• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare PS4/PS3 |OT| Over-Delivering On Value

This is the one competitive online game I don't mind hearing kids talk on voice chat. Kind of cute hearing them talk to their friends or parents in the background about what plants they like or are trying to unlock.

Also gotta love joining a game right before it's about to end and getting coins for it.

Unfortunately the join at the last second and get coins is why I think so many people don't stick around from wave to wave. Just the chance to get the extra coinage is worth bailing to a lot of people.

I must admit I've been tempted.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
This is the ideal game for a free limited version or trial. Everyone who tries it seems to love it but it'll be a hard game to get people to try in the first place.

This is the one competitive online game I don't mind hearing kids talk on voice chat. Kind of cute hearing them talk to their friends or parents in the background about what plants they like or are trying to unlock.

Also gotta love joining a game right before it's about to end and getting coins for it.

The best part is when you find out which ones are the little kids when you kill someone and you can hear the kid upset on the mic, then you can repeatedly target them knowing full well that they aren't very good, furthering their suffering.

Vestax

Banned
I've ran into a couple of bugs that I never encountered on the XB1 version..

IPLW8wR.jpg

This one only happened once and lasted for several seconds, before it went away.

bn8fEWT.jpg

This one has occurred several times, and it has lasted for more than a minute. This one is the more annoying one. Happened when I tried to pull the leaderboard, and it just got stuck.

Weird. I would think it would be a bit more polished.

Maledict

I cannot get over how good this game is. It reminds me a bit of ME3 in that it has absolutely no right being this good. It's just fantastic and amazingly addictive.

Weirdly enough, I'm finding I enjoy gardens versus graveyards mode the most - plus it seems to earn you far more coins than any other mode according to the 'coins per minute' stat.

I do wish the sticker book was a bit more detailed on what the different characters actually mean though - what's the difference between the plumber and the engineer for example?

EDIT: and if anyone here was that bloody soldier who knew every hard to each camp spot on every map, and who I ended up duelling with on my cactus for ages this evening, then damn you to hell! ;-)

Mindlog

I cannot get over how good this game is. It reminds me a bit of ME3 in that it has absolutely no right being this good. It's just fantastic and amazingly addictive.

Weirdly enough, I'm finding I enjoy gardens versus graveyards mode the most - plus it seems to earn you far more coins than any other mode according to the 'coins per minute' stat.

I do wish the sticker book was a bit more detailed on what the different characters actually mean though - what's the difference between the plumber and the engineer for example?

EDIT: and if anyone here was that bloody soldier who knew every hard to each camp spot on every map, and who I ended up duelling with on my cactus for ages this evening, then damn you to hell! ;-)
360? I find myself dueling a lot of people lately. I've been getting double and tripled teamed with regularity. Still getting the job done though :] It's fun. Got some friendly hate mail from a poor engineer I killed almost a dozen times to keep the teleporter from going up.

This is a pretty good general guide on all the variants. Really have to start using them to get a true feel for each class. Plumber is basically a much stronger engineer. It's one of the strongest classes overall even after a nerf or two. Good range with lots of splash damage and decent rate of fire.

MMaRsu

No, that's the physical game. But you can buy $40 in PSn credit from amazon and then buy the game from the US PSN store (assuming you have a US account you can use).

Yea I might do that 40 euro is a bit too much

Although maybe ill buy a physical copy

Maledict

360? I find myself dueling a lot of people lately. I've been getting double and tripled teamed with regularity. Still getting the job done though :] It's fun. Got some friendly hate mail from a poor engineer I killed almost a dozen times to keep the teleporter from going up.

This is a pretty good general guide on all the variants. Really have to start using them to get a true feel for each class. Plumber is basically a much stronger engineer. It's one of the strongest classes overall even after a nerf or two. Good range with lots of splash damage and decent rate of fire.

Nope, PS4 version although I'm presuming the guy had played it before because there's no way you could accidentally find some of those spots. Over the coastal map he was wedged into the sails on a ship that made him almost impossible to hit. Not completely impossible however, and in that spot he couldn't fire to the sides.... ;-)

Cheers for the guide - is a lot more useful than the sticker book.

Have to say, I like playing both the engineer and cactus due to their drones, but I do think the engineer should be tweaked very slightly re the teleported. The coin bonus you get from activating one and people using it is really significant (1000 straight up, plus 10 per person), so it always ends up in a race between the engineers to get there first. Instead I think multiple engineers should be able to activate it, with each engineer speeding up the process, and each getting the reward. Otherwise I end up disliking other engineers on my team as much as the enemy!

Also, are the teleporters randomised or always on the same place? Sometimes it felt like they were random, other maps they were always in the same freaking annoying place...

Loomba

All last night this was lagging badly like I was running into invisable walls and I shoot and it comes out 2 seconds later.

Hope it's better tonight.

Maledict

Where are you based? I played from about 4pm uk time to 11 pm (don't ask!) and didn't have any issues at all.

Was it on the garden ops more or the multiplayer? I think they are set up different when it comes to connections, as the multiplayer has never lagged for me whilst garden ops has several times.

Loomba

Where are you based? I played from about 4pm uk time to 11 pm (don't ask!) and didn't have any issues at all.

Was it on the garden ops more or the multiplayer? I think they are set up different when it comes to connections, as the multiplayer has never lagged for me whilst garden ops has several times.

I was on multiplayer and it wasn't my connection because I played a few matches of UFC and TLoU between and they didn't lag at all.

Strange...

IcyEyes

This game is pretty awesome, far better than other FPS I played in the past months (included Titanfall) and seriously we cannot stop to play!

I was pretty "surprised" to find out such low metascore (76), especially if compared to other "big" games. It's a shame and sometimes even a problem (not for me and for all other people who use their own brain to choose whether to buy a game or not)
This, once again, demonstrates the real value of metascore and the value of the opinion of the people around the web and in the forums.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Digital or physical?

digital - get it instantly, jump into a game whenever you want without grabbing a disc. The main benefit of physical would be the ability to trade it in later, but because you'll be importing, that would be a pain (I have a cupboard full of old US/JPN PS3 games because I can't trade them in and can't be bothered selling internationally)

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Digital or physical?

I usually go with physical whenever I can help it.

Main reason being that if for some reason I needed to make space on the hard drive for another game all I have to do is pick one and then later if I want to replay it again just pop the disc back in.

So far the PS4 is great when it comes to installing games off the disc so if I decide to play one again I only have to wait a minute or two at the most for it to install again.

I usually go with physical whenever I can help it.

Main reason being that if for some reason I needed to make space on the hard drive for another game all I have to do is pick one and then later if I want to replay it again just pop the disc back in.

So far the PS4 is great when it comes to installing games off the disc so if I decide to play one again I only have to wait a minute or two at the most for it to install again.
Same, and physical also if I ever would want to trade it in.

Sweet Ivy

This game is pretty awesome, far better than other FPS I played in the past months (included Titanfall) and seriously we cannot stop to play!

I was pretty "surprised" to find out such low metascore (76), especially if compared to other "big" games. It's a shame and sometimes even a problem (not for me and for all other people who use their own brain to choose whether to buy a game or not)
This, once again, demonstrates the real value of metascore and the value of the opinion of the people around the web and in the forums.
Can't agree more.
The only thing I'm missing is a party system, but so far we managed, still a true party system (or linking PS4 party system) would be really welcome!

That said... well the game is fun, the maps are great and there's a lot of content. I remember really getting hyped with the preview, but probably didn't expect this much. The amount of content (costume and characters) it's quite outstanding.

That said, metascores are just good for laughing at this point.
I seriously hope no one bases their decisions on that (for the bad or the good)!

Maledict

Don't understand why the meta-score is so low compared to Titanfall. Objectively the game clearly has a larger amount of content included, and froma personal viewpoint re the fun involved it's clear the majority of players absolutely love it.

Makes you feel either Titanfall was overrated in reviews, or this game got lower scores for odd reasons (possibly just people's initial impressions of an FPS set in the plants versus zombies world, which I admit I had as well!).

iamjohn

Don't understand why the meta-score is so low compared to Titanfall. Objectively the game clearly has a larger amount of content included, and froma personal viewpoint re the fun involved it's clear the majority of players absolutely love it.

Makes you feel either Titanfall was overrated in reviews, or this game got lower scores for odd reasons (possibly just people's initial impressions of an FPS set in the plants versus zombies world, which I admit I had as well!).

I would guess that reviewers didn't get a chance to play the game for weeks and so they only gave an initial impression. They may not have seen the lack of content since they had to get the review out quickly.

Agram

Anyone else having trouble with 'Gargantuan Task' trophy? I did it several times and even tried on my other account. I don't know why it won't unlock even though I'm playing Garden Ops solo just to be sure I'm the one who kills Gargantuar.

Anyone else having trouble with 'Gargantuan Task' trophy? I did it several times and even tried on my other account. I don't know why it won't unlock even though I'm playing Garden Ops solo just to be sure I'm the one who kills Gargantuar.

And you killed it directly, not a potted plant?

On a different topic I don't understand why kills and the like right after the map completes get nullified.

It's very frustrating to get the last of a "Do X 5 times in a session" a millisecond too late and the game does a "NOPE!"

What would be the abuse if they allowed these as normal?

vypek

Make sure its you getting the kills and not plants. If its you, then I don't know what is wrong.

And you killed it directly, not a potted plant?

On a different topic I don't understand why kills and the like right after the map completes get nullified.

It's very frustrating to get the last of a "Do X 5 times in a session" a millisecond too late and the game does a "NOPE!"

What would be the abuse if they allowed these as normal?

Probably no abuse. Its probably just that the game was programmed to end right when the last kill or last capture was made. I wouldnt think its something they did on purpose to screw people over or anything.

On another note, got my platinum :) So happy. This game has been a blast. Had such a great team when playing Crazy mode. Unfortunately I'll have to play it less now that I'm back to my classes. But its definitely a great game to unwind with.

Sweet Ivy

Hyped games often get this.
Everyone is hyped/excited and the first few hours get a great score. (Remember GTA4?)

On the other hand though, it's not difficult to see the content and scope of PvZ, so I really can't justify lowish scores for it.

Agram

As I was collecting evidence with Share button, trophy finally popped!

Anyway, I love this game and would recomend it to everyone. There are a lot of players and I always find a match, but I'm afraid how it will be like when Destiny launches.
The only I miss (kind of) is any type of melee attack.

BTW, what is the best Sunflower. I have regular and Fire, but they are too weak. My KDR with them is embarrassing.

Has there been any news on when we'll have patch parity with the xb1 version. IE being able to join a game with a party

I hope it's real soon.

It's just way too frustrating to play with friends.

Also why does mixed mode have gardens and graveyards in it? It should really only consist of V, VC and gnome bomb (and CQ, when it's released).

Has anyone been getting a strange bug on the PS4 version? When I fire it up it almost always says save data could not be loaded, but continues to load it 8/10 times anyway, but the other 2/10 result in me being booted back to the dashboard with an error code. I'm getting BF4 vibes from seeing that damned error code and it being an EA game.

Other than that though, this is the best damned shooter I have played since....well ever. I want to compare it to gears and BFBC or BF2 quality wise, but this game goes above and beyond for me. It's like the perfect match up of mechanics! A silly fun shooter with a sense of humor, tons of unlockables and customizations for visual flare and in game function, then to top it off tower defence elements in the 'main' game mode. Thank you GAF as I would have passed over this gem if it wasn't for everyone here. It's like someone took Horde 2.0 from Gears then dropped it into the competitive multiplayer and it is godly! Not even delved into the Co-op yet but I know I'm gonna love it already.

Probably no abuse. Its probably just that the game was programmed to end right when the last kill or last capture was made. I wouldnt think its something they did on purpose to screw people over or anything.

Except it doesn't end right when the last kill or last capture is made.

I had a bullet in mid-air to complete a challenge to kill 3 peashooters in a single sesson. Game over->Bullet hits->Peashooter falls over dead. Graphically anyway. Score-wise I didn't get credit for the kill or the challenge. sigh

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Except it doesn't end right when the last kill or last capture is made.

I had a bullet in mid-air to complete a challenge to kill 3 peashooters in a single sesson. Game over->Bullet hits->Peashooter falls over dead. Graphically anyway. Score-wise I didn't get credit for the kill or the challenge. sigh

What you described is "ending when last kill or capture is made".
The game ended at the "game over" spot.

I hope it's real soon.

It's just way too frustrating to play with friends.

Also why does mixed mode have gardens and graveyards in it? It should really only consist of V, VC and gnome bomb (and CQ, when it's released).

Yeah...I hope it's soon. It can be a bit of a bear trying to play with more than one friend getting on the same team etc

MMaRsu

digital - get it instantly, jump into a game whenever you want without grabbing a disc. The main benefit of physical would be the ability to trade it in later, but because you'll be importing, that would be a pain (I have a cupboard full of old US/JPN PS3 games because I can't trade them in and can't be bothered selling internationally)
Ok I will what if EA shuts down the servers tho??

Anybody who wants to play with me in a few hrs?? Show me the ropes? MMaRsu on PSN :).

Mindlog

Otherwise I end up disliking other engineers on my team as much as the enemy!

Also, are the teleporters randomised or always on the same place? Sometimes it felt like they were random, other maps they were always in the same freaking annoying place...
I know that game. However, engineers are also well equipped to run up their scores with vanquish streaks.

All teleporters are randomized between two spawn locations before every objective.

So what, exactly, can you do "offline"?

i just got it, and you can play Garden Ops by yourself - just create a match and change 'Public' to 'Invite Only'.

I've played many matches by myself, just to learn map layouts and mess around. You won't 'win' the match by yourself though - it's too hard.

MMaRsu

Wow the install on ps4 takes a loooooong time :eek:

Dying to play but thankfully the Surgeon Simulator ps4 coop patch came out.

Phear

Rank 45, doesnt seem to get any further. Most challenges are very hard. And i got no more skip stars :(

Can i see, how many of a specific Enemy i killed allready? Got 825 Zombie Kills as a Plant, Trophy for every Zombie 100 each doesnt unlock... I dont know which ones im missing.

Just played two games of Gardens vs Graveyards in a row against plants teams who didn't play the objective at all. Completely squashed them. I don't understand the (admittedly minority of) players in this game who seem to care about their K/D when it isn't even on display.

Also, do any of the scientists variants actually make him good? I suck with vanilla scientist and my teammates always run away from my heals, haha.

Just played two games of Gardens vs Graveyards in a row against plants teams who didn't play the objective at all. Completely squashed them. I don't understand the (admittedly minority of) players in this game who seem to care about their K/D when it isn't even on display.

Also, do any of the scientists variants actually make him good? I suck with vanilla scientist and my teammates always run away from my heals, haha.

Astronaut is pretty good, I luckily got him from the 40k sticker pack

napalmjam

I hate online multiplayer's but I really enjoy this even if I am getting hammered and the garden warfare mode is fantastic . Where are the microtransactions ppl were talking about?

Top Bottom