• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

Just finished the game. Loved it. Wished there was more combat, or a horde mode.

Went to do new game +. Didn't realize new game would wipe my original play through.

ARGGHHHH!

Any way to recover? I don't want to have to hunt down the chron. points again.

dugdug

Banned
Yo. What the fuck is with the lens flare in this game? I can hardly look at the screen without it literally hurting my eyes. And I'm getting legit blinded during this last boss battle.

dt2

Banned
Just finished the game. Loved it. Wished there was more combat, or a horde mode.

Went to do new game +. Didn't realize new game would wipe my original play through.

ARGGHHHH!

Any way to recover? I don't want to have to hunt down the chron. points again.

Nope, unfortunately from what I've heard starting a new game wipes your save. On your current save you can use the timeline though and it kind of acts as a new game+ since you'll have your upgrades (once you actually get the power) and all your previous collectibles are saved.

EBE

Maybe? What's the glitch? It's literally unbearable.

absolutely blinding light? the entire screen goes white? quite the game, back out to your dash, and close the game entirely (pressing start over the game tile and selecting quit).

this should fix that glitch

dugdug

Banned
absolutely blinding light? the entire screen goes white? quite the game, back out to your dash, and close the game entirely (pressing start over the game tile and selecting quit).

this should fix that glitch

Sounds about right. I'll give that a shot, thanks.

jet1911

just to be clear...

serene isnt really a bad guy, so to speak, right? he tried to fix the fracture and only resorted to monarch and the lifeboat protocol as a means to survive what he saw as inevitable? hm going back to 1999 and trying to kill william was to protect what he thought was the correct course of action?

That's how I interpreted it. IIRC he mentions a couple of time in the game that he tried to change things a number of time but in the end the End of Timd was always happening so in his mind the Lifeboat Protocal was the only logical thing to do.

Finished the game. Loved it from start to finish. I really liked the pacing of the game, there was never too much gunfight or explorations in a row so it never got boring to shoot people in the face or read emails and marvel at the world Remedy build. I loved every Fracture. Walking around the world in a frozen state never got old. One of the best game I've plyed this year, great job Remedy.

PrinceKee

If it's what I'm thinking of, you throw a time bubble over it, and stack a shit ton of bullets on it.

Time bubble is RB? I was near one when getting shot by enemies and used a bubble and it didn't blow up. I've cleared the area of enemies so how do I go about breaking it now?

I said this once already in this thread, there are simply not enough gifs in here.

I didn't really record anything. Will do in second playthrough. Effects!
9xEQ0jo.gif

This game is reminding me a lot of Bioshock Infinite, both in the way its combat is often misunderstood and not experienced "optimally" by some players, as well as the way the connective tissue of its plot is relegated to audio logs / emails that a large percentage of players won't experience. I'm in love with the game so far (A3P1 / 45% completion) but I can also easily understand why someone might not care for it.

Edit: I'm just going to tag all of this just in case, but I have questions regarding ties with Alan Wake, as well as the involvement of certain bands.
So I already know there's no Poets of the Fall music in this, which is a shame, but I like that there are so many references to the Old Gods of Asgard. Do we know why there's no POTF music, though? Hopefully no falling out, or "they just got too big" stuff going on?

Also, so we have Old Gods being a band, as well as Night Springs being a TV show, but we also see people playing the Alan Wake game... do we know how everything relates to each other yet? So Max Payne is the books Alan wrote, but Alan is to QB... what, exactly?

leng jai

This game is reminding me a lot of Bioshock Infinite, both in the way its combat is often misunderstood and not experienced "optimally" by some players, as well as the way the connective tissue of its plot is relegated to audio logs / emails that a large percentage of players won't experience. I'm in love with the game so far (A3P1 / 45% completion) but I can also easily understand why someone might not care for it.

Infinite's combat is awful, this is better for sure.

wildemu

Neo Member
I just beat the game and picked my junction choices organically (no spoilers). I was wondering if it is worth going back and seeing the other half in terms of level design and encounter changes? I can't say I really enjoyed my whole time through (story lost me half-way), but I'd like to experience any levels I may have missed. If it's just the same level environment but with different side characters, then i don't think it'd be worth it. I wasn't really a fan of the live episodes either (felt cheesy) so I wouldn't care about missing those.

EBE

I just beat the game and picked my junction choices organically (no spoilers). I was wondering if it is worth going back and seeing the other half in terms of level design and encounter changes?

levels are the same, encounters are identical

Beat the game. Final time says 10.5 hours, and I wasn't rushing. That said, the game felt the right length for what it was. I think the balance of gameplay to story is waaaaaaay off though. I thought the game was insanely fun to play around with the powers, but I feel like 75% of my time was spent listening to talking, walking through bland environments, reading the e-mails that everyone in this city apparently leaves open when they go home for the day, and watching the tv show. I couldn't really get in a flow of battle because there were huge time gaps between fights, and the fights themselves were over so quickly.

What were they thinking with that final encounter?
Instakill that checkpoints you before a cutscene that requires a huge load before you can retry at the beginning of the encounter. By my second death, I was soured on the game and just wanted it to end. The ending was very disappointing too. Anticlimactic.

The story......I found completely average. The characters were bland. The main character had zero personality. The plot was serviceable. If it was a movie, I'd say it was ok. Since game plots are usually worse than ok, I'd say it's above average for a game. I give them props for putting so much detail into the plot with the endless backstory in the e-mails etc which gave the rather basic plot some richness. But someone PLEASE shut the NPCs up when I'm reading a 10 page e-mail!!! So annoying.

The tv show bored me out of my mind. I had to get up and move around while I was watching it because I was restless. I like the IDEA of it, but watching the villain's bland thug go home to his girlfriend did nothing for me. And Charlie is the worst actor I've seen in anything in a long time.

This is becoming too negative, and I did enjoy the game, so I will end with what I liked. The game looked great. The special effects were terrific. The few set pieces like the train and the bridge were epic and memorable. The times where you zip around just wasting everyone with your time powers are simple giddy fun. If I had to score it, I'd give it a 7.5. The story was 6/10, the gameplay was 8/10 (would be 9 if there was more of it) but I value gameplay more than story so I'll bump it a bit up from the middle ground of those scores. There are worse flaws a game can have than leaving me wanting more :)

Heh, of course they have (song)
Paramore - Now

Edit: The Paul junction decisions continue to be kind of cool but also strange on a narrative level. The first one felt weird to me since I didn't yet know the character well enough to know what decision he'd make; in junction 3,
the audience actually knows more than he does, so I don't even know why they would leave the decision of which person he would trust up to us when we already know which one has betrayed him
. I've found myself making decisions at these moments simply because they're not the ones most people would choose (and it's worked out that way statistically so far), not because they "feel right," as neither have.

This comes off sounding more negative than it's meant to. The junctions aren't bad, they're just... odd. But I'm still invested in the story overall. Starting Episode 3 now.

SlickVic

Not sure if I ran into a bug with the Will Joyce diaries. For Diary 2 it says to collect his belongings in Act 2 Part 2. I don't see anything online suggesting this is a miss-able collectible so I'm assuming it's just part of the progression. And yet I finished this level and the diary remains locked. Not quite sure what's going on.

The Argus

Welp I lost my save. Earlier today it was unable to sync data so I chose to play offline. To my surprise only the New Game option existed. Turned it off and tried again tonight, no syncing issue this time around but my save is gone. Xbox Live backup is only 5KBs and also contains no progress or option settings when redownloaded.

I was only at Act 2 part 2 but I'm still pretty pissed. Has this happened to anyone else?

TheKeyPit

Banned
^I've seen some tweets on twitter about that.

---------

I'll create a lot of gifs when I start my second playthrough, but first I'm going to finish act 5 right now.

dugdug

Banned
Took me 13 hours to get the 1000Gs. Pretty disappointing game, all in all. Hope they get to make Alan Wake 2, cause that's clearly the game they wanted to make (considering it's referenced a shitload of times) rather than this seemingly uninspired adventure.

It has some neat ideas, for sure, and, on the occasion you had enough enemies to get a good firefight going, there's some brief fun to be had. But, man...the last thing I expected to say about a Remedy game was that it was mostly boring and unremarkable in every way. Hope they can get their groove back with whatever comes next.

dreamfall

Just beat it on Normal with all the collectibles, thinking of doing a Hard run - maybe on PC when they give us the codes!

I heartily enjoyed the combat- I just wish there was more of it! Felt really like an evolution of bullet time - science fiction isn't particularly my cup of tea, but the narrative kept me intrigued throughout. It's Remedy, and they did a hell of a job providing backstory on what was going on with the world they created!

Really felt like the flow of combat was what I loved most - weaving in and out of time dodges, shielding to slow everything down, freezing time - it just felt right!

dreamfall

New page question also, but if I start replaying a chapter in the Timeline on Hard instead of New Game does that count for the achievement? Or do I need to restart a new game selecting the difficulty there?

I think it would have been really cool if the TV show centred around Beth Wilder. That way you could still have it be about Monarch, but also be about a character we care about.

finally was able to beat it. The last fight in the game was a pain in the ass, and I was playing on normal. Took me like an hour to beat. I am not seeing why people hated the ending so much, I actually think its one of the better ones i have seen recently.

Before I proceed, all I do to start a "new game +", is go into timeline and just start from the beginning right? I want to play on hard now.

dt2

Banned
finally was able to beat it. The last fight in the game was a pain in the ass, and I was playing on normal. Took me like an hour to beat. I am not seeing why people hated the ending so much, I actually think its one of the better ones i have seen recently.

Before I proceed, all I do to start a "new game +", is go into timeline and just start from the beginning right? I want to play on hard now.

Yes but I don't know if you can change the difficulty if you go through the timeline. I just started my hard playthrough as well but I started an entirely new game (which starts you on a clean slate) since I didn't spend too much time finding the collectibles anyway.

Yes but I don't know if you can change the difficulty if you go through the timeline. I just started my hard playthrough as well but I started an entirely new game (which starts you on a clean slate) since I didn't spend too much time finding the collectibles anyway.

I just got out of the credits and am looking at the timeline. If I click on Act 1 Part 1, it asks me what difficulty I want to play on. I can choose hard, but I am not sure if it will count toward the Hard difficulty achievement, or if it has to be from a clean slate.. Im going to give it a go and see

madmackem

Good luck if you found normal hard on the last boss you'll have a hell of a time on hard. I beat the whole game on hard spent about three hours trying to beat the last boss on hard knocked it down to normal and beat it first try. It's just way more frustrating on hard.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I finished the game. It took me 16 hours; I tried to find all collectibles, but I missed some. Boss was easy after I died once and knew how big the area of the attack was. The ending is that typcial "I want more of this game"-end. Better ending than Alan Wake.

I started the game again on hard with the timeline. It's cool to play this after knowing everything; lots of stuff makes additional sense now.

not so special gifs:
NOtwLfm.gif

YcD1dvI.gif

Top Bottom