• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare PS4/PS3 |OT| Over-Delivering On Value

Damn, I really want this for PS4 but between Diablo and Destiny, there's just not enough time :( Oh well, maybe it will drop in price by the time I'm done with Destiny.

Anyone enjoying this more than Diablo?

Agram

Finally bought the game!

However, when I start it, it shows install progress in upper left corner. Does game download/install that content when PS4 is in standby or it's better to leave the game running?

M_A_C

10575320_10204282751250951_4033676468030784034_o.jpg

10549991_10204282500604685_6135986099733381944_o.jpg

1941596_10204282158196125_5796250664461663399_o.jpg

Some PS4 screens (Taken with share function) of the possibly upgraded fog effects. The more I play the more I think this may be the best looking PS4 game out right now. Especially considering it's a rock solid 1080p 60 fps.

-MD-

Some PS4 screens (Taken with share function) of the possibly upgraded fog effects. The more I play the more I think this may be the best looking PS4 game out right now. Especially considering it's a rock solid 1080p 60 fps.

Tried to mimic your pictures on the PC version. Used Garden Ops to take mine and for whatever reason custom FOV doesn't work on that mode so it's on the default 70.

Fog might look slightly better on the PC shots, also a noticeable difference in foliage. Course your shots are compressed so it's not a perfect comparison.

Gahhhh, seeing these screenshots, and reading these impressions is making me so jealous, lol. I can't wait to play this, but I wanna wait for it top drop to £20. I have too many games that I want this year, and I'm not paying full price for all of them.

cookie_monster_waiting.gif

thinking about buying this game for me and my wife to play and for me to play competitively online. Watched a few people streaming it and it looks really fun.

-MD-

thinking about buying this game for me and my wife to play and for me to play competitively online. Watched a few people streaming it and it looks really fun.

This game is perfect for that, it's not a game where you die instantly so having someone to roam around the map makes the game way more fun and helps immensely.

Especially if one of you is a healer class hanging back not putting yourself in danger, you can do a fast revive on the other person and continue on.

WITHE1982

So fellow gaffers, I'm thinking of picking this up to tide me over until Destiny releases after saturating myself completely with TLOU MP (finally grabbed the skull mask).

Couple of quick questions:

How easy is the local CO-OP mode? I want to play this with my wife and she isn't that great. The only games she plays are Lego titles or Silent Hill/Resident Evil/GTA so nothing too challenging.

How noob friendly is it? I know absolutely nothing about this game and will be starting out completely blind. I realize I'll be killed a lot at first but is the learning curve pretty steep?

-MD-

How easy is the local CO-OP mode? I want to play this with my wife and she isn't that great. The only games she plays are Lego titles or Silent Hill/Resident Evil/GTA so nothing too challenging.

How noob friendly is it? I know absolutely nothing about this game and will be starting out completely blind. I realize I'll be killed a lot at first but is the learning curve pretty steep?

You can play the coop mode on easy or normal which are simple enough (hard / craaazy are also options if you want a challenge). If she can rotate a camera around and aim in something's general direction she'll be fine. You can get by with classes like peashooter and engineer by just shooting the ground around an enemy as they deal splash damage.

Easy enough to pick up and play but the game has lots to offer if you want to invest the time and master it.

WITHE1982

You can play the coop mode on easy or normal which are simple enough (hard / craaazy are also options if you want a challenge). If she can rotate a camera around and aim in something's general direction she'll be fine. You can get by with classes like peashooter and engineer by just shooting the ground around an enemy as they deal splash damage.

Easy enough to pick up and play but the game has lots to offer if you want to invest the time and master it.

Yeah she can just about manage that. I have to look after her a lot when playing any co-op games as she tends to be a bit gung-ho and just runs into battles without any tactical nous at all.

Think I'll 100% be picking this up tonight on my way home. My Destiny LE is already paid for so have a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket, plus I've just watched my first game-play video of PVZ and it looks sooooo much fun.

Any idea if the PSN is back online? I couldn't get on last night due to the outage and haven't tried at all today.

How easy is it to join up with specific friends in a normal multiplayer game?

There is no Party mode yet on PS3/PS4 so it's basically one player joins server and the rest try follow I believe (not played with friends yet). It sucked in BF4 and I'm sure it's gonna suck here if you want to play with more than 1 or 2 friends.

However the Xbox version got support for Parties in an update so hopefully it's on the roadmap for PS updates

-MD-

Yeah she can just about manage that. I tend to have to look after her a lot when playing any co-op games as she tends to be a bit gung-ho and just runs into battles without any tactical nous at all.

Any idea if the PSN is back online? I couldn't get on last night due to the outage and haven't tried at all today.

In the coop mode you'll be defending an area, you guys will want to stay inside that area until the extraction at the end. You totally can venture out though and pick some enemies off if you're into that.

No clue about PSN, I play this on PC.

Enco

Started playing in Game Time on Origin and it's pretty cool.

Not a full price purchase for me though. Got too many games already.

Will be there when there's sale.

Graphics are weird. Some of the models look amazing but the world isn't that great (maxed out + downsampled).

WITHE1982

In the coop mode you'll be defending an area, you guys will want to stay inside that area until the extraction at the end. You totally can venture out though and pick some enemies off if you're into that.

No clue about PSN, I play this on PC.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to this now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Started playing in Game Time on Origin and it's pretty cool.

Not a full price purchase for me though. Got too many games already.

Will be there when there's sale.

Graphics are weird. Some of the models look amazing but the world isn't that great (maxed out + downsampled).
Some of the environment art seems to be inspired by Chuck Jones, which I couldn't be happier about.

thenexus6

I'm trying to get the perfect game trophy on garden ops. Getting to wave nine each time then garden takes a hit. So annoying I can't do it all on my own with mindless teammates not playing very well. Even on easy.

-MD-

I'm trying to get the perfect game trophy on garden ops. Getting to wave nine each time then garden takes a hit. So annoying I can't do it all on my own with mindless teammates not playing very well. Even on easy.

Organize a game with a gaffer or two that knows how to play.

Stoffinator

In your first and last picture. If you go behind the Mansion there is a car in the woods (kind of up on a rock) you can sometimes see Slender Man by the car.

p3tran

Banned
Gahhhh, seeing these screenshots, and reading these impressions is making me so jealous, lol. I can't wait to play this, but I wanna wait for it top drop to £20. I have too many games that I want this year, and I'm not paying full price for all of them.

cookie_monster_waiting.gif

do as you please of course, but the game is DEFINITELY worth the asking price, and more.
on xbone, I played this more than bf4 and ghosts. only titanfall I can put as a better shooter that released, unless you are one of the strictly ...military realistic(y) guys (in which case you only played /tried to play bf)

great artstyle, solid gameplay, great shooting, fun - show me your other shooter where you ...laugh instead of curse when somebody blows you up- and for not even full retail price.

and given it just released on ps4, I think it will take some time to reach your 20$ margin. time better spent playing it! :D

do as you please of course, but the game is DEFINITELY worth the asking price, and more.
on xbone, I played this more than bf4 and ghosts. only titanfall I can put as a better shooter that released, unless you are one of the strictly ...military realistic(y) guys (in which case you only played /tried to play bf)

great artstyle, solid gameplay, great shooting, fun - show me your other shooter where you ...laugh instead of curse when somebody blows you up- and for not even full retail price.

and given it just released on ps4, I think it will take some time to reach your 20$ margin. time better spent playing it! :D

Oh, I definitely agree that it's worth the full asking price. It's just that it's not on top of my personal list for games that will be bought either day one, or for full asking price shortly after release. If the end of this year wasn't so crowded, then it would be.

The image quality seems great in this game, looks superb for a crossgen title.

I just can't shake the solid value for $40, and the free DLC model included. Frustrating that Titanfall was full price, but we've had that conversation so much i'm certainly not trying to spark it again. The thoughts just been in my head all week.

I don't even mind the micro transactions as its so easy to earn coins.

Solid game.

I have yet to be able to connect a multiplayer match. I keep getting a message that says it's joining a server and then an error message where it's telling me to check my connection. I don't have issues with any other games and I'm sitting at a Nat Type 2. Anyone have any idea what I can do?

looks like popcap added the option to buy coins with real money

hopefully this also means they'll patch in the party system just as fast

yeah right

Teknoman

I think im gonna have to get this. I havent had a good and unique online MP shooter experience since Uncharted 3 (I still need to play Last of Us online heh) so this should match nicely with Destiny.

Do people use headsets / is there a pretty good sense of teamwork going on most of the time?

Bought this today, and played for about two hours. Besides the lack of a party system, this might be my favorite online shooter other than Shadow Fall.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I love playing as the Zombies just to hear Zomboss after every taking of a garden from the plants

"Shadsha fer asha ha, HA! HA! HA!"

By the way I got an awesome Chomper alt, Count Chompula or some shit like that... HOLY SHIT!

I'll take pic of it later

Ok, I've been playing this last couple of days without any problems, but now when I try to connect to any multiplayer game (anything besides Garden Ops), I get that "Unable to join a session. Please check your network connection and try again." message. I've tried restarting the game, restarting PS4 and restoring licences, but nothing helps. Other games (TLoU) work fine in multiplayer. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Edit: nevermind, managed to get into Mixed Mode in multiplayer. Gotta try Team Vanquish and Gardens & Graveyards again some time later.

I was going to ask how anyone could enjoy playing Chomper, then I unlocked the Fire Chomper... and now I think it might be one of my favourites.

It's particularly useful for Garden Ops. I just finished a game where I got 96 kills by just holding down the attack button and setting everything on fire. Way better than the Chomper's bite.

FHIZ

I was going to ask how anyone could enjoy playing Chomper, then I unlocked the Fire Chomper... and now I think it might be one of my favourites.

It's particularly useful for Garden Ops. I just finished a game where I got 96 kills by just holding down the attack button and setting everything on fire. Way better than the Chomper's bite.

Yeah, vanilla chopper is at the bottom for me. Much better class when you start getting AOE variants.

-MD-

I pretty much stick to the Hot Rod Chomp. It's the only variant I can maintain a decent K/D with.

HP on a chomper is useless imo, if you're getting shot while chewing you're gonna die no matter what so I'd rather have the speed.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why is it whenever there's 30 seconds to go on the timer for any part of Gardens and Graveyards, all hell breaks loose at the epicenter, it's like for the last 3.5 minutes everyone is just getting kills, but last few seconds, like "Oh Shit!, we have to cap or defend"

I have seen where the Plants get fucking cocky and push themselves so far to the Zombies spawn, that they forget those potted plants aren't a defense against some zombies bum rushing to cap
Zombies I hate are those who just chill in the background contributing nothing and just getting eaten/dieing to stupid corn air strikes, like hello you have 5 seconds to vacate the area where corn missiles just lodged into the ground

-MD-

Why is it whenever there's 30 seconds to go on the timer for any part of Gardens and Graveyards, all hell breaks loose at the epicenter, it's like for the last 3.5 minutes everyone is just getting kills, but last few seconds, like "Oh Shit!, we have to cap or defend"

I have seen where the Plants get fucking cocky and push themselves so far to the Zombies spawn, that they forget those potted plants aren't a defense against some zombies bum rushing to cap
Zombies I hate are those who just chill in the background contributing nothing and just getting eaten/dieing to stupid corn air strikes, like hello you have 5 seconds to vacate the area where corn missiles just lodged into the ground

I almost wanna pick up a PS4 copy to crush all the new players lol. I don't think I could play on a controller though at this point.

This is the most vanquishes I got so far.

I got this during Gardens and Graveyards, while playing as the regular cactus. I was just sniping like crazy, and people were just running into my garlic drone's corn strikes. I got mostly half of those vanquishes, during the last rush for Dave's Mansion. I kept using corn strikes near the teleporter, where the zombies kept huddling together. I was pretty much getting 5 kills each time. I was also just shooting everyone like crazy with it (don't know why no one ever tries to shoot drones down while knowing how dangerous they can be).

That was my best game yet. I was pretty surprised at this, since I'm terrible with the cactus.

Top Bottom