• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just as Xbox finally starts getting support from ATLUS and Square Enix, Capcom turns its back — but why? (Windows Central, Cope & Corden)

bender

What time is it?
We have the data too. Here are the Ace Attorney Trilogy sales:

Switch - 462,395
PC - 245,339
PS4 - 103,235
Xbox - 4,821
6fyqcu.gif

MiguelItUp

Why is it odd?

Xbox is irrelevant.
Jokes aside, it's still a current gen platform that is very capable. That's really it.

Switch - 462,395
PC - 245,339
PS4 - 103,235
Xbox - 4,821
Lmao, that's really low, but that's also Ace Attorney, which while big is a pretty niche series. Probably doesn't really help Xbox players regardless. I'm curious to know if there are numbers for something that's more popular/approachable?

Last edited:

Humdinger

Exactly. If you only own a Xbox at this point, you’re a giga casual anyway. Back to madden with you.

Fwiw, I did a poll on this question back in 2018. Old data, but back then, 3% of GAF said they played only on Xbox.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Fwiw, I did a poll on this question back in 2018. Old data, but back then, 3% of GAF said they played only on Xbox.

3% of GAF are retards. Imagine.

Something is seriously mentally deranged with these people. I don't understand the sense of entitlement people like Jez (or I'm sure, Phil Spencer) feel Xbox is "owed" games simply because it's a brand that exists, or simply because it's been a fledging console business carried by a $3.5 trillion Big Tech mega-conglomerate's profits from other areas not related to gaming for like the past 8-10 years.

I think it speaks to an unearned sense of esteem; these people are so obsessed with Xbox still being the Green PlayStation instead of being a brand with its own identity. That's a big reason why the console is struggling to stay relevant in the global market to begin with. No one's interested in an inferior PlayStation. These people feel that any game (even 3P) that PlayStation gets, Xbox is "owed" that same game, especially if it's a Japanese title. But the only thing they base these things on are their feelings. They pretend as if companies like Capcom don't have 2+ decades of sales data on Xbox platforms to discern if a port of old Marvel games to the platform (without a Game Pass deal, which they might not want because it could cannibalize sales on other platforms) is worth the costs in development, optimization & QA testing for the smallest platform.

Especially when considering, most Xbox owners ALREADY HAVE ANOTHER SYSTEM that this game is going onto! Be that a Switch, a PS4, PS5 or PC...there is 0% chance any of the Xbox people complaining about this collection skipping Xbox don't have an alternative. No one gives a shit if you "prefer" playing it on an Xbox; as an Xbox owner you are the least significant portion of the customer base and you don't get to dictate terms just to suit your preference. If you genuinely care about the game, you'll pick it up on one of the many other platforms it's already coming out on, and at least one of which you own in addition to your Xbox.

I'm just so tired of shill press trying to make games skipping Xbox sound like a violation of their civil rights, or like it's some humanitarian crisis that just has to be resolved. It's nowhere near that important. And the biases are clear, because we never see these same folks complain when games skip Switch, or especially if they don't get a PlayStation release. It's the gaming equivalent of a certain political ideology where individualism is shunned and where being unique is shamed. Where equity is pushed instead of equality, and where equality can allow uniqueness/individualism, equity does not.

That's basically what all these fringe complaints from people like Jez sound like to me. The idea that Xbox missing out whatever 5% of 3P games that don't leave PlayStation or Switch (but mainly PlayStation; remember these people are obsessed with Xbox being a Green PlayStation) is inherently "wrong" and unfair, is hilarious. The idea it's entitled to have these games simply for existing, is ludicrous.

Shut0wen

Banned
I dont get why people are saying this and wr pissed off, the consoles marvel v capcom are pretty much big systems that alot of japs use but capcom has always ended up porting these games afew yeqrs down the line

It’s strange that’s it’s on pc but not xbox? It’s like 5 minutes work, to get pc game running on Xbox, are they trying to a message to ms, 🫤

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Wondering if this have anything to do Sony saying no due to spiderman rights.
I immediately wrote that off since they don't own the gaming rights. But then I remembered that leak saying they license exclusive rights to X-Men for like a decade or something crazy. Definitely a lot of X-Men in there too. Who knows, I guess it's not impossible.

Three

Youre loss capcom! I'll buy it on PC and play with my arcade stick there!

James Van Der Beek Laughing GIF by The Ringer
What has Capcom lost in this scenario?

Wondering if this have anything to do Sony saying no due to spiderman rights.
They don't even own the spiderman rights. Marvel does.

I immediately wrote that off since they don't own the gaming rights. But then I remembered that leak saying they license exclusive rights to X-Men for like a decade or something crazy. Definitely a lot of X-Men in there too. Who knows, I guess it's not impossible.
Marvel retains the rights to Marvel "multi-family" games and older game which Marvel vs Capcom collection is. More importantly I would love to hear the creative ways xbox fans come up with to blame Sony for capcoms other collections skipping xbox too, like Mega Man Battle Network Collection or Monster Hunter Stories. Is it not just easier to accept the fact that the platform isn't worth porting to if the projected sales are so small?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Marvel retains the rights to Marvel "multi-family" games and older game which Marvel vs Capcom collection is. More importantly I would love to hear the creative ways xbox fans come up with to blame Sony for capcoms other collections skipping xbox too, like Mega Man Battle Network Collection or Monster Hunter Stories. Is it not just easier to accept the fact that the platform isn't worth porting to if the projected sales are so small?
Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Their cultists never hold their brand accountable.

GHG

Thought you had me on ignore, so what you doing in this thread with your outlandish conspiracies?

Interested GIF by Nick Cannon

Punished Miku

I don't really have to accept anything. The main thing people pointed to for sales is Ace Attorney, and that just got announced again yesterday. I don't personally even really care about these games, or any 2D fighters. The sales argument is a potential explanation, but until Capcom answers people I see no reason to assume. Really small time games come to Xbox all the time. Just yesterday that Metal Slug mobile game got added to the store. A lot of people here have a clear agenda to only push the explanation they want. I am fine just waiting to hear what Capcom says, if they ever decide to answer. We know they are fine taking GP deals for some of their smaller stuff too. GP probably saved Exoprimal from total irrelevancy. Kunitsu-Gami is next month. And besides all of this, if the next gen system rumors are true, none of this will even matter to me in a couple years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't personally even really care about these games, or any 2D fighters.
A lot of people here have a clear agenda to only push the explanation they want. I am fine just waiting to hear what Capcom says, if they ever decide to answer.
Christopher Lloyd Realization GIF

Three

I don't really have to accept anything. The main thing people pointed to for sales is Ace Attorney, and that just got announced again yesterday. I don't personally even really care about these games, or any 2D fighters. The sales argument is a potential explanation, but until Capcom answers people I see no reason to assume. Really small time games come to Xbox all the time. Just yesterday that Metal Slug mobile game got added to the store. A lot of people here have a clear agenda to only push the explanation they want. I am fine just waiting to hear what Capcom says, if they ever decide to answer. We know they are fine taking GP deals for some of their smaller stuff too. GP probably saved Exoprimal from total irrelevancy. Kunitsu-Gami is next month. And besides all of this, if the next gen system rumors are true, none of this will even matter to me in a couple years.
Things coming to gamepass is MS paying for the port essentially. I'm sure you would be happy to jump to these conclusions/assumptions blaming some other company though instead of looking at the financial incentive to Capcom for the port. You've done this numerous times in the past too.

Punished Miku

Things coming to gamepass is MS paying for the port essentially. I'm sure you would be happy to jump to these conclusions/assumptions blaming some other company though instead of looking at the financial incentive to Capcom for the port. You've done this numerous times in the past too.
I just thought it's not impossible, only because of the Insomniac leak specifically around X-Men licensing. I don't know what the reason is. I didn't claim to know or tell anyone to accept anything. It's just using my brain to look for some other explanation because like I just said, Ace Attorney just got listed on the store yesterday. So it doesn't really make much sense to think that the whole system ecosystem is so irrelevant that they won't put on a Marvel game, but they'll port an obscure Nintendo DS trilogy. But you're free to believe whatever you want.

Three

I just thought it's not impossible, only because of the Insomniac leak specifically around X-Men licensing. I don't know what the reason is. I didn't claim to know or tell anyone to accept anything. It's just using my brain to look for some other explanation because like I just said, Ace Attorney just got listed on the store yesterday. So it doesn't really make much sense to think that the whole system ecosystem is so irrelevant that they won't put on a Marvel game, but they'll port an obscure Nintendo DS trilogy. But you're free to believe whatever you want.
You play this silly "omg evil Sony exclusivity deal must be in play" with almost every release that skips xbox until MS pay up for it with your GP money whenever it's lost its commercial appeal. You played the same song and dance with Octopath Traveller 2 skipping xbox by listing some other smaller game that got a port. It's like déjà vu with you:

doesn't make any sense when lesser series are on Xbox, like DioField, Crisis Core, etc. Just like how it's dumb to put Octopath 1 on Xbox, build up an audience then skip 2. I would love to see the details behind the Sony exclusivity contracts, as they're always vague, secretive, and changing.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

You play this silly "omg evil Sony exclusivity deal must be in play" with almost every release that skips xbox until MS pay up for it with your GP money whenever it's lost its commercial appeal. You played the same song and dance with Octopath Traveller 2 skipping xbox by listing some other smaller game that got a port. It's like déjà vu with you:

Why bring up Octopath Traveler? This is a derail. I don't have anything to hide there either. It doesn't make sense to me. DioField Chronicles is a AA series that I think most people could predict was not going to find much of an audience on anything. It's just basic logic that Octopath 2 at least had a better shot than DioField Chronicles at finding a small audience, because the 1st game was on GP. That's not some embarrassing point to make. That's just the most basic logical inference. One is unknown. The other is more known, and millions of people had access to it on GP. If you are determined to retread irrelevant, off topic, old arguments, then you can at least tell me why that statement of mine is wrong. I made a totally logical point. SQEX's strategy doesn't make sense there. So again, just using my brain to look for other potential explanations that at least are rational is the way I went there too. And again, it's basic logic to at least wonder if there is an exclusivity arrangement at play, because those exist for a large number of SQEX games. I don't really care if pointing out basic logical things triggers you. Ignore me then.

Last edited:

GHG

Why bring up Octopath Traveler? This is a derail.

You derailed the moment you started with your nonsensical conspiracy theories involving Sony.

There are at least 2 reasons that are far more logical and grounded which are discussed/touched on in the OP but you've decided to leap head first in to the looney bin. And all of this for a collection of games that you supposedly don't care about?

Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Three

Why bring up Octopath Traveler? This is a derail. I don't have anything to hide there either. It doesn't make sense to me. DioField Chronicles is a AA series that I think most people could predict was not going to find much of an audience on anything. It's just basic logic that Octopath 2 at least had a better shot than DioField Chronicles at finding a small audience, because the 1st game was on GP. That's not some embarrassing point to make. That's just the most basic logical inference. One is unknown. The other is more known, and millions of people had access to it on GP. If you are determined to retread irrelevant, off topic, old arguments, then you can at least tell me why that statement of mine is wrong. I made a totally logically point. SQEX's strategy doesn't make sense there.
You weren't just trying to suggest "it didn't make sense" you were discussing exclusivity deals and trying to suggest "that is the only thing that makes sense".

So again, just using my brain to look for other potential explanations that at least are rational is the way I went there too.
You intentionally skip the given facts though and insert your own silly assumptions. You entered a thread which had direct statement from SE telling you

"Octopath Traveler 2 isn't on more platforms due to an internal decision they made after observing the sales of other titles".

Meaning they probably looked at octopath 1 sales/players on xbox and estimated octopath 2 sales and decided it wasn't worth it. Instead you went into that thread with the same "maybe a conspiracy" nonsense :
Exactly. Its probably very cheap to block these games on Xbox. Not saying I know it happened because I don't know.

Maybe some day we'll get a clear answer.
Instead of accepting the stated fact that SE didn't feel they would sell enough based on other titles.

Last edited:

GHG

You weren't just trying to suggest "it didn't make sense" you were discussing exclusivity deals and trying to suggest "that is the only thing that makes sense".

You intentionally skip the given facts though and insert your own silly assumptions. You entered a thread which had direct statement from SE telling you

"Octopath Traveler 2 isn't on more platforms due to an internal decision they made after observing the sales of other titles".

Meaning they probably looked at octopath 1 sales/players estimated octopath 2 sales and decided it wasn't worth it. Instead you went into that thread with the same "maybe a conspiracy" nonsense :

Instead of accepting the stated fact that SE didn't feel they would sell enough based on other titles.

It's the victim complex taken to the extreme.

Punished Miku

Meaning they probably looked at octopath 1 sales/players on xbox and estimated octopath 2 sales and decided it wasn't worth it. Instead you went into that thread with the same "maybe a conspiracy" nonsense :

They literally just ported Octopath 2 a couple weeks ago. Is the Xbox platform now doing better? Which game sold well enough for them to change their mind recently?

Reading your posts is making me stupider, so I'm done with this. I think your only point here is that you want me to stop talking, but it's not going to happen. I really couldn't care less what you post or think, so have fun with it. Doesn't bother me one bit. I can't even imagine searching your previous posts for anything. Get a life.

DeVeAn

Are we really comparing Ace Attorney sales to potential MvC collection sales? Pretty sure it’s gonna sell better then AA.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Switch - 462,395
PC - 245,339
PS4 - 103,235
Xbox - 4,821
So ignoring Switch and PC Capcom games are doing worse on Xbox than Square-Enix games do? As in Xbox only sale roughly 3.8%~ of what PlayStation pulls in? No wonder Xbox had to pay Japanese Publishers to bring games to their platform and it also explains why they don't bother to do so if they don't get that upfront payment.

GHG

They literally just ported Octopath 2 a couple weeks ago. Is the Xbox platform now doing better? Which game sold well enough for them to change their mind recently?

There's a complete lack of reasoning of rational thought being displayed here.

Did you read anything he said or even the article in the OP?:

Octopath 2 launched on gamepass for Xbox. They clearly waited until Microsoft offered them a gamepass deal that made sense for them instead of wasting time and money on a port that wouldn't sell more than a few thousand copies.

Last edited:

Three

Reading your posts is making me stupider, so I'm done with this. I think your only point here is that you want me to stop talking, but it's not going to happen. I really couldn't care less what you post or think, so have fun with it. Doesn't bother me one bit. I can't even imagine searching your previous posts for anything. Get a life.

How did it come to the platform though? Maybe exactly as I was saying to you months and months ago?:

Talking about tales from your ass for somebody elses take and again blaming Sony with tales from your own ass now.

Here's another theory. What if SE got an upfront payment from MS for Octopath Traveller 1 to put it on gamepass. They didn't get an offer with the sequel and skipped the platform based on projected sales. They can even hope MS opens the chequebook for gamepass again once actual sales on other consoles dry. Why do you have to invent a villain for everything? Gamepass not getting many big third party releases this year, must be that Sony blocking literally everything out there. Octopath traveller not coming to xbox, must be that Sony not allowing it.
Ark 2 is xbox only, wow must be that amazing platform and GDK support from MS.

You're the one who needs to get a life and stop with the conspiracies.

Klayzer

There's a complete lack of reasoning of rational thought being displayed here.

Did you read anything he said or even the article in the OP?:

Octopath 2 launched on gamepass for Xbox. They clearly waited until Microsoft offered them a gamepass deal that made sense for them instead of wasting time and money on a port that wouldn't sell more than a few thousand copies.
It's the same bs from him always.

Naked Lunch

Switch - 462,395
PC - 245,339
PS4 - 103,235
Xbox - 4,821
Sure, this is funny to the diehards,
but this post proves the point that there is something more than just sales with the MvC collection.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy is on Xbox
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy is on Xbox
Ace Attorney Investigations Collection just announced for Xbox

If the sales are that low - then why did a new Ace Attorney Collection get announced for Xbox just yesterday?

Punished Miku

How did it come to the platform though? Maybe exactly as I was saying to you months and months ago?:
Dragon Quest 3 was also put up on the store yesterday. Fantasian as well is coming. So this is your argument here. Which game had good enough sales to get SQEX to suddenly change their mind? You have no answer, and the thing is I genuinely don't care. I don't spend a minute upset that I think you're wrong about something and we disagree. Think whatever you want about Xbox and I don't care, I don't quote you and start arguments, I don't try to change your mind on anything. I don't ever talk to you.

Top Bottom