• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victrix

*beard*
What are Mystic Masks used for?

Generally higher level evolves - you don't need to do the Expert version of the dungeon at all if you're still evolving lower level stuff. Do the basic version and stock up on regular masks for the week (I still need a ton myself).

Tarps

Anyone looking to swap presents? I've just hit level 21, and I've added myself to the spreadsheet. I don't have a great healer, but my main leader is a Dark Golem MkIII which is pretty beastly tank which randomly counters for 5,000 dark damage.

Anyway let me know if you want to swap presents! 303,249,201

ParityBit

So where would I find myself an Alarune? I think I need one of my own so I can do some dungeons.

Or something similar. I have a mermaid (no idea where I got her) But A healer I think is a must staple in my team.

Victrix

*beard*
So where would I find myself an Alarune? I think I need one of my own so I can do some dungeons.

Or something similar. I have a mermaid (no idea where I got her) But A healer I think is a must staple in my team.

The Earth tiered basic dungeons, specifically the one that has Dryad or her evolutions as bosses. I think they start showing up at the second tier of dungeons - I would assume the higher tiers have a higher drop rate, but that may or may not be true.

The other place is the Sky Dragon dungeons - each has the respective healer girl as a sub boss before the last fight, with two assistants. That's where I got my Dryad and Cupid. Wood Sky Dragon dungeon is gone for now though, sadly.

Remember you can just bring a friend with a healer leader, because Alarune/Archangel/Siren's healing only triggers as a leader ability, so unless you want one of your own to lead your party and use a different friend, you're looking at good bit of farming and leveling to get one ready.

Mermaid becomes Siren the Enchanter, arguably the best of the three match on heal girls, so you might just want to level her, unless you have some specific reason for needing Dryad.

ParityBit

Mermaid becomes Siren the Enchanter, arguably the best of the three match on heal girls, so you might just want to level her, unless you have some specific reason for needing Dryad.

Oh, well since I have her I guess I will level her up. Although I really like having my ADK as my leader.

One thing I have to work on is my team management. I generally go into battle with the same team every time, and just select a gaffer to help me along ...

Kosh

Decided to give these crack dealers $10, used most of them for boxes, so I've got 75 boxes now. Pulled twice on the rare machine with 10 stones I had saved up, got a Naga and a Mystic Stone Knight. Feeling pretty good and lucky!

Kosh

From the FB group.

‎[US] Metal Dragon Schedule (15 Stamina) 1/9/2013 PST

Check your 3rd digit on the left of your ID as it classifies which group you belong to (A: 0,5) (B: 1,6) (C:2,7) (D:3,8) (E:4,9) as of 1/9/2013 PST

A: 9:00 14:00 19:00
B: 10:00 15:00 20:00
C: 11:00 16:00 21:00
D: 12:00 17:00 22:00
E: 8:00 13:00 18:00

Jinko

Reading earlier posts, I think you guys who want to buy the game at a flat fee and do away without the IAP are missing part of what makes PaD such a good game. You're forced to make due with what you have and then work at raising them. If you could pay to have everything accessible from the beginning - the game would be too easy and I think it would lose a lot of its appeal. I think the game in its current form is amazing. The option is there for people who want to spend cash for rare drops / box space, but you can complete everything the game has to offer without spending a single cent! That's amazing! Would I like to see a Pokemon-like spin-off in the future - sure! Still, this is one of, if not THE, gamer-friendliest "social" game I've ever seen.

Don't think anyone is asking to pay for everything at the beginning.

I think a lot of people would prefer to do away with stamina and play this like an actual dungeon crawler/retail game without the need to pay extra for a "lucky chance" at a very rare egg.

Also you can't complete everything without spending a single cent, some monsters, gods etc only come from gacha.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Need more dragon evo stuff! And Dark Demon Masks (best place to get these early on?). Tomorrows should net me all the dragon evo mats I need. Metal Dragon dungeon should give me enough metals to get my team high enough to finally stand a fighting chance in Sacred Mt. Bakkes. Oh Thursday...Come sooner please.

I'm kind of hooked on this game. Sent out a couple of invites to gaffers with Alraune, seems like its one of the best ways to get progression untill I have one of my own.

ParityBit

I'm kind of hooked on this game. Sent out a couple of invites to gaffers with Alraune, seems like its one of the best ways to get progression untill I have one of my own.

Yeah I am going to feed my mermaid I think. This way I can have a healer, and if she is considered one of the best, then that's good! I got wiped so hard last night, I decided I need to wholesale change my strategy.

Need more dragon evo stuff! And Dark Demon Masks (best place to get these early on?). Tomorrows should net me all the dragon evo mats I need. Metal Dragon dungeon should give me enough metals to get my team high enough to finally stand a fighting chance in Sacred Mt. Bakkes. Oh Thursday...Come sooner please.
I spent three days farming for goddamn dark demon masks... Wouldn't want to wish that on anybody. Today's mask dungeon is probably your best bet.

Jinko

i'm assuming they don't drop in any of the dungeons i visit....thats a shame :(

They drop in special dungeons, sky dragons of "whatever" only on expert and master though.

Ugh, I was afraid of that.

How hard is the Expert version?

Stupid hard those tier 3 masks will one shot you easy, you can get the tier 2 ones towards the end of the normal one though. (plus you can get almost 3 times as many runs compared to the expert version)

Why is this not out in the UK?

There are ways around that in the OP.

Victrix

*beard*
Ugh, I was afraid of that.

How hard is the Expert version?

Hilariously easy:

For today's mask dungeon, if you're trying to do the expert dungeon:

Bring a mono color team, with a few orb changers if you have them.

Bring a friend Shiva.

Round one, either kill one mask or leave them be if you can take the hits and heal up (depending on your leader/total hp).

Make small matches near the top of the screen to charge your skills, while stowing same colored orbs safely at the bottom. Kill the last mask in round one.

Fire Shiva's ability - it drops their defense to zero for one round, but, like the little Knights armor break ability, it stays active if you sweep the round.

Trigger single matches or aoe nukes - your single color attack or aoe will kill every mask. Repeat x4. Hopefully loot Mystic Mask. Profit!

edit: I should add that you should probably run an Ogre/Green Odin/Orochi leader unless you have the HP to take a hit. You need to be able to sponge at least one smack in the first round to get Shiva charged.

Yeah I am going to feed my mermaid I think. This way I can have a healer, and if she is considered one of the best, then that's good! I got wiped so hard last night, I decided I need to wholesale change my strategy.

I feel you. I rerolled quite a lot in hopes of getting either a mermaid or a dryad as starters. No such luck, so when a Hades came along I just took the chance. Now I0m farming Neptune Glacier for a mermaid, since everyone considers her evolution to be the best.

Generally higher level evolves - you don't need to do the Expert version of the dungeon at all if you're still evolving lower level stuff. Do the basic version and stock up on regular masks for the week (I still need a ton myself).

Thanks, I did the expert version once just to try it out but I've ben loading up on the basic version.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Stupid hard those tier 3 masks will one shot you easy, you can get the tier 2 ones towards the end of the normal one though. (plus you can get almost 3 times as many runs compared to the expert version)

Hmm...True. If I can get a for sure Dark Demon drop...

Jinko

I feel you. I rerolled quite a lot in hopes of getting either a mermaid or a dryad as starters. No such luck, so when a Hades came along I just took the chance. Now I0m farming Neptune Glacier for a mermaid, since everyone considers her evolution to be the best.

I'd say Alraunes ability is better.

Victrix

*beard*

Hades is awesome and has a great unique power, healers are a dime a dozen on friends lists, and all three healer girls can be farmed in a ton of dungeons.

Starting with a fully evolved healer gets you a lot of friends and pal points, but you're losing what could be a unique creature that you cannot get anywhere but the rare egg machine.

Hunkering down and saving Stamina for some Metal Dragon hunting in a few hours. My team is still so lame, I get wiped out in the final fight with the Masks. -_- I gotta stall to charge up my attacks first, I think.

Victrix

*beard*
What is the difference? And you can't get her as a drop can you?

All of the healer girls are drops

Alarune and Archangel have a straight heal ability - Siren has an orb changer and her ability can be leveled by feeding her marine goblins, which are a pretty common drop, reducing the cooldown to a mere five turns. That's why she tends to be preferred.

Alarune has a stronger, longer cooldown skill, Archangel a weaker, faster one.

Otherwise, any of the three are equivalent in terms of being a heal-on-match party leader - only Amaterasu Okami, a rare machine only god has a better heal ability (they heal 3x recovery per match, Amaterasu heals 5x)

ParityBit

All of the healer girls are drops

Alarune and Archangel have a straight heal ability - Siren has an orb changer and her ability can be leveled by feeding her marine goblins, which are a pretty common drop, reducing the cooldown to a mere five turns. That's why she tends to be preferred.

Alarune has a stronger, longer cooldown skill, Archangel a weaker, faster one.

Otherwise, any of the three are equivalent in terms of being a heal-on-match party leader - only Amaterasu Okami, a rare machine only god has a better heal ability (they heal 3x recovery per match, Amaterasu heals 5x)

Damn, so much to know! So getting her marine goblins. Should you feed her those BEFORE evolving? Or does it not matter? And any sorta marine goblins? Or only ones with +'s

J0dy77

Each creature (fodder) you fuse to another (target creature) incurs a cost that must be paid in coins. This cost increases as the target creature's level gets higher. So you want to make sure that fusing as many creatures as possible (max. 5) during each fuse session to take advantage of the low cost. e.g. Fusing 5 creatures at once costs less than fusing 1 creature 5 times (assuming that the target creature's level increases during the process.)

So let's say you have 5 carbuncles and 25 fodder cards. You could do 30 different fusions, but you'd need to pay the cost (based on your target creature's level) 30 times. Or you can give each carbuncle 5 fodder (paying the relatively low cost based on the carbuncle's low level) and then give all 5 carbuncles to your target card. You probably lose out on some experience, but you're saving a LOT of money.

As for switching to PengDra / Metal Dragons, I can't see that being a viable strategy. Seems like they're too hard to get a hold of on a consistent basis. There was an excellent leveling post in the thread somewhere that talked about farming tier 2 carbuncles and feeding them for efficient leveling. I can't seem to find it now.

Does the level of the monster that you use to power fuse have any direct impact on the amount of EXP gained? Meaning, if I use a lvl 1 blob or phase 2 carbuncle does either provide more EXP?

Victrix

*beard*
Skill ups come from feeding a creature another with the exact same ability

You'll lose any skill progress if the skill changes when the creature evolves (eg, a lot of the dragons go through progressively stronger nukes, so if you fed a lil' dragon another one and ranked up its baby nuke, it'd lose that progress when it evolved)

In Siren's case, you can start stuffing her full of blue goblins right away, she keeps her same orb change ability from Mermaid-> Siren -> StE (Siren the Enchanter)

For completions sake, there are two other healer girls, for red/black, though they're not 'healers' in the same sense as the others. They're classified as Healer, and have healer style stats (high recovery), but their abilities aren't the same.

Naga->Echidna has a turn delaying ability that's really useful (her leader passive is a nuke every time you match, the inverse of heal on match :V)

Succubus -> Lilith has a poison ability, vital for tackling certain high defense enemies (her leader passive lets you drag orbs around a bit longer)

Jinko

Damn, so much to know! So getting her marine goblins. Should you feed her those BEFORE evolving? Or does it not matter? And any sorta marine goblins? Or only ones with +'s

Feed her anytime, good thing with siren is if you pair her up with another orb changer like Vampire Lord you can get crazy dark orbs etc.

Victrix

*beard*
Does the level of the monster that you use to power fuse have any direct impact on the amount of EXP gained? Meaning, if I use a lvl 1 blob or phase 2 carbuncle does either provide more EXP?

This is a surprisingly complicated topic, but the gist of it is yes, it does

Each monster has a base xp value it gives when fed, and a base XP curve (from 1mil to 4mil to max level) that it follows. Basically you want to feed creatures with a good base xp and a gentle xp curve to level them up, then feed those to your other creatures.

Being super fussy about it would require wayyyyyyyy more words than I'm willing to spend, but thats the basics.

If you want to read far too much more about it, go here:

http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=1098

http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=1009

http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=47

finally beat the first round of the fire nerva using a mostly fire team with some blue help. found i survived longer by trying to combo any attack w/ a recovery chain. was able to heal most of my health that way.

Of course...bringing along a siren didn't hurt

garath

I have terrible luck this game. Rare pulls yield crap, ran a few of the healer dungeons to get a healer drop, nothing. On the bright side my light team is coming together pretty well. I just keep feeding all of them. Made a mistake evolving my white knight though. I'm now one cost over my max. Oops. Didnt' even get tangible benefits evolving him. Still fumbling around with that stuff.

I have terrible luck this game. Rare pulls yield crap, ran a few of the healer dungeons to get a healer drop, nothing. On the bright side my light team is coming together pretty well. I just keep feeding all of them. Made a mistake evolving my white knight though. I'm now one cost over my max. Oops. Didnt' even get tangible benefits evolving him. Still fumbling around with that stuff.

the gacha's have a very low rate, i havn't relied on them as much as i did in the beginning. Drop rates in dungeons are crazy low as well. don't be to disappointed when the healers don't drop after 20+ times. try and wait for a '1.5xdrop' event on them or something.

evolving raises the base stats a bit and the lvl ceiling. so initially, the stats will be lower until you lvl up the new monster

MajorPain

Really enjoying this game but found one big flaw. I tried to play at work yesterday during my lunch and it keeps trying to get a connection. Does this game require an internet connection? If so this is a huge game breaker for me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thinking of spending a few bucks to get my boxes up to 100 so I can just stop worrying about it. So tempted...Given how much time I've spent with this game, I feel like I can find merit in the IAP. :|

ParityBit

Thinking of spending a few bucks to get my boxes up to 100 so I can just stop worrying about it. So tempted...Given how much time I've spent with this game, I feel like I can find merit in the IAP. :|

I have bypassed rare pulls just for this reason. *shrugs* I have no plans on spending money though. If I do not get enough free gems to get pulls, I just wont do it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have bypassed rare pulls just for this reason. *shrugs* I have no plans on spending money though. If I do not get enough free gems to get pulls, I just wont do it.

I still have something like $6 in my account from Thanksgiving iTunes card sales. I haven't bought any other game in a while, ha. This game is stupidly addicting. DAMN YOU.

E: I've only done one rare pull...Got my Vampire from it. I'm waiting until Thursday/Friday when the rare gacha pool changes. I don't need another dark monster right now, so I'll see what cycles in before I decide if I want to pull.

Except the most important stuff like your actual account :(

Heh I just did this and now im depressed that I spent more money on this ...

See my above comment. :p

Also, can you back your save up via iCloud? Like, say you get a new phone at some point...Then what?

E: I've only done one rare pull...Got my Vampire from it. I'm waiting until Thursday/Friday when the rare gacha pool changes. I don't need another dark monster right now, so I'll see what cycles in before I decide if I want to pull.

Do we know what it's changing to? Or is it just random?

Jinko

Also, can you back your save up via iCloud? Like, say you get a new phone at some point...Then what?

You can on iphone not so sure about android, think there might be cloud saves on jelly bean but not sure about previous releases.

My device is rooted so ill just back up, will be transferring it to a tablet soon.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Do we know what it's changing to? Or is it just random?

Good question. It may be listed on some official JP site, but I have NO idea.

Bought the 6 stone pack. Meh. I now have 100 boxes available. That should hold me for a bit. Perfect timing with the Metal Dragon coming up for me in a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom