• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

nin1000

Banned
Dude Tinker Tailor is straaaaight out of Amnesiac like no other song on this album and it's so dope

What a day

hr5dpjnaqmfx.gif

I love this. and i love the album so much.

Released

House of Cards didn't immediately click for me. I didn't come around to it until after I watched their Basement video performance of it. Something about the state of mind I was in plus seeing Jonny and Ed get insane sounds out of their guitars made me fall in love with it.

Robby322

This album is everything I wanted and more. Best orchestral work I have ever heard from the band. Jonny's strings on this are just incredible. So so happy.

Myriadis

We, our "music group", are about to start the album, in 5 minutes. We are about 10 people, will listen to it through an excellent stereo, loud and in complete darkness. Haven't heard it before at all and I'm excited!

We, our "music group", are about to start the album, in 5 minutes. We are about 10 people, will listen to it through an excellent stereo, loud and in complete darkness. I'm excited!
This sounds awesome! I'd love to do something like that. But everyone would kick me out after I lose my shit to Ful Stop and Identikit

Blader

I was really surprised with just how much orchestra was on the album. It's almost every song!

Album really feels like a cross between Kid A and In Rainbows.

Jocund

I bought this album once during the Google Play fiasco and once again from Waste, 'cause why noooooooooot.

It's pretty good.

Mandelbo

I don't think there's a single song on here that I don't like - sure, some songs are better than others (Decks Dark & Ful Stop <3) but it all feels so cohesive and polished. Having not really paid attention to Radiohead recently, this was a real nice surprise :D

Xun

I really do wish the special edition came with a 24bit version to download.

It's a bit shit to be honest, even if I'm fine with the 16bit WAV version.

dmshaposv

The lyrics of TLW feel so sophomoric compared to all other songs. Truly shows the bends-era radiohead when they were in their 20s.

The melody and the vocal performance are still gut wrenching and powerful, but I guess it'd piss off people if they changed the lyrics.

NotLiquid

I really, really love this album on initial listen. I don't think that has so much to do with it being "what I expected" as much as it is it being what I've been "wanting" for a long time.

In terms of defying and subverting expectations I don't think Radiohead has truly provided anything remotely as substantial on that front since Kid A. The pivotal focus of Radiohead's instrumentation and structure was blown wide open with that album once it landed, and with In Rainbows it felt like the band had only really "returned" to balance efforts which Hail to the Thief already married decently (even if under a very political pretext). I don't think much after that could feasibly "surprise" me that much.

The King of Limbs didn't end up being something I had expected, but I never came around to loving that album because the surprise came about due to it feeling like an effort made on autopilot. It felt like a more repetitive, slightly cheaper made album than anything else they've done, and as a result lacked a lot of organic elements which were signature to Radiohead throughout just about all of their albums, including Pablo Honey.

Thankfully that returns with this album which feels really varied while still different to previous efforts in a way I'm 100% okay with. It honestly feels like an album that the band could have composed some time during the Kid A era but with a more liberal use of instrumentation they've embraced since In Rainbows, and I love that. It's something I know they do really well.

I've always felt like Radiohead weren't even remotely close to exhausting their potential of providing another album that can be considered a "classic", and this is no exception. This is possibly my favorite album from them since Amnesiac. It's melodic, moody, rich and beautiful.

People don't like Nude? How

Yeah I'm confused. I was always under the assumption that was one of the tracks on In Rainbows that was commonly considered one of the more universally liked ones.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Another moment of appreciation for Daydreaming please

King_Moc

Banned
Bruh some people here think Pablo Honey is better than King of Limbs. I don't understand anything anymore lol

I know someone who's favourite album is Pablo Honey, and his favourite song is Thinking About You. He hates OKC, and hasn't bothered listening to anything after it.

Man, I really do love True Love Waits. So much.

More I listen to it, it's hard not to fall in love with it even more. So much personal meaning here for its making, whether it's Thom or Nigel.

I can understand why I see one or two people disappointed with how it turned out following the I Might Be Wrong EP - I was the same when Videotape was changed from that awesome 2006 live version to the final studio version (though I came love to that, even if I have a preference for the 2006 version) - and I love that version.

But man, this version is magical in almost every sense of the word - the fact it was written, the fact that after 20 years since it debuted, the fact it finally exists in a proper studio form and the fact there is some incredibly personal context to the song now to the point they finally found a way for the song to make a Radiohead album and finally make sense.

I truly believe when all is said and done (and I really bloody hope this isn't it yet - a few more albums before calling it) and given time that this truly will be up there in the top ten best Radiohead songs ever list.

Gonna give more detailed album thoughts after a few more listens (only had two listens so far), but for me so far: easily top five at least. May even have a great chance of cracking top three.

Floridian

Really like the album upon the first couple of listens. Definitely a stepup from TKOL. I'll probably end it up somewhere in their top 5 albums, or at least above TKOL, Pablo Honey & Hail To The Thief.

Altazor

Guys, I can't get True Love Waits outta my head. I just can't.

I love the contrast between the live version and this one - the live version sounds like a heartfelt declaration of blooming love, a sort of soundtrack to infatuation, while this one sounds like a lament, a desperate plea to hold on to a love that's fading, the soundtrack to a breakup.

It's quite an emotional gutpunch, IMHO.

Guys, I can't get True Love Waits outta my head. I just can't.

I love the contrast between the live version and this one - the live version sounds like a heartfelt declaration of blooming love, a sort of soundtrack to infatuation, while this one sounds like a lament, a desperate plea to hold on to a love that's fading, the soundtrack to a breakup.

It's quite an emotional gutpunch, IMHO.
I just wanna give Thom a hug. And I need a hug after that song. Everyone needs a hug.

My girlfriend of three years and I broke up in January, and Radiohead was our favorite band in the world. I met her because she did an amazing portrait of Thom Yorke. So hearing True Love Waits with that emotion really hit me.

RoKKeR

I don't understand why this album isn't on Google Play. Both of the singles where there right when they released. Ugh, the fuck.

andylsun

First full listen on headphones was amazing. So much going on everywhere! its going to take many listens for this to settle

Altazor

I just wanna give Thom a hug. And I need a hug after that song. Everyone needs a hug.

My girlfriend of three years and I broke up in January, and Radiohead was our favorite band in the world. I met her because she did an amazing portrait of Thom Yorke. So hearing True Love Waits with that emotion really hit me.

:(

you get a hug, bro.

*hugs*

I get the Beck thing.

Funny since Beck's drummer is part of Atom too.

Didn't know that. I really need to start listening to the members' side gigs then.

I first picked up on the orchestra similarities but True Love Waits was such a gutpunch everything started clicking together. This really is a personal album.

NotSelf

Just finished listening to it and ya it's definitely more laid back subtle sounding album as I thought it would be from listening of the two singles. Need to give more listening to give an opinion on it but I would say it's good so far.

Top Bottom