• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare PS4/PS3 |OT| Over-Delivering On Value

Is there anything an All-Star can do against Chomper's goop? I really enjoy playing him otherwise, but if the opponent has 4-5 chompers he can't do anything.

Are you sure? I earn the most coins in gardens and graveyards but the matches are way longer than team vanquish. I feel like they're probably pretty equal in terms of coins per minute but maybe that's not the case.

Coins per minute is one of the things it shows in the post-round stats (L1 from the player list).

You could try a few and see just how many CPM you are getting for both.

Checked it out for the first time earlier today.
It was decent fun. It truly was. However as a 40 year old, I truly felt awkward playing it.
No shit the voices I was hearing over the mics were no older than 15 years old, and honestly they sounded closer to 10 years old. It was seriously young kids. Very young.
And I did check out 3 servers just to see. and the results were the same.

Could it have just been the fact I was being forced to play the Welcome game? Sure, no doubt about it I imagine.

Now I am very much aware of the fact this same kids play other online games and I very well will encounter them in those as well, but truth be told I really do not think I am hearing the same voices while playing The Last Of Us MP for example. At least I hope I would not.

So yeah, perhaps it is just me being dumb about it all, but honestly I felt as if I had no place playing the game because of how young these kids were. Obviously the more playful feel of the game did not help matters at all.

So while I think it is a game that would be damn fun to play, I just feel wrong doing so.
And please do not take offense if you are older and enjoy playing the game. As I said I could see it being incredibly fun. I just felt like some old man at Chuck E Cheese with a 12 year olds party going down at the same time.

Honestly, just mute them. PC's somewhat similar, and the thing that actually bothered me way more than the kids was when some older dude would randomly swear because they got killed, and I'd think "whoa whoa whoa, language, man!" even though in 90% of shooters, that's the norm and would totally be okay.

I actually like that there are kids playing the game. Even if I never talk to anyone on voice chat, I feel like somehow it makes the game kinder and gentler than your usual shooter.

-MD-

And play against mouse users? I'd imagine that's not a good time.

I'm sure the auto-aim is insane on a controller. Never tried it myself but watched a couple videos and it seemed like just aiming in someone's general direction landed a healthy number of crits.

nullpoynter

I'm sure the auto-aim is insane on a controller. Never tried it myself but watched a couple videos and it seemed like just aiming in someone's general direction landed a healthy number of crits.

I've been doing much better after turning off the auto-aim.

vypek

Is there anything an All-Star can do against Chomper's goop? I really enjoy playing him otherwise, but if the opponent has 4-5 chompers he can't do anything.

You could try a few and see just how many CPM you are getting for both.

No one can do anything to counteract the goop. Its sort of a balancing thing to make up for Chomper being a super close range character only. Just do your best to fire and take out the attacker

Mine01

Man im buying this on PC, it's awesome! and i'm sure i'll double dip once i get a ps4, if the comunity is still around ofc.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
DAT Vanquish Streak!

w7NpbOil.jpg

Foot-Soldier!

M_A_C

DAT Vanquish Streak!

w7NpbOil.jpg

Foot-Soldier!

Damn! how's that even possible? Full game, and what mode?

So I've been playing both PC and PS4 both trying to compair the graphics. It's hard because you can't pick the level you play on.

Anyways, I think that indeed the PS4 version might have slightly better lighting, shadows, and fog effects. Anyone else notice this?

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, brand new on PS4.

Wow, this game is awesome! Seriously!

Just one question, which packs should I be buying? I have no interest in consumables. Dont see myself playing the horde mode too much.

-MD-

Hey guys, brand new on PS4.

Wow, this game is awesome! Seriously!

Just one question, which packs should I be buying? I have no interest in consumables. Dont see myself playing the horde mode too much.

You use the consumables in the multiplayer modes too. Just stick to the 20-30k packs.

Mine01

Man i was playing some TDM and some guy named Something_BossMode was oneshotting everyone as a fire sunflower. The next game he was oneshotting everyone as a foot soldier. I know it because he one-shotted me like 3 times full hp with normal bullets. It's that possible? was he hacking? This on pc.

GraveRobberX

Garden & Graveyards mode, Vanilla Zombie Foot-Soldier, full 5 Garden rotation on Cactus Canyon at night

I played as a mid player, I used Rocket Jump to my advantage and always took high ground
Perched myself on certain areas where you have perfect line of sight, while the plants will have stuff in there way

The map was the Golf Ball one at the end, first area you can jump up very high on the rocks, then move over to the crash landed parts that overlook the Plants Garden (+5 Kills)
2nd area I stayed back behind the trailers and moved slowly up, kept using my grenade and looking for easy kills for my RPG (+4, 9 kills now)
3rd area, the housing area, I stay on the 2nd floor/roof teleport area, this is where you gain most of your kills (+13 Kills, now 22 Kill Streak, got killed by a Chomper, sometimes the game doesn't show the burrow animation, which sucked), so I was 22-0 here, went another +7, for 29
Next area is the hotel lobby/pool area, I got 4 kills, no place safe, to much squeezing, have to eat a lot of deaths, too many alleys, not many perches
Died a lot here, but it was due to capturing the damn Garden
Last was the Golf area, got 10 kills here due to the clusterfuck this area is
Just nades/rocket launchers for days

The way you play foot-soldier is to always line up your cross hairs, if it goes red for more than 2 seconds and enemy there, shoot rocket, insta-kill (one shot 250 damage)
Also splash damage to anyone nearby
Lob grenades to smokescreen garden always, but sometimes doing it front of you, helps out immensely, cause enemies shoot through the cloud, giving away there positions to teammates, while your off to the side, healing up
You always want to be on higher ground always, don't stand out in the middle, but off to the side, picking and choosing right opportunities for assists and kills

Welp holy shit just completed Crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy! solo, that was fucking intense
Used so many different potted plants, those bubble shrooms and bamboo mortar guys helped out so fucking much
Got my Gold Trophy!
That Sharkbite Shores map and that arch was a goddamn life savior
Even when boss wave came, I got lucky with one boss (Yeti), then last wave was Gargantuan and Disco
Disco killed me once, but survived it
Once the escape 11th wave came, got wrecked with FootSoldier who hopped onto the arch and backstab killed me
1 revive ticket left, 40 seconds to go, made my escape using sprint, half to the boardwalk let my chilli bomb go to make the enemies chase it, by the time I got crazy dave's van was 11 seconds, potted a sunflower with 23 health, sprint was back up and just did circles till I escaped!

I'm really, really impressed with this game on PS4. When it first came out on 360/XBONE I damn near bought a One just to play it.

It is so much fun. As one of the many people who has played a fuckton of PvZ and PvZ2 on iOS it is really awesome to see all the plants and zombies rendered with such care.

I started out playing a lot of multiplayer but I'm way into Garden Ops right now. I had to stop playing multi (mostly Team Vanquish) because I was just getting destroyed. But after played a ton of Garden Ops I came back to TV and am doing really well not.

I like the Scientist in multi, but it took me quite awhile to realize that the Goo Blaster is more of a shotgun. I've been cleaning up with that thing lately. Still not a good weapon though.

vypek

DAT Vanquish Streak!

w7NpbOil.jpg

Foot-Soldier!

Wow, thats really impressive. Best streak I've had is 17 and highest number of vanquishes was 41. Really awesome :) Congrats.

Man i was playing some TDM and some guy named Something_BossMode was oneshotting everyone as a fire sunflower. The next game he was oneshotting everyone as a foot soldier. I know it because he one-shotted me like 3 times full hp with normal bullets. It's that possible? was he hacking? This on pc.

Sounds like it would be hacking. There is no variant of a class that can one shot anything from full health to death (at least not with normal bullets).

Welp holy shit just completed Crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy! solo, that was fucking intense
Used so many different potted plants, those bubble shrooms and bamboo mortar guys helped out so fucking much
Got my Gold Trophy!
That Sharkbite Shores map and that arch was a goddamn life savior
Even when boss wave came, I got lucky with one boss (Yeti), then last wave was Gargantuan and Disco
Disco killed me once, but survived it
Once the escape 11th wave came, got wrecked with FootSoldier who hopped onto the arch and backstab killed me
1 revive ticket left, 40 seconds to go, made my escape using sprint, half to the boardwalk let my chilli bomb go to make the enemies chase it, by the time I got crazy dave's van was 11 seconds, potted a sunflower with 23 health, sprint was back up and just did circles till I escaped!

Damn you! I'm soooooo jealous. I can't beat that mode to save my life. :( I've been trying and trying but just cant do it. I turned off the game for the night because I was burned out and getting frustrated after so many attempts. I want that gold trophy so much. lol. So jealous. Good job :)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

It's really not. I just rebought the game tonight (and found some Cheetos with the code), and I'm not noticing much auto aim at all.

vypek

I assume there are more enemies in Garden Ops if there are more players playing, is this correct?

I haven't counted exactly (I might tomorrow) but I feel the number is the same.

It's really not. I just rebought the game tonight (and found some Cheetos with the code), and I'm not noticing much auto aim at all.

Yeah, there isn't much there. The default is set to "light" aim assist with alternates of "heavy" and "off"

I haven't counted exactly (I might tomorrow) but I feel the number is the same.

So why are you guys doing Crazy and trying to get Super Bosses by yourselves? I am sure 3 other people, even if they are bad, are better than solo. Although I did have one guy get 11 kills in Garden Ops and die at least once a round.

GraveRobberX

Wow, thats really impressive. Best streak I've had is 17 and highest number of vanquishes was 41. Really awesome :) Congrats.

Heh I didn't even notice till now I had 29 assists, so I was really honed in, lost so many kills due to Foot-Soldier bullets really taking awhile to defeat an enemy
I was 2 shy from getting the Vanquish medal, but lost it by 1 to other team top player

Damn you! I'm soooooo jealous. I can't beat that mode to save my life. :( I've been trying and trying but just cant do it. I turned off the game for the night because I was burned out and getting frustrated after so many attempts. I want that gold trophy so much. lol. So jealous. Good job :)

Just do it on the shark map
Go to the left most Garden, there should be an arch
Be any Peashooter (I use berry for splash damage, also have 3 upgraded abilities for it)
Have a fuckton of cards for potted plants
Use Gattling cannon pots, you will be burning roughly 30+
I had 5, then used everything in my arsenal to help me out
The bamboo mortars, small shrooms, bubble/green around garden
Just keep a fuck ton of offensive plants to help you out
Save one pot that is stuck near a rock right underneath the archway, if you are looking at the Garden, use this for Sunflower, it will die quickly, but it will help heal you to 125 every round, even if you get damaged early, can jump down grab health, jump back up
You have to learn to jump on that archway from the left side using your sprint button, the arch has a dip on left side you can climb up (near the mountain side, not beach side)

Now just survive 11 waves, have at least 2 tickets saved for 11th round
You can die once only in the first 10 rounds
Just kill some zombies before they even reach the arch every wave to thin them out
Then let the potted plants do work, while you flip and watch the garden, try to kill everything ASAP
Use your gatling gun only if no enemies that can shoot back at you, cause you will be a sitting duck
Chilli bomb always use at the first zombies that come on the wave, lob it in their direction they coming, will take out 4-6+
By the time it refreshes should 50% wave done, lob into Garden cause enemies already there chewing
If you got 2-3 left, save next bomb for, next wave, repeat, each wave you should lob at least 2, the longer waves like 8,9 3, last wave, 4-6+ if you fucked on the roll

statham

so glad playstation fans are enjoying it, its my most played game on XB1, Diablo may beat it. Not going to give any advice other then the engineer may seem weak at first but can easily change the battle. you want atleast one on your team. and kontrolfreeks works great with the cactus and jetpack zombie.

vypek

So why are you guys doing Crazy and trying to get Super Bosses by yourselves? I am sure 3 other people, even if they are bad, are better than solo. Although I did have one guy get 11 kills in Garden Ops and die at least once a round.

Its honestly probably doable on easy mode. Especially with self revive and team retry cards. I ended up beating a super boss wave with 3 other random players on hard mode. Took us two tries to do it. And then we escaped on the round after.

Just do it on the shark map
Go to the left most Garden, there should be an arch
Be any Peashooter (I use berry for splash damage, also have 3 upgraded abilities for it)
Have a fuckton of cards for potted plants
Use Gattling cannon pots, you will be burning roughly 30+
I had 5, then used everything in my arsenal to help me out
The bamboo mortars, small shrooms, bubble/green around garden
Just keep a fuck ton of offensive plants to help you out
Save one pot that is stuck near a rock right underneath the archway, if you are looking at the Garden, use this for Sunflower, it will die quickly, but it will help heal you to 125 every round, even if you get damaged early, can jump down grab health, jump back up
You have to learn to jump on that archway from the left side using your sprint button, the arch has a dip on left side you can climb up (near the mountain side, not beach side)

Now just survive 11 waves, have at least 2 tickets saved for 11th round
You can die once only in the first 10 rounds
Just kill some zombies before they even reach the arch every wave to thin them out
Then let the potted plants do work, while you flip and watch the garden, try to kill everything ASAP
Use your gatling gun only if no enemies that can shoot back at you, cause you will be a sitting duck
Chilli bomb always use at the first zombies that come on the wave, lob it in their direction they coming, will take out 4-6+
By the time it refreshes should 50% wave done, lob into Garden cause enemies already there chewing
If you got 2-3 left, save next bomb for, next wave, repeat, each wave you should lob at least 2, the longer waves like 8,9 3, last wave, 4-6+ if you fucked on the roll

Thanks. I'll try this stuff out with some people tomorrow when I play again. Really want to finish off crazy mode.

Mindlog

DAT Vanquish Streak!
http://i.imgur.com/w7NpbOil.jpg
Foot-Soldier!
Very nice for a regular Foot Soldier :] CPM seems kind of low for that many kills. Weird.
Do you have the Super Commando already? Easy mode streaking. I've been using all my neglected classes lately and running up the score with the Tank Commander is fun. That character was underwhelming last time I used it, but this time I'm left wondering why I haven't used it more. 70 Damage on a direct hit will kill almost everything in two shots tops plus it's fun lobbing long range shells.

Also grats on the Crazy extraction. I forgot the whole team needs to extract and that's why I did it solo. That extraction is tricky.
I assume there are more enemies in Garden Ops if there are more players playing, is this correct?
I want to say zombies also have more health and do more damage. Potted plants die very quickly with a full team, but hold their own when playing solo. There's definitely some degree of scaling.

Hmm this game does look interesting enough for me, but I just bought D3 last week, dunno if I can play PvZ GW as well. I'm not really into MP games except for ME3 MP, but it seems like everyone here is enjoying the game.

Also, 40 USD to me is expensive for MP only game, but I also don't wanna wait for too long just because I want cheaper price.

I'm 1-click away from getting it for my PS4. convince me GAF

madmackem

So I've been playing both PC and PS4 both trying to compair the graphics. It's hard because you can't pick the level you play on.

Anyways, I think that indeed the PS4 version might have slightly better lighting, shadows, and fog effects. Anyone else notice this?

Yes I'm swapping between xbox one and ps4 and the lighting and fog smoke effects are very different and look way better on ps4 seems they did more to this version than a straight port.

-MD-

Can anyone here make a comparison shot or video of the PS4 and PC versions? Makes no sense for PS4 to look better than PC.

p3tran

Banned

I think its better to enjoy this joyful game by -you know- playing it, rather than trying to find the ....advantages ps4 version has over other versions. and pro-tip, you can ramp up the resolution on pc, making it look much better than consoles, if thats your thing.

One thing I really like is that at the end of the match leaderboards are not showing KDR stats.
Just points, kills and badges for most kills/revives/assits/etc. Seems like majority of players is focused on winning, getting points and more importantly having fun.

It's relaxing coming from COD and TLOU MP where everyone(me included) cares about preserving their own KDR stats. Also no rage quitters, yeah I'm looking at you TLOU....

So now when I play Gardens&Graveyards if time is running out I charge in and take one for the team. I'd never do something like this in COD.

M_A_C

Yes I'm swapping between xbox one and ps4 and the lighting and fog smoke effects are very different and look way better on ps4 seems they did more to this version than a straight port.

Thats what I'm thinking. PC may be a straight port of the Xbone version, not sure.

I think its better to enjoy this joyful game by -you know- playing it, rather than trying to find the ....advantages ps4 version has over other versions. and pro-tip, you can ramp up the resolution on pc, making it look much better than consoles, if thats your thing.

I am... One of the most fun games I've played in a while.

I was just surprised when I saw how good the PS4 version looked. There's no real comparisons out there and I always find them interesting.

I have a monster rig, with a 780ti so yeah, I've noticed that you can change the resolution on PCs. Thanks for the pro-tip.

lol ramping up the resolution wont make the lighting, fog etc. look better.... thats not how resolutions work ;)

you could play on 10000X whatever , if you play an 8bit game it still wont look like the Last of Us....

Also, 40 USD to me is expensive for MP only game, but I also don't wanna wait for too long just because I want cheaper price.

I'm 1-click away from getting it for my PS4. convince me GAF

it doesnt matter if its only multiplayer as long as you get alot of fun hours out of it. I`m still playing Fifa 12 for example . I payed 50 € back then but i got so many great hours out of it i wouldnt mind to pay 100! as long as you have fun and play it for many hours.

i payed 60€ for Watchdogs finished the game and didnt touch it for about 2 months now... fun game but at the end not worth 60€ because it doesnt have a replay value for me!

Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare is a lot of fun. I would play it right now if PSN wouldnt be down :/.

i payed 60€ for Watchdogs finished the game and didnt touch it for about 2 months now... fun game but at the end not worth 60€ because it doesnt have a replay value for me!

New patch came out that gives you ''side missions reset option''. You can now replay all gang hideouts and convoys any time you want.

Mine01

The game is awesome and its 18$ on the mexican origin store, while it's 35$ on ps4/one.
I might double dip on ps4 once i have one tou.

Mindlog

20-0 Winning as zombies was just above 1200 CPM.

Small issue that would be nice to see addressed. I spend a lot of time at half health since that's where your regen lands. This means that most of the game I have a very faint red outline on my screen. It's not a big problem, but can get a bit grating. Maybe at half health your health numbers glow instead of the whole screen.
So now when I play Gardens&Graveyards if time is running out I charge in and take one for the team. I'd never do something like this in COD.
I like running to all the dirt mounds and spawning outhouse, coffin and barrel zombies.
In G&G some Chompers will get overconfident once they goop you and you can shoot them down before they close the deal.

Ziffles

I am... One of the most fun games I've played in a while.

I was just surprised when I saw how good the PS4 version looked. There's no real comparisons out there and I always find them interesting.

I have a monster rig, with a 780ti so yeah, I've noticed that you can change the resolution on PCs. Thanks for the pro-tip.

Check your settings too. You can probably ramp up all details to ultra no problem. I wonder if that has anything to do with the detail contrast.

Finally got the mega heal bomb I was trying to find. Now that I have it, it makes being the Scientist a lot more useful. When capturing a garden, I just throw it in the middle and it heals everyone. I really wish people wouldn't run away from it, when I throw it. It's like they think I'm trying to kill them with it, lol. I didn't really like the Scientists sticky grenades since they did so little damage, so I didn't mind switching it out.

I still haven't gotten many characters, since I was spamming the Zomboss packs looking for the heal bomb. So I'm gonna stick to opening character packs for a while (once PSN comes back online of course). I really need a sunflower character, because I'm not liking the original sunflower.

Ziffles

The only time I've had lag was in Garden ops, but man when it lags it lags. Even on the slowest backwater Russian host on ME3 multiplayer I never got lag as bad as in Garden ops.

Wild guess here but I don't think Frostbite 3 netcode is good at handling laggy listen servers.

I believe they are EA servers, not Sony.

I wonder if they were affected too. But Sony servers could still be the problem because you would then have to be connected to PSN and EA's servers.

The only time I've had lag was in Garden ops, but man when it lags it lags. Even on the slowest backwater Russian host on ME3 multiplayer I never got lag as bad as in Garden ops.

Wild guess here but I don't think Frostbite 3 netcode is good at handling laggy listen servers.

I had one Garden Ops match like that. I joined it and every time I tried to move it would show me moving and then teleport me back to where I was. I had to quit that match.

Top Bottom