• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

I listened to it. It's alright.

Disclaimer: Kid A and Hail to the Thief are my favorite albums

Love you bro. HttT gets shit on way too often. Yeah, about half of the album is shite, but the other is some of the best work they've ever done.

Trying to stay on track here with AMSP. So happy to be talking about some new Radiohead with you boys. Can't pull myself away from Daydreaming. This album is a complete downer from beginning to end, and I love it.

ZeroRay

P. good

Standouts

Burn The Witch
Daydreamers
Desert Island Disk
Identikit
Tinker Tailor...

The two legendary tracks, Present Tense and True Love Waits had too much weight behind them for me to give them a fully honest assessment first time through. Did like the latter more the second listen however; those keyboards are protecting Thom's heart from reaching us ;_;

Gonna listen a few dozen more times to place it in the RANKINGS

Just turned off the TV, lights, and everything else besides the computer with my best headphones hooked up. Ending this weekend right.

Sadsic

Identikit and Ful Stop to me are really really good... maybe like top 15 tracks of all time for Radiohead for me

album as a whole is really good, probably my favorite album by them since Hail to the Thief

Bronx-Man

Banned
Decks Dark
Ful Stop
Glass Eyes
The Numbers

giphy.gif

Look at the OP and add In Limbo, Give Up the Ghost, and A Wolf at the Door. Shame on OP for omitting them. It's pretty much all great except for Fitter Happier, which isn't even a song. Get to it!

I would have added in at least In Limbo and A Wolf at the Door were it not for the fact that I restricted myself on up to at least five songs per album and picked songs I think were a lot more well known than others. Otherwise, there's some songs missing that absolutely would have made that list like In Limbo, The Tourist, Kid A, We Suck Young Blood, All I Need etc.

Out of all the songs I picked, the one that resembles my taste most is Amnesiac as all of those are the five songs I love most from that album.

ful stop and identikit did get nerfed. I want that live oomph so bad.

it's okay tho I'm sure the live studio versions will be out at some point to make me appreciate it more

I'm really digging this album. Unlike King of Limbs, I feel like I'm reliving those first special listens of In Rainbows in my apartment.

As someone mentioned earlier however, one thing this album could have a bit more of is peaks/crescendos. I also personally feel like it doesn't flow as a whole, but rather feels more like a playlist of different Radiohead songs. Which isn't a bad thing for the music itself, as each song has something to appreciate, but maybe (at least not yet) I don't feel that the album is tied together.

I would have added in at least In Limbo and A Wolf at the Door were it not for the fact that I restricted myself on up to at least five songs per album and picked songs I think were a lot more well known than others. Otherwise, there's some songs missing that absolutely would have made that list like In Limbo, The Tourist, Kid A, We Suck Young Blood, All I Need etc.

Out of all the songs I picked, the one that resembles my taste most is Amnesiac as all of those are the five songs I love most from that album.

You done good on the OP, friend.

Just listened from beginning to end with no distractions. I am shook. This is so raw. Thom putting it all out there.

I feel like I'm the only one a bit disappointed by this, but I probably just need to give more lessons. It's solid but just doesn't grab me like their other records. A bit too similar throughout. But I love TKOL so eh

I'm really digging this album. Unlike King of Limbs, I feel like I'm reliving those first special listens of In Rainbows in my apartment.

As someone mentioned earlier however, one thing this album could have a bit more of is peaks/crescendos. I also personally feel like it doesn't flow as a whole, but rather feels more like a playlist of different Radiohead songs. Which isn't a bad thing for the music itself, as each song has something to appreciate, but maybe (at least not yet) I don't feel that the album is tied together.
really feel like this is part of the ambient influence

Album really just flows, is restrained

I feel like I'm the only one a bit disappointed by this, but I probably just need to give more lessons. It's solid but just doesn't grab me like their other records. A bit too similar throughout. But I love TKOL so eh

I'd say it's a headphone record where you can really appreciate the subtlety. Hope it grows on you man!

I'd say it's a headphone record where you can really appreciate the subtlety. Hope it grows on you man!

Truth. This album hits 100x as hard with headphones and no distractions. I'm not one to sit in a dark room and soak in an album, but this one benefits from your full attention.

I've got to wind down and hit the sack. Fuck work! Vacation in 4 weeks.

Pillville

Someone get The Smashing Pumpkins on the phone. Let them know a different album deserves the title "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"

bomma_man

So far Numbers, Glass Eyes and Tinker are my favorites. Lots of listening left to do though.

Main negative is that I think Thom's lyrics keep getting worse over time. Some pretty bad lines on here. :/

This is where I'm at too. The teenaged earnestnest of true love waits is almost a breath of fresh air compared to the first year of uni impressionistic drudgery elsewhere. But, looking back, I'm not sure he was ever much of lyricist. Thankfully the music's amazing!

Anastasia

I can't believe how good the album turned out. I have to listen to it more, but honestly I would put it above everything except OK Computer. Which is very high praise. Hard for me to pick out a favorite track, but I'm leaning toward Ful Stop. I love the energy and how it builds up. I'm sure others have already mentioned this, but I think this album should appeal to most Radiohead fans. There's something for everyone here.

Also ordered the special edition.

Released

The only line that's jumped out to me as being bad is Identikit's "broken hearts / make it rain"

I've forgiven cheesy lyrics before though (see: Sail to the Moon)

I've got a final in the morning and all I wanna do is listen to Radiohead.

This album is much more mellow than I thought it would be. That's not a bad thing at all though. I miss live Identikit, but that solo is amazing. I'm looking forward to taking this album in for the next week's/month's/year's.

Yeah I listened to it with headphones, I mean like I said it's solid and definitely amazingly produced but those are the highest praises I can throw it at so far.

Yeah, I noticed this while driving to it. There's so many subtle layers to it, and you really need headphones to get the full effect.

Yeah I have a pretty damn great system and typically prefer it to my (also very nice) headphones for listening, but the details on this are so fucking deep on headphones. Listened to it on the way back from Palo Alto on Caltrain and was in another universe.

This is definitely top tier Radiohead. I expected them to do something amazing after seeing TKOL on tour and hearing how jazzy and loose they were getting with that material. You can hear them building off the studio experiments with layering from TKOL but mixing it with the live band and adding a string section. Ful Stop and Identikit lose some bite compared to their live versions, but make up for it in swirling cosmic psychedelia.

Expectations surpassed.

jacobs34

Getting this and the new James Blake in the same week feels like sitting down to a thirty course meal. This will be enough to last me until fall.

Blader

There's something a bit strange about Thom's vocal delivery on Ful Stop that I can't put my finger on, but it makes for a weird cool effect on the lyrics.

I don't know, but by the end of this album I got a bit teary eyed, and sorta nostalgic. This album is really special, I enjoyed every song on this album, and then it all culminated in True Love Waits, a combination of new and old Radiohead. I just really love this record!

watershed

Banned
Can't wait to give this a proper listen when I am less busy. I hope it's awesome and makes a good first impression. Lately even good albums have taken time to grow on me. It's been a while since a first listen blew me away.

I ordered the Super Duper Amazeballs edition but until that is released on vinyl it is the higher bitrate downloadable files...

I cannot honestly rank this album yet, on my fourth playthrough as I type this.

I can however say it does not disappoint nor does it feel rushed. I have a strange relationship with this band and they have been a huge part of my life for a very long time. I am honestly very satisfied to have this album out.

Top Bottom