• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

Decks Dark to me is like Teardrop by Massive Attack (somethin about the melody) and Demon Days-era Gorillaz mashed into a Radiohead song.

And it's glorious.

Yeah I'm hesitant about ranking anything. The great thing about the big 3 (IR, OKC,Kid A) for me is how I still return to them all these years later.

1st impression is great but I'm gonna need many more listens.
Agreed. I'm hesitant to list anything alongside albums I've listened to what, thirty, forty times?

So happy right now. Bring on the bonus two!

Qwyjibo

After the first 2 listens, my standout tracks so far are:

Burn the Witch
The Numbers
True Love Waits

Really good stuff so far. Need to listen to the middle tracks more. They all sort of meld together for me right now.

FYI foobar is reading the 24-bit files as being 48khz too if that interests you. Listening to this on my stereo now, and, yeah, this is a beautiful album.

I'm really enjoying this release. I've listened to it in its entirety three times now via the 16 bit wav file version. It's strange that when I preordered the special edition that I couldn't choose the 24 bit files as an option. I can't wait until fall to hear it on vinyl.

FYI foobar is reading the 24-bit files as being 48khz too if that interests you. Listening to this on my stereo now, and, yeah, this is a beautiful album.
Now that I read your post, I'm wanting to hear the 24 bit version even more.

Blader

Agreed. I'm hesitant to list anything alongside albums I've listened to what, thirty, forty times?

So happy right now. Bring on the bonus two!

Don't get too excited, one of them is Spectre.

(don't get me wrong, I really like Spectre, but I've also been listening to it for 4 months :lol)

Got a chance to listen to this, but unfortunately somewhat distractedly. Definitely liked what I heard and my god it was nice to hear a studio version of True Love Waits - even though it sounds really different than the live versions.

Glass Eye was another stand out, and of course Burn the Witch was also great as I knew. Tinker Tailor also grabbed me enough to check what the track was.

Regardless - really liked everything I was hearing. Definitely need more listens, and more focused listens too. But, already this is sitting better with me than King of Limbs. (Which I liked, and listened to again recently and was surprised just how much I liked it, but never really got into regular rotation like everything before that.)

That part about 1/2 way through Ful stop. Holy crap!

giphy.gif

Have no words.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
WOW!! True love waits is on here. Omfg. That's so nuts to me.

Deeku

I gotta say, I wasn't expecting The Numbers to be so fantastic after hearing Thom debut it at that Paris thing. It's the Greenwoods effect!

I'm really enjoying this release. I've listened to it in its entirety three times now via the 16 bit wav file version. It's strange that when I preordered the special edition that I couldn't choose the 24 bit files as an option. I can't wait until fall to hear it on vinyl.

Now that I read your post, I'm wanting to hear the 24 bit version even more.

Yeah it seems like the 24-bit tracks are the studio masters. When I first saw the up-charge for them I was like WTF but now I realize they're worth the extra cost.

A-V-B

Personally I'm hyped to hear the vinyl mastering this year. Some of the beautiful tunes on this album are crushed to hell.

ampere

OK finally got around to buying it! Just started listening so I'm only on the first two songs which I've already heard :p.

I gotta say, I wasn't expecting The Numbers to be so fantastic after hearing Thom debut it at that Paris thing. It's the Greenwoods effect!
I love how when he said "this is Jonny's part, which I can't play" I thought it would be some sick electric guitar part.

But god damn, Jonny had other things in mind.

y2dvd

Currently on The Number, listening via the BBC listening party. Album is straight fire so far. Ful Stop got me bouncing my leg, dang that was hype. Glass eye was gorgeous.

As a long time fan, the most surprising thing is the choirs. I caught myself a couple times thinking "that's not Thom" and then checking the track to see if it had a "featuring" credit.

jambo

Still can't believe how much of a surprise this album is, touching on so many different styles and themes.

It's like a greatest hits album, but with all new tracks.

jambo

Also, what's up with the album not being on Google Play in Australia?

I ended up downloading Apple Music on my G4 and just using my wife's login to stream it.

Kazaam

I cannot express my feelings about this album and how Radiohead did it again. So instead I'll simply say to everyone enjoy and buy it in any form you can afford - it's definitely worth it.
I have a tradition regarding Radiohead albums... a tradition that started involuntarily just when Ok Computer came out and I was on a road trip with my parents. My dad bought the album and we listened to it from beginning to end while driving across the country. Since then I've listened to every single new Radiohead album (from Kid A and of course Ok Computer as specified before... all the way to - now - A Moon Shaped Pool) for the first time when it came out, in a car, on a road trip. Luckily today was an absolutely amazing day in UK and listening to this album while driving all the way to the Green Bridge of Wales was once again something truly special. Listening to the album again while being there just reinforced what an amazing job they've done again.

Servbot24

Banned
So far Numbers, Glass Eyes and Tinker are my favorites. Lots of listening left to do though.

Main negative is that I think Thom's lyrics keep getting worse over time. Some pretty bad lines on here. :/

megalowho

Listened through twice pretty closely. First impressions.. meticulously produced and compelling breakup album, bittersweet lullabies and ethereal soundscapes. Caught myself dozing off a bit, in a good way. Reminds me of Sea Change some.

Gonna have to let this one sink in but it all flows well, even if I wish there were a few more peaks and crescendos. Drums feel like they were whittled down to the bare minimum at times. Didn't have an omg moment like hearing Reckoner for the first time but not really a bad track on there. Jonny's string arrangements add a lot to the sound, gives the album a cohesive feel. I like it overall, will prob like it even more over time.

Early standouts: Burn the Witch, Decks Dark, Identikit, The Numbers, second half of Ful Stop.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
As of right now, it's my sixth or seventh favorite Radiohead album. I'm really curious to see where it ends up after multiple listens.

MilkBeard

It's still not showing up in Spotify for me, although some people are saying it is. Is it hidden?

EDIT: Weird. It shows up in the link posted in this thread which uses the webplayer. However, in the Spotify App itself, it isn't listed in their discography.

EDIT again: Ok, I see. The other songs aren't selectable unless you actually have the songs on your computer. Only the two singles are available to play without actually having bought the songs somewhere else.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
so whats their best songs from A Moon Shaped Poo, Radiohead-GAF?
Im digging decks dark a lot...

so whats their best songs, Radiohead-GAF?

Look at the OP and add In Limbo, Give Up the Ghost, and A Wolf at the Door. Shame on OP for omitting them. It's pretty much all great except for Fitter Happier, which isn't even a song. Get to it!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Look at the OP and add In Limbo, Give Up the Ghost, and A Wolf at the Door. Shame on OP for omitting them. It's pretty much all great except for Fitter Happier, which isn't even a song. Get to it!

whoops! I meant the recently released A Moon Shaped Poo

dominuece

Okay.

This album has me messed up in the best of ways. It really does. I'm not going to gush about how they've been my favorite band since Kid A blah blah, how Bonnaroo 2006 changed my life blah blah, but damn, how do they keep doing it?

I really don't have anything exciting or clever to say right now, as I've listened to it twice through and it's mostly still just raw emotion. What I can say is that A Moon Shaped Pool feels like I have a new musical child to grow with.

Blader

so whats their best songs from A Moon Shaped Poo, Radiohead-GAF?

Decks Dark is my favorite, but I really like Daydreaming, Ful Stop, and Tinker Tailor too.

Identikit and Present Tense are going to take some getting used too but the new arrangements are growing on me.

Top Bottom