• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

Zedox

Imo Hatch is the real villain. He was working to sabatoge Monarch the whole time because he knew Paul's plan would actually work. Paul was a pawn, very short sighted. He never realized he was playing against his own rules. It never once occurred to him the CFR could have been a delaying mechanism for the end of time, meaning it would still happen later but Hatch new the lifeboat would work eventually, since no one had been past 2021 to see what happened. Paul screws up.
Hatch for some reason wants the end of time to happen. The note you pick up mentions as much with the whole natural time machine in Africa. I think he knows that you can change time, same as Jack also does now. So I believe his agenda is focusing on keeping the timeline as consistent as possible.

So when they play the "Africa" song...that makes a WHOLE LOT OF SENSE.
Damnit Remedy, so much awesomeness.

The Argus

Having issues syncing data upon fresh boot. If I choose to play offline my save isn't available. Really annoying. If my save is lost I may just return the damn thing.

Hawk269

Last boss was easy shit I'm actually surprised people are having trouble with it. I died a few times but when I realized that you had to outrun his time nuke shit was cake after that.

Honestly should've been a more epic boss fight with the time powers.
You should of spoiler tagged that last part. I am not that far and did not know that. Thanks :(

Ein Bear

Also what chapter did you guys read about hatch?? I think I probably skipped past it but I'm interested in reading it and learning more about him and his powers

You should spoiler that last part.

It comes up in Chapter 5 in a few emails. The main one is just before you enter Paul's office.

You should of spoiler tagged that last part. I am not that far and did not know that. Thanks :(

My bad i kinda added the edit in real quick without thinking I'll go back and spoiler it.

Should probably spoiler my quote so others don't stumble upon it

You should spoiler that last part.

It comes up in Chapter 5 in a few emails. The main one is just before you enter Paul's office.

Thanks

T.O.P

Banned
Act II, part III. Smartglass says five and a half hours.
Eight hour game my ass.

I hardly read documents and stuff but the game got me curious enough to pretty much over analyze everything i see/find

I'm at 9 hours and about to watch the 4th episode of the show :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just finished, how do i check time completion?

loved it by the way. may post more thoughts latter but i loved the story, narrative presentation, gunplay, visuals and audio. i wasnt a huge fan of how broken up actual action sequences were from each other though and wish the world felt more connected, ala alan wake. still, looking forward to the sequel, but after alan wake 2 please!

Gwyn

just finished, how do i check time completion?

loved it by the way. may post more thoughts latter but i loved the story, narrative presentation, gunplay, visuals and audio. i wasnt a huge fan of how broken up actual action sequences were from each other though and wish the world felt more connected, ala alan wake. still, looking forward to the sequel, but after alan wake 2 please!

Go to your profile on xbox one and then check achievements tab
Shows alot of stuff including time played.

Hawk269

Go to your profile on xbox one and then check achievements tab
Shows alot of stuff including time played.
Yeah the achievements in the system menu are impressive. Gives you a lot of detail. You even get a crown if you are amongst the top 3 of your friends for any given thing that is tracked. I have 97 friends playing the game and sadly i have a bronze crown for having the 3rd highest amount of deaths. Lol.

Oh cool.

So I chose Hardline, but a friend of mine chose PR. Even in the gameplay it will bring some differences.

for me Nick was tagging along, and later on it was Beth and him that went to the swimming pool location. But for my friend Nick was never around, another woman was tagging along. Cool stuff.

For these kind of things I'll definitely go for a second playthrough. Is there a new game plus or will we just have to start a new game or just replay the acts via Timeline?

Man the ride is over :(
Great game. Really liked it. The final boss was a bit of a sour note and the gunplay sections are too broken up. Pacing wise it really reminds me of The Order 1886. That said though it's far more successful at merging cinematic moments together but having completed it I do feel like a significant amount of time is dedicated to not playing the game. Because of that your enjoyment really does hinge on being engaged by the story so I can understand reviewers that were just not hooked by the narrative and thus gave it low marks. Overall though really good. Definitely would look forward to another game.

Nowise10

I can see this final checkpoint is going to piss me off

If you're talking about the final boss,
any time the ground turns red, just use the time boost. Shoot enemies, when red pops up, time boost, shoot enemies, repeat.

I was so confused last night doing the boss. Took me almost 2 hours on hard until I realized what was going on.

G_Berry

Banned
Re cover:

Yes, Jack will automatically "duck" when near cover, but I don't think that makes the game a cover shooter. At least, not to me. Is *insert another well-known TPS here* a CQC game because you can melee attack characters? It’s one player verb of many. We added the automated (passive) cover system so that Jack doesn’t seem, well, incompetent. Being able to take cover is now an established player verb in third person shooters, I honestly think removing our lite version of it would of annoyed more people than having it.

That said, it does look like we could of done better pushing players out of cover, or encouraging players to use their movement based powers more.

Interesting fact; we actually did have a blindfire / hipfire option in the game for a very long while – to finish it would of cost X (a lot) amount of time and resource and we felt that a: people wouldn’t use blindfire (internal and external testing showed that no one used it) and b: we wanted to spend that resource on something else.
I think you guys did a pretty good job pushing players out of cover. With a lot of the cover being destructible and the fact enemies would flank, I never stayed in cover long. I used it more to scope out where the enemies were and to reload more than anything else.

It's a fantastic, unique game and the team should be proud of themselves! Metacritic is bullshit anyway ;)

Finished act 2 & episode 2.

It increasingly seems like the show wouldn't work quite as well if you're not collecting all the narrative items in-game. Without those I could definitely see myself feeling it wasn't connected to the game quite enough.

The way the show lines up with the game timing-wise is kind of strange, though, it overlaps in a way that feels kind of inconsistent.

I would be fascinated to know if this particular structure was always the plan, or if the TV end was originally going to be bigger with MS's former entertainment thing. For that matter, I wonder if they ever considered going fully episodic with QB, going between releasing game acts and tv episodes.

If you're talking about the final boss,
any time the ground turns red, just use the time boost. Shoot enemies, when red pops up, time boost, shoot enemies, repeat.

I was so confused last night doing the boss. Took me almost 2 hours on hard until I realized what was going on.

Yeah, I managed to get it after four or five attempts. Wasn't nearly as bad I thought it might be.

Fantastic game, well done to everyone at Remedy. Time to venture into the spoiler thread.

Finished act 2 & episode 2.

It increasingly seems like the show wouldn't work quite as well if you're not collecting all the narrative items in-game. Without those I could definitely see myself feeling it wasn't connected to the game quite enough.

The way the show lines up with the game timing-wise is kind of strange, though, it overlaps in a way that feels kind of inconsistent.

I would be fascinated to know if this particular structure was always the plan, or if the TV end was originally going to be bigger with MS's former entertainment thing. For that matter, I wonder if they ever considered going fully episodic with QB, going between releasing game acts and tv episodes.

I have to imagine the show and structure changed a lot over development. They were never clear on how the show was going to work early on, especially when it was announced way back when. Hell, thinking now about how different the Xbox One was when the game was announced it's still impressive they got some sort of TV in there.

Xbox Entertainment Studios got shut down late 2014, Shawn Ashmore becoming the new hero mid 2015, those two occurrences alone suggest the game would have gone through some changes. Windows 10 being used on all the computers in the show likely means it was all shot in the last 18 months.

There are so many game development stories I'd love to know more about. I'd loved to have seen them take the episodic nature of Alan Wake to the next level. I definitely feel the show could/should have been better integrated. That being said, I still greatly enjoyed the final product.

WadeitOut

Just 100% it. Probably sending it to my good friend Ebay. I will gamefly if we get some sick DLC.

It was cool going back and doing the opposite junctions to see how things change.

0racle

Hey guys,

I would like a bit of clarification on the end of chapter 4 before I continue ...

I have been reading all optional emails etc that I have found and I understand things so far but what happened at the very end? the counter measure was found, and in typical action movie sequence thrown in the air and initiated when it hit the ground. What I dont get is how time seemed to move for jack? he was able to see an echo of beth? being killed by paul. why? I dont get it

WadeitOut

If they manage to implement alot of these mechanics with a new Alan Wake Pacific Northwest motif...I will probably need an IV for hydration.

op_ivy

Just watched the first live action episode.

Do these...get better? It really was barely holding my interest.

i liked all of them. acting and directing wise? no. budget? no. action and tie in to story? yeah.

KorrZ

I was ready to totally cringe at the live action segments, but I also just watched the first one and actually thought it was reasonably well done.

So far the story is the most intriguing part of this game by far.

hawk2025

Just watched the first live action episode.

Do these...get better? It really was barely holding my interest.

Can't say they do.

The stakes becone somewhat higher, but the actors can't carry it. I thought it was underwhelming throughout, save for some of the few parts that involved the main characters from the game

Hey guys,

I would like a bit of clarification on the end of chapter 4 before I continue ...

I have been reading all optional emails etc that I have found and I understand things so far but what happened at the very end? the counter measure was found, and in typical action movie sequence thrown in the air and initiated when it hit the ground. What I dont get is how time seemed to move for jack? he was able to see an echo of beth? being killed by paul. why? I dont get it

Jack gets sent back to 2016 somehow, think Ogawa made a comment about something "anchoring" him there? Just remember, the time egg is fucked.

Paul killed future Beth back in 2010.

arhra

Hey guys,

It's one of those things that's not completely explained, but I believe they touch on it briefly when it flashes back to the interview at the start of Act 5.
Basically Jack got pulled back to 2016 for some reason, although the characters in-game seem as mystified as we are about exactly why/how that happened.

Yes. The first one was easily the worst. Because you really have no context.

Though you do get my Animorphs sweety in those short shorts

Yeah they get much better

i liked all of them. acting and directing wise? no. budget? no. action and tie in to story? yeah.

Can't say they do.

The stakes becone somewhat higher, but the actors can't carry it. I thought it was underwhelming throughout, save for some of the few parts that involved the main characters from the game

Hmm. We'll see what I think of episode 2 I guess.

Strootman

I just found out in the very beginning of act 2 that
when you fall down the alley and the stutter ends, if you stop instead of immediately going in the next room, you can actually listen to Beth and Liam talking the same way as in the tv episode

Didn't notice it before

Hawk269

I just found out in the very beginning of act 2 that
when you fall down the alley and the stutter ends, if you stop instead of immediately going in the next room, you can actually listen to Beth and Liam talking the same way as in the tv episode

Didn't notice it before

There are a lot of little touches like that in the entire game. I know a few people that have rushed a bit through it and missed a lot of the little things like that. Just starting Act 4 and looking forward to playing it again and choosing different things to see how much things change.

Akai__

I'm stuck at Act 5 Part 2:
I'm in an underground garage. There's is a gate I need to open. Instruction is "Obtain The Door Code", but all I see is an Echo of Liam Burke and a soldier, which says: "Lets go see Wade." Nothing else is there.

What am I supposed to do here?

I'm in an underground garage. There's is a gate I need to open. Instruction is "Obtain The Door Code", but all I see is an Echo of Liam Burke and a soldier, which says: "Lets go see Wade." Nothing else is there.

Follow where they go. There are
more echos.

op_ivy

the echo moves to a total of 2 more locations. sprint ahead to the 3rd to make sure you hearthe code

op_ivy

just to be clear...

serene isnt really a bad guy, so to speak, right? he tried to fix the fracture and only resorted to monarch and the lifeboat protocol as a means to survive what he saw as inevitable? hm going back to 1999 and trying to kill william was to protect what he thought was the correct course of action?

I did that like 20 times now. They just disappear and the echo reverts back to the first one, with the mission marker being above them.

odd. perhaps your game is glitched? try to sprint to the second to trigger that before sprinting to the 3rd if you havent already

Akai__

odd. perhaps your game is glitched? try to sprint to the second to trigger that before sprinting to the 3rd if you havent already

Yeah, a game restart fixed it. They never appeared at those positions before. Saw it immediately now. I was really confused.

Thanks.

Y'all were overhyping the difficulty of the final boss. It's just two waves. The hardest part about the boss is avoiding the AoE's. Definitely keeps you on your toes.

Carbine Rifle is the best weapon in the game.

I really wish you could Time Dash heavy enemies, feels like a waste on grunts.

Really crazy ending and post-credits scene. Kind of bittersweet.

painey

Ultimately a good, enjoyable game with a god awful end. The more I think about the game, the more problems I find, so I prefer to just look back fondly at a decent game.

op_ivy

Ultimately a good, enjoyable game with a god awful end. The more I think about the game, the more problems I find, so I prefer to just look back fondly at a decent game.

mind elaborating on the end?

for those tracking this stuff, took me 12 hrs

leng jai

Y'all were overhyping the difficulty of the final boss. It's just two waves. The hardest part about the boss is avoiding the AoE's. Definitely keeps you on your toes.

Carbine Rifle is the best weapon in the game.

I really wish you could Time Dash heavy enemies, feels like a waste on grunts.

Really crazy ending and post-credits scene. Kind of bittersweet.

It's not hard, just poorly designed and annoying.

The Carbine Rifle can't be the best gun with the limited ammo and terrible aiming on Xbone.

It's not hard, just poorly designed and annoying.

The Carbine Rifle can't be the best gun with the limited ammo and terrible aiming on Xbone.

That's why there are ammo caches in every combat scenario, so if you're moving around all the time then ammo shouldn't be an issue. Easier to take heavies down with Carbine.

I'm playing with mouse, so have no problems. Too bad to hear about aiming issues.

RavenHawk

Alright,
I kept Liam alive, and now have to face him in 5-1. Neither he, nor the generator thingy take any damage...how the hell do I clear this level?

Top Bottom