• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

denx

I just finished giving this album a second listen and I was left speechless when True Love Waits ended. All this talking about AMSP being Radiohead's last album is silly, BUT if this was really it then I can't imagine a better song to finish a career than this version of TLW.

Aomber

I'm way too shaken up about this album right now to comprehensively post my thoughts, but wow. Just... wow. This is the first time in a long time I really just don't know what to say.

I'm gonna have to listen to this a few times to really think about it.

bsp

Decks Dark is still sitting in the standout track spot IMO. Such a good feel from it. Ful Stop is putting up a good fight, though..

Released

I just noticed that of the 3 songs in their career that go over 6 minutes, two of them are on this album lol. Longer tracks on this release than usual for sure.

denx

I just noticed that of the 3 songs in their career that go over 6 minutes, two of them are on this album lol. Longer tracks on this release than usual for sure.

4 songs. You're probably forgetting Supercollider which is 7 minutes long.

Yeah I listened to it with headphones, I mean like I said it's solid and definitely amazingly produced but those are the highest praises I can throw it at so far.

Fair enough man. I can see a lot of the detail getting missed if you don't have a decent system or headphones, but looks like you have that side of things covered!

Kyonashi

So I want to buy this album physically - but I'm currently on holiday and I want it for the flight back tomorrow. It's *still* not on Spotify, do I have any other options than buying it both on the iTunes Store through my phone and then physically when I get home?

I really want to hear it but I don't want to pay for it twice...

denx

Oh shi-

I don't have b-sides or singles in spotify where I looked.

The non-album singles released around the time of TKOL (Supercollider / The Butcher and The Daily Mail / Staircase) are really sweet. The band uploaded the songs to their YouTube account, check them out.

Not sure if posted yet but, Clive Deamer worked on some of the songs of the album (Ful Stop) and is touring with Radiohead again. Cool that he's back, he's a very good drummer.

26632507970_06f5468e2c_n.jpg

Get'sMad

was kinda ambivalent on my first listen earlier today but I just threw it on my big speakers/sub set up and it sounds really great

decks dark slays

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to hear this in person. I hope they tour Australia again.

ZeroRay

Love the jazzy, somewhat tropical rhythms found in all the tracks featuring acoustic guitars. (DID, Numbers, Present Tense)

after first listen it's as subdued as king of limbs but in a wildly different direction where everything is shimmering and gorgeous. definitely want to get home and listen to it somewhere that isn't an airport.

RoKKeR

Damn, I think The Numbers is becoming one of my favorite Radiohead songs with each subsequent listen.

And I know it's old hat at this point to comment on the OP's choices of song (great OP btw, typo is amazing, too!) but leaving Radiohead's best song aka Subterranean Homesick Alien off the list for OK Computer is downright criminal. That is all.

1st listen and I loved it, but wouldn't have called it one of their best.

Upon repeated listens, it just gets better and better though. Wouldn't be surprised to find myself considering it among their best before too long.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Where ya'll getting the album from?

Any word whether it's coming to Spotify or not?

Griss

Damn, I've listened through it fully 4 times now, and have listened to my fav songs way more than that. Been listening straight for almost 7 hours now. Even skipped dinner and doing my Sunday laundry.

Impressions now: It's shockingly beautiful. It's gorgeous. Tons of great songs. It's a great album.

On the other hand a lot of it doesn't have the emotional hit that Radiohead's albums usually have. It doesn't feel like journey like most of them do, taking you to the highs and then right into the depths. I don't think it works as a total 'album' like their very best do. Even the final three songs on TKoL brought far more emotion out of me than anything on this album. That said, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Because this really does sound new for them with the strings and choirs, which they use so perfectly, and the laidback style of much of the album makes it much easier to listen to than most of their stuff.

As my (totally musically ignorant) opinion on the songs: Still don't like Burn the Witch as the opener, other than the fact that the album starts up instantly with those awesome strings going full volume. But Thom's lyrics here are borderline cliche for him. Possibly my least favourite song so far. I was worried when this was the first song revealed, lol. Thank god that was unfounded.

Daydreaming is magnificent - damn near brought me to tears when it was released on Friday, but now I miss the video when I listen to it, hah. The video was incredible, and actually added a lot to the experience. One of my top three.

Decks Dark went over my head on first listen, but it's fantastic. First appearance of that heavenly choir, and holy shit is it good. At the same time there's a few songs that are at a similar emotional register and pace on the album, and on first listen they blended into each other for me. The last minute with that funky piano in the background is great.

Man, I was not expecting to hear the kind of pure acoustic guitar that Desert Island Disk opens with on this album. Such a refreshing breath of air, perfectly placed at this spot in the album. The 'you know what I mean' section is awesome, feels like he's speaking right to you. The more new-agey lyrics at the start aren't the best on the album, though.

Ful Stop blew my fucking mind on the first listen. Came out of nowhere and sounds nothing like anything they've done before. Those horns, that ominous guitar sound... God damn, I want more of this Radiohead. Sounds like a Can jam or some other krautrock kick. Absolutely incredible, and the shift 3 minutes in is godly. "Aaaaalll the good times" god damn it's so fucking good. One of my three favs and an all-time best.

They had to bring us back down, so I guess Glass Eyes drew the short straw. It's beautiful in the way most of the songs on the album are, and they confessional lyrics are a new one for Thom as far as I know. Once again, the strings elevate what could be a bit of a dull song into something more. That said, this song is great in the album in this spot between two stone cold classic, but I can't imagine listening to it much on its own.

Identikit is fucking phenomenal. I must have listened to it near 20 times already. The bass groove, those frisky drums, that break into 'broken hearts make it rain', that choir out of nowhere, then back into the groove... everything about it is incredible. My favourite lyrics on the album, too. Just mind-blowing. The standout, imo, just edging Daydreaming and Ful Stop.

The Numbers - I'm not sure I like the production on this one. Thom just sounds a bit murky or something. Great song, but it might have been stronger with less ambient noise around the guitar and drums - because those core elements are stunning. (Also I feel like I've heard that core guitar melody before, somewhere) Maybe it'll grow on me a bit more but I really wish Thom was a bit more clear on this one. Also don't like the ending crescendo into fade out that much either.

Present Tense opens so fucking well, holy shit. That melody is beautiful. I could really do without the mutli-reverb Thom voices. Also still undecided on some of the lyrics. 'This dance is like a weapon' ...hmmm. But then the rest of the verses are utterly awesome. And from 'In you I'm lost...' and the choir kicks in... it's amazing though I wish the melody was a little more, uh, 'standard' here. But that'll make it interesting on multi-listens. Feels like a classic, yet I'm not totally convinced yet.

I love their more electronica stuff (fucking loved Thom's Amok shit), so I was relieved to hear the opening of Tinker Tailer - that's my shit right there, and we were running out of songs! I've heard some people think this one's boring, but I love it. Could have done with more like it! The way the electronica gives way to strings makes it feel like Thom's handing the song over to Jonny, lol.

Predictably, I couldn't handle True Love Waits on my first listen. Just too different from what I knew. A few listens later, god almighty he nailed it. The vocals are the focus, and Thom makes his plea sound so desperate, it's perfect. Still not sure I like it as the closer - I would have loved Tinker Tailer or even Daydreaming as the closer. TLW feels a little bolted on to me, like one of those old 'secret tracks' after a couple of minutes of silence on CDs back in the day.

Still can't believe how much of a surprise this album is, touching on so many different styles and themes.

It's like a greatest hits album, but with all new tracks.

I had that exact same thought. A bit like a far more consistent Hail to the Thief, except almost every song is There There tier and there's not one single mediocre/bad song (sorry We Suck Young Blood, you really did suck).

The only line that's jumped out to me as being bad is Identikit's "broken hearts / make it rain"

I've forgiven cheesy lyrics before though (see: Sail to the Moon)

I love that lyric. People getting their hearts broken does inspire good art, as the rain sustains living things.

Deeku

I don't really understand why Thom decided to slightly alter the key for Present Tense. It was fine as it was...

RoKKeR

Love
Burn the Witch
Decks Dark
Glass Eyes
The Numbers
Tinker Tailor
True Love Waits

Daydreaming
Desert Island Disk
Present Tense
Identikit

Meh/Dislike
Ful Stop

This after 3 listens. Way more positive on this record than I thought I would be, considering that I really am not a fan of TKOL at all and wasn't sure what direction they would be going this time. The instrumentation and warm atmosphere on the album is really something, and I love how much depth each track has. There is a lot that feels new about this album in terms of overall sound, and that is pretty damn incredible for a band that has experimented as much as Radiohead. A great record, but no idea where it will slot yet.

Withnail

Where ya'll getting the album from?

Any word whether it's coming to Spotify or not?

Pretty sure it will come to Spotify but Apple Music had a timed exclusive. Apparently it was briefly up on Google Play Music but then taken down again. These exclusivity deals happen with most major releases these days.

Top Bottom