• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QuakeCon 2011 |OT|

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Truespeed said:
Blame the myriad of PC graphics abstraction layers that get in the way of performance such as DirectX. Seems John also agrees with AMD's GPU manager.
Those APIs are basically the reason why 3D PC gaming didn't die back in the 90s. Having to write code for specific hardware vendors would be nightmarish, to say the least.

Carmack hates post processing too and what it does to IQ/color. yay.

Sad that he 'lost that battle' as he calls it.

He sounds sooooooo grounded though, like almost defeated on many levels (but still cautiously optimistic).
The texture story about the artists made me sad.

Curious about what he'll be able to do with a new gen of hardware.

Red UFO

SneakyStephan said:

He sounds sooooooo grounded though, like almost defeated on many levels (but still cautiously optimistic).

He always sounds like this, but I don't think it's because he feels 'defeated', I think it's because he just wants to do more. If you look back at old interviews with him from the Quakeworld launch, etc., he always comments on what could be done with more time and resources.

I guess that's what makes him so good.

Man

"You can't help but smile when you throw a grenade and the enemy grunt curses before flying through the air with the limbs of his buddies flying past him"

"I have no idea how we came through the German rating untouched this time and not with Doom 3"

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Man some of these nerds are pissed. The Android white knight especially.
Yeah i mean youre talking with Gaming God Carmack and you throw a fit due Android?
Damn.

SneakyStephan said:

Carmack doesnt lie plus he is a programmer.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm surprised Carmack doesn't like the intro video, I'd have thought a ton of time and effort go into perfecting that, put your best foot forward etc.

EDIT: They're targeting 30fps for Doom 4 on PCs? I assumed he meant on consoles previously.

Man

StuBurns said:
EDIT: They're targeting 30fps for Doom 4 on PCs? I assumed he meant on consoles previously.
Nah, he said Doom 4 will be built with more 'upscaling' in mind so the PC version of that game (and potential next-gen console versions) will have extra assets/effects for those systems then Rage PC vs Console. He specifically said Doom 4 should be pushed more towards 60fps in SP for the PC market.

StuBurns

Banned
Man said:
Nah, he said Doom 4 will be built with more 'upscaling' in mind so the PC version of that game (and potential next-gen console versions) will have extra assets/effects for those systems then Rage PC vs Console. He specifically said Doom 4 should be pushed more towards 60fps in SP for the PC market.
He said the high end PCs no? I guess it's a subjective term, I don't know if he means bleeding edge or essentially normal gaming PCs.

I've finished watching it now, it was a lot more technically dense than the talk itself, but what I understood of it I enjoyed. There were some burning questions I wish people had asked, but that's always going to happen.

Carmack really is a very impressive public speaker. And I am pretty crazy excited for Rage right now.

Truespeed

SapientWolf said:
Those APIs are basically the reason why 3D PC gaming didn't die back in the 90s. Having to write code for specific hardware vendors would be nightmarish, to say the least.

So they encapsulated the nightmare into inefficient and bloated drivers. I'm not saying abstraction wasn't necessary back then, but they would probably be in a better position if they had standards and generally accepted programming practices in place. At some point they're going to need to cut the cord and start over considering the mess they've made.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
StuBurns said:
I've finished watching it now, it was a lot more technically dense than the talk itself, but what I understood of it I enjoyed. There were some burning questions I wish people had asked, but that's always going to happen.
I'm sure there's nothing at terrible and cringe-worthy as the guy who pleaded with him to test his games for free last year.

Going to watch now, can't wait. :)

StuBurns

Banned
luka said:
I'm sure there's nothing at terrible and cringe-worthy as the guy who pleaded with him to test his games for free last year.

Going to watch now, can't wait. :)
There was one guy who irritated me greatly, I'll let you guess which.

jett

D-Member
StuBurns said:
There was one guy who irritated me greatly, I'll let you guess which.

lol was it the DAT TRAILER IS ART ZOMG guy?

Great Q&A, I could listen to Carmack talk about anything. Loved his insights on nasa and space exploration.

Man

Saw a game preview the other day hail the intro of Rage being of substantial high quality, on a movie CG level.

Carmack disses it, saying it's disappointing and not as well directed as their trailers and with non-realistic meteor physics haha.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
lol was it the DAT TRAILER IS ART ZOMG guy?

Great Q&A, I could listen to Carmack talk about anything. Loved his insights on nasa and space exploration.
PE01TS.jpg

EDIT: I just remembered, a little bit of news that's in the Q&A that was discussed earlier but we weren't too sure.

The editor is coming with the 64bit version only, which is being released after the 32bit PC version.

peakish

Wow, 80 + 80 minutes of presentation and Q&A, I can't hold my voice for 45 mins of speaking in a go :lol

I loved the part about how much they had to compress stuff to fit into realistic disc/DD sizes and the thought of them releasing a level with less compression.

Truespeed

30 more minutes of Carmack talking about Rage, drivers, ray tracing, infinite detail and how you too can be en engine programmer with only high school math.

Link

Man

Truespeed said:
30 more minutes of Carmack talking about Rage, drivers, ray tracing, infinite detail and how you too can be en engine programmer with only high school math.

Link
Thanks for this.

Man

Some of the comments:
- Carmack has heavily been into OpenCL the last 1.5 years. They now use raytracing for all offline rendering instead of rasterization for megatexture processing.
- Hopes Cell doesn't return with the next PlayStation. Peak performance is great in specific cases, much faster than the X360 and only matched by the most extreme pc's but overall the CPU is a pain in the ass.
- 'Infinite detail' and procedural generated detail is really just a truly crappy form of data compression.
- SOC (CPU and GPU in one) will sneak up on people, Intel cpu's getting there.
- Ray tracing will ultimately win over rasterization, will make graphics programming much easier.
- Next gen console games will be built with tessellation from the ground up and some games will dip into ray-tracing.

KKRT00

Man said:
Some of the comments:
- Carmack has heavily been into OpenCL the last 1.5 years. They now use raytracing for all offline rendering instead of rasterization for megatexture processing.
- Hopes Cell doesn't return with the next PlayStation. Peak performance is great in specific cases, much faster than the X360 and only matched by the most extreme pc's but overall the CPU is a pain in the ass.
- 'Infinite detail' and procedural generated detail is really just a truly crappy form of data compression.

- SOC (CPU and GPU in one) will sneak up on people, Intel cpu's getting there.
- Ray tracing will ultimately win over rasterization, will make graphics programming much easier.
- Next gen console games will be built with tessellation from the ground up and some games will dip into ray-tracing.
Where did You get those comments?

Top Bottom