter here is human endurance, and your friends list. :p

As your rank gets very high and your monsters also get very high, pengdras become more of a necessity. But until then normal dungeons are really unbeatable.

Caerith

Well, I'm currently rank 130 which means about 55k xp per level. That's 9 times through Hyperion last stage, 108 stamina required. I have 81 stam max which means I'd need to regen 27 stam, or 4.5 hours between each rank up. In theory that's 5 ranks in one day, 45(!) runs through Hyperion totalling about 1.5 million feeding xp. As your rank gets crazy high things will obviously slow down but the real limiter here is human endurance, and your friends list. :p

As your rank gets very high and your monsters also get very high, pengdras become more of a necessity. But until then normal dungeons are really unbeatable.
I don't know about "unbeatable," since you'd run out of gold pretty quickly if you didn't use pengdras to save money. And the later normal dungeons are pretty hard without a strong team. I'd say it's best to switch back and forth between normal and pengdras. Normal to get plus eggs and gain ranks (because more stamina is always better), pengdras for a quick boost to your pets and to build your bank buffer for normal.

OTIX

I don't know about "unbeatable," since you'd run out of gold pretty quickly if you didn't use pengdras to save money. And the later normal dungeons are pretty hard without a strong team. I'd say it's best to switch back and forth between normal and pengdras. Normal to get plus eggs and gain ranks (because more stamina is always better), pengdras for a quick boost to your pets and to build your bank buffer for normal.
Well you'd only need one master tricolour run for every ten or so normal dungeons (if feeding a lvl 40 monster), and that gives decent xp as well. I'm not saying it's feasible to do that many normal dungeons, just that the gains are really quite amazing. And all these dungeons can be farmed with a green/dark ADK team, especially Hyperion since the boss dies instantly from poison. The hardest are Kronos and Clayus since the bosses aren't weak to green/dark but their health is pretty low and an Echidna can be brought for safety. Tower to the Sky is a little dicey but it's better to do OoH on the weekend anyway.

razterik

I had a running tab on the 3rd stage of Kronos Forest vs. pengdra farming a while back when I was ~70 stamina. I was ranking up about 2-3 times a day. I don't have my numbers on me, but my fuzzy math suggested exclusive pengdra farming was still ahead by roughly 600k feed experience per week. The best option really seems to be to split between the two. Farm pengdras/plants/dragons when they are available, and spend the other days pounding away at normal dungeons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom