• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

Gator86

I'll post a longer, more detailed commentary later, but fuck, I kind of hate Quantum Break. Every part of it is exceedingly mediocre. I just finished the game on hard in a little over 9 hours and couldn't be happier to be done with it. Definitely unexpected given I just finished Alan Wake and American Nightmare and loved those. Right now, it's my disappointment of the year.

gossi

I'm at act 4 and can't wait to finish the game.. So I can uninstall it. It feels like a game out of time, an Amiga CD32 title with Xbox 360 graphics.

Strootman

I'm at act 4 and can't wait to finish the game.. So I can uninstall it. It feels like a game out of time, an Amiga CD32 title with Xbox 360 graphics.

Serious.gif

pitchfork

Just finished act 4, saving act 5 for tomorrow

Excited to find out where it ends up, but don't want it to end yet!

Having said that, i'm more intrigued by a second playthrough with different choices than any game before it

Incredible game!

Oh wow, I just realized my American Nightmare code was sent to me a month ago on the 17th. Didn't notice because I had a newer message from Xbox about Gigantic.
I hope they didn't send my Alan Wake code yet.. because if they did then I didn't notice and its no longer there.
How long do messages stay saved on Xbox? Kinda lame that they're not saved locally.
Edit: nvm I looked it up. 30 days.
Edit2: performance leaves a LOT to be desired. Guess I'll keep an eye on the PC version for a sale.

Astrates

I'm playing on Xbox and enjoying it all in all. Finding all the emails and little tidbits of information is awesome.

My only complaint so far are the goddamn brighter than the sun lights that seem to be everywhere.

Can you time-dash Heavies? Like, anyone tried it on a Heavy after you unloaded a SMG clip into them? Usually they take two clips of ammo to go down.

garth2000

Just started playing. Does anyone else get a staticy overlay on the screen? It's especially bad in the dark scenes. It's almost like watching TV using an antenna with a bad connection. On Xbox.

Just started playing. Does anyone else get a staticy overlay on the screen? It's especially bad in the dark scenes. It's almost like watching TV using an antenna with a bad connection. On Xbox.

Yup, it's the heavy film grain effect. I don't really notice it now except for the black screens at the end of an act where it's painfully obvious.

I clipped out the section where he's complaining about the powers and cover system if people don't want to scroll through the 50 minute video.

https://streamable.com/4jg1

giphy.gif

wow why the hell would you play it as a cover shooter, in that video he uses 2 powers through the whole gun fight. says he never feels like he mastered the powers, how about using them, as others have said cover is for recovering abit of health then moving, not to park your ass there, you will die staying in one place because the AI is always pushing towards you which i love, always keeping you on your toes. combat revolves around using your powers and moving around the battlefield talk about missing the point.....

SilentRob

I really think you guys are missing the point in blaming Jeff...

I really, really, really like Quantum Break and especially its gunfights but I can totally understand why you'd think otherwise. The game does a TERRIBLE job of actually ecnouraging you to use your powers. You spend such a long time just fighting regular enemies that using your powers is almost never really necessary. Ducking behind cover, "casting" a Time Stop here and there and shooting works just fine.

Since the battles are often few and far between, I can totally see how you'd never really get into the flow of things - because for some people, there are just not enough possibilities and not enough time to actually experiment with the powers you have. You get a new one and then don't use it for the next 15 minutes, so you can almost forget you had it in the first place. That's actually something that happened to me: Only at the end of the 4th act I realized I almost never used the shield since I played the game really defensively and thus, never really needed it when hiding behind cover. When I played through the game a second time I had an absolute blast with every single fight (having unlocked every power from the beginning helped, too) and it was fine the first time around, but I can totally understand why and how you'd never get to that point.

When you are first introduced to the game's mechanics, it teaches you that it's a cover shooter and that you should take cover in gunfights. And then it basically wants you to do the polar opposite, without ever telling you so. You have to go out of your way to ignore what the game teached you at the beginning and act like this is actually NOT a cover shooter, even though it still is a cover shooter.

Vanquish had similiar problems, in that it completely failed to teach the player how to engage with its mechanics. In my opinion there is absolutely no reason Quantum Break should have a cover system. It actively betrays what the whole gameplay is about.

TheKeyPit

Banned
^But not using the powers is like playing CS only with a Glock.
bad example

Regarding cover: Quantum Break doesn't have a cover system for me. It's just an automatic crouch when nearing short objects.

I really think you guys are missing the point in blaming Jeff...

I really, really, really like Quantum Break and especially its gunfights but I can totally understand why you'd think otherwise. The game does a TERRIBLE job of actually ecnouraging you to use your powers. You spend such a long time just fighting regular enemies that using your powers is almost never really necessary. Ducking behind cover, "casting" a Time Stop here and there and shooting works just fine.

Since the battles are often few and far between, I can totally see how you'd never really get into the flow of things - because for some people, there are just not enough possibilities and not enough time to actually experiment with the powers you have. You get a new one and then don't use it for the next 15 minutes, so you can almost forget you had it in the first place. That's actually something that happened to me: Only at the end of the 4th act I realized I almost never used the shield since I played the game really defensively and thus, never really needed it when hiding behind cover. When I played through the game a second time I had an absolute blast with every single fight (having unlocked every power from the beginning helped, too) and it was fine the first time around, but I can totally understand why and how you'd never get to that point.

When you are first introduced to the game's mechanics, it teaches you that it's a cover shooter and that you should take cover in gunfights. And then it basically wants you to do the polar opposite, without ever telling you so. You have to go out of your way to ignore what the game teached you at the beginning and act like this is actually NOT a cover shooter, even though it still is a cover shooter.

Vanquish had similiar problems, in that it completely failed to teach the player how to engage with its mechanics. In my opinion there is absolutely no reason Quantum Break should have a cover system. It actively betrays what the whole gameplay is about.

I understand that everyone plays differently.. but from the very start, I knew this was a game where I got cool powers to mess with time..and as soon as I learned new abilities, I was eager to use them in creative ways. Why would I stay behind cover when I have the ability to flash across the screen and behind my enemies while they are stopped in a time bubble? lol I mean it's quite obvious that the game has a cover mechanic because a 3rd person shooter without one today would be crucified if it didn't, regardless of whether it's mandatory to have or not.

I agree the game only truly forces you to used certain abilities in specific cases, however how could one not understand that that's the boring way to play the game?

If a game gives you options and you choose to play in a specific manner. Then it's really your own fault for not experimenting.

Ein Bear

Up to episode 4 of the live action stuff.

It's a cool idea and all to focus on the side characters, but Burke just fucking sucks so hard. All he does is stomp around getting stroppy about his wife whilst murdering a ridiculous amount of people.

Strootman

Can someone explain me one thing about hatch

so we know that hatch is a shifter, but the game tells you that shifters can only live inside the stutters, so how is that possible for hatch to live in the normal world?

I have to think he's different?

just had a 81mb update on pc anyone know what it does?

also question about the quantum ripples, i missed act 1 ripple went back to get it says watch episode 1 to unlock, watched it still didnt unlock anyone got any ideas?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I clipped out the section where he's complaining about the powers and cover system if people don't want to scroll through the 50 minute video.

figures. him saying the powers dont really stack and flow with combat, then peeking around cover for distance pot shots makes me sad. no wonder he scored it so low, he doesnt get it. this is pretty much why neogaf impressions >>> professional reviews IMO. the skill level of these guys is often so so low. sad. i suppose its also a bit of a failure of the game to not do a great job of teaching you how to play, perhaps even just hints during the lengthy loads. hey player, have you tried chaining time dodges, stops and rushes?"

Hoo-doo

Banned
So this is the thread where people are going to overanalyze the shit out of everything Jeff Gerstmann says or does, right?

malfcn

so we know that hatch is a shifter, but the game tells you that shifters can only live inside the stutters, so how is that possible for hatch to live in the normal world?

Probably his chronon eye drops.

Alfredo

Probably has to do with the eye drops he takes all the time. The game doesn't specifically state what the eye drops are for, but they contain chronon. And the game hints that Hatch might have been a shifter for a very long time, so maybe he found a way to cure the time sickness or whatever it's called.

Nice of Jeff to stick a crater in their metacritic because he couldn't be bothered to learn how to play the game properly (or just didn't want to), jeez.

It might not be so bad if there wasn't the talking which shows him up pretty badly.

Just starting my second play through. Going to collect everything and pick different junction point decisions.

This has the potential to be my favourite ever Remedy game. High praise indeed :)

gossi

Yep, the FMV sections reminded me of Amiga CD32 titles, and graphically the game flips between looking great to looking.. Not so hot.

I finished the game anyhoo and uninstalled. Overall I'd give it 7/10. The shooting sections are fun if you don't use cover, but it doesn't encourage that enough. The cover and cover system should have been totally removed from the game.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Nice of Jeff to stick a crater in their metacritic because he couldn't be bothered to learn how to play the game properly (or just didn't want to), jeez.

It might not be so bad if there wasn't the talking which shows him up pretty badly.
It's baffling how a professional, highly regarded reviewer is ignorant to how much this industry needs innovative mechanics and fresh ideas, and fails to recognize them when they are right in front of him. 99% of the AAA games play it safe with their easy and simplistic mechanics and cater to the players that require hand-holding, Jeff probably just got used to that, having his hand held by the game.
I'll continue to watch his E3 shows but not reviews.

Zojirushi

You guys need to snap out of your "You're playing it WRONG!" bullshit like right now.

That's a terrible way of talking to someone who happens to not like a game.

Just chill.

Yep, the FMV sections reminded me of Amiga CD32 titles, and graphically the game flips between looking great to looking.. Not so hot.

I finished the game anyhoo and uninstalled. Overall I'd give it 7/10. The shooting sections are fun if you don't use cover, but it doesn't encourage that enough. The cover and cover system should have been totally removed from the game.
Is saying you uninstalled a game the new way of saying a game is unremarkable?

You guys need to snap out of your "You're playing it WRONG!" bullshit like right now.

That's a terrible way of talking to someone who happens to not like a game.

Just chill.

A review and videos and other things go out into the wild for people to look at, people see them, play the game and give their own opinions from their experience.

Why should people not do that?

Top Bottom