• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

Found Act 2 of the screenplay

Cfpialw.gif

Audiobook cracked me up as well, what a game.

Yep, I've completely lost my save game. Yesterday I was having this crazy lighting issue with the shadows sort of turning on and off and I rebooted the console and it still didn't work, so I played something else, then came back to QB and my save was gone. Start a new game is my only option. Tried forcing a sync with the cloud (I played with an internet connection the whole time) and still nothing. Really annoying. Thankfully I had already beaten the game and gotten all collectibles but I really wanted to replay on hard with all the abilities fully upgraded.

Ascenion

Guys, I've been trying to do the final boss on Hard for over an hour and a half now. I don't think I've even gotten the boss down to half health yet. Am I missing something? Having to waste 40 seconds in loading screens after every death is getting frustrating too.

I don't understand the red bombs? Is the only possible way to survive them to do the time sprint? I die from them everytime, because i literally have zero idea how t counter it, or what it even is.

If you're talking about the little ones while fighting monarch basically he's doing a mini time blast just like you have. Short answer: Keep moving, be aware and it isn't a problem. If you mean the big one: stand in a corner when he activates it run to the other side of the pool. Fight only has two phases, be aware in phase two he does the massive time blast twice.

Re cover:

Yes, Jack will automatically "duck" when near cover, but I don't think that makes the game a cover shooter. At least, not to me. Is *insert another well-known TPS here* a CQC game because you can melee attack characters? It’s one player verb of many. We added the automated (passive) cover system so that Jack doesn’t seem, well, incompetent. Being able to take cover is now an established player verb in third person shooters, I honestly think removing our lite version of it would of annoyed more people than having it.

That said, it does look like we could of done better pushing players out of cover, or encouraging players to use their movement based powers more.

Interesting fact; we actually did have a blindfire / hipfire option in the game for a very long while – to finish it would of cost X (a lot) amount of time and resource and we felt that a: people wouldn’t use blindfire (internal and external testing showed that no one used it) and b: we wanted to spend that resource on something else.

You guys need to snap out of your "You're playing it WRONG!" bullshit like right now.

That's a terrible way of talking to someone who happens to not like a game.

Just chill.

He WAS playing it wrong. His statements show absolute ignorance regarding how to play the game. He's a high profile reviewer. He should know better and we are right to criticize.

He calls it basically a D-tier cover shooter. It's not a cover shooter.

He says it has no bullet time. I use bullet time all the time. He didn't even realize it was there, which means he as never using time dodge. The achievement for it even has zero progress.

He says the abilities don't mesh together. That means he didn't try.

Personally, I think he was looking for a reason to dislike it. He likes extreme opinions. I'm just going to disregard his opinions moving forward. His review was embarrassing.

frontieruk

We should of done a check and only fired the lines if you weren't in a narrative object. Hindsight and all that :(.

Surely you guys noticed the bad check pointing for the final showdown???

Other than that thoroughly enjoyed the game and am waiting for my PC code to go down the other routes and try and find the ripples. :)

He WAS playing it wrong. His statements show absolute ignorance regarding how to play the game. He's a high profile reviewer. He should know better and we are right to criticize.

He says it has no bullet time. I use bullet time all the time. He didn't even realize it was there, which means he as never using time dodge. The achievement for it even has zero progress.

Personally, I think he was looking for a reason to dislike it. He likes extreme opinions. I'm just going to disregard his opinions moving forward. His review was embarrassing.

Shhh, we shouldn't criticise reviews incase it hurts their feelings

Introvese

Banned
I don't care if it's not meant to be played like a cover shooter. Not having blind fire or shooting while crouching is dumb. Lazy game design imo.

I don't care if it's not meant to be played like a cover shooter. Not having blind fire or shooting while crouching is dumb. Lazy game design imo.

Re cover:

Yes, Jack will automatically "duck" when near cover, but I don't think that makes the game a cover shooter. At least, not to me. Is *insert another well-known TPS here* a CQC game because you can melee attack characters? It’s one player verb of many. We added the automated (passive) cover system so that Jack doesn’t seem, well, incompetent. Being able to take cover is now an established player verb in third person shooters, I honestly think removing our lite version of it would of annoyed more people than having it.

That said, it does look like we could of done better pushing players out of cover, or encouraging players to use their movement based powers more.

Interesting fact; we actually did have a blindfire / hipfire option in the game for a very long while – to finish it would of cost X (a lot) amount of time and resource and we felt that a: people wouldn’t use blindfire (internal and external testing showed that no one used it) and b: we wanted to spend that resource on something else.

I agree. Very lazy of them to not keep a feature that no-one was using...!

Reminds me of some people who would play Max Payne 3 as a cover shooter. No shit they didn't like it.

Only thing I wish was in Quantum Break is hip firing. (And of course a decent PC port)

SOR5

You guys need to snap out of your "You're playing it WRONG!" bullshit like right now.

That's a terrible way of talking to someone who happens to not like a game.

Just chill.

Normally i'd agree with you but from that clip he really was 'playing it wrong' so to speak
It reminded me of that clip of DSP chasing The End with a shotgun in MGS3

Doesn't change my opinion or affect me, it's a cool game albeit a bit pricey and thats that.

frontieruk

Re cover:

Was the resource coke and hookers, by that point I'm going to assume you needed it, you definately deserved the hookers ;)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Ah, yes, lazy game design. Forget all the other shit that goes on in the game, showing how much effort Remedy put in, they are lazy because they didn't include a feature for the sake of including it.

I've been meaning to ask, what is that woman doing in your avatar?

Introvese

Banned
Ah, yes, lazy game design. Forget all the other shit that goes on in the game, showing how much effort Remedy put in, they are lazy because they didn't include a feature for the sake of including it.

I've been meaning to ask, what is that woman doing in your avatar?
So we giving credit for effort? If that's the case we should never have a issue or complain about any dev. Because every team works hard whether we liked the game or not

And she just taking a pic lol

Matt

Generally I have little regard for "he was playing it wrong!" arguments, because games shouldn't really allow for that. If QB isn't a cover-based shooter, than no one should be able to complete the game playing it as such.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So we giving credit for effort? If that's the case we should never have a issue or complain about any dev. Because every team works hard whether we liked the game or not

And she just taking a pic lol
If you look at how much effort went into every other aspect of the game, the mechanics, the gunplay, the environment, the physics, the visuals, the audio and sound design, the story, the environmental story, the characters, the storytelling...using logic and deduction would tell you that Remedy are not ones to not give their everything when creating something.
Now of course, if you cannot connect those dots, then yes I could see how one can ignorantly claim laziness.

lcap

Man, Im completely taking my time and loving the game but it does need a patch to iron out a few issues.

On Act 2 I had a issue that Jack stuck in falling animation. Restarting checkpoint corrected so no big deal.

On Act 4 once it triggered a stutter the world disappeared and only Black outlines and shadows appeared. Restarting checkpoint didn't resolve. Had to restart the level to correct it.

A few times the AI just bugged and didn't move at all (no, they werent frozen in time).

Is there any chance of a patch to correct the se issues?

TheKeyPit

Banned
Re cover:

Thanks for the insight.

Strootman

Generally I have little regard for "he was playing it wrong!" arguments, because games shouldn't really allow for that. If QB isn't a cover-based shooter, than no one should be able to complete the game playing it as such.

that's like saying gears of war has not weapon variety because "you can finish gears of war by using only the lancer"

that's like saying gears of war has not weapon variety because "you can finish gears of war by using only the lancer"

If someone reviewed a Gears of War game trying to play it like Halo (ignoring cover mechanics, dying a lot out in the open, using melee a lot etc) i'd probably be inclined to tell them to play it properly

Introvese

Banned
If you look at how much effort went into every other aspect of the game, the mechanics, the gunplay, the environment, the physics, the visuals, the audio and sound design, the story, the environmental story, the characters, the storytelling...using logic and deduction would tell you that Remedy are not ones to not give their everything when creating something.
Now of course, if you cannot connect those dots, then yes I could see how one can ignorantly claim laziness.

I would never say Remedy in its entirety is lazy breh. They work hard just like any team. It's just that part of the game it's lacking. This game is too realistic looking not to have something that's in almost every 3rd person shooter. So I guess we will agree to disagree

Matt

Not really, no. It is up to designers to encourage players to use all of the systems at their disposal, and if said systems are supposed to be the heart of the game, using them should be essential.

Jeff reviewed it the way he played it, kinda shitty. It happens. There is a fine line between hand holding in mechanics, and introducing aspects that let people embrace those powers and abilities. If anything, don't take his viewpoint when playing action games and move forward.

I would never say Remedy in its entirety is lazy breh. They work hard just like any team. It's just that part of the game it's lacking. This game is too realistic looking not to have something that's in almost every 3rd person shooter. So I guess we will agree to disagree

Remedy shouldn't to sit there and say "we're making a third-person action shooter, what boxes do we need to arbitrarily tick", they should design the game to what fits with their vision and what makes sense to spend development resources on.

Does anyone's Xbox make noise while playing the game? Kinda like a light chirping or something.

Also, just walking around are all the people supposed to have some kind of motion blur trail?

If someone reviewed a Gears of War game trying to play it like Halo (ignoring cover mechanics, dying a lot out in the open, using melee a lot etc) i'd probably be inclined to tell them to play it properly

That's the thing though, you wouldn't be successful in trying to play Gears that way.

That is not true. When moving around just stop and use time freeze and your are shielded(in "cover") and throw a time bomb and continue moving.
Or you could just do it from cover and would not need to do anything that you are talking about.

Comments here really make me think less of this game. I kind of enjoyed the powers, but the whole sentiment "you are playing it wrong" only emphasizes that developers didn't do good enough job tying everything together.

ElRenoRaven

Re cover:

I think you folks did fine at pushing people to move. You're constantly being flanked. If you stay in one place you're screwed. The only other thing you guys could have done is put a giant neon sign up saying hey stupid keep moving.

How anyone can play this game and think that hiding behind stuff is how it's supposed to play is beyond me. At best ducking is so you can grab a quick breather if you're about to die. The only other thing it's good for is starting a surprise attack by launching a bomb or slow. It's obvious. Hell each time you got a power it showed you how to use it. Those tutorials easily showed people that yea these powers are meant to be chained together and used. He just missed the sign in front of his face and played it by just sitting on the powers and only using them sparingly.

People like to say yea there is no right and wrong way to play a game. That's bullshit. There is. You wouldn't play Gears of War for example like you would quake. Imagine running around that game and instead of using cover you just tried running around like a regular shooter. You'd die a ton and it would suck for you easy being an exception. You could probably get away with playing it that way on that. It would still be your fault because you were playing it wrong. He's doing the equivalent of that by playing this game the way he was.

*Edit*

And in the time it took me to post that I was beaten to my point. OH well. Yea still stands.

Also about that Gears comparison. I didn't really like Gears 1 because I just couldn't get the flow of gameplay and didn't really get the point of enemies being so difficult to kill. There's nothing wrong about the game not working for you. Quantum Break didn't work for Jeff. Get over it. I don't agree with his opinion, but that's the experience that he had and you can't undo it.

People like to say yea there is no right and wrong way to play a game. That's bullshit. There is. You wouldn't play Gears of War for example like you would quake. Imagine running around that game and instead of using cover you just tried running around like a regular shooter. You'd die a ton and it would suck for you. It would still be your fault because you were playing it wrong. He's doing the equivalent of that by playing this game the way he was.

Again, the difference is in Gears the player will fail if they play the game that way. In Quantum break people are being successful when playing the game "wrong". That's ultimately on the devs.

If it's such a wrong way to play the game the average player shouldn't be able to easily do it.

Introvese

Banned
Remedy shouldn't to sit there and say "we're making a third-person action shooter, what boxes do we need to arbitrarily tick", they should design the game to what fits with their vision and what makes sense to spend development resources on.

So how Capcom handled SFV is cool then based on your logic. Capcom should not have to tick every box on a standard fighter. They should spend on what fits their vision and makes sense to spend on development resources.

kpaadet

I guess most have completed the game now so we use the time to shit on a reviewer, because he apparently completed the game in a way your "not suppose to".

Gestault

Or you could just do it from cover and would not need to do anything that you are talking about.

Comments here really make me think less of this game. I kind of enjoyed the powers, but the whole sentiment "you are playing it wrong" only emphasizes that developers didn't do good enough job tying everything together.

If you're playing a game like other games in ways that make it less enjoyable, then I think it's fair to say that's more about the player than the design. Mind you, some game systems aren't fun or interesting even when played as intended. My experience has been that using the stuf in QB is really fun.

So if someone is insisting on playing a game a particular way, and also saying that way isn't fun for them, there's not a whole lot to reasonably say in response. Even more if they're having a discussion on game systems (conceptually) and they aren't aware of some of the mechanics, when those are important to how the package plays in the end.

So how Capcom handled SFV is cool then based on your logic. Capcom should not have to tick every box on a standard fighter. They should spend on what fits their vision and makes sense to spend on development resources.

SFV lacks content/modes that were clearly important to the franchise with a ton of previous entries to pull from, clearly that cost them some sales too. Quantum Break - a new IP, per your complaining lacks one gameplay mechanic that people in their testing both externally and internally didnt even really use, I doubt QB lost a single sale over that.

I agree, Capcom shouldn't arbitrarily tick boxes either, however Street Fighter is a franchise over 20(?) years old, you'd think they would know what people want in a sequel?

Xbudz

Re cover:

I fully agree, that reviewer calling Quantum Break a cover shooter was a red flag to me.
I imagine he was trying to play it like The Division. lol

I really think you guys are missing the point in blaming Jeff...

I really, really, really like Quantum Break and especially its gunfights but I can totally understand why you'd think otherwise. The game does a TERRIBLE job of actually ecnouraging you to use your powers. You spend such a long time just fighting regular enemies that using your powers is almost never really necessary. Ducking behind cover, "casting" a Time Stop here and there and shooting works just fine.

Since the battles are often few and far between, I can totally see how you'd never really get into the flow of things - because for some people, there are just not enough possibilities and not enough time to actually experiment with the powers you have. You get a new one and then don't use it for the next 15 minutes, so you can almost forget you had it in the first place. That's actually something that happened to me: Only at the end of the 4th act I realized I almost never used the shield since I played the game really defensively and thus, never really needed it when hiding behind cover. When I played through the game a second time I had an absolute blast with every single fight (having unlocked every power from the beginning helped, too) and it was fine the first time around, but I can totally understand why and how you'd never get to that point.

When you are first introduced to the game's mechanics, it teaches you that it's a cover shooter and that you should take cover in gunfights. And then it basically wants you to do the polar opposite, without ever telling you so. You have to go out of your way to ignore what the game teached you at the beginning and act like this is actually NOT a cover shooter, even though it still is a cover shooter.

Vanquish had similiar problems, in that it completely failed to teach the player how to engage with its mechanics. In my opinion there is absolutely no reason Quantum Break should have a cover system. It actively betrays what the whole gameplay is about.

No, it doesn't. There is no tooltip to tell you to stick to cover during gunfights. This is the only tooltip about cover that explains it's automatic rather than a button you press. If anyone paid any attention to interviews or gameplay demos or hands-on impressions, they always said that you should be moving and only use cover as a momentary respite to heal.
quantum_break_cover_tooltip_by_digi_matrix-d9yenis.png

Good luck sticking to cover for more than 10 seconds on Hard.

Introvese

Banned
SFV lacks content/modes that were clearly important to the franchise with a ton of previous entries to pull from, clearly that cost them some sales too. Quantum Break - a new IP, per your complaining lacks one gameplay mechanic that people in their testing both externally and internally didnt even really use, I doubt QB lost a single sale over that.

I agree, Capcom shouldn't arbitrarily tick boxes either, however Street Fighter is a franchise over 20(?) years old, you'd think they would know what people want in a sequel?

I feel ya.

But man this game is too realistic looking. It takes me out the game when I have to stand in the line of fire. It looks so dumb to me. I don't like getting shot. But with this system I have to take bullets at times just to shoot back.

Zedox

Uhm, yes. It is their game. People can choose not to like it (and that's fine) but yes, they don't have to "abide by" rules of how a game is "supposed" to be designed. If you are in a creative medium, you will make design choices that others don't agree with, but it is your decision to make. You can change it as you see fit, it is your product.

Now if they take away or change things in their next game...then that expectancy of things will go into gamers mind. Not on a brand new IP.

Zedox

Playing it a second time with your powers and understanding them better is awesome. Throwing out a bunch of time stops, time rush, unload on them fools, time rush again, unload more. So satisfying.

dreamfall

I clipped out the section where he's complaining about the powers and cover system if people don't want to scroll through the 50 minute video.

https://streamable.com/4jg1

Good lord.

This is a fine example of exactly how not to attempt to play it. At all.

As for flow, it's pretty awesome in combat. Time dodge, freezing, throwing down a shield - it reminds me of experimenting with bullet time in Max Payne 1. Trying to make everything look like an incredible choreographed bullet time dance.

My aiming still feels a little bit off, but I damn well feel like a superhero.

Yeah, I would say that it isn't "playing it wrong" more of just choosing the "un-fun method". To each their own.

Ein Bear

Think I'm at the end of the game. I've died about ten times so far.

I've loved the experience but urgh, checkpoints before cutscenes should be banned. Like, you should straight up fail cert if you have one in your game.

Top Bottom