• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

Someone may have already said, but both Sea Change (mainly 'Paper Tiger') and this (mainly 'The Numbers') are both ripping off/paying homage to Jean Claude Vannier's strings on Serge Gainsbourg's Histoire de Melody Nelson

loving this record so far, glass eyes and the numbers in particular. Oh and finally getting True Love Waits and it sounding so amazing is such a brilliant way to close the album

Interesting, thanks for pointing out the source.

Myriadis

Listened through it and so far I really like it. The numbers is the clear favorite of mine but there are a lot of other songs that I enjoyed. Given that I am not really a Radiohead fan (I think that OK Computer is not that great) this is something big. Might be my favorite of mine but I need get thrugh all albums.

The opinions of the other ones in the music group went from it's really good to the best thing ever.

Just finished the album, and this one really is fantastic. The real deal. The most beautiful, complete album I've heard in years. Still don't know where it will fit within the Radiohead pantheon, but it's top-tier for sure.

I am so happy right now.

Randdalf

Now my long term Radiohead hype train has arrived at the station, I guess it's time to fire up the ASOIAF hype train.

Altazor

Listened through it and so far I really like it. The numbers is the clear favorite of mine but there are a lot of other songs that I enjoyed. Given that I am not really a Radiohead fan (I think that OK Computer is not that great) this is something big. Might be my favorite of mine but I need get thrugh all albums.

The opinions of the other ones in the music group went from it's really good to the best thing ever.

have you listened to Kid A or In Rainbows yet? Those are closer to the newer album's sound than OKC.

Wanna know something funny?

About fifteen minutes before I put the OT up, I spotted the 'A Man Made Poo' typo before posting and took a screencap with the intent of posting this picture a few minutes after the OT went up as a sort of BTS funny. I just spotted that screencap in my trey, still there on GIMP for when I'd post when it all went up.

2YxUgJz.png

But it was around that time I was making last-minute adjustments and edits thanks to the album jumping the gun by 15 minutes that I completely forgot to fix the typo before posting. And thus, you know the rest of the story.

So, yeah. XD

chaislip3

What an album. Didn't really expect it to reach my top 3 of OK Computer, In Rainbows, and Kid A, but it very well might knock one of those out of the top of my list.

i just ended up buying it from amazon. i have a spotify premium sub but dont feel like waiting any longer. still not sure why the band will put it on other streaming services and not spotify but at the same time we should support the artists directly as well (beyond just the streaming services.... whether that be buying the records or attending shows)

Tanston

What an album. Didn't really expect it to reach my top 3 of OK Computer, In Rainbows, and Kid A, but it very well might knock one of those out of the top of my list.

I think it knocks out OK computer in my top 3 as much as I never thought I'd say such things.

AgeEighty

Did your .wav download work out yet? I haven't tried to redownload again yet.

Nope. I ended up also buying the 24 bit WAV version, which I hadn't even realized was an option on the digital-only download when I bought my special edition.

The problem seems to only be on the 16 bit WAV download.

Tesser

Listening to Ful Stop for the first time reminds me of the first time listening to Reckoner off In Rainbows and being blown away at how, even after x amount of years, Radiohead can still put together tracks like this that take me completely by surprise.

Been thinking about this for a few minutes and come to a decision regarding, on first listen anyways, where AMSP lands in my list of Radiohead albums. Right now:

Kid A > In Rainbows > OK Computer > A Moon Shaped Pool > Hail to the Thief > Amnesiac > The Bends > The King of Limbs >>>>>>>> Pablo Honey

But I do think A Moon Shaped Pool has the serious potential of getting into my top three after a few more listens. I never thought I'd see the day where OK Computer would fall out of my top three Radiohead albums. But it's a serious possibility. Could even go as far as surpassing In Rainbows. Kid A, itself my favourite album ever and therefore brings with it another massive question if it was ever surpassed, won't likely be touched.

But that's where I am right now.

In terms of album openers, this is how I rank them right now

Everything In its Right Place > 2+2=5 > 15 Step > Planet Telex > Burn the Witch > Airbag > Bloom > Packt Like Sardines in a Crushed Tin Box >>>> You

And closers, like I said a few pages back, it's not even funny how immediately I fell in love with that version of True Love Waits. Sky high at the top of my closers list now.

True Love Waits > Motion Picture Soundtrack > The Tourist > Street Spirit > Life in a Glasshouse > A Wolf at the Door > Separator > Videotape >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blow Out

Davey Cakes

As a Radiohead fan, I'm about a 7/10.

As a Radiohead album? And an album in general? This is approaching 10/10 territory. It shattered my expectations.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man i t was already on Google Music and I missed it?

Is there an exclusive window for Apple Music and Tudal?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to Ful Stop for the first time reminds me of the first time listening to Reckoner off In Rainbows and being blown away at how, even after x amount of years, Radiohead can still put together tracks like this that take me completely by surprise.
I've been obsessed with the live version for years and this version was still surprising. Love it.

Those are some quick reviews.

Yes, too quick. You can't properly review an album after one or two listens, especially something as dense as this. Should do a "first impressions" article but hold off on final thoughts for at least a few days...

Anyway, on first listen this album is great. I love the atmosphere, and the album is beautiful and cohesive. Will see where it ultimately ends up on the list, but I think it's up there near the top!

TheMan

Mau ®;202967407 said:
All Radiohead albums are up on Spotify, sans "In Rainbows". I'm pretty sure a deal will be made. I just hope it doesn't take too long.

of course a deal will be made. I just don't think it'll happen in time for his midnight deadline.

Kid A > In Rainbows > OK Computer > A Moon Sized Pool > Hail to the Thief > Amnesiac > The Bends > The King of Limbs >>>>>>>> Pablo Honey

But I do think A Moon Sized Pool has the serious potential of getting into my top three after a few more listens.

Hey man, slow down, slow down,
Idiot, slow down, slow down.

First the poo and now this.

Deeku

I've been obsessed with the live version for years and this version was still surprising. Love it.
At first listen, this and Identikit were kind of underwhelming compared the live versions. But yeah definitely starting to grow on me now.

RoKKeR

Numbers and Burn the Witch are my favorites. Orchestral arrangements are really great.

Also what us going on with this whole "it was up on Google Play early but got taken down." are they punishing Google Play for spoiling the surprise or something? Haha

Listened to the album twice. My revised ranking (most favorite to least favorite):

Kid A
In Rainbows
Amnesiac
AMSP
OK Computer
The Bends
HTTT
TKOL
Pablo Honey

Some thoughts on the album -
- The second time I listened, Burn The Witch feels more at home on the album. It kinda clicked with everything else once I came back to it.
- Daydreaming is a great ballad.
- Decks Dark continues the trend of excellent piano riffs on the album. This one reminded of In Rainbows. Felt very basic - in a good way
- Desert Island Disk presents one of my favorite sounds from this album - the very earthy folk tones mixed with etheral, spacey ambient experiments going on in the background. It's the merging of simple with strange. Also some great work from the band here. I was so afraid that this would feel less like a "band" record from the singles, but I am so wrong.
- Ful Stop is a huge mix of musical styles that simply sounds incredible. Melodic, frantic, primo Radiohead grooving.
- The piano part of Glass Eyes is simply beautiful. Along with Thom's vocals, it's so haunting and Philip Glass-esque.
- I like the studio cut of Identikit. It's nice to have another lead part from Jonny.
- The Numbers. Oh man, The Numbers... what a gorgeous, dark, epic song. If this is Thom at his most politically riling, then count me in. Again, sounds like Neil Young backed by a huge orchestra with a touch of Can. Perfection. The way the band falls in with Thom is just... mmmm. sogood.gif. One of their all-time best songs.
- Present Tense has this very foreign/Latin guitar thing going on that speaks to the myriad genres represented on the album. Backed by the softness of the voices echoing around, it's a really unique song and I'm so glad it made the record.
- I've seen a lot of people saying that Tinker Tailor feels like something right off of Amnesiac and I'd have to agree. It borrows the jazzy mystique that album had and it's one of the smoothest songs present.
- True Love Waits is a masterpiece. It moved me to tears. The chord progression seems programmed to twinge my heart. I can't really describe its effect on me. It's haunting beyond words and crushingly bleak. One of the band's best finally done justice by this excellent version. I much prefer the piano playing lead here instead of the guitar.

So yeah, those are my impressions right now. I truly love the album and it best illustrates what makes Radiohead so special. Their identity has never been stronger.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Ranking stuff is worthless to me now, I'm gonna give this album time. I want to see how it grows on me, on first couple of listens I love it.

I think the album of Version of Ful Stop is on par if not better than the Live recording, it's different enough but still similar, it's own thing. However, Identikit on the album doesn't feel like it's better or as good as the live version, hopefully it grows on me more. I still really enjoy it but not as much as the live version.

Decks Dark is probably my top track from the album, MY GOD IT'S AMAZING

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Haven't listened to it yet, but it's easily top 3 so far. I'll update my impressions after I listen to it while mowing the lawn.

Released

Yeah I'm hesitant about ranking anything. The great thing about the big 3 (IR, OKC,Kid A) for me is how I still return to them all these years later.

1st impression is great but I'm gonna need many more listens.

Top Bottom