• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

End spoilers..
am I imagining things or were there other 'people' passing through the time machine when you go through it that final time? Pretty sure I saw one of them wearing a checkered shirt not unlike the one that Alan Wake wears in American Nightmare..

Found Act 2 of the screenplay

Cfpialw.gif

Audiobook cracked me up as well, what a game.

I love that the audiobook shows up in the TV show XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wg23avN5NQ&t=2m44s

Mikko Rautalahti was the writer who did the audiobook, Tyler Burton Smith did the screenplay. Remedy's writers sure know how to have fun!

eshwaaz

I kinda can't believe the reload animation.

Like. How do you not have a clip coming in and out of the gun?
Especially disappointing because of Remedy's obsessive weapon detail in Max Payne 1 and 2. Seeing shell casings just fall out of the pistols instead of ejecting to the side is depressing.

I've loved the experience but urgh, checkpoints before cutscenes should be banned. Like, you should straight up fail cert if you have one in your game.
God, yes. I will never, ever understand this. So many games still do it, and it's baffling every time.

Footos22

One 4 being removed out of 60 odd reviews isn't gonna even move the metacritic average. When there is 3 more sat there on the same score. So quit whining.

Keys

Was at the start of act
5-3
and the game crashed, I rebooted the game and I get an error about not being able to sync last saved data. If I start it offline I get only the new game option :(

Cth

Time has stopped. Keep moving.

I'll admit, I've always been the kind of player who rushes and gets ahead of enemies often catching the AI off guard as a result.

So it's nice to be rewarded for being that kind of aggressive player.

To me, the cutscenes reinforce the idea that you should be playing it that way. I could have swore I heard bad guys saying they were caught off guard at how fast he was taking everyone down. How it was impossible for this guy to take out 20+ guards by himself, etc. And the way Joyce is rash/angry/going on the offensive in Act 2 shows that as well.

It's kind of like the Flash, everyone from his POV is moving slow or not at all.

I can see how some players have been trained to go into cover and incorrectly thinking it's a cover shooter.

I appreciate that Remedy has gone out of their way to add additional dialogue options so things sound natural when exploring.. the auto cover is just another example of trying to make things more "real".

nib95

Banned
Was at the start of act
5-3
and the game crashed, I rebooted the game and I get an error about not being able to sync last saved data. If I start it offline I get only the new game option :(

The game crashed for me twice in exactly the same segment. Never had a crash anywhere else though.

hawk2025

Bummer that testing removed hip firing.

Hip firing is all about mobility and complementing the move set -- would have worked great with the game's two speed powers IMO and made it even more fun and dynamic.

I've instinctively tried to use it dozens of times while playing.

RE: Jeff; Quantum Break is the Driveclub of TPSs :p

SlickVic

Does this game have a Collectible mode like Life is Strange where you can go back to earlier parts of the game to search for missing collectibles? Hesitant to check as I don't want to start any new game that overwrites my current progress.

Does this game have a Collectible mode like Life is Strange where you can go back to earlier parts of the game to search for missing collectibles? Hesitant to check as I don't want to start any new game that overwrites my current progress.

Use the timeline on the main menu :)

hawk2025

Yes! You can go back to any act through the Timeline and it will tell you exactly what you are missing.

Starting a New Game deletes everything, so just go to act 1 if you want the equivalent of NG+.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Played a little into Act 4 last night. I'm really loving this game. Taking my time looking for collectibles, reading everything etc.

Quick question for after I'm done with this playthrough...can you just jump to the junctions to make the other decisions and see altered TV episodes? Or do you need to jump back to the first junction (or earlier) and playthrough the acts again? I'm hoping the former as I don't know that I care to playthrough it again anytime soon, especially with DS3 in a couple days.

ShutterMunster

Oof. I hate to be one of those guys, but that Giant Bomb QL is awful. It's almost like Jeff was going out of his way to not engage with the mechanics. Of course he never felt like a badass, he never got a good grasp on how to chain shit together!

I think the game is pushing players to be a bit more creative. It hands you all the powers individually, but it never sits you down and says "Okay now use this one and then follow it up with this one," but what game does? I agree with a lot of the other stuff in his review, but yikes. I think the combat is pretty good, it could be more varied, but I almost always feel OP. The enemies that have the shields that remove your powers are fucking lame though. The game isn't fun enough as a standard cover shooter to support those type of enemies.

pieface

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but has anyone else got the bug where theres no sound when characters speak in cutscenes? I get background music, but no voice, kinda makes the game impossible to play. Tried restarting, no fix.

So can I get the hard mode achievement by replaying all the missions on hard or do I have to restart the game and lose all my upgrades? Same for the Junction Point achievements too?

Strootman

Hip firing is all about mobility and complementing the move set -- would have worked great with the game's two speed powers IMO and made it even more fun and dynamic.

Me too and I agree with you

Just finished it (100%) and loved pretty much all of it, including the tv aspect. Well done, Remedy and Sam Lake.

My only complaint would be that the quantum ripples really didn't show that much of a difference, like 5 or 10 seconds.

Took me 13 hours to beat.

Can't wait to see what's next from Remedy, hopefully Alan Wake Returns, sooner than later.

If you're playing a game like other games in ways that make it less enjoyable, then I think it's fair to say that's more about the player than the design. Mind you, some game systems aren't fun or interesting even when played as intended. My experience has been that using the stuf in QB is really fun.

So if someone is insisting on playing a game a particular way, and also saying that way isn't fun for them, there's not a whole lot to reasonably say in response. Even more if they're having a discussion on game systems (conceptually) and they aren't aware of some of the mechanics, when those are important to how the package plays in the end.

Where did Jeff insist on playing the game in particular way? You are just making up things.

Yup, hip firing should have been in there, would have worked great with the speed power where you push an enemy back.

DirtyLarry

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but has anyone else got the bug where theres no sound when characters speak in cutscenes? I get background music, but no voice, kinda makes the game impossible to play. Tried restarting, no fix.
I had the same issue in the latest Tomb Raider. Drove me nuts as I spent upwards of 30 minutes troubleshooting it.

It turned out the wires to my center speaker got loose. If you have a setup with multiple speakers check the connection to your center speaker. That is where 98% of games do the dialogue.

I've got all the collectibles. Just 1 achievement off getting 1000G and that's playing it on hard. So will be starting a new playthrough soon. Absolutely love my time with it.

I feel if they had hip firing and did not have snap to cover this game would have been better. It would probably teach Jeff to play it in a different way.

Trup1aya

You guys need to snap out of your "You're playing it WRONG!" bullshit like right now.

That's a terrible way of talking to someone who happens to not like a game.

Just chill.

Well, he wasn't playing it as it was intended to be played. So it's understandable why he didn't enjoy his experience.

Perhaps the devs could have done a better job exposing how time powers were supposed to be chained as part of the combat loop. But i find it a bit humourous that he talks down the lack of blindfire, but in the same breath says the game didn't provide motivation to use the powers. The limited cover system WAS the motivation, at least for me (that and the fact that the powers are badass).

Well, he wasn't playing it as it was intended to be played. So it's understandable why he didn't enjoy his experience.

Perhaps the devs could have done a better job exposing how time powers were supposed to be chained as part of the combat loop. But i find it a bit humourous that he talks down the lack of blindfire, but in the same breath says the game didn't provide motivation to use the powers. The limited cover system WAS the motivation, at least for me (that and the fact that the powers are badass).

But what was the point of snapping to cover then? Just let player position himself behind objects to avoid fire.

This is another issue I have with this game, there weren't enough combat scenarios in my opinion. By the time you start becoming a badass and wielding time powers like second nature, you're near the end of the game. 2nd playthroughs will probably be better then 1st I would think. So many slow moments in a game consecutively, Act 4 was almost completely filled with story exposition when it needed more time in combat. I love story driven games, but when you finish a game and still feel like you don't have a complete grasp of all the shit you can do, it's just bad.

Ein Bear

Just beat the first act on my second playthrough.

That's what I love about time travel storylines. There's so much stuff you pick up on the second go around.

Only time I hid behind things is when there was a sniper or when my shield power was drained and my screen was turning a red tint.

After you get time rush, the gameplay becomes fantastic, so many ways to defeat enemies.

This is another issue I have with this game, there weren't enough combat scenarios in my opinion. By the time you start becoming a badass and wielding time powers like second nature, you're near the end of the game. 2nd playthroughs will probably be better then 1st I would think. So many slow moments in a game consecutively, Act 4 was almost completely filled with story exposition when it needed more time in combat. I love story driven games, but when you finish a game and still feel like you don't have a complete grasp of all the shit you can do, it's just bad.

I was really looking to a second playthrough, but when I started I realized that loading times when you are skipping cutscenes take about as much time as cutscenes themselves. Figured I might as well be done with the game...

Havoc2049

I don't care if it's not meant to be played like a cover shooter. Not having blind fire or shooting while crouching is dumb. Lazy game design imo.

I wouldn't mind having aimed in cover shooting in QB. Blind fire cover shooting, while fun in the more visceral action of Gears of War, isn't the least bit realistic and I wouldn't want it in QB.

I've been busy this week, so I'm just now getting into QB. So far I've finished Act 1 and watched the first live action episode. I'm really enjoying the game mechanics and story so far. I guess I'll see if it gets old in the long run, but so far QB is a great game and a unique experience.

Lima

Lmao that boss fight was straight ass. Textbook on how not to do them. Naughty Dog would be proud. They have equally bad boss fights in Uncharted.

I was really looking to a second playthrough, but when I started I realized that loading times when you are skipping cutscenes take about as much time as cutscenes themselves. Figured I might as well be done with the game...

I only skipped the final boss cutscene because of replaying it a few times, if that's how long all of them are, it's gonna be a pain to go through again.

Trup1aya

But what was the point of snapping to cover then? Just player position himself behind objects to avoid fire.

Yeah, it's sometimes useful for a few moments, maybe to reload, maybe because your powers are recharging.

But you aren't meant to sit behind cover, popping shots at enemies, for entire encounters (like Jeff was seen trying to do)

Sure, but it sucks to use it that way. It was one of Jeff's mistakes. I always dashed to safe area or behind a larger cover. Much more dynamic that way.

whats the big difference between dashing behind large cover and dashing behind waist high cover? Just the crouching animation... Either way, when your powers are back, you jump back into the fight

Re cover:

Yes, Jack will automatically "duck" when near cover, but I don't think that makes the game a cover shooter. At least, not to me. Is *insert another well-known TPS here* a CQC game because you can melee attack characters? It’s one player verb of many. We added the automated (passive) cover system so that Jack doesn’t seem, well, incompetent. Being able to take cover is now an established player verb in third person shooters, I honestly think removing our lite version of it would of annoyed more people than having it.

That said, it does look like we could of done better pushing players out of cover, or encouraging players to use their movement based powers more.

Interesting fact; we actually did have a blindfire / hipfire option in the game for a very long while – to finish it would of cost X (a lot) amount of time and resource and we felt that a: people wouldn’t use blindfire (internal and external testing showed that no one used it) and b: we wanted to spend that resource on something else.

Just wanted to say that I REALLY appreciate you throwing some awesome info of it's development in here (^_____^)

Top Bottom