• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

RoKKeR

Pretty sure it will come to Spotify but Apple Music had a timed exclusive. Apparently it was briefly up on Google Play Music but then taken down again. These exclusivity deals happen with most major releases these days.
Which is so damn obnoxious, I might add.

hughesta

Banned
the choir kicking in during Present Tense will move me to tears one day. Absolutely indescribable feelings from that.

jacobs34

I should probably stop listening and go to bed so I can do adult things in the morning.

(Thinks/puts headphones back on/clicks play again)

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
The 20 bucks sitting in my Itunes account finally has a use! I love Radiohead!

Deeku

Thom finally releasing True Love Waits on the album after his divorce is just

fuck, man

fuck.

I'm utterly destroyed.
I kind of really wonder how much of it was finally figuring out how to nail it vs purely to with his personal life. I'm guessing we'll never know. It will be interesting to see whether they ever talk about their process for this album considering all the silence/non communication surrounding it.

SamVimes

<- still listening to it on spotify, the tracks aren't even greyed out anymore.

On another note I'm so glad this is the album that came out before I see them live for the first time.

Gave this album a shot and it's really good. I absolutley love identkit. When that choir kicks in.... Sooo good. Present tense is great too. Lots of variety in this album. Only problem I have with it is its hard to understand him sometimes and then I have to look up the lyrics to see what he's actually saying lol.

I'm kind of disliking TLW with every listen :/

Present Tense is extremely good OMG can't get over it
Yeah his voice sounds really grating in true love waits to me. Probably my least favorite song.

GG-Duo

I really like this version of True Love Waits. In comparison to their I Might Be Wrong version, this is much more interesting and captures a bit of the original 1995 background keyboards... while at the same time not being reincarnated/gutted like Motion Picture Soundtrack.

To me, it lost that youthful soaring desperation but it's much more existential and the tone is kind of at odds with its content. I love it.

yepyepyep

Some of the songs on this album kind of reminds me of Laetia Sadier's solo album "The Trip". Deck's Dark in particular; the piano sounds very similar to Natural Child.

Danielsan

This album is simply incredible.

Identikit, The Numbers, Full Stop, Glass Eyes, Daydreaming, Decks Dark, Day Dreaming, Burn the Witch, just pure <3

I almost love every track on this album and even the tracks that don't blow me away are very solid and growing on me.

Right now Identikit has to be my favourite track.It's stellar. And Glass Eyes tugs on my heartstrings more than True Love Waits, I just wish it wasn't so short.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Downloaded it this morning in a mad rush at 6am and chucked it on my phone to listen to on the commute to work. Got to Glass Eyes when I arrived and I haven't stopped listening to it. What a beautifully fragile song.

I love their usage of strings in all of the songs so far and they've been saying since the pre-release of Kid A that they always wanted to implement them, but had trouble utilizing them properly. We saw it slowly evolve over the last few albums, especially on some of the b-side releases like Harry Patch, but this time it feels like they really nailed it in all aspects.

Have barely touched The Numbers or Present Tense or Tinker Tailor but from all accounts that I've heard it seems that I will love them.

I just cannot let go of Glass Eyes.

Good morning guys. I had the craziest dream last night that it was 2016 and Radiohead dropped one of the best records of their entire career.

Mental, right?!

Danielsan

I'm fairly confident at this point that this may be my album of the year. Everything on this album is either great or downright amazing. I also can't believe just how much I'm digging Burn The Witch after being down on it initially.

RoKKeR

THOSE FUCKING STRINGS IN THE NUMBERS

Holy shit! When they hit!
Best song on the album, hands down. Maybe a Top 5 Radiohead song for me.

Alright I have to stop listening now and throw a podcast on or something. Really pleased with the album, it's been a fun day. First time being "day one" for a Radiohead album.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Present Tense sent me to the moon of paradise with nothing more than constant head sways and feet beats. "In you, I'm lost."

I can't get over how full these songs sound. As if they were all pioneered correctly. It reminds me of In Rainbows with hints and shades of Amnesiac; yet proudly thumps passionately with its own original appeal. The string arrangements are beyond mesmerizing and the choir bits interspersed in the latter songs are genius. I am going to love listening to all of these songs and having Thom's words make sense.

The album makes me feel like I am scared to peer around the corner to notice the shadows of my own creation chasing me down, only to be embraced boldly from behind by a warm & gentle soul. A beautiful sensation.

Danielsan

I enjoy the new James Blake, it's really good, but it's not this good. I also just haven't been as in love with his output as I was with his self titled album.

Still, hell of a gift. Two great albums of some of my favourite artists in one week.

Servbot24

Banned
This is where I'm at too. The teenaged earnestnest of true love waits is almost a breath of fresh air compared to the first year of uni impressionistic drudgery elsewhere. But, looking back, I'm not sure he was ever much of lyricist. Thankfully the music's amazing!

Not to mention "my world comes crashing down" and "people have this power"... gag

RoKKeR

Any word on when this might show up on Google Play?
I've been checking but really have no idea. It was up earlier today before the official release and then was pulled... No idea when/if it will come back.

I'm convinced they are punishing Google for posting it early haha.

dmshaposv

Daydreaming
Glass Eyes
True Love waits

The emotional gut punch of these songs is staggering. Jonny's strings and Thom's vocals are on fucking point.

THOSE FUCKING STRINGS IN THE NUMBERS

Holy shit! When they hit!

Yeah, really great. There's definitely a heavy Beatles/Sgt. Pepper thing going on with the strings in this album.
They really nailed the epic larger-than-life classic rock sound. I mean, this is a real album.

After about 5 listens, loving the album. To be honest, I was never obsessed with True Love Waits, so I like this version since I don't have a deep amount of listens to compare it to. It's a really beautiful album overall -- exactly what I was hoping for after King of Limbs didn't feel so cohesive (even though I've grown to like it).

Horseress

Still not up on Spotify? Glad I went to Apple Music.

Is Apple Music that better? I have Spotify but considering changing, not sure where to go tho. To put it clear, things I miss in Spotify: Offspring and In Rainbows (and now A Moon Shaped pool)

FerranMG

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't this album a sort of b-sides compilation?
From what I'm reading (haven't listened to it yet), it looks like there's plenty of songs that people have known for years, and only now are they being put on record.

From what I'm reading (haven't listened to it yet), it looks like there's plenty of songs that people have known for years, and only now are they being put on record.

how does that make them b-sides?

Nicktendo86

Used to be in total and utter love with Radiohead (even have the special edition records of In Rainbows and King of Limbs, despite never owning a record player) but I actually had no interest in this for some reason, until seeing true love waits is FINALLY released. Is it a decent version? Will wait until it makes it's way to google play before downloading I think, but love hearing good things about this.

Listen to it and you'll know this album's legit. I'm not even a Thom Yorke fan, but this is next level stuff.

Altazor

Used to be in total and utter love with Radiohead (even have the special edition records of In Rainbows and King of Limbs, despite never owning a record player) but I actually had no interest in this for some reason, until seeing true love waits is FINALLY released. Is it a decent version? Will wait until it makes it's way to google play before downloading I think, but love hearing good things about this.

it's certainly a bleaker one, despite having the exact same vocal melody. It sounds sadder, more heartbreaking. More like Videotape or Motion Picture Soundtrack than Fake Plastic Trees.

Top Bottom