• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad it helped! I'm trying to get my Goemon leveled above 70. 52 is just too little HP. Need more red stuff!

I agree, and If i wanted to run that team on legendary, I would definately need a higher level Goemon too, but Master fits that team pretty well even with 1 sub 50 goemon. Helps when you have all max skilled heartbreakers.

Mine's level 56 if that's enough for you.

Invite Sent

EDIT: Had some refreshes! YAY! two no drops in a row and still no invades... Has anyone seen the blue fire dragon? is it similar to other invades where it has the same likeliness of appearing on every level?

Radav

Was going to post that Pad Guide had it at the same total. Did he use the 2x strength skill on his first turn? That happened to me and I had to clear him.

I'm sure I just must have gone a little dyslexic and went in just under the HP threshold and not over. You guys pretty conclusively proved their listed attack numbers are right so it was obviously my mistake.

Pacman2k

Thought I was toast trying to crack Gaia's armor... Got a 24x off right on the first move and was surprised to see all 1's for my damage.

Got RNG luck with orb drops, 13x combo + Horus/Ra triggered, red damage managed to squeak through his defense and kill him.

Sketchy.

Ashodin

Just evolved today

515.png

One step closer!

Kyu

Neo Member
Update to 5.4 incoming on tuesday 27th. For iOS users, please be aware that iOS 5.0 or earlier will no longer be supported.

changelog?
- Add sort monster box by level, cost, rarity
- Break sort friends list by last played (I don't know why they haven't fixed this yet)
- New UI for iOS users
- iOS 5.0 or later required. Not the same thing as iPhone 5 or later required, in case that throws you for a loop
- anti-cheat protection for Android whoops, this actually just makes the game chew through battery life even harder. They fixed the update randomly deleting your safe data at least!
- cheevos added for Android
- allow android to choose between 4:3 and 16:9 I think?
- Zeus Dios buffed to 3.5x ATK, sub type and element added to the Grodins
- Skydragon busties
- sticker girl gacha
- support for dual-element enemies added
- support for non-traditional dungeon backgrounds added. Little late there...

Basically the only noticeable differerence will be the UI refresh.

Overheating. I think there were cases of burned devices. Laggy, Battery drain, Wiping data files
GungHo's solution to defeating Puzzcombo was basically polling the process data constantly for stuff like com.app.puzzcombo and shutting down the game if it detected it running. Never mind that it was defeated day 1 by renaming the app to something else, it's also hella invasive and wasn't implemented on iOS because of the sandbox/app store guidelines. You can easily imagine why that caused the problems on Android.

They "fixed" the problems by rolling android back to 5.3 and calling it 5.4.2.

Ashodin

GungHo's solution to defeating Puzzcombo was basically polling the process data constantly for stuff like com.app.puzzcombo and shutting down the game if it detected it running. Never mind that it was defeated day 1 by renaming the app to something else, it's also hella invasive and wasn't implemented on iOS because of the sandbox/app store guidelines. You can easily imagine why that caused the problems on Android.

They "fixed" the problems by rolling android back to 5.3 and calling it 5.4.2.

LOL no wonder my shit was overheating. THanks GungTroll.

decent updates. I have a feeling dual color enemies will piss me off.

Breaking puzzcombo is kind of a dick move on their part, but then again....so are most things they do.

Is there some kind of weird mechanic with the dual element? Can one attack span across both elements? Does the game automatically use your attacks in the best order to ensure they take advantage of type weaknesses?

Is there some kind of weird mechanic with the dual element? Can one attack spam across both elements? Does the game automatically use your attacks in the best order to ensure they take advantage of type weaknesses?

Basically it seems like there are main and sub elements : half a health bar each. Your attacks start with the 'main element' half first.

So if you use a fire attack against a wood/water mob....it would do 2x damage until the first bar is gone, then .5 damage for the rest.

Maybe?

mercviper

Is there some kind of weird mechanic with the dual element? Can one attack spam across both elements? Does the game automatically use your attacks in the best order to ensure they take advantage of type weaknesses?

Pretty sure the game just attacks with your monsters from left to right, prioritizing targeting to what's available at the time. Something like this:

-If you match 5 in a color, fire after all other monsters.
-Targets first finishing blows, if none available, targets monsters that would take 2x damage.
-Never target monsters that would take 1/2 damage. This rule has priority over finishing blows too.
-All else being equal, target monsters left to right.

Since the prioritization never changes the order the attacks fire off in, it's doubtful that the game will smart prioritize that your fire attacks need to go first before your water attacks if you're facing a wood/water split health bar. Instead, you should just rearrange your monster lineup such that your fire monsters are on the left, and water monsters on the right so it fires in the correct order.

I do want confirmation on how the health bar works though. It makes the most sense to me that if you hit a grass/water type with a single monster's fire attack you would get 2x until you broke the halfway point and the rest of the attack would do half damage.

Finally got my Light Mech and Glacier Dragon. Ultimate evo`d is just icing on the cake.I wish they was a monster that boost Legendary Dragons though.

I -think- the monsters only switch elements after the attack ends, so if there were a Water/Grass monster with 40HP/40HP (grass being the initial element), and you did a 40 damage fire attack, the monster would die, not take 20x2 damage for the first half of the HP then 20x0.5 damage for the second. I base this off the fact that there is a very obvious visual effect on element change which only happens when the monster survives after getting knocked down under 50% HP and not on actual confirmation cause I wasn't really paying attention to damage when fighting those monsters.

Also I forgot that there's a new dungeon added after conditionals where the Mythic Ore Dragons drop as boss monsters. 50% resist to two elements and leader swap as an active. Some of the resist combinations are new and some overlap with existing monsters.

The dungeons are pretty difficult, and the bosses have pre-emptive skill guard. The drop rate is horrendous, as you might expect. I think the dungeons also straight up drop Dark/Shiny Pengdra where applicable too.

-Never target monsters that would take 1/2 damage. This rule has priority over finishing blows too.
This rule is also negated if the monster's defense is so high that you'll only be doing 1 damage.

For example, say there's a green divine mask with a few HP left and a red something or other with a large HP pool that's still mostly full. Your blue monster will target the mask because it's getting close to death.

Kreed

Also I forgot that there's a new dungeon added after conditionals where the Mythic Ore Dragons drop as boss monsters. 50% resist to two elements and leader swap as an active. Some of the resist combinations are new and some overlap with existing monsters.

The dungeons are pretty difficult, and the bosses have pre-emptive skill guard. The drop rate is horrendous, as you might expect. I think the dungeons also straight up drop Dark/Shiny Pengdra where applicable too.

What's the general opinion on these new dragons? They look like they could make for a pretty good defense/resist team if you brought in one or two of them as subs and swapped leaders as needed.

I would like it if they added the ability to sort by Pal Points on the helper select screen. When I'm doing mindless Kagutsuchi farming where the helper doesn't matter, I simply scroll down my helper list and select the ones that haven't been used yet. Eventually the list starts to get full of helpers that don't provide any Pal Points anymore, and I have to keep scrolling down to find one that does. I can't be the only one who does this and would love that sort option.

What's the general opinion on these new dragons? They look like they could make for a pretty good defense/resist team if you brought in one or two of them as subs and swapped leaders as needed.

Well, you also need a dungeon to use them in. Actually went and looked at their elements and they're
Water/Wood
Wood/Dark
Fire/Light
Dark/Fire
Light/Water

Who don't really correspond to any existing Legendary+ difficulty dungeons; Hera-Ur is the closest one but there is actually stuff other than Fire/Dark in it.

Damn finally! Maxed skilled my Ares. Had to farm Volcano of Vulcan so damn much for Red Evolve Masks that I even scored 2 Nagas from it. So now I'm done with Ares, Artemis, and I&I on the final day before the 2x skill-up ends tonight. Feels good exhausting.

Gungho thinks they can make up for my atrocious skill ups yesterday by giving me 17 kings in 13 runs. It certainly helps, but I'm gonna be bitter about that for awhile.

Kreed

Well, you also need a dungeon to use them in. Actually went and looked at their elements and they're
Water/Wood
Wood/Dark
Fire/Light
Dark/Fire
Light/Water

Who don't really correspond to any existing Legendary+ difficulty dungeons; Hera-Ur is the closest one but there is actually stuff other than Fire/Dark in it.

I was thinking you could bring at least two of those dragons into a dungeon in order to hot swap them into the leader position with their actives (or bring in one dragon and have a leader that already resists two different elements). Depending on the floor, you would swap in the Dragon that blocks the necessary element. This way you could reduce at least 50% damage for 4 different elements without having to waste more than one leader slot at a time.

Or another scenario would be where the game throws a single boss that does a large amount of damage, and the other bosses don't do nearly as much. You could swap in the dragon you need for that boss, and then swap him back out once the dangerous boss is cleared.

turnbuckle

Just re-installed the game, should I restart if my first monster pull from the rare egg machine is an ivory dragon?

I've restarted a few times and didn't realize I had a couple of 5 star monsters before (well, I knew they were 5 star monsters, but assumed I'd always get 5 star monsters lol). The last several rolls were all 3 star monsters, ivory dragon is 4.

Just dunno how good it is or if I should try again.

Just re-installed the game, should I restart if my first monster pull from the rare egg machine is an ivory dragon?

I've restarted a few times and didn't realize I had a couple of 5 star monsters before (well, I knew they were 5 star monsters, but assumed I'd always get 5 star monsters lol). The last several rolls were all 3 star monsters, ivory dragon is 4.

The list currently in the OP has a comprehensive list of everything worth keeping (which doesn't include Ivory Dragon). The ordering is going to change a bit soon, but is generally sound.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Read the OP. For quick reference:

Stuff said:
S Tier: Archangel Lucifer > Horus > Isis
Congrats! You've acquired the cream of the crop - a monster that will take you all the way to endgame and then some.

A Tier: Ares, Hermes, Artemis, Haku, "Dark" Metatron > Freyr, Idunn&Idunna, Freyja, Leilan, Karin
These monsters are solid leaders that will carry you through the first month or so of content without breaking a sweat, but may run into trouble tackling the most difficult content the game has to offer.

B Tier: Valkyrie, Meimei, Loki > Baal, Bastet, "Blue" Odin, Uriel, Gabriel, Michael, "Light" Metatron > Shiva, Parvati, Persephone, Thor
These monsters have flaws that make them unsuitable as leaders for all lategame content, or are useful only in specific endgame dungeons, but may serve as a good sub on a different team.

I don't want to reroll anymore: Apollo, Lakshmi, "Green" Odin, Siegfried
Self-explanatory.

Savant Tier: Ra > Sakuya
Monsters that require prodigious puzzle skills or heavenly luck to be utilized to their full potential.

The only thing I'd say to you is this:

If you roll Archangel Luci, Horus, or Kirin, you're set. Isis is OK, but I put Kirin above Isis. Do what you'd like, of course...But my two cents is that.

If you're just in it to have some fun on the side, run with whatever you want. But if you're serious about clearing the super hard content, do yourself (and your wallet) a HUGE favor and read the OP re-rolling guide and aim for Luci, Horus, or Kirin.

turnbuckle

The list currently in the OP has a comprehensive list of everything worth keeping (which doesn't include Ivory Dragon). The ordering is going to change a bit soon, but is generally sound.

A couple weekends - maybe a month - ago I rolled a Lucifer! My very first try. I deleted the game a day or two later once I ran out of stamina and magic stones and hated the forced in-app purchase. I went in blindly just playing while waiting for our food to be brought to us at a restaurant.

That was back when I assumed you always started with a God or something similarly great (as a teaser to get new players to want to buy more and more rares).

When my friend told me what monster I should look for and he said Lucifer, I thought he was just messing with me since I assumed he already knew that was what I pulled when I first deleted. Turns out he wasn't messing with me, and now I kinda feel like I ruined the game because I want to get that monster again and keep re-rolling and getting garbage lol.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to go through that tutorial and hit "ok" "ok" "ok" every half second to get through it :p :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
A couple weekends - maybe a month - ago I rolled a Lucifer! My very first try. I deleted the game a day or two later once I ran out of stamina and magic stones and hated the forced in-app purchase. I went in blindly just playing while waiting for our food to be brought to us at a restaurant.

That was back when I assumed you always started with a God or something similarly great (as a teaser to get new players to want to buy more and more rares).

When my friend told me what monster I should look for and he said Lucifer, I thought he was just messing with me since I assumed he already knew that was what I pulled when I first deleted. Turns out he wasn't messing with me, and now I kinda feel like I ruined the game because I want to get that monster again and keep re-rolling and getting garbage lol.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to go through that tutorial and hit "ok" "ok" "ok" every half second to get through it :p :(

If I remember right, you can do a few quick dungeons or something to get a second pull shortly after you finish the tutorial, right? If so, make sure you go until your second pull if you're not enjoying the re-roll.

I have a second account with Luci and Hades on it. The thing is, I don't want to spend more money on a second account. I think I spent about $25 on that account to buy some stones during an event, roll to build a starting base set, but decided I wasn't in the mood.

That being said, I may start working on my sub account on my iPad because why not. :p

Zero_IYAD

Welcome
I call dibs for your rank 20 friend single roll :D

turnbuckle

If I remember right, you can do a few quick dungeons or something to get a second pull shortly after you finish the tutorial, right? If so, make sure you go until your second pull if you're not enjoying the re-roll.

I have a second account with Luci and Hades on it. The thing is, I don't want to spend more money on a second account. I think I spent about $25 on that account to buy some stones during an event, roll to build a starting base set, but decided I wasn't in the mood.

That being said, I may start working on my sub account on my iPad because why not. :p

What's the benefit to having a second account other than being able to play on one while waiting for stamina to refill on the other?

turnbuckle

You pretty much nailed it, haha.

Ahh, lol, wasn't sure if there was some way to share the spoils from one account to the other!

Zero_IYAD said:
Welcome
I call dibs for your rank 20 friend single roll :D

Haha, well, I might give it to nicoga3000 simply for putting together the Secret Santa. Unless there's someone else that hasn't given their gift yet and wants to exchange with me once I get to that level :p

turnbuckle

Also, I didn't realize you could move diagonally. I thought I might have accidentally done that a few times but whenever I tried intentionally doing it it failed. Then one time it worked.

Damn, I wish it was easier to control. Perhaps this is reason enough for me to get a Galaxy Note 3 or 4 or whatever when it comes out if it still has a stylus. I could imagine a stylus on this game would be very helpful as sometimes my fingers do stupid things I don't want them to and my fingers/hand can get in the way of my screen when I'm moving frantically trying to set up an ULTRA COMBO

Before I re-roll again, am I understanding you correctly that I'll get another re-roll after a few levels? Is it forced like the first one in the tutorial, is it a reward on its own, or do I have to choose to spend 5 magic stones to get that pull? The only time I played to level 20 or so I don't remember getting a second rare monster roll and I used my stones for increasing my monster box capacity. I quickly ran into a wall where I didn't have enough coins to level up my team, didn't have enough space for my monsters, and hated the thought of selling the ones I collected for chump change.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Also, I didn't realize you could move diagonally. I thought I might have accidentally done that a few times but whenever I tried intentionally doing it it failed. Then one time it worked.

Damn, I wish it was easier to control. Perhaps this is reason enough for me to get a Galaxy Note 3 or 4 or whatever when it comes out if it still has a stylus. I could imagine a stylus on this game would be very helpful as sometimes my fingers do stupid things I don't want them to and my fingers/hand can get in the way of my screen when I'm moving frantically trying to set up an ULTRA COMBO

Before I re-roll again, am I understanding you correctly that I'll get another re-roll after a few levels? Is it forced like the first one in the tutorial, is it a reward on its own, or do I have to choose to spend 5 magic stones to get that pull? The only time I played to level 20 or so I don't remember getting a second rare monster roll and I used my stones for increasing my monster box capacity. I quickly ran into a wall where I didn't have enough coins to level up my team, didn't have enough space for my monsters, and hated the thought of selling the ones I collected for chump change.

3 things!

- Diagonal moves are unreliable. Be careful with how often you rely on them!
- I THINK you get a second roll (with stones you earn) really early on after the tutorial, but I don't remember.
- Give your gift to someone else. :) The chances that I'll get the light or dark starter aren't very good, and they're the only two monsters I'd need. If I got one of the other 3, I'd probably just feed them off!

$50 Itunes card for $35.
http://t.co/fTtAK5AByj

Nice - bought 2. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom