• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare PS4/PS3 |OT| Over-Delivering On Value

Durden77

It seemed like everything downloaded and installed fine. It's goinf a bit faster, at 84% now.

Why do PS4 games do this? Say they're installed from the system menu, but then require more installation after starting up the game? It's annoying, trying to play with a friend and I would've started up the game earlier if I knew I had to do this.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I installed from disc. Maybe this is a problem with digital. The store was wonky earlier. I couldn't redeem a code for the game on it and haven't even tried since the 4 times I did earlier. Maybe its related to that somehow? The game is relatively small so I'm surprised at the length of the install times people are having. Did it definitely download completely?

Every game I've had to install up to this point when I bought it digitally was slow as hell. Every single one -- Sony needs to look into that...

Durden77

91%....still very slow. Oh well, at least it's moving now.

Also, my buddy playing right now says there is no party system, is that true? I have this game on the 360, but I always wanted a next gen version of it and everyone was talking about the amazing post launch support so I bought it again, but have they really not added parties?

91%....still very slow. Oh well, at least it's moving now.

Also, my buddy playing right now says there is no party system, is that true? I have this game on the 360, but I always wanted a next gen version of it and everyone was talking about the amazing post launch support so I bought it again, but have they really not added parties?
Nope no party system

VanWinkle

Played a couple more hours of this after work tonight. My goodness, it's just so fun. I love the feel and art style and gameplay. Just so good.

esterk

Just played a few rounds. Holy crap this game is not only fun, it's hilarious. I'll have to get some GAF names so we can play together!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, we're all totally cool with EA completely inundating this game with ads for Cheetos, AquaFina flavored corn syrup drinks and god knows what else in the future? Even though this is a $40 game?

Personally, I think it's fucking disgusting. Especially seeing how these ads are masked as functional upgrades. How cynical can this shit get?

With this amount of integrated and permeating ad garbage this game should be completely free.

Or at least have the $40 premium version not have this crap in it.

VanWinkle

So, we're all totally cool with EA completely inundating this game with ads for Cheetos, AquaFina flavored corn syrup drinks and god knows what else in the future? Even though this is a $40 game?

Personally, I think it's fucking disgusting. Especially seeing how these ads are masked as functional upgrades. How cynical can this shit get?

With this amount of integrated and permeating ad garbage this game should be completely free.

Wait, what? I have never seen any ads. I saw a couple of really nice sticker packs that said "brought to you by [insert company here]" which I thought was really cool because we got the pack free. And after I redeemed those I never saw any again. Like, I don't know why you would complain against getting a couple of sticker packs at no cost. Otherwise, I haven't seen any actual ads whatsoever.

I'm very confused by your post.

-MD-

I can't tell if you're for real or not.

vypek

I haven't seen any "inundation" at all. I haven't actually seen any Cheetos gear and I'm not sure what the aquafina thing is referencing. I don't see why they would give a game out for free especially since DLC is free. They'd be losing money. I'm not sure how it makes sense to give the game out for free. But I am surprised to hear that the skins available from Cheetos is actually functionally an upgarde.

But if the "ads" mean more money for Popcap and more free DLC to keep player base active then I'm completely okay with it. But seriously, the part about being inundated with ads is completely false.

krpiper

EA fucks up sometimes and does anti consumer things sometime. (The NHL thing), but at the same time they do some neat things. Such as free games on origin and the 72 hour trial thing, which for the record got me to buy this game.

This game should of been a simple cash grab that no one here should be discussing. But it's a awesome fun third person shooter. I'm blown away with how much fun I am having. With free DLC I hope this game stays around for a long while

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wait, what? I have never seen any ads. I saw a couple of really nice sticker packs that said "brought to you by [insert company here]" which I thought was really cool because we got the pack free. And after I redeemed those I never saw any again. Like, I don't know why you would complain against getting a couple of sticker packs at no cost. Otherwise, I haven't seen any actual ads whatsoever.

I'm very confused by your post.

The sticker packs unlock characters that are ads for the product.

So far I've seen a ton of Chester Cheetahs running around in my game, AquaFina (c) Refreshment Fountains to give you health and AquaFina (c) Berry Fruit Blast plants squirting you with AquaFina (c) juice.

There's no way to disable this. I didn't pay $40 for the Chester Cheetah vs AquaFina (c) cynical ad brawl.

Pastry

Banned

So far I've seen a ton of Chester Cheetahs running around in my game, AquaFina (c) Refreshment Fountains to give you health and AquaFina (c) Berry Fruit Blast plants squirting you with AquaFina (c) juice.

There's no way to disable this. I didn't pay $40 for the Chester Cheetah vs AquaFina (c) cynical ad brawl.

Play classic mode and you don't have to see a thing. Problem solved, you welcome.

VanWinkle

I haven't seen those a single time so I don't think it's remotely like the "ton of" that you're talking about.

I know this game is new to the PS4 but there is a reason this game has been getting free dlc since it has been released on the other platforms. Here is a suggestion...
b25.gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Play classic mode and you don't have to see a thing. Problem solved, you welcome.

So the solution is to play the game where you can't customize your character at all or use unlocked characters?

Cut out 90% of the content in the game I paid $40 for or deal with Cheetos ads running around everywhere?

If I had any idea this was the case I never would have bought the game.

Pastry

Banned
So the solution is to play the game where you can't customize your character at all or use unlocked characters?

Cut out 90% of the content in the game I paid $40 for or deal with Cheetos ads running around everywhere?

How is a cheetah any more ridiculous than any other customization in the game? Just act like it has nothing to do with Cheetos and it's just a dude in cheetah gear. I really don't get the problem man.

krpiper

Ads have been in games for a long time. Verizon in Alan wake. Pizza Hut in ninja turtles. Various businesses in crazy taxi. I dont see what the big deal is.

vypek

Again, I'm not seeing people who bought the cheetos gear at all. Maybe just ignore it. Or since you are so aware...dont buy cheetos or aquafina? idk. doesn't seem like its a huge thing since there is free content being given out.

You seem a bit too cheesed off about this.

It's not worth getting all Flaming Hot over.

VanWinkle

How is a cheetah any more ridiculous than any other customization in the game? Just act like it has nothing to do with Cheetos and it's just a dude in cheetah gear. I really don't get the problem man.

Seriously, I haven't seen this cheetah character customization, but even still, it's just another customization. It's not shoving the brand down my throat, and the amount of people using that skin will naturally cut down dramatically as time goes on.

I hope you complained and wished Mario Kart 8 was subsidized with the Mercedes partnership.

Or every other sports game ever filled with ads.

Or any racing game featuring real life auto corporations cars and ads and their sponsors.

Or the original Crazy Taxi games featuring KFC, Pizza Hut, FILA, etc..

Or The duracell batteries in Pikmin

Or The Metal Geat Solid series

Or the Yakuza series

The list goes on and on. No but THIS time ads and corporate inclusion is disgusting and cynical right? None of the listed games/series should have been sold their full MSRP right? Hell, they should have been free! I also hope you're demanding lower prices for your movie tickets the moment product placement appears. Also, stay away from cable and hulu, I hear they have ads even after you pay for them.

lol. what a joke of a reason to get riled up over something that has been in gaming since the 8-bit days.

-MD-

Sell your copy then and quit bitching.

SilentFlyer

Can anyone from EU/UK can tell if the pre-loading is started? I've been charged for the game but still not able to pre-load.

...It's a character skin. You're acting like anyone who uses those skins ends up shooting cheetos at the enemies and Chester Cheetah comes out in front of your screen and advertises his snacks. it's not that bad.

Can anyone from EU/UK can tell if the pre-loading is started? I've been charged for the game but still not able to pre-load.

can`t download either. I bought it on the german playstation store website but the game isnt on the PSN and i get a download error. I think they update the store today and then it will start the download.

Vestax

Banned

I kind of look at it as Aquafina and Cheetos approaching the developer and asking them to make these character. It's not an act if kindness, but business. Sure, if I can get free DLCs without a gimped Coins systems by having endorsed characters, I'm ok with it. They actually add to the game, instead of taking away. It's brilliant.

Others should learn from this...

Anyone tried Remote Play? Do the controls get remapped for Vita?
L2 is used on the front screen and R2 is used on the rear touchpad, if I remember correctly.

Just sell it if you can't enjoy the fun mechanics of the game because of some ads that no one but you is actually seeing as inundating.

Loomba

What are the psn preorders we are supposed to get? The fat princess hat and what else?

And have they fixed them so they appear in game yet?

M_A_C

Anybody compair the ps4 version with the PC? I'm thinking of double dipping cause the game is so fun.

Durden77

Damn, you can't play boss mode with the companion app unless you have a 8" tablet? That sucks. Wanted to help people out from my bed.

Love the game, wway cooler than the first few weeks on the 360, but I think it's kind of nuts there's still no party system.

Occam

@FlyinJ

I agree with you, this rubs me the wrong way, which is why I am not buying it.
Nearly full price but has built-in expiration date (no offline mode), in-game ads, lots of cool stuff locked behind optional micro-transactions.

I would be ok with an all-in-one package (no micro-transactions) with offline mode and paid DLC. This is yet another attempt at trying to turn a product into something it is not: A service.

This is a direction into which I am not willing to go. I don't care how much fun it is, I am not supporting this BS.

-MD-

in-game ads

The only "ad" is the DLC billboard on the main menu showing you the newest content and game modes

lots of cool stuff locked behind optional micro-transactions.

Nothing is "locked" behind a paywall, everything you can buy with real money you can earn easily by simply playing the game.

I would be ok with an all-in-one package (no micro-transactions) with offline mode and paid DLC.

To split the community and make it unfair to everyone that doesn't cough up money for new characters? That bullshit model is hopefully out the door for future multiplayer games because it sucks.

-MD-

You forgot to address the most important point:

-built-in expiration date (no offline mode)

And yet the archaic model you desire of having paid DLC would be the absolute quickest way to killing a niche multiplayer only game.

Who's the healer on the Zombie side?
Thought I remember hearing the Zombies were overpowered when this first released but of the 10 or so games I played the Plants have won about 8 of them.

Top Bottom