• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParityBit

So when you start developing your team, I have my main and a bunch of dragons, to you like to power them all up evenly, or evolve one up? I have a couple options, and I have not gotten much from the pulls, so I was debating going that root for now.

This game has a lot more under the covers then you would have thought!

Ferrio

Banned
So I got a Chaos Dragon Knight in the tutorial, then my first real rare egg was a Vampire Lord. Awesome! Yet they can't be on the same team ???

Jinko

Yeah I'm glad GungHo is able to make money with PAD but I can't stomach the idea of a consumable IAP that you use on a randomized result that factors in luck. It's disheartening enough getting lacking monsters with the in-game acquired stones, can't even imagine with ones you spent real money on.

Yup, I bought 12 stones got two shit pulls and that was that, won't be doing it again.

If I do buy them in future it will be to expand inventory space.

Victrix

*beard*
The game does a terrible job of explaining this, but you have a max team cost that goes up as you rank up. Check his point cost, its probably really high.

This is also one reason you shouldn't rush to evolve everything - you may not be able to use it all together!

Ferrio

Banned
The game does a terrible job of explaining this, but you have a max team cost that goes up as you rank up. Check his point cost, its probably really high.

This is also one reason you shouldn't rush to evolve everything - you may not be able to use it all together!

Ya I realized that. So now I have a team of just a vampire lord/chaos dragon... I'm rank 9 and doing 4k damage with a 2 combo.

edit: Oh god my chaos dragon knight did 10k damage...

J0dy77

I'm in a tough spot right now. I've been breezing through dungeons but suddenly may have hit a wall. How does everyone earn enough coins? It seems like I am always fighting for spots in my monster box and not enough coin to level monsters up. I really should have spent all weekend doing the double coin dungeon.

The real tough part is that I don't have many options for another lineup. I'm running a red titan and ogre with a purple basilisk, white knight and green healer. It's been great up until I've hit a heavy red dungeon. I have a viper orochi sitting on my bench since his cost is way too high for me to be efficient with him right now. Any suggestions for a place to farm some decent lvl 20 mobs? I'm currently on Fire Forest Nerva.

Jinko

Man took me 15 mins to kill that carbuncle boss in the first technical dungeon, took all my skill to bring her down lol

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ugh, that damn Fire Forest Nerva is the wall of walls for me right now. I don't have a solid enough team to take the boss down quick enough to avoid a shitty heal turn.

Radav

This will probably sound like a silly question but has anyone gotten this setup so they can run it on their pc? I tried bluestacks but I had no luck.

This game is extremely fun, too bad it's locked behind a crazy pay-wall. I like the GW2 method of IAP rather than this "wait until you can play again or pay".

Especially since the drops have been really shitty for me. I cannot, for the life of me, find a decent healer. Every now and then I'll be able to add one as a helper but I still have a lot of problems doing any special dungeons.

Ah well, probably play it for a few more days and then find another puzzle game that isn't so limiting. I understand this is the "model" but 2 attempts at a harder dungeon and I'm stuck waiting for an hour+.

Shiryu

Neo Member
Finally pal eggs have turned up worthwhile pulls, because on my secondary account I play from time to time I had a first pull lil' red dragon.

Now on my main account I got a lil' white dragon and a mermaid. Evolving the dragon first and then the mermaid, but both will be worthwhile additions to the team.

P.S.: People who have problems with forest of nerva: what does your team consist of? I threw away all small monsters and put Odin+Plesios+Friend (Yeah, three-man team) and just hoped for blues all the way to deal massive damage. Worked for me and am now on Sea Cave Mercury. :)

This game is extremely fun, too bad it's locked behind a crazy pay-wall. I like the GW2 method of IAP rather than this "wait until you can play again or pay".

Especially since the drops have been really shitty for me. I cannot, for the life of me, find a decent healer. Every now and then I'll be able to add one as a helper but I still have a lot of problems doing any special dungeons.

Ah well, probably play it for a few more days and then find another puzzle game that isn't so limiting. I understand this is the "model" but 2 attempts at a harder dungeon and I'm stuck waiting for an hour+.

level up the carbuncles for healing, been running with them for a while in a pinch. you can also use friend's sirens' and the like.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally pal eggs have turned up worthwhile pulls, because on my secondary account I play from time to time I had a first pull lil' red dragon.

Now on my main account I got a lil' white dragon and a mermaid. Evolving the dragon first and then the mermaid, but both will be worthwhile additions to the team.

P.S.: People who have problems with forest of nerva: what does your team consist of? I threw away all small monsters and put Odin+Plesios+Friend (Yeah, three-man team) and just hoped for blues all the way to deal massive damage. Worked for me and am now on Sea Cave Mercury. :)

When I've done a team that relied on this tactic, I've gotten the short of the stick. :(

Jinko

Yea I am finding the limitations very off putting also, especially now that things are becoming more difficult.

garath

So I'm sure this is common knowledge by now, but I just noticed something about egg drops today. If an egg is going to drop in a battle, it seems like the FIRST monster killed will be the one to drop an egg. After noticing it I tested a couple battles and lo and behold, it seemed to work out that way.

I only have a small sample of data to work with here so it could be wrong but if you see a monster you really want in a lineup, might as well take it down first. I just got myself another metal dragon that way.

Speaking of.... Metal dragons are just good level up material right? Should I power them up first before feeding them to my god/main dragon?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I'm sure this is common knowledge by now, but I just noticed something about egg drops today. If an egg is going to drop in a battle, it seems like the FIRST monster killed will be the one to drop an egg. After noticing it I tested a couple battles and lo and behold, it seemed to work out that way.

I only have a small sample of data to work with here so it could be wrong but if you see a monster you really want in a lineup, might as well take it down first. I just got myself another metal dragon that way.

Speaking of.... Metal dragons are just good level up material right? Should I power them up first before feeding them to my god/main dragon?

I think they all come at max level, so just feed them away!

Jinko

Sadly that's not the case, I did think this also to start with but have since proved myself otherwise.

Too bad you can't highlight the monster you want to try to catch, *pokeball throw*

So, what is the most optimal grinding way to grind high level creatures from lower level ones?

1.- Power up the high level, even if you need 10 low levels to grind a level?

2.- Or power up a low level with other low levels until you have a medium level one, and power up the high level one with the medium level?

Shiryu

Neo Member
So, what is the most optimal grinding way to grind high level creatures from lower level ones?

1.- Power up the high level, even if you need 10 low levels to grind a level?

2.- Or power up a low level with other low levels until you have a medium level one, and power up the high level one with the medium level?

When cost gets too high, I tend to rely on carbuncles to soak EXP. I think it's located somewhere in the OP that this is a good tactic once your creature hits lv10+ (1000gold/creature added).

Right now I get evolved Carbuncles. I dump same-colored creatures on them which gets them from lv3 to 15 for a measly 1500gold. Then feed a few leveled up carbuncles to whichever creature I want to level up. :]

@Nicoga3000: make sure to do combos of all the useless gems while trying to get blues. I had a blue odin + plesios (blue) + green odin. All together did quite nice damage but it relied on luck. Right now I switched back to my older team without Blue Odin to get through mermaid, but it isn't easy.

I hate to think how Castle of Satan will be (since that seems to be "the dungeon" according to most guides).

Owzers

Yeah I'm glad GungHo is able to make money with PAD but I can't stomach the idea of a consumable IAP that you use on a randomized result that factors in luck. It's disheartening enough getting lacking monsters with the in-game acquired stones, can't even imagine with ones you spent real money on.

their drop rates are horrible, it's RO all over again when you grinded on monsters with ridiculously low drop rates in order to get a worthwhile item, but in this case it's even worse because tehre is no market to sell what you don't need for something you do. Now GungHo went the route of just blatant IAP cash grabs, where you dont' even purchase what you need to get ahead, you purchase the chance to get something you need.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
their drop rates are horrible, it's RO all over again when you grinded on monsters with ridiculously low drop rates in order to get a worthwhile item, but in this case it's even worse because tehre is no market to sell what you don't need for something you do. Now GungHo went the route of just blatant IAP cash grabs, where you dont' even purchase what you need to get ahead, you purchase the chance to get something you need.

I'd have no problem throwing a few bucks at them if it weren't for the miserable rate of conversion. If it were something like $1 for 5 stones, I'd spend a few bucks. I've put more hours into this than I have nearly every other iOS game I own. But the 1:1 conversion is too much for me. It translates to $5 per pull. Nope.

Snagged a Light Dragon Starter and Dark Dragon Starter from Present swapping yesterday...

Now I have no idea what I am going to do with a team...

garath

Sadly that's not the case, I did think this also to start with but have since proved myself otherwise.

Too bad you can't highlight the monster you want to try to catch, *pokeball throw*

Aww. Well like I said, it was a small sample size of data. I'm still going to target the one I want first just in case! lol

I hate to think how Castle of Satan will be (since that seems to be "the dungeon" according to most guides).
Personally, aside from the "final boss" I actually found Castle of Stan easier than he preceding 3* dungeons. The main gimmick of those dungeons in my mind is that you fight a LOT of high defense monsters, which royally screws over people who raised monocolor teams. I ended up swapping out team members that were of the ineffective element against the dungeon and just kinda gritted my teeth with neutral damage the whole way through.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Had 3 PAL pulls this morning. Got a Lil' Green Dragon, a green slime with +1 RCU, and (another) Lil' White Dragon. Not bad. I needed the Green Dragon, and the White Dragon may be leveled up to have a second White Dragon for whatever purpose.

Owzers

Had 3 PAL pulls this morning. Got a Lil' Green Dragon, a green slime with +1 RCU, and (another) Lil' White Dragon. Not bad. I needed the Green Dragon, and the White Dragon may be leveled up to have a second White Dragon for whatever purpose.

i got a lil green dragon too.... do they evolve into the starter ones or are they their own monster?

garath

They are different. They're ultimate evolution is used in the 6.25x end game dragon team.

Oh wow. Glad I read that. I have one too. I haven't done anything with it yet but was debating just fusing it into something else. Guess I'll evolve it :)

edit: I also got a wood pendraga. It lists as enhance material but this one doesn't start max level. Seems strange to me. Is there something special I should do with him?

Jinko

Oh wow. Glad I read that. I have one too. I haven't done anything with it yet but was debating just fusing it into something else. Guess I'll evolve it :)

edit: I also got a wood pendraga. It lists as enhance material but this one doesn't start max level. Seems strange to me. Is there something special I should do with him?

Feed it up, evolve it, feed it some more then feed it to something ..

Pengdras max at LV10 (with exactly 2556 EXP) and require two metal dragons of their element to evolve along with whatever other evo material crap. Their evolved form cannot level up.

Also there are no light or dark Pengdras. Throws a wrench into planning for the Light and Dark technical dungeons.

Gaspode_T

I seem to be doing pretty well with a team of 4 blues, 1 yellow and 1 red...1 blue orb changer and the red is an orb changer with super high attack, the yellow was my rare gacha pull when I started playing (genie lady), in order of attack power team makeup is like 500/350/300/280/200 or something, then sometimes I get lucky and get to invite a friend with 3000 HP and 1200 attack :p Rank 21...probably spread myself out across monsters so much, I have not evolved even a single one but I am waltzing through dungeons

Owzers

I'd have no problem throwing a few bucks at them if it weren't for the miserable rate of conversion. If it were something like $1 for 5 stones, I'd spend a few bucks. I've put more hours into this than I have nearly every other iOS game I own. But the 1:1 conversion is too much for me. It translates to $5 per pull. Nope.

That, along with pal eggs not containing so much garbage would be the easy fixes.

IMO the one change they can make without significantly affecting their market strategy is to make the post-tutorial rare pull a guaranteed 5*. But you know my thoughts on that matter why.

garath

Feed it up, evolve it, feed it some more then feed it to something ..

Pengdras max at LV10 (with exactly 2556 EXP) and require two metal dragons of their element to evolve along with whatever other evo material crap. Their evolved form cannot level up.

Also there are no light or dark Pengdras. Throws a wrench into planning for the Light and Dark technical dungeons.

Wow. I guess they're just high xp fodder. I'll work on leveling mine up to feed my Thor :)

Jinko

Could give the option to save up 1000 pal points for one gacha. (or exchange the 1000 points for one magic stone)

It's not guna happen of course.

ParityBit

So is it better to have a lil red/black dragon, or a starter red/black dragon? I was under the assumption that the starters were better.

So is it better to have a lil red/black dragon, or a starter red/black dragon? I was under the assumption that the starters were better.
They're good for different reasons. The li'l dragons eventually gain a 50% element resist as their leader skill, which helps you survive certain enemies, and the starter dragons can be used in a 4x team.

Palabrah

I set up a primitive form and corresponding spreadsheet for entering in your GAF name, Friend ID, P&D Name, and Leaders that you use so we have a better database than posting all of our codes. If you want to use it in the OP, Cosmo, go for it.

Quote to see:

im on

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
After following the advice in the pre-edit OP and using my first 15 eggs on rare pulls, I'm super glad we've been getting those "12 days of Christmas/New Year's" bonus eggs. Been using them to upgrade my storage box, and I'm really glad I did. Constantly having to fuse monsters was keeping me low on coins, and selling them just felt like a waste. Of course, after the Weekend Dungeon, coins aren't a problem anymore. :lol

elty

So my team consist of the following:

Susano (Leader: -20% damage received, 5* lv 30 Wood)
Starter blue dragon, evolved twice
Starter light dragon, just for filler purpose as I don't have enough team cost
Little dark dragon, evolved once
Cupid (lv25 light healer)

So I went into the first stage of Fire Forest Nerva. Picked an Angel as helper (heals 800+HP every turn). I made it to the boss with some scary moments. Everyone except my blue dragon do ONE damage to the boss, despite being a 5 hit combo. Even my blue dragon is doing shitty damage (36 damage for a non combo, 5000ish for skill). It took me 20 minutes to take down this boss.

I think I am not going to bother if this tier of dungeon is all like this. I tried to use a non healer as helper and it is simply not survivable.

ccbfan

Man I got a 3 star mermaid and a 5 star hades and rerolled on both because the guide said both are no good for starters.

Kinda regretting on the mermaid since it seems everyone wants one.

Jinko

did we get at timetable for the metal dungeon?

[US] Metal Dragon Schedule (15 Stamina) 1/7/2013 PST

Check your 3rd digit on the left of your ID as it classifies which group you belong to
(A: 0,5) (B: 1,6) (C:2,7) (D:3,8) (E:4,9)
A: 12:00 17:00 22:00
B: 8:00 13:00 18:00
C: 9:00 14:00 19:00
D: 10:00 15:00 20:00
E: 11:00 16:00 21:00

How come JP get coloured dragon schedule :( ??

So my team consist of the following:

Susano (Leader: -20% damage received, 5* lv 30 Wood)
Starter blue dragon, evolved twice
Starter light dragon, just for filler purpose as I don't have enough team cost
Little dark dragon, evolved once
Cupid (lv25 light healer)

So I went into the first stage of Fire Forest Nerva. Picked an Angel as helper (heals 800+HP every turn). I made it to the boss with some scary moments. Everyone except my blue dragon do ONE damage to the boss, despite being a 5 hit combo. Even my blue dragon is doing shitty damage (36 damage for a non combo, 5000ish for skill). It took me 20 minutes to take down this boss.

I think I am not going to bother if this tier of dungeon is all like this. I tried to use a non healer as helper and it is simply not survivable.

If you are doing 1 damage like that chances are your ATK is on the low side and is being cancelled out due to high defence, might be worth getting an elemental fighter/knight for Guard break.

elty

If you are doing 1 damage like that chances are your ATK is on the low side and is being cancelled out due to high defence, might be worth getting an elemental fighter/knight for Guard break.

I guess my only option is to do those sky dragon dungeon thing (they are kind of doable with a 5* healer that heals 1300 hp per turn) and hopefully catch as many stuff as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom