• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

sTiTcH AU

So almost did the final boss on hard first try but got done by the big red wave thing. I then failed the next twenty times by the red floor explodie thing he does. I didn't even notice any of that the first time around lol.

Still didn't finish it, will try again later.

TheKeyPit

Banned
@Remedy
Why is there no reticle when turning hud off? Aiming without is a lot more difficult. I've played through the game on normal with hud on and aim assist off. Now I started on hard with hud off and aim assist off first, but I had to turn aim assist to full, because I didn't hit anything.

leng jai

@Remedy
Why is there no reticle when turning hud off? Aiming without is a lot more difficult. I've played through the game on normal with hud on and aim assist off. Now I started on hard with hud off and aim assist off first, but I had to turn aim assist to full, because I didn't hit anything.

Yep, no HUD should always have an option to leave the cross-hair on. It's hard enough to aim in this game already.

@Remedy
I don't know of games where when you turn the HUD off you can still keep the reticle. It would be a nice concession, though.

Good luck if you found normal hard on the last boss you'll have a hell of a time on hard. I beat the whole game on hard spent about three hours trying to beat the last boss on hard knocked it down to normal and beat it first try. It's just way more frustrating on hard.
I debating doing that myself, atm

sTiTcH AU

I debating doing that myself, atm

On hard it almost seems like you just need to have luck on your side when it comes to the red exploding floors. I have gotten to the very end twice only to be done by the big wave that he does both times. It's not like its very difficult, its just an annoyance which is a shame as it would have to be the worst battle in the game IMO.

I'm dreading the final boss battle already.
I hope I can manage it on normal.

I actually spoiled it for myself slightly by seeing reading comments in here from people saying they hated it, it was awful and it was tough. I went in expecting some kind of multi form crazy last boss, what I got was 3 waves of enemies after which I killed the boss first time, didn't die once.

When I killed the boss I was left really disappointed, achievements started popping and I was like, is that it? I expected something tougher because of the comments.

I won't make that mistake again.

Trup1aya

If I had to change anything it would be the power management system.

At times the action gets so hectic, it's impossible to keep a bead in the enemies, while simultaneously checking the various power meters to know what you have available.

I think a better system would be to have a single "chronon energy meter". Everytime you use an ability, the chronon meter drains a bit. Different abilities would spend a different amount of energy.

When you upgrade abilities, they would either cost less energy, have a larger area of effect, or the effects would last longer.

The meter would, of course, recharge over times

leng jai

Last boss should be easy on normal. Took me about 30 minutes on hard and most of my deaths was from getting randomly killed because I couldn't see the boss' one shot move properly due to there being too much crap on screen.

Strootman

At times the action gets so hectic, it's impossible to keep a bead in the enemies, while simultaneously checking the various power meters to know what you have available.

I think a better system would be to have a single "chronon energy meter". Everytime you use an ability, the chronon meter drains a bit. Different abilities would spend a different amount of energy.

When you upgrade abilities, they would either cost less energy, have a larger area of effect, or the effects would last longer.

But in that case you would be able to use the same power repeatedly and be pretty much overpowered. For example using time shield repeteadly would make you invincible.

This cutscene before the (what I am assuming) final boss is really annoying to keep watching, and skipping seems to take longer to load than watching...

Other than that's it's been pretty good, I wasn't particularly hyped before launch and I liked the show surprisingly

leng jai

But in that case you would be able to use the same power repeatedly and be pretty much overpowered. For example using time shield repeteadly would make you invincible.

True, but the current system needs work. I spent the entire game just guessing when my powers would be recharged.

Trup1aya

No, That's why you have a energy cost. The shield could be set so expensively, that you couldn't use two in a row.

I imagine that the shield would be one of the more expensive abilities, since it's essentially a get out of jail free card.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This cutscene before the (what I am assuming) final boss is really annoying to keep watching, and skipping seems to take longer to load than watching...

"i know"

and one bar would be awful. the nice thing about seperate bars is you can cycle through powers wisely and have them recharged when you complete your cycle. basically, never really running out of powers. i'd typically time blast the opening group of low levels guys, time rush to someone else for a melee, time dodge and shoot a few times, time stop and bullet barrage, time shield, then repeat.

Fuchsdh

Finished on easy, got about 85% of the collectibles. Will go back chapter by chapter and finish that up and then do a hard play through later.

I appreciated that despite being a twisty-time travel story, it never seemed full of itself or *deliberately* opaque just for the hell of it. Far easier to follow this than something like Primer.

Will be interesting to replay it on hard just to see the differences from the branch choices, especially in the in-level items.

op_ivy

Finished on easy, got about 85% of the collectibles. Will go back chapter by chapter and finish that up and then do a hard play through later.

I appreciated that despite being a twisty-time travel story, it never seemed full of itself or *deliberately* opaque just for the hell of it. Far easier to follow this than something like Primer.

Will be interesting to replay it on hard just to see the differences from the branch choices, especially in the in-level items.

sounds like there is honestly very little difference, sadly. still, i'm looking forward to replaying to pick up more of the story throughout

Gestault

Finished my first playthrough last night. Good stuff. The the way the sequence of events comes together by the end is just what you want out of a time travel story. Also, solid Spanish voice acting.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I rented the game based off purely on the first trailer they showed at E3, went into it not knowing much about it...then was surprised to see Ice Man and Little Finger.

This is one of my favorite games in the last few years. Maybe I'm a sucker for a good time travel story but it was fantastic. One of the few video game stories I was really into. Zipping around with the dodge and rush abilities made the gameplay so much fun.

I also had no idea the game's chapters were broken up with a tv show. The show got me even more invested in the lore and was an excellent touch. Even though the lighting of the scenes had that same sterile look that fan made movies and those Halo films have, I still enjoyed it. Normally I'm irritated by long cutscenes but found myself looking forward to each episode.

The game left me hyped for a sequel, Alan Wake 2 and the next season of 12 Monkeys. I'm definitely buying it to replay.

It's pretty rare for me to actually look at the meters, after a while I've memorised the times for each and as long as I vary it up I don't come up against a power that can't be used at the moment.

Moertel

Post game-completion emptiness is real with this one. Amazing game. Act 4....

Missed only ten or so collectibles, but hopefully the junctions make a second playthrough interesting enough.

TV show didn't wow me. Wasn't as connected as I had hoped, yet not enticing enough on its own. Also felt very low quality at times.

ElRenoRaven

Absolutely not. No way at all. That would ruin the game. Having individual pools works great.

sounds like there is honestly very little difference, sadly. still, i'm looking forward to replaying to pick up more of the story throughout

In game nothing but some collectibles. In the show there is some minor variances but yea I'd say that's my only other letdown other then the final boss. I really wanted a lot more variance from the other choices. Still other games don't offer any variance so I'll survive. I've beat it twice and working on time 3 already. lol

No, That's why you have a energy cost. The shield could be set so expensively, that you couldn't use two in a row.

I imagine that the shield would be one of the more expensive abilities, since it's essentially a get out of jail free card.

Nah, because after using time shield you wouldn't have enough energy to chain three powers together after you heal.

The current way is perfect, it encourages you to play around and use every power at your disposal.

You know you can pop a time shield in the middle of a fight, take a second to get your bearings before doing a time rush to melee one guy, time blast two more, dodge a couple of times to get behind a striker and shoot his backpack before laying down a time stop into a barrel to finish off the final guy with a big boom.

It's perfect.

Somnia

So just finished Act 3 and maybe things may fall apart I don't know, but as of right now this is my GOTY easily. The TV show stuff I could do without going forward, but it was still entertaining for sure. So far I really like the story and I hope everyone has been reading all the collectible items because it really adds to it imo.

I wish there were more combat scenarios but this is one fantastic game, Remedy magic at it again. I really hope the game is successful so Remedy gets to do Alan Wake 2 or even Quantum Break 2.

Man no one is playing this in my friends list but me. I hope this doesn't hurt Remedy. I imagine the PC release was added relatively late into development based on how the game was tracking. Now with how bad that sku is doing I really hope they can recoup some costs

Trup1aya

Nah, because after using time shield you wouldn't have enough energy to chain three powers together after you heal.

The current way is perfect, it encourages you to play around and use every power at your disposal.

You know you can pop a time shield in the middle of a fight, take a second to get your bearings before doing a time rush to melee one guy, time blast two more, dodge a couple of times to get behind a striker and shoot his backpack before laying down a time stop into a barrel to finish off the final guy with a big boom.

It's perfect.

It's definately not perfect.

What are you basing the bolded on?

There's no reason they couldn't figure the cost of the abilities, such that after using a time sheild you could still have enough to chain your remaining abilities.

Say the meter had 11 slots. Time sheild could cost 6. Time stop, and time dodge could cost 1. The cost of time rush would depend on how long you hold it. You'd still have enough to pool off a chain of your remaining abilities...

And for added fun, stacking shots on a chronon container could completely refill your meter.

It would lead to more chaining of abilities, because people would have a better grasp of what is still at their disposal, without having to keep an eye on 5 different cool down meters

Somnia

Ha now I'm more worried.
That GameStop DM said the game had almost no traction at all and MS was barely promoting it even in store.
They really need some challenge room DLC for this. All I want is to just have wave after wave of enemies.

I don't help out at GameStop even part time anymore, but when I last worked in Feb for a shift QB only had 9 reserves at the store I was at. Not HORRIBLE in this day in age for GameStop on exclusives (Uncharted 4 had around 20) as pre-ordering is not what it use to be, but it was not impressive that's for sure.

op_ivy

Ha now I'm more worried.
That GameStop DM said the game had almost no traction at all and MS was barely promoting it even in store.
Just a huge bummer.

They really need some challenge room DLC for this. All I want is to just have wave after wave of enemies.

american nightmare style arcade mode please!

TheKeyPit

Banned

Other than that's it's been pretty good, I wasn't particularly hyped before launch and I liked the show surprisingly

Reading these comments I thought that I had to wait like forever when skipping the cutscene after I died once, but it loaded for like 10 seconds and I was ready to fight.(external drive)

True, but the current system needs work. I spent the entire game just guessing when my powers would be recharged.

I'm on my second playthrough with hud off. This is where the fun begins. You have to manage everything in your head there :D

op_ivy

There's no reason they couldn't figure the cost of the abilities, suxh that after using a time sheild you could still have enough to chain your remaining abilities.

Say the meter had 11 slots. Time sheild could cost 6. Time stop, and time dodge could cost 1. The cost of time rush would depend on how long you hold it. You'd still have enough to pool off a chain of your remaining abilities...

but you'd still get to a point, mid fight, where you've drained everything and have to hide and wait. the current system you can keep going as long as you manage them wisely without ever really waiting for powers to recharge. i will add though that the UI for the powers could be improved. perhaps splitting the more defensive bars on one side and the offensive ones on the other would make tracking them a bit easier. there could even be better color coding with them, green full (which would tell you you have three dashes), yellow (2), orange (1), and red (0). but one bar would be a massive step back

What are you basing the bolded on?

There's no reason they couldn't figure the cost of the abilities, such that after using a time sheild you could still have enough to chain your remaining abilities.

And for added fun, stacking shots on a chronon container could completely refill your meter.

It would lead to more chaining of abilities, because people would have a better grasp of what is still at their disposal, without having to keep an eye on 5 different cool down meters

But then you just spam dodge and time stop, with no need to utilise other abilities.

Right now I know I can go:

Time blast > Shield > Dodge x 3 > Rush > Time Stop

and at the moment I finish stacking bullets on top of the Time Stop I know my shield has recharged.

With your system you have a point where you have no meter left for any abilities. The current system ensures that no matter how many enemies the game throws at you, you will always have at least one or two powers available to get you out of a jam and means you can always stay on the move.

aravuus

I kinda feel bad asking this right after Bruce's post above me, but how fast do Xbone games usually drop in price? I love time travel stories and the positive comments are making me really excited, but I'm not a massive TPS guy so dropping 60-70 euros for something like this is... Well, I might end up doing it out of pure hype, but I'd rather pay like 30 or less.

american nightmare style arcade mode please!

Bro Yes!!!

Good grief, why is MS marketing always so cringe worthy? I mean, that twitter cover pic...

Greenberg is the worst. Him and Nelson come off as skeezy car dealers to me.
Thank goodness for Phil

I kinda feel bad asking this right after Bruce's post above me, but how fast do Xbone games usually drop in price? I love time travel stories and the positive comments are making me really excited, but I'm not a massive TPS guy so dropping 60-70 euros for something like this is... Well, I might end up doing it out of pure hype, but I'd rather pay like 30 or less.

Its $47 on Amazon.

Somnia

It'll probably drop decently quick, but I don't know much about European price drop time frames.

It is/was already $47.99 on amazon earlier.

Trup1aya

but you'd still get to a point, mid fight, where you've drained everything and have to hide and wait. the current system you can keep going as long as you manage them wisely without ever really waiting for powers to recharge. i will add though that the UI for the powers could be improved. perhaps splitting the more defensive bars on one side and the offensive ones on the other would make tracking them a bit easier. there could even be better color coding with them, green full (which would tell you you have three dashes), yellow (2), orange (1), and red (0). but one bar would be a massive step back

They could work around that issue. an example I gave in my edit was that stacking shots on chronon containers would refill the meter. Or Jack could get energy from dispatching enemies who are wearing stutter proof gear.

Anything to avoid the confusion of having multiple meters, that are all tiny, and draw attention away from the action.

They could work around that issue. an example I gave in my edit was that stacking shots on chronon containers would refill the meter. Or Jack could get energy from dispatching enemies who are wearing stutter proof gear.

Anything to avoid the confusion of having multiple meters, that are all tiny, and draw attention away from the action.

They're really own there to teach you how the cool downs work; we envisaged most players would learn the cool downs after prolonged use rather than use the HUD. :)

Jack was in an emo band (along with Sam Lake)

quantum_break_emo_band_by_digi_matrix-d9yji3w.png

Trup1aya

They're really own there to teach you how the cool downs work; we envisaged most players would learn the cool downs after prolonged use rather than use the HUD. :)

I hope I can get to that point, I'm at what I think is the last boss battle, playing on hard, and I'm not quite that proficient.

Pull a sweat chain off, drop some bodies, then go to start another chain, only to realize that I hadn't waited long enough since my last two time dodge's to do what I wanted to do. Then, i gotta check the HUD, to find a decent plan B.

I know, I know 'git gud', but I wouldn't be surprised if others shared this frustration.

Anyway, this is probably my only gripe with this game... It's probably my GOTY, maybe even game of the gen.

Top Bottom