• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

Mantower

Neo Member
I feel like this is a controversial ranking, but here goes:

1. Kid A
2. The King of Limbs
3. Amnesiac
4. In Rainbows
5. OK Computer
6. Hail to the Thief
7. A Moon Shaped Pool
8. The Bends
9. Pablo Honey

I'm a bit sad that TKoL isn't considered that great. I really think that TKoL and Kid A are their most original albums.

Blader

I'm guessing you have a download of Spectre as well somewhere? Spotify fucks that up a lot of the times.

I do, but on a separate laptop.

I think it must be my spotify -- there's an album (not Radiohead) that is not loading for me either. Both of these things were flagged as notifications for me, so maybe there's a weird bug preventing notified tracks/albums from playing for me...which seems very counter productive for that feature :lol

SamVimes

At this point Ful Stop is rapidly climbing my best Radiohead songs rankings. I don't want to start another list war but The National Anthem is definitely at the top.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so i didnt realise for a long time but thom garbles out something about 'a moon shaped pool' over and over in identikit, right at the start. whats he on about?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

1. Kid A
2. The King of Limbs
3. Amnesiac
4. In Rainbows
5. OK Computer
6. Hail to the Thief
7. A Moon Shaped Pool
8. The Bends
9. Pablo Honey

I'm a bit sad that TKoL isn't considered that great. I really think that TKoL and Kid A are their most original albums.
Right on. I'm getting tired of seeing everyone act like KOL is Pablo Honey level music. It's gorgeous. I'd put Hail To The Thief behind this new one though, actually.

denx

1. Kid A
2. The King of Limbs
3. Amnesiac
4. In Rainbows
5. OK Computer
6. Hail to the Thief
7. A Moon Shaped Pool
8. The Bends
9. Pablo Honey

I don't like TKOL that much because most of the songs on the album, even the ones I like, feel like they had their life sucked out of them in the studio. TKOL overall feels like a lifeless husk to me, which makes the difference with the live counterparts of the songs even more jarring.

That said, it has Bloom, which is one of the best RH songs ever.

Btw you guys got me listening to the RH b-sides again. Now on India Rubber and goddamn that song is sweet.

Madouu

No clue, but its my favorite track so far.

listening to identikit is like having someone lift me up to the sky and then send me to shatter into little pieces onto the ground, it's so freaking powerful.

also, list:
1. Hail to the Thief
2. OK Computer
3. Kid A
4. A Moon Shaped Pool
5. Amnesiac
6. In Rainbows
7. The Bends
8. Pablo Honey

Album ranking? Shit, I need more time with this before we get to that. But as it currently stands:

OK Computer > A Moon Shaped Pool > In Rainbows > Amnesiac > Kid A > The Bends > HTTT > TKOL > Pablo

Yeah... maybe... we'll see....

General observations would be that Amnesiac is under rated, Kid A is kind of over rated, TKOL is still not particularly great (I regularly skip 3 tracks... not great for an 8 track album)

Tenebrous

Album ranking? Shit, I need more time with this before we get to that. But as it currently stands:

OK Computer > A Moon Shaped Pool > In Rainbows > Amnesiac > Kid A > The Bends > HTTT > TKOL > Pablo

Yeah... maybe... we'll see....

General observations would be that Amnesiac is under rated, Kid A is kind of over rated, TKOL is still not particularly great (I regularly skip 3 tracks... not great for an 8 track album)

I don't know. The majority of users overrate it from what I see, but I guess it's all just down to where you sit in the first place.

To me, it lacks the cohesion & moment to moment brilliance of Kid A, and the track by track powerhouse of records like In Rainbows and even HttT - If I'm picking great Radiohead songs, I'm getting more from The Bends, OKC, Kid A, HttT, In Rainbows, AMPS, and potentially TKOL (depending on my mood).

I don't know. The majority of users overrate it from what I see, but I guess it's all just down to where you sit in the first place.

To me, it lacks the cohesion & moment to moment brilliance of Kid A, and the track by track powerhouse of records like In Rainbows and even HttT - If I'm picking great Radiohead songs, I'm getting more from The Bends, OKC, Kid A, HttT, In Rainbows, AMPS, and potentially TKOL (depending on my mood).

Pyramid Song, You and Whose Army, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out, Hunting Bears, Spinning Plates, Glass House are all great to me. Hell, I even like Dollars and Sense quite a lot! I agree about the lack of cohesion compared to Kid A especially, but I think Kid A peaks in the first 4 tracks, then I only really like Optimistic and Idioteque honestly.

album rankings are so boring.

So give us something entertaining to talk about!

I went back and listened to the live versions of Ful Stop and Identikit last night, and was surprised at how fully formed they were back in 2012.

denx

Pyramid Song, You and Whose Army, I Might Be Wrong, Dollars & Cents, Like Spinning Plates, Life in a Glasshouse.

I get the criticism about Amnesiac lacking cohesion (somewhat), but saying that it's lacking powerhouse tracks is just nuts to me.

And I already posted this, but since you guys like your lists wars:
Kid A > In Rainbows > OK Computer > A Moon Shaped Pool > Amnesiac >>> The Bends >>> Hail to the Thief > The King of Limbs >>>>>>>>> Pablo Honey

Blader

Dollars and Cents, Like Spinning Plates, and even I Might Be Wrong are very subdued tracks on the album, though. Like the first half of TKOL, they don't really become powerhouses until played live.

Horseress

An obscure photograph has surfaced on DAS.

What does it mean...

This one?

mvrytjC.png

we are lost, indeed

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
That's the one.

I would've linked to it, but I'm on mobile at the moment.

It's probably just a picture of Amsterdam for their upcoming show.

pretty sure it's not amsterdam. the poles at the end don't look like an 'amsterdammetje'. the road posts in Ams have a wider base than the top. the alley doesn't look very amsterdamish in general either, can't say why particularly, but that's a stupid drain on the wall... wtf is the purpose. piss storm water all over the street when it rains hard?

Xun

pretty sure it's not amsterdam. the poles at the end don't look like an 'amsterdammetje'. the road posts in Ams have a wider base than the top. the alley doesn't look very amsterdamish in general either, can't say why particularly, but that's a stupid drain on the wall... wtf is the purpose. piss storm water all over the street when it rains hard?
I didn't think it looked like Amsterdam, but I'm just trying to remain calm and rationalise things. :p

Horseress

Important to point out too is that the links to the new album aren't on DAS's home page anymore, like they were before, even with the new artworks they've been putting there

there's something going on

Its come to a point where i've realized list wars are pointless. Their library is just so diverse everyone is going to have a different one.

Anyways their first show is in a three days! Hopefully we getting some good footage

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Putting things in ordered lists of importance is a bad habit. I try not to look at art that way, at least.

The opening of Glass Eyes on headphones is so awesome.

Cannot wait to see how this album is live, the stage photos don't seem to have room for strings. While that is initially disappointing, hearing these tracks with a more standard band arrangement and necessary adjustments would be interesting as well.

Blader

Seems a bit odd to shoot a music video three days before your tour begins, but oh well.

I was surprised by how much I loved the first two, since I usually think music videos are garbage. If this leads to a third single, hopefully we'll get a new b-side out of it too!

Putting things in ordered lists of importance is a bad habit. I try not to look at art that way, at least.

I think it's fine as long as you don't take it seriously. Humans love organising things, making things fit. It's something we are wired to do. It's a convenient way of sharing your thoughts with other people, as long as you don't actually think it means or truly defines anything.

Anyway, list wars aside, how do you guys feel about the album versions of Ful Stop and Identikit compared to the live versions? At first I was a bit let down by the comparative lack of energy, but now I think Identikit in particular sounds better on the album.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's a convenient way of sharing your thoughts with other people, as long as you don't actually think it means or truly defines anything.

So, if I'm reading that right, you're saying... they're ultimately meaningless and it's pointless writing them...?

I agree! :D

Anyway, list wars aside, how do you guys feel about the album versions of Ful Stop and Identikit compared to the live versions? At first I was a bit let down by the comparative lack of energy, but now I think Identikit in particular sounds better on the album.

I prefer the motorik propulsion of studio Ful Stop at the moment, but that may change when I get to see it played live.

So, if I'm reading that right, you're saying... they're ultimately meaningless and it's pointless writing them...?

I agree! :D

I prefer the motorik propulsion of studio Ful Stop at the moment, but that may change when I get to see it played live.

The "point" of lists is to make discourse quicker and easier (but obviously less meaningful)

The live version of Ful Stop sounded really heavy with its beat. I was really looking forward to hearing that or Identikit which they played the show immediately preceding mine, but they played Staircase instead so no complaints!

Top Bottom