• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Salsa

Wallach said:
This reads like you mean to disagree with them, but you're totally agreeing with them.

I dont disagree that there's a difference of course, but im saying that the difference between 30 and 60fps is much more important/noticeable.

Wallach

SalsaShark said:
I dont disagree that there's a difference of course, but im saying that the difference between 30 and 60fps is much more important/noticeable.

Right, but you are saying that because your displays have a native resolution that is not 1080p. At least that is what you implied, anyway. 720p on a 1080p monitor looks like shit, even as a framerate whore I would never lower the resolution below native to keep 60 FPS.

Gvaz

Banned
SalsaShark said:
30fps is noticable, but there's less of a difference between 30 and 60 than there is 30 and say 10, because one is where the limit starts to be fluid (30)

SOoooo, if a game is at least 30fps I can deal with dips every now and then to 10 as long as the image quality is crisp, compared to a blurry output at a non-native res, but have the fps be 60 with dips every now and then to 30 or so.

The image quality is more even at 720p/60, I wont disagree with. Is it good enough for me with my setup though? Not even.

Wallach said:
Right, but you are saying that because your displays have a native resolution that is not 1080p. At least that is what you implied, anyway. 720p on a 1080p monitor looks like shit, even as a framerate whore I would never lower the resolution below native to keep 60 FPS.
A-fuckin-greed.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wallach said:
I think 30fps is worse than 720p on a 1080p monitor.

Salsa

Oh yeah, i mea i was never trying to speak from a "720p on an 1080p native looks great" perspective. Forcing a lower res than native always looks like crap. But 720p on a monitor that is made to handle just that looks perfectly fine.

Wallach

SalsaShark said:
Oh yeah, i mea i was never trying to speak from a "720p on an 1080p native looks great" perspective. Forcing a lower res than native always looks like crap. But 720p on a monitor that is made to handle just that looks perfectly fine.

That was the whole point of them telling you "you're saying that because you have a 720p display.", haha.

FINALBOSS

Banned
jett said:
It's simply too bad there's no option for PS3 users to install the whole thing on the HDD.

Isn't it confirmed the entire PS3 install is all textures? All the devs said the PS3 version was easily the way to go--rivaling the PC.

Salsa

Wallach said:
That was the whole point of them telling you "you're saying that because you have a 720p display.", haha.

I thought he was implying that i was blind-defending it cause i wanted to feel good about it or something, lol.

Definity said:
Anyone know the size of the wasteland compared to other games? Bigger than say just cause 2?
Also curious to see how well hidden the sewer entrances (preorder bonus) will be to find.

Don't have an answer for you, but there's no way in hell it'll be even close to as big as just cause 2. I'd guess probably Borderlands size or smaller.

Wallach said:

I would rather play at 720p 60 on a 1080p monitor than 1080p 30 on a 1080p monitor.

Letters said:
That looks incredible. Gorgeous colorful artstyle, the environment seems like a real place where every nook or cranny is unique, not a bunch of repetitive chunks of geometry put together so the player has a place to walk through. And the animations, specially during dialogue.. damn! All will be wrapped in 60fps to boot. Can't wait to admire it all in person. Also I thought this was gonna be a linear corridor shooter but it seems like a really open game with quests from npcs, inventory, minigames, hidden side missions, exploration and whatnot. AWESOME

Thats why people are saying borderlands 2.5

FrankT

FINALBOSS said:
Isn't it confirmed the entire PS3 install is all textures? All the devs said the PS3 version was easily the way to go--rivaling the PC.

Carmack said they all use the same textures. The whole gamerblorge super rez stuff was nothing but BS. All they said was that with the 8Gb install they were able to install the highest textures available sans super rez.

John Carmack @
@belkheldar the texture are exactly the same on all platforms.

What Carmack said originally still looks to be the case even with the 8GB install. PC>360 install>PS3 install>360 disc.

AHhhh, so nice to wake up and have my pre-load finally complete after like 18 or 19 hours..now hopefully when it unlocks the game will be in some sort of playable state on my now aging pc .

eshwaaz

Sysgen said:
It's fucking Borderlands
If you mean Borderlands, but with amazing atmosphere and sense of place, great enemy hit and death animations and meaty, satisfying-looking gunplay, then I somewhat agree.

Twinduct

So anyone outside NA still having trouble pre-loading? Keeps saying it can't pre-load now. Hell it doesn't even check really, like pressing on pre-load within microseconds the error pops up.

JohngPR

onlyindreams said:
yeah I really can't decide what console to get this on now...

I'm in the same boat. I was thiniking the PS3 version for sure since it's on one disc, but now I'm not so sure.

AEREC

eshwaaz said:
If you mean Borderlands, but with amazing atmosphere and sense of place, great enemy hit and death animations and meaty, satisfying-looking gunplay, then I somewhat agree.

Sometime it does look like a souped up borderlands.

garath

I have to lay off the footage. I really want to experience it myself. I have to say everything looks amazing though. It's going to be a tough wait until Tuesday.

M.W.

JohngPR said:
I'm in the same boat. I was thiniking the PS3 version for sure since it's on one disc, but now I'm not so sure.

What makes you not so sure about the PS3 version?

sp3000

Jtyettis said:
Carmack said they all use the same textures. The whole gamerblorge super rez stuff was nothing but BS. All they said was that with the 8Gb install they were able to install the highest textures available sans super rez.

Great, now the PC gets the same garbage textures intended for consoles with 512mb RAM.

I love lazy port jobs.

Vire

Thanks folks! Looking forward to it.

This wasn't even really on my radar until that Jackal Canyon video came out and I've been nothing but impressed with the recent videos. After the recent BF3 disappointment, this certainly jumped up on my list for FPS action.

Prodigal

Banned
Hmm I wonder if I'll be able to run this at 1920x1200 with my gtx 260 (and an i-2500k). Might have to wait for performance impressions before I bite.

pakkit

Banned
AEREC said:
Sometime it does look like a souped up borderlands.
...But the gameplay is different. Borderlands is more like Diablo. This gives me a stronger HL2/single-player FPS vibe.

A couple of questions:

1. How many weapons can you carry at one time?
2. What resolution does RAGE run at on consoles?

C-Jo

pakkit said:
...But the gameplay is different. Borderlands is more like Diablo. This gives me a stronger HL2/single-player FPS vibe.
I am 100% on board if either of those comparisons are accurate.

garath

Prodigal said:
Hmm I wonder if I'll be able to run this at 1920x1200 with my gtx 260 (and an i-2500k). Might have to wait for performance impressions before I bite.

With the lower system requirements I bet you can. I would be shocked if you couldn't.

garath

pakkit said:

A couple of questions:

1. How many weapons can you carry at one time?
2. What resolution does RAGE run at on consoles?

You can carry all the weapons. It's a dynamic resolution. Stays at 720p most of the time I believe

Tom Penny

sp3000 said:
Great, now the PC gets the same garbage textures intended for consoles with 512mb RAM.

I love lazy port jobs.

Pretty much this. Total BS and it's 20+ gig on PC. Granted you get higher resolution and AA but the same textures? Fail.

MrTroubleMaker said:
nRCM6.jpg
All yesterday and every time today so far.

What the fuck Steam? I thought we were cool.

LOL, so i pop out of getting in some CS:S crack time and what pops up? One of the huge banners from steam saying PRELOAD RAGE NOW BEFORE IT UNLOCKS!!

Oneself

Hard to tell if the game is running at a "kinda steady 60fps" when almost every videos ever released are 30fps. Including those recent Youtube ones...

DieH@rd

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Quick question:

Is it 60fps on all platforms?

Is this about right on which versions are best? PC>360>PS3

Acording to iD its PC> PS3 > X360, but console versions are very close to eachother. PS3 has less texture popping.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jaundicejuice said:

Yep. As it so happens it's my week off (every 5th week is a non-teaching week), so I don't have to worry about filling up the car or paying for parking. A happy coincidence!

I do have more money to my name, but it's called "savings" for a reason. :p

JaseC said:
Yep. As it so happens it's my week off (every 5th week is a non-teaching week), so I don't have to worry about filling up the car or paying for parking. A happy coincidence!

Add me on Steam. Mostly Harmless, Salsa and a few of the regs in the Steam thread have me on their friends list if you can't find me via search.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jaundicejuice said:
Add me on Steam. Mostly Harmless, Salsa and a few of the regs in the Steam thread have me on their friends list if you can't find me via search.

Okay.

Top Bottom