• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

J0dy77

They seem to eventually add ultimate evos' to older monsters to increase their use (see starter dragons, toy dragons, heartbreakers). All they need to do is add an evo for Zeus (technically they already have one...or is he a new monster) and he's useful again.

Agree with your thoughts though.

I was thinking the same thing for Zeus. Hopefully they do that.

On another note. Why didn't we get the groove coaster stage artwork?

http://youtu.be/gLV5IcsRTGI

I agree. They're going to have to keep adding mechanics to keep the game to keep things fresh and to keep people interested. Which is a very good thing but at the same time it is going to make older content extremely easy and replace certain members that were once really strong. This is already happening to mobs like Zeus. Think of it as an MMO, level caps go up, new loot and the old stuff becomes trivial.

Basically. I've thought from the beginning that the actual team building aspect of the game was too simplistic to field much depth in actual team rosters. And that generally has been the case when you look at teams -- there are a really small amount of "elite" monsters in the game which everyone uses on their teams, while many others are ignored.

If you compare P&D to other card-based deck building games like Magic the Gathering, it becomes glaring how much depth the game actually lacks. Of course, with only 6 team slots, you really are pretty limited to begin with. Adding passive skills will allow quite a bit more options for team building, which will also translate for Gungho to require different strategies to succeed in dungeons down the road.

If gungho executes this well, it could be a really cool mechanic!

StMeph

Basically. I've thought from the beginning that the actual team building aspect of the game was too simplistic to field much depth in actual team rosters. And that generally has been the case when you look at teams -- there are a really small amount of "elite" monsters in the game which everyone uses on their teams, while many others are ignored.

I'm not sure I fully agree.

The more different viable leaders there are, the more usable subs there are that work with those leaders. Goemon's subs are different from an otherwise ordinary mono-red composition, where Uriel/Noel, Ares, and Freyr/Tyrannos are swapped around as needed for the multipliers desired. Isis/Horus/Ra demand a rainbow composition, and Valkyrie healer teams have their own lists.

There are a lot of monsters that are included on several lists, like Echidna, but for the most part, I don't feel like the team building diversity is a significantly limiting factor. The upcoming limited-team cost dungeons restrict leaders and subs, and force new monsters to be used, though rather artificially.

I started playing with Valk + healers, switched to monofire Freyr, added an ADK team, used some Siren/Odin resists in the middle, and eventually started tackling Descendeds and added Goemon. Hera's not much of a leader, but Zeus used to be, and is still a great sub. Upcoming Athena and Zeus-Dios are also excellent leaders.

I feel like there's a fairly healthy list of great leaders, many of them from Descended dungeons. While I don't disagree that Lucifer is easymode, it's not a perfect team that can tackle everything.

Currently revealed evolve skills:
Gauge Boost: The party starts with 1 turn off their cooldown. So if you stack 5 of 'em, you can have a Heart Breaker / Mystic Knight skill ready from turn 1.
Paralyze Resistance: I'm guessing that's a chance to resist Bind. Apparently if you have two stacked, you have Bind Immunity.
Orb Enhance: Orbs have a chance to drop as enhanced orbs. The more you stack, the higher the chance.
Extend Orb Movement Time: Tsukiyomi gets a passive skill that... does the same thing her leader skill does.
Stat Boost: HP boost and ATK boost were shown, presumably there will be a RCV boost as well.
Also an unnamed skill that lets you recover from Bind when you match Heart Orbs.

Wanchan

It's a great sub for a balance team once evolved in regards to stats and it's ability. If you aren't running a balance team/have no plans to run one you can ignore it.

I see no point at all to run a "type" team unless Gungho start adding strength/weakness between types, guess i'll just feed it to Valk then :(

Wow...this is great. Seriously, great thing for the game, IMO.

I'm not sure I fully agree.

The more different viable leaders there are, the more usable subs there are that work with those leaders. Goemon's subs are different from an otherwise ordinary mono-red composition, where Uriel/Noel, Ares, and Freyr/Tyrannos are swapped around as needed for the multipliers desired. Isis/Horus/Ra demand a rainbow composition, and Valkyrie healer teams have their own lists.

There are a lot of monsters that are included on several lists, like Echidna, but for the most part, I don't feel like the team building diversity is a significantly limiting factor. The upcoming limited-team cost dungeons restrict leaders and subs, and force new monsters to be used, though rather artificially.

I started playing with Valk + healers, switched to monofire Freyr, added an ADK team, used some Siren/Odin resists in the middle, and eventually started tackling Descendeds and added Goemon. Hera's not much of a leader, but Zeus used to be, and is still a great sub. Upcoming Athena and Zeus-Dios are also excellent leaders.

I feel like there's a fairly healthy list of great leaders, many of them from Descended dungeons. While I don't disagree that Lucifer is easymode, it's not a perfect team that can tackle everything.

Oh yeah, it's definitely true that there are many different half-viable leaders. But the subs for most teams tend to be the usual suspects of heartbreakers, gravity users, and heart makers.

I probably overstated my case, because I do really enjoy the game and I think overall it does have quite a bit of depth and can be very fun. At the same time, I think there is a lot of untapped potential. These passive skills are perfect. The game just got 6X (6 monsters, 6 skills) more deep, and this has the potential to open up many different options for play mechanics in the future.

Do we know yet which monsters will have those as available upgrades? Because they look pretty overpowered.
Haven't watched the stream yet cause I am not watching a 2+hr video on bandwidth limited 3G, but I think so far just GrOdin, Tsukuyomi, and maybe Tyrannos? Don't know if all skills are available to every monster or if there are exclusive ones.

SaintR

this sounds like a terrible idea. I mean, there are people that have max skilled Zeus' etcs. If you max out these skills, game is easy mode. Really hope they have some sort of cap on these.
This is only possible after a very long span of play time, or if you dump buckets of money into the game. So it's almost like a reward for long time players or high rollers.
However, I do agree allowing these types of skills it will make this game insanely easy.

This is only possible after a very long span of play time, or if you dump buckets of money into the game. So it's almost like a reward for long time players or high rollers.
However, I do agree allowing these types of skills it will make this game insanely easy.

these people exist. and there are quite a few of them.

Believe

I see no point at all to run a "type" team unless Gungho start adding strength/weakness between types, guess i'll just feed it to Valk then :(
A 9x ATK balance team is great if you don't have an Egyptian god or are looking for a little more HP than a Valkyrie team. Certainly not the best team in the game, and the team members are a bit limited, but this team could easily be used to farm up to Ocean of Heaven.

A 9x ATK balance team is great if you don't have an Egyptian god or are looking for a little more HP than a Valkyrie team. Certainly not the best team in the game, and the team members are a bit limited, but this team could easily be used to farm up to Ocean of Heaven.
I have one of those teams, and it's really great for blowing through Master and easier content without thinking (no need to get combos for burst damage).

Kreed

Depending on the lead monsters/skills type teams can be pretty powerful. Like Valkyrie Healer teams, Physical teams (Goemon/Siegfried), etc... are a good way to give you access to a variety of skills not available to a "mono color" team (and more powerful when combined with the King Slimes).

this sounds like a terrible idea. I mean, there are people that have max skilled Zeus' etcs. If you max out these skills, game is easy mode. Really hope they have some sort of cap on these.

From what I'm reading that's not how these skills work. You don't max them/level them up like active skills, and they only stack by adding additional team members with the same skill. And this is the key, what monsters are getting what skills and what teams can you compose with these monsters.

For example in Cosmo Clock 21 quote, they mention Gauge Boost. In order to have the scenario Cosmo Clock 21 mentioned with a Heart Breaker being able to use it's active in 1 turn, you'd need 5 team members that drop the cool down clock with Gauge Boost. BUT these monsters might not work well as a team with the Heart Breaker in question. Like what if this skill is exclusive to a monster that needs red orbs and you exclusively use a mono blue team/want to use the skill with Siegfried?

J0dy77

If you compare P&D to other card-based deck building games like Magic the Gathering, it becomes glaring how much depth the game actually lacks. Of course, with only 6 team slots, you really are pretty limited to begin with. Adding passive skills will allow quite a bit more options for team building, which will also translate for Gungho to require different strategies to succeed in dungeons down the road.

If gungho executes this well, it could be a really cool mechanic!

Comparing PAD to Magic the Gathering seems a bit like apples and oranges. I'm looking forward to new mechanics. Adding more depth can only grow the game and if a few monsters fall bay the wayside as a result of growing the game, I'm fine with that.

Bottom line is that if they didn't do something new the game would slowly die out. We can only have so many 2.5x, 3x monster combinations. The long term success of the game will depend greatly on how well/long they can keep it fresh.

SaintR

One thing i'm sure we can agree with is : Riders will never die.
Lol multi-rider troll pull was always the best...

Btw on a tangent of that, do any of you guys keep your rippers around. At this point in the game in which team cost is almost a non-factor and better dragon alternatives, I've been wondering if I should feed them into my other mobs for +stats that I have on them.

Wanchan

One thing i'm sure we can agree with is : Riders will never die.

The Master Race, instant favorites!

sGUOKoP.jpg

they actually make decent subs for a Ra/Horus team that needs every color. Marine Rider was on the team i used to take down Zeus so I could use another dark sub instead of worrying about water/wood. He's the only one i've used though.

First Pull ftw.

StMeph

New game/thought exercise:

Design a dungeon with mechanics or limitations that thwart Lucifer teams, without impacting ANY other common team builds/archetypes, ie. Valk, Zeus, Goemon, monocolors, Egyptian rainbow, zombie, resist-healer, dragons, etc.

I'm getting kind of burnt out on this game. There are still plenty of dungeons I haven't beat on normal and technical and then the special dungeons roll around and I don't even use the dragons and stuff that drop. It's just getting old I guess.

Anyways, lol, do you get stones for 200 consecutive days logged in?

I'm getting kind of burnt out on this game. There are still plenty of dungeons I haven't beat on normal and technical and then the special dungeons roll around and I don't even use the dragons and stuff that drop. It's just getting old I guess.

Yes, you do get a bonus at 200 days. I hear you about the fatigue but it can be overcome (and without spending $$$). For me, getting a few of my better monsters to max level has really refreshed my enthusiasm for the game. Now I will say that $$$ probably did play a part in that as I have 500 storage spots which makes it easier to hold evo mats which makes it easier to level and so on...

Jagernaut

The 200 days bonus is 10 stones, I got mine over the weekend and will probably use them on the next Godfest (hopefully includes Angels).

Extend Orb Movement Time: Tsukiyomi gets a passive skill that... does the same thing her leader skill does.
Haven't given deep thought to strategies for all those passive skills, but this one in particular jumped out at me. Of course, every slot is valuable and it may not be good enough even in a sub slot, especially if you're a PAD god like TGP who doesn't need pansy orb time extensions. But a lot of players can really benefit from this without needing to take up a leader slot. Especially Horus/Ra players.

Wow! The Universal GC dungeon gives over 500exp/stam. I thinks that's the most exp/stam efficient special dungeon yet. That's great for players who decide to farm it.

Design a dungeon with mechanics or limitations that thwart Lucifer teams, without impacting ANY other common team builds/archetypes, ie. Valk, Zeus, Goemon, monocolors, Egyptian rainbow, zombie, resist-healer, dragons, etc.

simple enough : monster counter attacks upon being dealt a killer blow. Even if its like 5 damage, would still require a new strategy

simple enough : monster counter attacks upon being dealt a killer blow. Even if its like 5 damage, would still require a new strategy
That would actually nuke Zeus teams, too, since Zeus's leader ability requires full HP.

Here's an easy one that stops my Lucifer team dead cold every time: give every enemy Dark Bind. Since Lucifer teams rely on the whole team being dark, it will bind them all, and that'll be game.

Kreed

Cosmo Clock 21 already mentioned that the upcoming Sky Dragon rush dungeon has a mechanic that thrwarts Lucifer teams by all the Dragons having preemptive strikes and no heal orbs being available in the dungeons, but this hurts Goemon (and now UFO ver 2) teams.

If I designed a mechanic to limit Lucifer teams, it would be one where all the monsters (or at least the boss monster) in a dungeon preemptively puts up a shield that prevents damage from any move that's not a orb combo.

Cosmo Clock 21 already mentioned that the upcoming Sky Dragon rush dungeon has a mechanic that thrwarts Lucifer teams by all the Dragons having preemptive strikes and no heal orbs being available in the dungeons, but this hurts Goemon (and now UFO ver 2) teams.

If I designed a mechanic to limit Lucifer teams, it would be one where all the monsters (or at least the boss monster) in a dungeon preemptively puts up a shield that prevents damage from any move that's not a orb combo.
This would hurt Gravity teams as well, although actually being able to Menace the boss due to no pre-emptive skill guard might offset that disadvantage.

That would actually nuke Zeus teams, too, since Zeus's leader ability requires full HP.

Here's an easy one that stops my Lucifer team dead cold every time: give every enemy Dark Bind. Since Lucifer teams rely on the whole team being dark, it will bind them all, and that'll be game.

solve with a heal orb, right? Doing a 1 damage counter attack ends the game for luci teams though. Just inconviences Zeus teams. And if you take a zeus team into a no-heal orb dungeon, thats just not smart.

Problem with giving dark bind to everyone.....makes every dark monster useless doesn't it?

solve with a heal orb, right? Doing a 1 damage counter attack ends the game for luci teams though. Just inconviences Zeus teams. And if you take a zeus team into a no-heal orb dungeon, thats just not smart.

Problem with giving dark bind to everyone.....makes every dark monster useless doesn't it?
I disagree. If anything, as a Lucifer player, I think it would affect Zeus teams more, and here's why: with Luci, you aren't going to be using Morning Star until the final round to clear the whole dungeon, and a few HP of damage between rounds is really a non-factor. Even if you do end up getting killed by a boss counter attack, at that point, it's really just a matter of whether or not you want to use a stone to pick up your drops (which I had to do when I killed Zeus with an Anubis counter and died myself).

With a Zeus 9x team, though, setting his HP back enough to negate his ability each round could be a huge dealbreaker--particularly if in the next round you encounter something with an attack timer of 1, since you'll have to use one turn to heal, but it'll just hit you on that turn, so you never get your ability.

As for Dark Bind, I think it would suck for all Dark mobs, but it's particularly bad in a Lucifer team because, unlike with most other teams, your whole team, including your leaders, are Dark. It would freeze them all and negate your leader skills. Of course, you could get around this by using the new bind resist and the heart orb bind break skills, but you'd have to build your team around that, which is the end goal of this discussion anyway, I think.

Narras

I don't play this game as often as before, but I still keep up on events that are still happening. So, I went to try the new collaboration dungeon, heard the music and decided to not do anything just so I could listen to the remix. LOL

It made me want to hear some new music from the game.

muu

They could create mobs that progressively get stronger: medium damage at the beginning and hitting harder until they're doing 99,999 every turn. 1x attack parties couldn't handle that at all.

Starlight Sanctuary: King of Gods normal dungeon already limits Lucifer by giving Zeus massive HP to ensure that no currently possible Lucifer team can easily kill him before he can start attacking. And Zeus deals over 25K damage per turn, which is very difficult to keep up with, even with 4xHP/4xRCV. And it doesn't hurt Goemon teams obviously, since people are farming it with Goemon. So, people are trying to come up with dungeons to counter Lucifer, when we've had one ever since the game's Western release. And it's a normal dungeon to boot, meaning old abandoned teams like Resolve/Resist + Heal are even still viable.

Kreed

This would hurt Gravity teams as well, although actually being able to Menace the boss due to no pre-emptive skill guard might offset that disadvantage.

Yeah I thought about Gravity users, but the thing with Lucifer Teams is that most people combine them with multiple gravity users to fight bosses that two Lucifer attacks won't kill by themselves. Plus there's not many ways to "disable" Lucifer strategies without messing up another team strategy.

xCobalt

What if a boss reflected the damage from abilities back? It would hurt Lucifer teams and gravity users would only lose 1/3 of their health.

As far as Lucifer-proof dungeon goes, George is right. 1 turn timers and huge attack easily neutralizes Lucifer. Hera-Is Mystical also gave me trouble with Luci, and I had over 60k HP.

A sort of cheap way would be to make enemy attacks do either "x" damage or "y%" of your total health, whichever is higher. This would affect all high HP teams. It isn't very clever though. Just a sort of cheap solution.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I got a lucky clear with my Valk team on Universal. My damage is a bit low, though. What are you guys using to farm it? The XP is nice.

I got a lucky clear with my Valk team on Universal. My damage is a bit low, though. What are you guys using to farm it? The XP is nice.
ycw32O0l.jpg

That's my underleveled Valk team. Typically I pop my heartbreaks on rounds 5, 6-8, 9, and 10 as necessary. With two off colors I can usually do an AOE attack to clear any given wave.

Warrior Rose Valkyrie is now, by far, the most common monster on my friend list. I used to endlessly farm with my ADK then Zaerog team and would resort to Zeus friends after I exhausted those, since Zeus boosts any type. But I may have to build a Valkyrie team as a secondary farm team now, seeing as so many players use her. I'm holding onto 14 Drops to get my second Valk her final skill-up. After already having poured over 50 Drops into her, I'm not attempting the final skill-up outside of a 2x skill-up event. I'm even still nervous with 14 feeders.

Kreed

If you're trying to play it safe/don't want to deal with charging up skills, Green Odin works really well in this dungeon as long as you have more than 12000 HP.

Warrior Rose Valkyrie is now, by far, the most common monster on my friend list. I used to endlessly farm with my ADK then Zaerog team and would resort to Zeus friends after I exhausted those, since Zeus boosts any type. But I may have to build a Valkyrie team as a secondary farm team now, seeing as so many players use her. I'm holding onto 14 Drops to get my second Valk her final skill-up. After already having poured over 50 Drops into her, I'm not attempting the final skill-up outside of a 2x skill-up event. I'm even still nervous with 14 feeders.
I've had to do the same thing. At any given time, 9 or 10 of my 60 friends are Valkyrie. I've basically just put together a team with Siren, Echidna, Freyja, and Lilith. I'm working on a Venus, a second Valkyrie, and hopefully Ammy will get a healer busty. I think that team would be superior to a Zeus team, since there is no max health requirement. Not sure if I can count on the Japanese busties though. My Ammy and Orochi's would certainly benefit, but there has been a trend lately of giving ultimate evos to only parts of a set and leaving the rest alone (Indian, heartbreakers,...). I got off topic...Valkyrie is the new ADK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom