• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QuakeCon 2011 |OT|

peakish

Here's hoping the Q&A with Carmack will have one guy hogging questions by begging for a job for five minutes again.

Truespeed

Hopefully, they record Carmack's keynote this year. I was disappointed I couldn't find the full video of his 2010 keynote. WTF were they thinking. The most important 2 hours in gaming just gone.

TommyT

Poker tournament on Friday night:

If you’re looking for a BYOC break on Friday night, we invite you to participate in the Dallas IGDA Charity Poker Tournament. Starting at 6 PM in the Hilton Anatole (you’ll already be there!), the tournament is all for a great cause — with proceeds going to Child’s Play.

The initial buy-in is $40 and re-buys are $30 (payments are made at the tournament). If you think you have what it takes to win (or just want to join in on the fun), click here to register!

We’ll have plenty of awesome prizes at the event — including contributions from id Software and Bethesda. For more on the event, head to the IGDA Dallas website.

Trojan X

Banned
Billychu said:
I love how I live 3 hours away but I'll actually be in London the entire time :/

Its a pity, but it will be nice & sunny in London this weekend so make sure you plan your time over here, especially on a Friday & Saturday night as that's the party zone in the Leceister Square and other areas in the West End. If you don't plan then you'll regret.

Meeru

Banned
My first time in quakecon. Mainly going there for tribes ascend, but are here prize giveaways and stuff rom different booths?

TommyT

Meeru said:
My first time in quakecon. Mainly going there for tribes ascend, but are here prize giveaways and stuff rom different booths?

Yes. Booths will sometimes have demos scheduled or will gather a crowd to do something. They also have drawings that you can sign-up for and whatnot.

Joe Molotov

Meeru said:
are here prize giveaways and stuff rom different booths?

There's the main giveaway from Ventrillo for the truck, they have events every few hours where they pick people to win tickets for it, plus random gear and they throw t-shirts and swag into the crowd pretty much non-stop. Also, at other events, they'll throw t-shirts and swag. Then just about every vendor has prize giveaways, you just have to check the booths for times and entry forms. Plus they have t-shirts and swag too.

The only thing I've ever won was a 450W PSU, but I've grabbed about three dozen t-shirts, mousepads, thermoses, hats, DVDs, and a copy of Wolfenstein 360 over the years.

Zebra

So, GAF meetup or no?

Regardless, this will be my first time attending and I'm excited. :) I've been skipping out for years thinking I had to be a part of the BYOC to enjoy myself.

Teknoman

So...any way Brink can be revived? Maybe like Deadbeat from the Brink OT suggested...a free weekend on Steam, possibly during Quakecon?

TommyT

I'll probably be going all three days. Thursday/Friday I have to work but will be there in the evening ass soon as I get off. Saturday I will be there most of the day. I still haven't gotten word if RAGE will be on PC.

Grayman

Do the panels usually get archived or just carmack's keynote? Some looked like they might be interesting.

I am not sure if we will see the DOOM reveal because RAGE still is not out. I am leaning towards no DOOM... at least I am happy if I am wrong.

Teknoman said:
So...any way Brink can be revived? Maybe like Deadbeat from the Brink OT suggested...a free weekend on Steam, possibly during Quakecon?
Brink seems to need a lot of game work to it. For Quake 4 it was too little too late but Quake 4 took years to be a releasable game.

I was going to go this year but my car is (sort of) out of commission and I won't be able to drop it off and get a rental until Monday. Boo.

Chaos

derFeef said:
What timezone are those times? I want to be ready for carmack keynote!

According to what I have read on vg247 I think its 2pm local time in Texas, 8pm BST, 9pm CET, 3pm EST, 12pm PST and 5am Sydney

derFeef said:
What timezone are those times? I want to be ready for carmack keynote!

ooh yes give a carmack keynote baby.
if im not mistaken it over 8 hours from now.
so for gmt folks 8pm if i got that right.

derFeef

Chaos said:
According to what I have read on vg247 I think its 2pm local time in Texas, 8pm BST, 9pm CET, 3pm EST, 12pm PST and 5am Sydney
Thank you good sir. I checked the dates at their site and noticed I can put it in my google calender. Flawless!

TommyT

Here we go guys and girls. Registration is open and the doors will open to the hall here within the hour. I have to work the next two days so I'll only be going in the evening, unfortunately with no GAF shirts to represent :(.

Carmack will have his speech streamed on youtube supposedly, can someone be sure to grab it off there if it isn't auto-saved?? (I don't know how youtube does that stuff)

TommyT

[HP] said:
Here's the calendar:
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/...ull-event-schedule-and-mobile-app/#more-15455

Does ANYONE know a link to watch carmacks keynote please?

:lol the schedule of events is in the freaking OP...

Unofficial QuakeCon Streaming Announcement
Posted by Mattc0m in Competitive, Featured Articles, Gaming, Projects on Aug 4th, 2011 | no responses

Hey guys, just checking in quickly to give you an idea of what to expect. Namely, you’re going to receive some top quality coverage beginning at 1:00pm CDT (19:00 GMT) today! Stay tuned as we stream throughout the rest of the week, and enjoy stream replays overnight for European viewers, too. For those wondering about Brink, at the very least the finals will be covered on main stage on Saturday night. Fun times.

World-class coverage team
James “2gd” Harding, Alex “Jehar” Popa, and Steve “GreasedScotsman” Huff will be providing top quality commentary of the Quake Live tournaments.

Higher quality than ever before
QuakeCon, for the first time ever, is streaming at 720p. Don’t take our word for it, tune into the coverage beginning Thursday at 1pm CDT (19:00 GMT).

Ad-free coverage
Enjoy the QuakeCon experience ad-free through own3D.tv and their world-class video cstreaming platform.

Complete QuakeCon coverage
Tune in for interviews with pro gamers, tournament admins, QuakeCon staff, developers, and more. We will be providing exclusive behind-the-scenes video in the tournament, expo, and BYOC areas, capturing the complete QuakeCon experience. Finally, cap off your QuakeCon experience with video coverage of the main ballroom events, featuring the keynote and Saturday’s Tournament Finals Party.
Connect with QuakeCon

own3D.tv
Our exclusive page for the live stream. Tune in starting Thursday at 1pm CDT (19:00 GMT)
http://www.own3d.tv/quakecon

YouTube
View videos from around QuakeCon all in one official destination.
http://www.youtube.com/quakecon2011

Twitter
Get the latest updates from the coverage team.
http://twitter.com/quakeconcvg

Other official announcements will be available at http://twitter.com/quakecon

Facebook
Follow us on Facebook for the latest updates & even participate in the Community Choice Award Poll.
http://www.facebook.com/quakecon

Give us feedback
We are committed to answering your questions and addressing your concerns while we’re at the event. We want to give you the best experience possible, and here’s how.

* Google Moderator
This is the primary way to submit feedback, ask questions, and even submit question to ask the professional gamers in the tournaments.
http://goo.gl/mod/pHKd
* IRC Chat
Join us on irc.quakenet.org on #quakecon. This channel is specifically used for the live stream coverage, but still can be used for general QuakeCon discussion!

From whatever this place is.

TommyT

Majanew said:
Gee, could've had the time-zone in the OP. I take it Carmack's keynote is around 3pm ET...sweet.

ROFL sorry for me not putting that the times for an even taking place in Dallas will use the timezone Dallas is in. You're right, I could have. I didn't think it would be a confusing concept.

Majanew

Banned
TommyT said:
ROFL sorry for me not putting that the times for an even taking place in Dallas will use the timezone Dallas is in. You're right, I could have. I didn't think it would be a confusing concept.
Hey, I didn't want to assume the times are Central just because it's in Dallas. Don't want to miss Carmack's keynote. :p

subversus said:
Carmack's keynote will be streamed on youtube this time.

If so, where's a link? Just youtube/quakecon2011?

I'm like a 2 hour drive from Dallas so if I leave my house RIGHT NOW I could probably make Carmack's keynote lol, but I'm not a big PC gamer so what else is there to do? Mainly, is there going to be playable RAGE stations open to the public?

Top Bottom