• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiata Stories announced (Tri-Ace's New big RPG project)

neo2046

This week's Famitsu has covered 10 pages of Square-Enix and Tri-Ace's new RPG, Radiata Stories
(highly possible) there is scan later tonight
(to be continued... :D )

already registered at United States Patent and Trademark Office

Word MarkRADIATA STORIES

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: COMPUTER GAME SOFTWARE; VIDEO GAME SOFTWARE; SOUND RECORDINGS IN THE FORM OF OPTICAL DISCS, MAGNETIC DISCS AND TAPES, SEMICONDUCTOR ROMS FEATURING MUSIC OR FICTIONAL STORIES; AUDIO VISUAL RECORDINGS IN THE FORM OF OPTICAL DISCS, MAGNETIC DISCS AND TAPES, SEMICONDUCTOR ROMS FEATURING MUSIC AND/OR ANIMATED FICTIONAL STORIES; PRERECORDED COMPACT DISCS FEATURING MUSIC; PRERECORDED DIGITAL VIDEO DISCS FEATURING MUSIC AND/OR ANIMATED FICTIONAL STORIES; PRERECORDED VIDEO CASSETTES FEATURING MUSIC AND/OR ANIMATED FICTIONAL STORIES; DECORATIVE MAGNETS; MOUSE PADS; STRAPS FOR CELLULAR PHONES; SUNGLASSES; BLANK MEMORY CARDS; MEMORY CARD CASES; CD CASES; COMPUTER KEYBOARDS; JOYSTICKS; VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS; DOWNLOADABLE WALLPAPERS OR DOWNLOADABLE SCREENSAVERS FOR THE SCREENS OF COMPUTER DISPLAYS OR MOBILE PHONE DISPLAYS; DOWNLOADABLE ANIMATED ACTIVE WALLPAPERS OR SCREENSAVERS FOR THE SCREEN OF COMPUTER DISPLAYS OR MOBILE PHONE DISPLAYS; DOWNLOADABLE MUSICAL SOUND RECORDINGS; DOWNLOADABLE ELECTRONIC PUBLICATIONS IN THE FIELD OF COMPUTER GAMES, VIDEO GAMES AND GENERAL ENTERTAINMENT

Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 78443914
Filing Date June 30, 2004
Owner (APPLICANT) KABUSHIKI KAISHA SQUARE ENIX, also trading as SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. CORPORATION JAPAN 3-22-7 YOYOGI, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO JAPAN

Hmm, right when I was going to bed :p. Well, I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Hope it's more along the lines of VP than Star Ocean...

wtf...?

check the urls of the official homepage please

http://www.radiata.jp/product/vp/battle/b18.jpg

(c) 1999?

b18.jpg

b19.jpg

b17.jpg

u_neek

Here's some details (not confirmed)

- There's characters called Jack Russel, Ridley Timberlake (please...!!!), Lezard Valles

- The atmosphere will be veru Tales of.. or Star Ocean-ish.

- 3d environment

- Batlle system to be called "Link Battle System" and/or "Volty System"

kevm3

Damn, why couldn't they have made it on PS2 or some 128 bit system? Valkyrie Profilish game on a 128 bit system would rock.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jrpg character designs and character names keep plumbing new depths. i hate that fussy, precious, porcelain doll art style. it's a bit like sword of mana's. i hate it there too. and a creepy little nymphet with her hair in bows? called ridley timberlake? a protagonist called jack russell?

jlivre.jpg

looks like a dog to me!

duckroll

Interesting.... it's a fantasy RPG with a male and female lead: Jack and Ridley. I think you play as either character, not both. When you change equipment, the character will look different too... and you can recruit up to 150+ different party members. Unlike Suikoden though, it seems theses are simply the varients in job and race and are more mercs than story characters. There are 4 characters in a battle and they're "linked" to Jack (or Ridley) in battles. There's also a gauge that builds up for special attacks and stuff. Sounds alot like a single player MMORPG imo, and the look is definitely that of Dew Prism/FF:CC.

Who knows, might be cool (although after SO3, tri-ace expectations should be guarded) and is that Lezard I see in the first pic on the 2nd scan? ^____^

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I hate to say this, but it looks kinda generic.. especially considering the company involved. The whole world looks sorta unattractive, with every screen having yellow overtones... hopefully that's just the scan quality and the actual game looks better in person. It looks pretty similar to FF:CC or maybe even a Wild Arms game, I dunno, the character designs look fairly silly... I think I would've preferred them to make a SO4 or a VP2, but if the battle system is good, that's what matters. i see "real time" and "3d battlefield", so we'll see.

Oh, and they MUST change Ridley's last name for the US release, I don't want to be constantly reminded of a shitty singer.

djtiesto

duckroll said:
Interesting.... it's a fantasy RPG with a male and female lead: Jack and Ridley. I think you play as either character, not both. When you change equipment, the character will look different too... and you can recruit up to 150+ different party members. Unlike Suikoden though, it seems theses are simply the varients in job and race and are more mercs than story characters. There are 4 characters in a battle and they're "linked" to Jack (or Ridley) in battles. There's also a gauge that builds up for special attacks and stuff. Sounds alot like a single player MMORPG imo, and the look is definitely that of Dew Prism/FF:CC.

Who knows, might be cool (although after SO3, tri-ace expectations should be guarded) and is that Lezard I see in the first pic on the 2nd scan? ^____^

Why is everyone making SO3 out to be terrible? From what I've read, it seems like a great game, with a few flaws... Bethany's review was laughable in the things she complained about, it seems the only real problem I'll have is the same thing Ferricide was complaining with about the battle system. We'll see tonight.

I hope it's got a storyline and isn't really an MMORPG, though it's about time an RPG allows you to change equipment and your character looks different :p

Zilch

Banned
Yeah, it looks alright. I like the fact that the characters actually change appearance based on their equipment, though.

Bebpo

Banned
djtiesto said:
Why is everyone making SO3 out to be terrible? From what I've read, it seems like a great game, with a few flaws... Bethany's review was laughable in the things she complained about, it seems the only real problem I'll have is the same thing Ferricide was complaining with about the battle system. We'll see tonight.

Because some of us have ...gasp... played the game from start to finish, and despite that it may seem like a great game, a few of us here were not impressed to say the least.

Problematic battle system + Terrible CPU AI + Generic anime character designs + Slow story pacing with long style-less direction that relies on 1 plot twist 70% through which I personally found to be laughable at best = a very generous 7.5 IMO. Graphics are pretty at 60fps progressive and most of the dungeons are good, but that's about all the postives I can say about it. Oh and the music is pretty good if you like Sakuraba.

Anyway this new game looks ok to me. It seems like Tri-ace trying to be a little more like Tales and less like SO. Maybe they realized their battle system got owned in 2003 :p Not huge on the art though, looks like FF:CC like others have said, and really in the end after SO3 I can't say I'm looking forward to another Tri-ace game.

Bebpo said:
Because some of us have ...gasp... played the game from start to finish, and despite that it may seem like a great game, a few of us here were not impressed to say the least.

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE THE GAME ISN'T OUT YET?!?!

People still looking forward to SO3 when SMT3 and Shadow Hearts 2 are coming out the same month deserve what they get.

Teddman

Bleccch to the character designs. Really it's just the porceline doll style faces. Sounds superficial, but man are they an eyesore (pun intended).

djtiesto

JackFrost2012 said:
HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE THE GAME ISN'T OUT YET?!?!

People still looking forward to SO3 when SMT3 and Shadow Hearts 2 are coming out the same month deserve what they get.

We shall see... A lot of people also loved FFX2, and Xenosaga, and Chrono Cross, all 3 games I thought were rubbish. A lot of RPGs are hit and miss with people (judging from the mixed reactions to TOS, which I thought was great), aside from the few games (Unlimited SaGa), that are almost universally a miss. Different people play RPGs for different reasons... Shadow Hearts 2 I'm looking forward to, (having enjoyed what I've played/seen of the first game) but I never really got into the whole style and setting of the SMT games, so I'm not really as interested. I might pick that one up later, but I have enough games as it is.

SO2 had the worst overall story/event section of any single game I've ever played (talk about slow story pacing with long style-less direction...), and the reviews of 3 really make it sound like more of the same.

The characters in this new game look alright. A lot better than SO2/3, anyway.

Seems like they really want the Tales series back. Didn't tri-Ace do the original Tales of Phantasia?

I'm with drohne, too; those character designs look like they got shit out of Hallmark of Japan.

Alex

I think it looks solid, enviroment art espically. As far as characters go, I just like seeing some quality costume design in a JRPG, and this looks fantastic IMO in that regard. It's such a rarity.

We should be getting Valkyrie Profile 2 instead though, it's getting rather annoying.

Also, negative points for taking design tips from Tales if that's so. Tales's starting to become dated, still problem filled combat engine doesn't really "own" much, IMO.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'm not really fond of the character designs either, nor do the graphics right now make me really excited but hey, its Tri-Ace, benefit of doubt.

Top Bottom