• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many are you feeding to Valk at a time? I've been really annoyed about skill up rates lately, so I started feeding 4-5 at a time, and this has helped alot. It seems very possible that overall, you are going to get less skill ups this way. However, it will be more steady...you won't go 20 without a skill up this way, or at least it is crazy unlikely.
I always feed 5 at a time, unless it's the last skill-up.

There's an Ancient Chinese Secret (which is probably complete bullshit and I'm going to regret introducing this meme three seconds after hitting reply) which claims that skillup rates fluctuate per a rate determined approximately every minute.

The idea according to the superstition is to fuse something shitty, say Bomb, at :00, and if you get multiple skillups then you've hit a "good minute" and you should fuse shit as much as you can before that minute goes up. If you get lucky you might even be in the legendary "1/1 minute" where every one fusion grants one skillup..!

Basically confirmation bias in full swing.

mercviper

How many are you feeding to Valk at a time? I've been really annoyed about skill up rates lately, so I started feeding 4-5 at a time, and this has helped alot. It seems very possible that overall, you are going to get less skill ups this way. However, it will be more steady...you won't go 20 without a skill up this way, or at least it is crazy unlikely.

It's 20% chance per monster fed no matter how many you feed at a time.

There's an Ancient Chinese Secret (which is probably complete bullshit and I'm going to regret introducing this meme three seconds after hitting reply) which claims that skillup rates fluctuate per a rate determined approximately every minute.

The idea according to the superstition is to fuse something shitty, say Bomb, at :00, and if you get multiple skillups then you've hit a "good minute" and you should fuse shit as much as you can before that minute goes up. If you get lucky you might even be in the legendary "1/1 minute" where every one fusion grants one skillup..!

Basically confirmation bias in full swing.
Sure. Seems like it does work that way sometimes, I guess.

I also have a personal (bullshit, probably) theory that the chance for skill up is linked to the specific slot you use to feed the monster to your base monster. Because why not? I seem to have the best luck in the third slot, and sometimes I can combo the two ancient Chinese secrets (btw, I'm Chinese, so there you go) to go 2-for-2 using the third slot.

Anyway, during this event, I got Cu Chulainn's skill from 3 to max, Seigfried's from 1 to 4, Lilith from 4 to max, a second Lilith from 2 to 6, Gigas from 1 to max (!), and Valkyrie from 1 to 2. I also dumped skill up fodder into Mastering and Frost Demon, but I haven't been keeping track of those. I got 0 skill ups for MFK.

OTIX

Why would the programmers spend the time to implement any of these very convoluted mechanics when there is absolutely no benefit in it, especially when it would be an absolute nightmare to find any bugs.

The answer is that randomness is random and there is nothing we can do to influence it at all.

Why would the programmers spend the time to implement any of these very convoluted mechanics when there is absolutely no benefit in it, especially when it would be an absolute nightmare to find any bugs.

The answer is that randomness is random and there is nothing we can do to influence it at all.
Yes, but pet theories keep us sane when we don't get skill ups for the zillionth time in a row. =)

At least it's still better than, "2 times 0 is still 0."

SaintR

I also believe it's very random. I had horrible rates when the event first started but I've now gotten skill ups every time I have fed several at a time now.
Conversely, I had 40+ pulls from the PAL machine and have 0 metal dragons to show for. I was about to post if this is normal because I've always gotten several before in the last event, but I decided to chalk it up to RNG going RNG.

linsivvi

There's some truth to that myth, though it's not by design.

Most computer randomization is done by using the internal clock, down to milliseconds, and then apply an algorithm to reach a pseudo random number. If the algorithm is not perfect, you're more likely to see patterns.

For example, the Windows implementation of PHP is known to generation not so random numbers.

Even if that's the case here, however, I don't think there's a way to predict when the rolls are going in your favor. It's just that there will be higher chance for good and bad streaks.

J0dy77

Obviously my earlier comment was tongue in cheek. It's random, shit happens and you go on bad runs. It helps to vent. But there is now way ill believe that 20% is the skill up chance.

But playing devils advocate. There's reason to program that type of crap when people are feeding money into your pockets to keep buying imaginary magic stones.

Yeah. I don't think the game intentionally trolls me or anything like that. Though I can understand that perception can make it seem so. And I don't think there's any difference with feeding 1 or 5 at a time. I just do 5 to save time and because there's more of a chance of getting at least 1 skill-up at feeding time. So if I feed 20, 5 at a time, and get only 1 skill-up each time, I may be only getting a 20% rate, but I'm getting a positive outcome 100% of the time, which is satisfying. If I fed 20, 1 at a time, I'd still be getting a 20% rate, but I'd be experiencing failure 80% of the time. And it's impossible to get that, "Hell yeah!" feeling of scoring multiple skill-ups in a single feeding, if you feed 1 at a time. So, same in-game results in the end, but I'm human, so the 5 at a time method grants me that satisfying psychological bonus. And aren't games about having fun? =)

Yeah. I don't think the game intentionally trolls me or anything like that. Though I can understand that perception can make it seem so. And I don't think there's any difference with feeding 1 or 5 at a time. I just do 5 to save time and because there's more of a chance of getting at least 1 skill-up at feeding time. So if I feed 20, 5 at a time, and get only 1 skill-up each time, I may be only getting a 20% rate, but I'm getting a positive outcome 100% of the time, which is satisfying. If I fed 20, 1 at a time, I'd still be getting a 20% rate, but I'd be experiencing failure 80% of the time. And it's impossible to get that, "Hell yeah!" feeling of scoring multiple skill-ups in a single feeding, if you feed 1 at a time. So, same in-game results in the end, but I'm human, so the 5 at a time method grants me that satisfying psychological bonus. And aren't games about having fun? =)
See, I feel the opposite way. I feel like there's a higher chance if I just drop one at a time, so that's what I do.

It's like how I always just buy one Power Ball ticket at a time. The odds are the same, more or less (I know they're not, but they're so close to 0 that they are).

The old Ancient Chinese Secret was that you had a higher chance feeding 1 at a time instead of 5 at once unless there was a 2x skillup event going on. You could probably make up any one weird olde tip discovered by a local mom for skillups and someone would pipe up "YEAH THAT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE", so

See, I feel the opposite way. I feel like there's a higher chance if I just drop one at a time, so that's what I do.

It's like how I always just buy one Power Ball ticket at a time. The odds are the same, more or less (I know they're not, but they're so close to 0 that they are).
We're talking about 2 different things. I don't do 5 at a time because I think my chances are better. I believe my chances are the same either way. But if I feed 5 at a time, there will be less feedings without a skill-up. For a another example, say I feed 10 mobs, 5 at a time, for a total of 2 feedings, and get 1 skill-up. 1 out of 2 feedings got a skill-up. If I feed those 10 mobs, 1 at a time, and get 1 skill-up, that's only 1 out of 10 feedings that got a skill-up. So, it's the same skill-up chances for every monster fed, but a higher rate of success in terms of number of feedings. It's a silly thing that plays on positive reinforcement. But it's ineffective if you're a soulless android. =P

I have no idea if that clarified my explanation. I'll just leave it at that.

We're talking about 2 different things. I don't do 5 at a time because I think my chances are better. I believe my chances are the same either way. But if I feed 5 at a time, there will be less feedings without a skill-up. For a another example, say I feed 10 mobs, 5 at a time, for a total of 2 feedings, and get 1 skill-up. 1 out of 2 feedings got a skill-up. If I feed those 10 mobs, 1 at a time, and get 1 skill-up, that's only 1 out of 10 feedings that got a skill-up. So, it's the same skill-up chances for every monster fed, but a higher rate of success in terms of number of feedings. It's a silly thing that plays on positive reinforcement. But it's ineffective if you're a soulless android. =P

I have no idea if that clarified my explanation. I'll just leave it at that.
No, I know. I know the odds don't change either way. It just makes me feel better to do one at a time, like it does you to do five at a time. =)

Scratch

*The boys are back in town!!*
[Duration]: 8/10 (Sat) midnight [12:00 AM] - 11:59 PM (PDT)

If you weren't able to get both heroes last time around, they are ready for a rematch. Make sure you save a few Poporings and Marins to skill these guys up!

So which hero do YOU prefer?

Look who's back, back again. Siegfried's back, with his friend

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Come back Xel we miss you. :)

So many of us in this thread aren't spending any money. Just remove your cc from iTunes. ;)

Well hello there, stranger!

You still got your account files saved? You could still be disciplined like Cosmo and the others and casually play for free. You're always welcome back! No pressure though. :D

Yeah, I still have them :s I'll think about it! ;) What have been the major changes in the past half year? Not just as far as new monsters, but systematically.

BetaTester

Neo Member
PDX 8 Aug Update - New Monsters

Athena
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=648

Awoken Athena
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=649

Red Skydragon El Dorado's Ultimate Evolution
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=772

Blue Skydragon Nirai Kanai's Ultimate Evolution
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=773

Wood Skydragon Horai's Ultimate Evolution
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=774

Holy Skydragon Shangri-La's Ultimate Evolution
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=775

Night Skydragon Elysion's Ultimate Evolution
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=776

I will update the rest of them in an hour.

Oh man. For your sanity, please tell me you saved your Poporings, Cosmo.
ypKLjDX.jpg

I am ready to get another 5 Siegfrieds

The game just downloaded a 12 part update. Groove Coaster?

Edit: oh snap it is. Here's what they skillup

[JP] JP players, the skills for GC Collab subs as well as data for Athena has been pushed down.

Fire GC Subs - Skill up Ares
Water GC Subs - Skill up I&I
Wood GC Subs - Skill up Artemis
Benny Ng
Light GC - For 2 turns Balanced type attack 1.5x
Dark GC - 300 confirmed damage to a single enemy.

Benny Ng
Leader skill:
Fire GC - 2x HP for Physical type
Water GC - 2x HP for Balanced type
Wood GC - 2x HP for Attacker type
Light GC - (I don't know)
Dark GC - HP below 10%, 5x attack
Athena - 3x attack for God type

Yeah, I still have them :s I'll think about it! ;) What have been the major changes in the past half year? Not just as far as new monsters, but systematically.
US PAD is no longer the red-headed stepchild and actually stays at most a month behind in content from JP, and gets events and Godfests every ten days as opposed to once a month. We've even started getting a few collab dungeons to skill up Gods.

The metagame has shifted away from Ammy/Grodin and now the hot shit is all about the hyper-defensive Archangel Lucifer. Alternatively, 16x ATK Horus teams and 25x Goemon teams if you like risk.

Kreed

http://i.imgur.com/ypKLjDX.jpg[IMG]
I am ready to get another 5 Siegfrieds

[JP] JP players, the skills for GC Collab subs as well as data for Athena has been pushed down.

Benny Ng

Benny Ng
Leader skill:
Athena - 3x attack for God type[/QUOTE]

BetaTester put the monsters up on puzzledragonsx for anyone wanting to read more about them. UFO Ver.2 seems like a poor man's Dark Goemon, but it's always nice to have options (and if this collab is anything like the COC collab, it'll be a lot easier to get). Is that active skill correct though? 300 Damage?

there is probably no point in having 2 of the 2 Hereoes right? Not sure if i need to run that dungeon again if I already have both. Would rather get trolled in Poring.

StMeph

Ugh. I didn't keep ANY Poporings.

Edit: That's okay though, because Siegfried has had 0 skill ups during the entire Poring Tower event anyway.

J0dy77

The Egyptian gods have brought a really new and fun way to play based on matching specific colors. Goemon teams are a blast to play having to keep health under 20%. There have been a lot of dual elements and final evolutions added to the key characters in game. The content that is coming looks really fun as well, limited team cost dungeons, dual skill enemies that change resistance.

The game hasn't changed a ton but they continue to impress me by balancing the content so well and adding these minor tweaks that keep it fresh.

Edit: anyone notice the update this morning added 15 or so mobs? Was that the chinese gods maybe?

Benny Ng

Benny Ng
Leader skill:
Athena - 3x attack for God type

The Egyptian gods have brought a really new and fun way to play based on matching specific colors. Goemon teams are a blast to play having to keep health under 20%. There have been a lot of dual elements and final evolutions added to the key characters in game. The content that is coming looks really fun as well, limited team cost dungeons, dual skill enemies that change resistance.

The game hasn't changed a ton but they continue to impress me by balancing the content so well and adding these minor tweaks that keep it fresh.

Edit: anyone notice the update this morning added 15 or so mobs? Was that the chinese gods maybe?

Look Up :D

linsivvi

Ugh. I didn't keep ANY Poporings.

Edit: That's okay though, because Siegfried has had 0 skill ups during the entire Poring Tower event anyway.

Same. Terrible luck. :/

BetaTester put the monsters up on puzzledragonsx for anyone wanting to read more about them. UFO Ver.2 seems like a poor man's Dark Goemon, but it's always nice to have options (and if this collab is anything like the COC collab, it'll be a lot easier to get). Is that active skill correct though? 300 Damage?

300 direct damage that ignores defense. Min cool down is 8 turns.

The light one is 1.5 Balanced ATK for 2 turns.

http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=769
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=771

Also, the RGB version 2 monsters are 10 cost only with decent stats.

Kreed

Ahh thanks. So more junk outside of the skill ups?

Only if you have the monsters the water, fire, and grass ones skill up. Otherwise I wouldn't write them off as junk as they all have decent stats so they could be useful subs in some teams for people who don't have the respective Gods they skill up.

The Light one has a unique skill though (1.5 for balance types for 2 turns vs King Bubblie's x3 for one turn and much better stats), and the Dark one has Goemon's leader skill but it's 10% instead of 20%.

Uthred

Its probably going to be another week or two till the next godfest isnt it? Tempted to pull because theres a few dark monsters I'd like

J0dy77

Only if you have the monsters the water, fire, and grass ones skill up. Otherwise I wouldn't write them off as junk as they all have decent stats so they could be useful subs in some teams for people who don't have the respective Gods they skill up.

The Light one has a unique skill though (1.5 for balance types for 2 turns vs King Bubblie's x3 for one turn and much better stats), and the Dark one has Goemon's leader skill but it's 10% instead of 20%.

Yeah, I went looking after my post. The Poor Man's Goemon seems interesting to swap for Goemon on water dungeons with a few Vampires.

I also really want this guy's dungeon:

http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=778

For some odd reason I decided to waste some stones on the non-godfest Shadow Waltz REM. Here were the results:

Mystic White Knight
Thanatos, the dark elemental
Fairlio
Dryad.
Thantos

All horrible until...

Archangel Lucifer -> CDK -> Hades

all in a row.......was tempted to throw some money down to see if my insane luck would continue. This is way better than my usual godfest results.

Its probably going to be another week or two till the next godfest isnt it? Tempted to pull because theres a few dark monsters I'd like

bunk-the-wire.gif

For some odd reason I decided to waste some stones on the non-godfest Shadow Waltz REM. Here were the results:

Mystic White Knight
Thanatos, the dark elemental
Fairlio
Dryad.
Thantos

All horrible until...

Archangel Lucifer -> CDK -> Hades

all in a row.......was tempted to throw some money down to see if my insane luck would continue. This is way better than my usual godfest results.

damn that's good luck. People : don't pull assuming this will happen.

Gaspode_T

Does GungHo definitely need your three 3-digit ID to do a restore of your data? I dropped my iPhone in water and it was completely hosed, no I didn't do backup, yes I feel extremely stupid now

I looked at all my pictures I uploaded to twitter and none have that ID in it...maybe they will take pity upon me and look it up for me??? :p

mercviper

Does GungHo definitely need your three 3-digit ID to do a restore of your data? I dropped my iPhone in water and it was completely hosed, no I didn't do backup, yes I feel extremely stupid now

I looked at all my pictures I uploaded to twitter and none have that ID in it...maybe they will take pity upon me and look it up for me??? :p

Did you ever post it in the gaf thread? Supposedly they need your secret support ID too, so I don't know how much it's going to help if you only have your game ID. If you ever made any backups of the account data (data048.bin?) that should work though.

Gaspode_T

I was friends with KuroNeeko at one point but I think he made a new account at some point, anyway, if they reject me maybe it is a good sign to cut my losses here and wait until the 3DS one comes out...

StMeph

As far as I know, before the secret code was made available, GungHo was still able to recover accounts, but you may have to jump through more hoops and provide more information to be able to do so.

The secret code is just a quick way to confirm account data and bypass most of the verification, I think. The better question is if you can use the secret code to ask for a restore cross-platform, by asking for the data on a new device, whether iOS - > Android or vice versa, as right now users can't migrate on their own.

Gaspode_T

What is kind of annoying is that I didn't have to do any of this headache for Clash of Clans, just click little cloud icon, load it up, "do you want to load your Lvl blah kingdom?" and it is back online...
For how much money they are making GungHo really needs to implement the same cloud save system...

What is kind of annoying is that I didn't have to do any of this headache for Clash of Clans, just click little cloud icon, load it up, "do you want to load your Lvl blah kingdom?" and it is back online...
For how much money they are making GungHo really needs to implement the same cloud save system...
They did put an account login system... into Princess Punt Sweets, their Angry Birds+PAD game.

Also Skydragon Rush is super free to Horus. No heal orbs = thanks GungHo

Nista

I need to get a Chu Chu this time around. What do you guys think is the safest route for farming two heroes? I tend to go mono blue, but I could also try a Loki dark team or mono red perhaps (don't have a Lucifer).

Nista

Dubstep space invaders? Kids these days!

I'm also debating switching my neptune from light to dark to have as a sub on my Astaroth team. Think it's worth farming up all the dubmythlits for?

J0dy77

This is by far my most wanted feature. Tower of Saviors has the option to associate your account with Twitter, this isn't a hard thing and there is no excuse for not implementing it.

I love the game but I'm really getting frustrated with the lack of effort compared to the amount of money they are being showered in. How do they not have multiple backgrounds for each dungeon at this point? And being slowly spoon fed new content and then recycling sky dragons, "for anyone who missed them"? BS, it's called dragging out the content so you can keep lining your pockets. We are way behind Japan in content that we should have seen already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom