• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

République |OT| Episode 2 Now Available

cvxfreak

Chapter One really captures that classic RE feel for me in terms of progression, level layout and reading files found throughout the environment. I love it.

tomedo

Ok time for me to move from complaining about the kickstarter fulfilment to talking about the game. Took me about 20 minutes for the gameplay to click but once it did I've been loving the game! Great atmosphere and music.

Kickstarter extra Manifesto (strategy guide) is really unique looking and its clearly a work of someone who cares and not just some random brady guide screenshot collection.

BBboy20

So, the bright future of AAA iOS games won't be fully fulfilled because of Apple? Will Camouflaj still pursue making iOS games despite knowing how much Apple cares about gaming (which is a funny realization after everyone talking about the company making their own gaming machine)? Google has a much more open mobile OS but they're screwing everyone over at YouTube.

Every major corporation seems to be fucking a large group of people in particular businesses. Just seems like the spotlights are happening in a consecutive fashion recently.

numble

So, the bright future of AAA iOS games won't be fully fulfilled because of Apple? Will Camouflaj still pursue making iOS games despite knowing how much Apple cares about gaming (which is a funny realization after everyone talking about the company making their own gaming machine)? Google has a much more open mobile OS but they're screwing everyone over at YouTube.

Every major corporation seems to be fucking a large group of people in particular businesses. Just seems like the spotlights are happening in a consecutive fashion recently.
It's doing well on the sales charts, which is especially very good for this time of year. I don't think they were saying the future would be bright because it is a Kickstarter.

And the good sales are probably because Apple featured Republique as one of the headline banners on the App Store, even though they don't care about gaming.

Mrbob

Got my code today, started the game. It seems alright except anyone else having a tough time trying to find battery charge stations? Kind of annoying with these camera angles I'm having a hard time finding them. Out of battery power right now and I'm in an area right before upgrading to Omni 1.0 and I can't find a damn charging station so I can open a door.

Mrbob

I've scouted this whole area, I seriously can't find a charging station. I can't go back either. I'm stuck. I give up for now.

Edit singsingwatdafuk.gif The door I couldn't access due to not having any battery power just unlocked for me. Now I can keep playing!

Just finished chapter one, very glad I kickstarted this, has been a good fun experience. I can see subsequent chapters being quite a bit more complicated, although there's a lot you can do in this one if you want to.

d00d3n

Anyone who bought this who owns both ipad air and gen 4? Is the game gimped on gen 4 or does it look the same?

I am thinking of buying the game, but I might wait for pc if the gen 4 version has issues.

Anyone who bought this who owns both ipad air and gen 4? Is the game gimped on gen 4 or does it look the same?

I am thinking of buying the game, but I might wait for pc if the gen 4 version has issues.

Looked fine when I tested it on an iPad 4 yesterday. Air obviously gets a performance boost but plays great on both.

border

How does this run on iPhone 4?

Someone in this thread said it was "near unplayable". I find that a little hard to believe, but then again this does seem like the year that the iPhone 4 is starting to look really long in the tooth.

I have an iPhone 4, but I can't test it out since the game requires iOS7 and I don't want to upgrade my OS.

JohngPR

I've scouted this whole area, I seriously can't find a charging station. I can't go back either. I'm stuck. I give up for now.

Edit singsingwatdafuk.gif The door I couldn't access due to not having any battery power just unlocked for me. Now I can keep playing!

The rooms where you can buy upgrades (and where they take you if you get caught) have a battery station in them. Forgot what they are called in-game.

Performance is generally okay on my iPod 5, but camera switching is just a bit too jarring and there has been one room in particular that performance dipped in strongly for camera movement.

Took me about 15 minutes to get settled into the game, but quite enjoying it since. Looks good and interested in the story side of it. Once you're in control and not being pulled to certain cameras etc the gameplay loop is pretty smooth.

The game is a bit more light hearted than I expected actually, the pick pocket items and more so the tutorial guy detract from the serious tone and mysterious world, in my opinion. I think I'd prefer he weren't in it. Why doesn't he help Hope if he's conveniently aware of everything we're doing?

Between this, finishing Zelda and getting a Christmas Vita I'm going to be jumping around a lot game wise.

Jubern

How does this run on iPhone 4?

Someone in this thread said it was "near unplayable". I find that a little hard to believe, but then again this does seem like the year that the iPhone 4 is starting to look really long in the tooth.

I have an iPhone 4, but I can't test it out since the game requires iOS7 and I don't want to upgrade my OS.

I'm the one that said that. The experience just isn't enjoyable: sound crackling all the time, terrible framerate, lag and very long long times.

Eusis

Yeah, iPhone 4's been kind of creaky for awhile, especially with iOS 7. I just expect anything to either not work or may as well not work unless it's low end.

putermcgee

A few things:

1. You can't "work harder with Apple". Apple is a black box. They have no department waiting eagerly to help out developers. EA themselves cannot get Apple to up their gift code limit. As much as I like iOS as a platform, they are basically like Youtube in this regard: "either get with our rules or get out".

The most obvious example of Apple's fair, but stiff approach is their bug database. You can submit bugs to Apple regarding iOS, OSX, etc. They will tell you the resolution (i.e.: solved, duplicate, as designed) but developers have no access to the list so they can't tell if a bug was already filed, what the actual fix was, or if that fix is ever coming.

2. In theory, IAP (such as the season pass) is a lot easier to fix because it's just about setting a permissions flag. But not explaining that up front was such an obvious mistake.

3. As explained, it's absolutely possible to have multiple account regions on your device. As someone who has lived in multiple countries I have done this for years. A bit of a pain at times for updates, but it does work. The only problem is - just like with PSN/XBL - you need a regional gift card or credit card to put money on it.

4. Yeah, you would think Apple would solve the whole thing, particularly given the power of Kickstarter these days. But if there's anything we've learned about them over the years, it's that games are just another genre of app. :/

And this is why you need to email their support. I'm pretty sure Camouflaj would refund you the exact amount. They have been nothing but helpful in that regard.

As a backer, I've been very pleased with Camouflaj. They've had lots of detailed updates and hours of podcasts about all aspects of the game's development.

To make up for the iOS fulfillment delays, they have granted digital versions of the soundtrack and part of the guidebook to all backers. They've also started to add behind the scenes videos and they promise more to come.

Camouflaj was apparently given bad info by apple. Now they have workers and volunteers spending all day manually entering iOS codes. They appear to have done everything in their power to rectify the mistake.
I feel like these should be mentioned again for anyone who doesn't bother to read more than a page back. People who are skeptical or downright flippant about how they thing they've been screwed are making judgements based on assumptions and conjecture.

As for the iOS 7 requirement, Apple added Open GL ES 3.0 support in iOS7, and many games have been updated to take advantage of it. It's very possible that to make Republique look and run as well as it does, they have done the same. They are dealing with strict memory constraints on the platform, and it's surprising they're even supporting some older models.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just think it's weird that they didn't figure this out ages ago, instead trusting someone that this would all work out in the end.

I don't know if they could just make accounts in every single region iOS is supported in and then give out codes that way, or what, but offering refunds which may or may not come through is kind of a last minute fix they probably shouldn't have had to resort to.

I don't know if they could just make accounts in every single region iOS is supported in and then give out codes that way,

As explained, it's absolutely possible to have multiple account regions on your device. As someone who has lived in multiple countries I have done this for years. A bit of a pain at times for updates, but it does work. The only problem is - just like with PSN/XBL - you need a regional gift card or credit card to put money on it.

Now they have workers and volunteers spending all day manually entering iOS codes.

*pours drink*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are they actually just buying iTunes cards, then manually gifting the game to people by buying it each time? That's "amazing".

And heck, at that point, why not just import some foreign iTunes cards and gift the game that way? Aren't they in Seattle? At the very least they should be able to get Canadian iTunes cards easily.

border

I'm the one that said that. The experience just isn't enjoyable: sound crackling all the time, terrible framerate, lag and very long long times.

To clarify, I wasn't doubting your honesty or integrity.....it just seemed unbelievable to me to think that they would ship a game that isn't optimized for one of the most popular iOS platforms.

If it's that bad on iPhone 4 they will be looking at a good number of less-than-happy backers.

Eusis

To clarify, I wasn't doubting your honesty or integrity.....it just seemed unbelievable to me to think that they would ship a game that isn't optimized for one of the most popular iOS platforms.

If it's that bad on iPhone 4 they will be looking at a good number of less-than-happy backers.
I suppose I can't underestimate this, but I can't help but wonder why they expected better. Should've just picked PC really.

putermcgee

Are they actually just buying iTunes cards, then manually gifting the game to people by buying it each time? That's "amazing".

And heck, at that point, why not just import some foreign iTunes cards and gift the game that way? Aren't they in Seattle? At the very least they should be able to get Canadian iTunes cards easily.
You can't gift an app with gift card money.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The è makes this read really hard to ctrl+f if you're not aware of it.

Is there any way to invert the camera-scrolling, like the other parts of the iOS interface?

lol new kickstarter update. seems like its been hell for the past few days. They are gonna refund international folks using paypal now (can't through amazon because their ks is a year old).

Do not buy season pass ks folks. they will get you it before eps 2 somehow.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Paypal? Dear god. lol
I suppose I prefer this to "hey guys, make a US account and we'll gift it to that account for you"? I dunno man.

Omikaru

PayPal? Oh boy.

I guess I'll just funnel that money back into Steam. It'll be spent there at some point or another this month.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
I'm nervous I've hit a bad bug. I'm in the room with the body scanner and I can no longer move Hope. I get the red circle with the line through it no matter where I click. I've reloaded the game and have the same issue. Can anyone tell me if this is a bug or am I just missing something here?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What I don't get about these survey's is them asking us if we really want what we paid for/kickstarted. If the answer was no I wouldn't be taking theses surveys to get my code. I'm excited to play the game, but a bit underwhelmed with how this whole thing has been handled.

Yeah I seriously had to read the question a couple of times on the first survey to understand that there is actually a question that asks you if you really want the product you've paid for.

border

I'm stuck. The game's waypoints have lead me to a door that needs a fingerprint scan to open. I'm not sure what I am supposed to do here. Any hints?

Also, I have no idea how (if at all) Apple/iOS handles game saves across multiple devices. Are there cloud saves? If I mainly play through on my iPad Mini, can I pick up where I left off on my iPhone?

I'm stuck. The game's waypoints have lead me to a door that needs a fingerprint scan to open. I'm not sure what I am supposed to do here. Any hints?

You have to scan the fingerprint object in the big room with the all computer monitors (the room before you enter the atrium near the beginning of the game.) It's tucked away in the back.

jamsy

The game runs like complete shit on my iPhone 4.

I played it for about 20 minutes, and I really can't take it anymore. Will wait for PC version I guess...I used an iPhone 4 when I backed this, but have long since switched to Android, and have no intention back. So that sucks, but like someone above said, it's just no fun dealing with the horrific load times, framerate, lengthy pauses everywhere you look, etc.

Maybe I can send them an email and ask if I can switch to the PC version? I only pledged $10...was the PC version more expensive?

The game runs like complete shit on my iPhone 4.

I played it for about 20 minutes, and I really can't take it anymore. Will wait for PC version I guess...I used an iPhone 4 when I backed this, but have long since switched to Android, and have no intention back. So that sucks, but like someone above said, it's just no fun dealing with the horrific load times, framerate, lengthy pauses everywhere you look, etc.

Maybe I can send them an email and ask if I can switch to the PC version? I only pledged $10...was the PC version more expensive?

$20.

Myz

Neo Member
This is the first game that has actually pulled me into hours of iOS gameplay. Definitely worth the $5 and then some

Jubern

I want to play this so bad ahah. I'm waiting for my visa to be renewed (any day now) before I can get a new carrier plan with a 5S... Come on Japan!

I've started to delve into the bonus materials in the meantime. Manifesto is very interesting and I'm getting started with the part 0 of the Making-of.

border

Having to swipe to move cameras is just maddeningly tedious. I don't understand why they couldn't do this with the gyroscope, or why you can't move the camera on a diagonal.

LiK

Loving the game so far. I love that being captured is just a checkpoint thing. Not frustrating.

Also couldn't help but peek at the credits for my name, hehehehehe

sikkinixx

Just sat down and played 50% according to the counter.

Really cool game. Looks great (except up close... Dem textures) and it gives off a total MGS vibe, especially the colour palette. Love the music and voice work so far as well.

Controls are about the only thing bugging me a bit (big surprise for an iOS game...) but it's nice that getting caught is barely a set back. Glad I backed this even though I had to end up buying it anyway because of international stuff. I appreciate the lengths they've gone through and won't spaz out over a few cents in sales tax.

really bumming me out that i can't listen to any of the directors commentary because i'm waiting for KS season pass thing... but anyhow, finally got around to playing this a bit last night.

REALLY digging it.

Although its a bit confusing locking/unlocking doors. i feel like there needs to be an animation or something. Often i forget to get out of omnivision mode and want fate to go through a door but accidentally lock it wasting battery.

also, shit gets really wonky trying to escape when discovered with the kinda sudden camera changes.

There really needs an option to turn off auto camera switches. Probably a limitation with how the game is designed, but its quite easy to get disoriented.

Vyer

Yeah, I am enjoying this a lot. Reporting from iOS thread because I forgot their was an OT:

I am enjoying what I've played of Republique so far. Good controls that use smart decisions with your character's AI so that you don't have to overly micromanage a touch screen, good production values, lots of collectibles (though I wouldn't have been able to put in enough kickstarter money to get myself in the game, it's still a cool touch) and I like the concept used to control the game world (and how it uses an upgrade system). Really nice job.

Just finished Episode 1.

- Man, the music is great. So is the voice acting, really, but the title theme is one of those tracks that's instantly identifiable.

- Graphics are also great; about as good as you can expect on iOS with Unity short of becoming a 1v1 sword game. Runs super smooth on my iPad Air. iPhone 5 also seems solid; a few frameskips and longer loadtime, but smooth once stuff loads.

- I do agree that camera controls are tedious at times. Diagonal controls might help though sometimes it seems like the Cameras just have different ranges/speeds of movement. Some UI to help spatially understand how far you can turn in a direction would be helpful.

- Definitely need UI to say whether a vent is locked or unlocked (right now there's no way to tell that I could recognize)

- UI feels like it's only using 2x assets instead of 4x, but maybe that's just me. Certainly the cartridges are not antialiased but that could be on purpose.

- My biggest professional criticism (as a campaign designer) is simply the skill purchasing. There just isn't a compelling economy in this game yet; the map design is super forward thinking but skills just seems entirely upfront. Maybe episode 2 fleshes that out.

- Probably 50 other minor issues that mostly only UI and campaign designers would notice.

Overall this feels like a great first stab at a game that is truly some sort of new melding of MGS/Biohazard/Siren. The rough spots can be fixed given enough time and thought, but the mechanics are great, the story is great, and it really fits the platform. Really interested to see how controls are rethought for PC. And even if it was on 3DS or Vita or something other than iOS, it still feels like a vital "fresh take" franchise that we need to see in general.

i'm more curious what the hell controller controls are like, because this game does support them.

PC is simple, modifier key + mouse to move camera, otherwise click to move, interact etc.

Is any of the upgrades worth getting, seems like only the distraction has some gameplay implications.

Is there anything of note stealing from the guards? Or are they all just reviews of ios games?

Ovek

7Member7
I found it to be very liner but saying that I did really like it. Ha even one of the classic game posters you can find made me buy Ridiculous Fishing.

I did think ep1 was far to short though, I was only really getting in to it and bam game over and a IAP screen for the season pass.

Is there anything of note stealing from the guards? Or are they all just reviews of ios games?

At the moment screwdrivers and p-spray.

Top Bottom