• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

Blader

Rehearsal/stage set-up:

VFXOsv6.jpg

Damerman

Didn't want to listen to the album at first after KoL.... But after listening to daydream, i'm not gonna put this off anymore.

Deeku

Also new artwork has been posted again on DAS, which to me is a sign of nothing of interest coming soon.

I could be wrong though!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CigK_kCWkAAclhf.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's kind of odd to start a separate twitter account all of sudden. But yeah I have zero expectations cos we already got what we wanted last week!

Helmholtz

This album is really, really good all the way through. It's up there with In Rainbows, Kid A, and OK Computer for me. Time will tell if I end up liking it more than those, but it's certainly great.

Broseybrose

Well. This is a fantastic soundscape album. As far as great songs go, I still feel like OKC and In Rainbows are perched at the top, with The Bends close behind. I'm sure my regard for this album will only climb through the next decade of listening, as In Rainbows did.

Griss

Final thoughts:
Amazing album, I love it. But I prefer
The King of Limbs.
Listened to them back to back to confirm. They're all pretty much 5 star albums, though. Love them all.

dmshaposv

The band really hasn't been the same since Ed O'Brien died.

Serious question - while I know ed contributed to some of the songs in ok computer. He seems like the most 'disposable' member in the band.

The other four play a very strong part at least - thom and jonny strongly contribute in the sound and creative direction of each song - along with being the lead singer and guitarist, respectively.Phil is the drummer and colin is always on point with the bass lines. Ed is just kind there - I mean all the other dudes look like crack addicts and he looks decent - but what does he do??

Horseress

Serious question - while I know ed contributed to some of the songs in ok computer. He seems like the most 'disposable' member in the band.

The other four play a very strong part at least - thom and jonny strongly contribute in the sound and creative direction of each song - along with being the lead singer and guitarist, respectively.Phil is the drummer and colin is always on point with the bass lines. Ed is just kind there - I mean all the other dudes look like crack addicts and he looks decent - but what does he do??

Maybe that's why he's still in

Released

I'd say he's still important. First of all, he has some valuable contributions even after OKC. Treefingers (his guitar work treated with a bunch of effects), Go To Sleep, A Wolf at the Door, and Weird Fishes all have prominent guitar riffs he wrote, and that's just the ones I know. He's also an effects wizard and creates a lot of ethereal background lines that I love.

Like here's a song (time-stamped in a place where it's hopefully easy to tell what's happening) where it's easy to think he's not doing much, probably because we don't even hear it as guitar lol. But he creates all of those eerie background noises with effects and playing with an ebow. Just wouldn't be the same without him imo.

Xrenity

Final thoughts:
The King of Limbs.
Listened to them back to back to confirm. They're all pretty much 5 star albums, though. Love them all.
Yeah I don't really want to choose between them. Love them for different reasons.

Blader

Ed writes guitar riffs and adds a lot of ambient textures to the songs, at least in live performances if not the studio too. They also all have input on how the arrangements sound even if they don't play an actual part in a given song.

Servbot24

Banned
It's a good thing Radiohead doesn't subscribe to the "every band member must play their designated instrument an equal amount of time" train of thought.

SamVimes

Final thoughts:
The King of Limbs.

I liked the king of limbs more before i heard the basement version. It's just so much better in almost every way to the point that it makes me feel like the album was rushed.

Zach

After numerous listens, I'm feeling...

1. Kid A
2. OK Computer
3. The Bends
4. Hail to the Thief
5. In Rainbows
6. Amnesiac
7. A Moon Shaped Pool
8. Pablo Honey
9. The King of Limbs

...right now. I could see it climbing a few spots after an extended break, though. 4 through 6 tend to dance around already, and I feel like A Moon Shaped Pool is on their level.

Servbot24

Banned
I'd say...

1. OKC
2. A
3. KA
4. HTTT
5. IR
6. AMSP
7. TB
8. TKOL
9. PH

IR and AMSP are very close and could potentially switch places. Right now I think IR has more memorable songwriting.

Sullichin

I'll make a meaningless list since this album has me listening to constant Radiohead again

1. OK Computer
2. Kid A
3. A Moon Shaped Pool
4. In Rainbows
5. Amnesiac
6. Hail to the Thief
7. The Bends
8. King of Limbs
9. Pablo Honey

Sounds about right. And I don't dislike KoL at all. Separator might be my #1 favorite Radiohead song.

Get'sMad

yeah I've really grown to love this one

my all important rankings that will no doubt change in 2 weeks....

Kid A>OKC>AMSP>HTTT>Amnesiac>IR>Bends>TKOL>PH

Sun Drugs

I honestly think this is their best work. Then again, my first exposure was Creep...then OK Computer, The Bends, Kid A....

Here is my list:
1. A Moon Shaped Pool
2. In Rainbows
3. OK Computer
4. The King of Limbs
5. The Bends
6. Kid A
7. Hail to the Thief
8. Amnesiac
9. Pablo Honey

Tenebrous

I honestly think this is their best work. Then again, my first exposure was Creep...then OK Computer, The Bends, Kid A....

Here is my list:
1. A Moon Shaped Pool
2. In Rainbows
3. OK Computer
4. The King of Limbs
5. The Bends
6. Kid A
7. Hail to the Thief
8. Amnesiac
9. Pablo Honey

What the...

What the fuck?

WHAT THE?!?

I'm enjoying AMSP, but I'm nowhere near putting it close to Kid A, In Rainbows, or OK Computer yet.

RoKKeR

What the...

What the fuck?

WHAT THE?!?

I'm enjoying AMSP, but I'm nowhere near putting it close to Kid A, In Rainbows, or OK Computer yet.

I've got it at 5, personally. *shrug*

1. In Rainbows
2. OK Computer
3. The Bends
4. A Moon Shaped Pool
5. Kid A
... the rest.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I watched In Rainbows from the Basement yesterday on yt. I said goddamn. That was a near-religious experience. So good. I love how they snuck a few HttT songs in there. Mixamatosis sounded great, have a new love for that song because of that version.

When I know KoL well enough I'll check out the Basement sessions for that too.

I just now realized that all of the b-sides are on Spotify too, that's great. Is this close to a best-of list? I never listened to the b-sides much, but I never got why Talk Show Host never made The Bends, such a great song.

Blader

I just now realized that all of the b-sides are on Spotify too, that's great. Is this close to a best-of list? I never listened to the b-sides much, but I never got why Talk Show Host never made The Bends, such a great song.

Well, that's certainly most of them. :lol

I would add Meeting in the Aisle, The Amazing Sounds of Orgy, Paperbag Writer (the live version is fun), Move Along, Down is the New Up, Bangers and Mash (live version is dope), and These Are My Twisted Words (not a b-side, but a one-off single between In Rainbows and TKOL).

Grieves

I watched In Rainbows from the Basement yesterday on yt. I said goddamn. That was a near-religious experience. So good. I love how they snuck a few HttT songs in there. Mixamatosis sounded great, have a new love for that song because of that version.

When I know KoL well enough I'll check out the Basement sessions for that too.

The Basement sessions helped me grow to love TKOL.

Also disappointed Banana Co isn't on that list - I have a fondness for that song.

RoKKeR

Also up on Google Music.

I might be imagining it, but it looks like a bunch of other singles and extra tracks from pablo Honey all the way up until recently have been added for streaming. On Google Music Australia at least.

Yeah, I can't remember if they were there before but now there are a handful of single releases from the OKC/Bends era with B-sides and remixes. I've only heard album tracks from Radiohead, so I might dig into these this weekend.

megalowho

Banana Co, Lewis (Mistreated), Molasses, The Amazing Sounds of Orgy and Bangers & Mash would be on my list as well.

Edit: Forgot I Am a Wicked Child, has a low key vibe I really like.

jambo

Yeah, I can't remember if they were there before but now there are a handful of single releases from the OKC/Bends era with B-sides and remixes. I've only heard album tracks from Radiohead, so I might dig into these this weekend.

Last I saw they had the 2 disc versions of the albums, but when they were taken down it was just the regular albums on there.

Now there are tonnes of things!

Great for me, I've been meaning to go through the B-Sides, never really looked in to them.

More new artwork from DAS today:

Left hand side... Polar bear wearing an orange vest. Cannot unsee.

Oh and Spectre is up on iTunes to buy as well. Would recommend doing so even if you've listened to the free Soundcloud download to death; don't know whether it's remixed or it was just the Soundcloud compression but the production sounds better here. Vocals and strings in particular.

Top Bottom