• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare PS4/PS3 |OT| Over-Delivering On Value

Sent out friend requests to the psn names in this thread. Hopefully match making isn't far off/took about 5 server switches to get one person on the same server last night ...on the wrong team. Luckily switching teams right at the start of a new round seems to work pretty easily.

Varg

Banned
Game looks sharper then my xbone version for sure. Unacceptable that I can't create a party before entering a game. That alone held three of my friends from picking it up last night. They Instead bought Diablo. The game is great fun bit they really dropped the ball with that.

Now I gotta find those bag of cheetos after work lol. Want those skins.

Liberty4all

Banned
I played for a couple of hours last night. Great mindless fun ... the collectable aspect awoke a raging fire I haven't felt since my MTG days.

I'm also happy about the very unobtrusive advertising since it appears this means all the DLC is free and (I hope) will remains so. I personally really like how they handled it.

LtOrange

It's gonna be a bitch trying to get 3 of my friends into a party tonight, how could they leave out something as important as a party system?

It would be awesome if we could just get confirmation that it is coming. I would love to get some GAF games going, but it is such a headache to group up at the moment.

What sticker packs do you guys end up saving up for? There are so many options to choose from!

-MD-

It's gonna be a bitch trying to get 3 of my friends into a party tonight, how could they leave out something as important as a party system?

I play with a group of 4 on the PC version and we just say the team we're gonna be on and we all pick it at the start of the round. It'll be near impossible to do if there isn't some kind of group chat though, dunno if consoles have that.

really fun, played a bit yesterday. i like the all star zombie and the biting flower only complaints is that i cant sprint and the long minute it takes for the next match

Never got to play yesterday, damn game was installing for 3 hours and it only made it to 85%. Like.. what the hell? What an absurd install time, let alone process. It's baffling.

Never got to play yesterday, damn game was installing for 3 hours and it only made it to 85%. Like.. what the hell? What an absurd install time, let alone process. It's baffling.

It's not installing, it's actually still downloading. If you press options on the PvZ tile on the dashboard then information you can see the full install size (14GB in this case). You're allowed play some mode after 3.2GB though. It's worded badly

?

You mean like a sprint button in general? Certain classes (peashooter, scientist, soldier, engineer) have abilities that make them go faster or move across the map quickly.
true, is the "one speed" pace of the game that bothers me. cant believe im saying this but maybe i got spoiled of the marathoners shooters lol

oh yes, i had to redownload the game because it locked to euro release time and that 96% took enough time to finish the last level of TLOUR in hard.

still good time with the game though just little nitpicks

i still can`t preload this game on the german PSN . Its not even in the PSN Store... but they charged me anyway :D atleast i can see it in the Library with a countdown.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I plan on tracking down a bag of Cheetos with the character dlc, as I'll probably be rebuying this soon. Such a great game!

-MD-

It's there any sort of tutorial? I jumped in a game of Garden Ops and it felt kind of overwhelming.

Nah, you'll learn quickly by just playing the game.

Garden Ops is just horde mode. Find a spot on the map you like and place your garden, you can place consumable plants around your garden (think tower defense turrets) & waves of zombies will attack you and your garden. You're trying to survive for 10 waves.

Cubed

So what, exactly, can you do "offline" (I think you always need to be connected, but can play this in non-competitive modes)?

I looked online but haven't received a clear answer... plus that info was for the XB1 version and I wondered if anything changed for the PS4 version.

Mindlog

No in-depth tutorial, but feel free to ask any questions.

Gardens and Graveyards is a series of capture points that zombies must take from the plants within the given timer. The last capture point usually has an objective.

Here's the obvious stuff.

As a plant the general rule is to keep zombies out of the capture zone and keep the zombie teleporter out of action. Peas are very prevalent and as a cactus using your drone to keep their teleporter down is not a bad move. Chompers can work, but you have to be pretty good. Chompula/Fire can keep up with the top of the leaderboard with good tactics. Sunflowers are nice, but they don't do enough damage to really contribute in my eyes.

As a zombie getting the teleporter up is a huge bonus for your team. If drones are harassing you and the team isn't helping then going mechanic engineer can be a game changer. If you have any rapid fire weapon always take the opportunity to down those garlic drones. Every zombie class can be very strong. Try to follow teammates into capture circles, but watch out for bean bombs.

Running up your vanquish streak is an easy way to rack up an enormous coin bank. Hello, Camo Cactus. Hello, Plumber. Super Commando how are you not nerfed yet?

*lol I'll edit this again later.

So what, exactly, can you do "offline" (I think you always need to be connected, but can play this in non-competitive modes)?

I looked online but haven't received a clear answer... plus that info was for the XB1 version and I wondered if anything changed for the PS4 version.

Nothing

vypek

Garden Ops is a series of capture points that zombies must take from the plants within the given timer. The last capture point usually has an objective.

I think you're thinking of gardens and graveyards. Garden Ops is the horde mode

EDIT: nevermind, you caught it already as I was typing this.

sca2511

This needing to be online to startup the game thing is stupid. Brought my PS4 to my cousin's place (she has finicky internet) and I can't redeem the free stickers since it can't connect to the servers.

Cynn

On the X1 it auto invites people in your Xbox Party to the game when one member starts it. There's no lobby per-say but parties join together. Is the PS4 one not the same way? I was thinking of double dipping (yes the game is that good) to play with PSN friends.

Are people using PSN parties as they play?

VanWinkle

How come that Suburbination DLC is not on here? I think it came to the Xbox (and presumably PC) versions last week. Do we know when it's coming?

Was fun. The Engineers really didn't want me completing their challenge though. I had 2/3 of Chili Bombing them and they didn't let me get the last one :(

That was really fun! I hope we can play again sometime.

I feel your pain, I'm stuck on "beam 3 Scientists" right now with the Sunflower.

Darknight

This game looks great. Will buy in the near future!!

Anyways by then maybe the party system is fixed and will improve like BF4 did over time!

vypek

No one's streaming or got more screen grabs? This must have sold 2 copies on PS4.

I had a really fun moment in the game where I managed to get a streak of kills through a "corn strike," more than I had ever managed before. It was just such a lucky moment with the attack that I saved it. I'm going to post a "webm" link that I think will work. As for screenshots, I don't have any right now expect for my record vanquish kills but I don't think its worth posting (and the other one is one where someone took 5 of the 6 accolades at the end of the match). I have actually saved quite a few of the videos of matches though. Such a fun game

http://webmup.com/XNcTb/

EDIT: Was going to use a GIF but it just wasn't working so I went with webm

Is there a "best" card pack to buy? The 40k one is nice if I just want a character, but are the others also good? It sucks buying the 40k one and getting a character for a class I don't prefer.

vypek

Is there a "best" card pack to buy? The 40k one is nice if I just want a character, but are the others also good? It sucks buying the 40k one and getting a character for a class I don't prefer.

Personally, I've been spending my coins on getting the cheapest card pack. I'm aiming for challenge skipping stars to use on tougher challenges that I won't be able to finish easily. The 5K pack doesn't seem to great to me so far. Eventually I plan to unlock all characters so thats when I will buy the 40K pack. I haven't tried the 20K packs at all yet.

TL;DR: The "best" pack is probably dependent on what you are planning to do. You can keep getting the 40K and hope for a character you use. Doesn't take too long to get, especially if you play gardens and graveyards.

Personally, I've been spending my coins on getting the cheapest card pack. I'm aiming for challenge skipping stars to use on tougher challenges that I won't be able to finish easily. The 5K pack doesn't seem to great to me so far. Eventually I plan to unlock all characters so thats when I will buy the 40K pack. I haven't tried the 20K packs at all yet.

TL;DR: The "best" pack is probably dependent on what you are planning to do. You can keep getting the 40K and hope for a character you use. Doesn't take too long to get, especially if you play gardens and graveyards.

I didn't know skipping stars were in the 1k pack. I might have to get some of those, especially for the class-specific challenges.

vypek

I didn't know skipping stars were in the 1k pack. I might have to get some of those, especially for the class-specific challenges.

Yeah, don't expect them every time though. At the end of each round I just buy the most 1K packs I can in the amount of time in the break. I probably have about 6 or 7 stocked up right now and the trophy for 10 popped up earlier today so I have gotten a fair amount of challenge skips. Probably going to use them to help a character along to level 10

sturmdogg

New to the game, only had 3 hours or so of gameplay.

So I unlocked the 3 abilities of the soldier zombie. Do I get any additional upgrades to their abilities?

-MD-

New to the game, only had 3 hours or so of gameplay.

So I unlocked the 3 abilities of the soldier zombie. Do I get any additional upgrades to their abilities?

Each ability has an alternate ability.

Like your soldier's single rocket jump can be traded for 2 rocket leaps which launches your character forward rather than straight up in the air.

Top Bottom