• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

KePoW

Banned
Blimblim said:
No one cares about the actual tech as long as it looks good. Rage looks incredible for a 60 fps game on 6 years old consoles, but I still can't help but notice when a burning projectile falling from the sky doesn't light up the environment around it. It's highly subtle and I guess I'm one of the rare people who actually notice and/or care about it, but that's how I'm :)
That doesn't make this engine any less of an achievement, of course.

I completely agree with you, in regards to dynamic lighting for weapons. It really sucks when a game doesn't have that.

But I do agree with some posters above who say that baked lighting is perfectly fine for the world and environments, and sometimes even preferable.

Solo said:
So id has had a second team working on Doom 4? Sweet!
Yeah, it's like how Square Enix splintered their teams to work on the various XIII games. Carmack hasn't said anything about D4 at Quakecon 2011 cause he wanted focus to be on Rage this year. Just that it'll come out sooner than you think due to Rage taking up manpower. It'll be "more awesome than Rage", and have "up to 30 demons crawling on you", if that doesn't merit excitement, only a super shotgun to the face will.

peakish

Solo said:
So id has had a second team working on Doom 4? Sweet!
They sure do, and I think they've been at it since 2008 or even earlier. Hopefully they're just waiting to get Rage out of the gate before showing it!

Blimblim said:
No one cares about the actual tech as long as it looks good. Rage looks incredible for a 60 fps game on 6 years old consoles, but I still can't help but notice when a burning projectile falling from the sky doesn't light up the environment around it. It's highly subtle and I guess I'm one of the rare people who actually notice and/or care about it, but that's how I'm :)
I don't notice it quite as often, but I agree. D3's united lighting was marvelous and I do wish that D4 builds on that - though I'm certain that I'll enjoy it whatever it is they're doing with those 3x graphics :p

Solo

That many enemies onscreen, at once? Oh my. I thought those days were long dead with Doom 2. God bless you, id!

You guys watched the All Your History: ID software series on youtube?

I just watched it and I found it really interesting.

According to that series, the reason Id took so long is because Carmack insisted on having a small team because thats what they always did, they just took a damn long time doing Doom 3 and Rage because of that.

But I think in 2009 they teamed up zeni max so they will be getting games out much quicker.

Zeliard

Quake V would be great but it better be multiplayer-focused. ;)

Shamblers and Fiends and the Lovecraft-inspired art and atmosphere were cool, but Quake is still to this day the greatest multiplayer shooter - and perhaps greatest online game - ever made. Can't wait till id gets back into the MP scene.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Blimblim said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's part of the reason why games like Killzone 2/3 look so outstanding- it has ridiculous lighting systems.

Solo

Zeliard said:
Quake V would be great but it better be multiplayer-focused. ;)

Shamblers and Fiends and the Lovecraft-inspired art and atmosphere were cool, but Quake is still to this day the greatest multiplayer shooter - and perhaps greatest online game - ever made. Can't wait till id gets back into the MP scene.

Here's what I want:

Quake V: MP focus
Doom 4: SP focus

Make it happen, id.

peakish said:
They sure do, and I think they've been at it since 2008 or even earlier. Hopefully they're just waiting to get Rage out of the gate before showing it!
That is assuredly the case since they said they were deep in development in '09. If I was Carmack, I'd have a huge grin on my face with all the people salivating over Rage while fully knowing Doom 4 is gonna kick its ass up and down the street.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
~Kinggi~ said:
Real Time lighting was really just an attempt to have the graphics engine handle a lot of the lighting work and save artists a lot of time anyway. Im sure with Rage the artists have achieved an amazing look with the baked stuff that can look a lot better than what a lot of the newer graphics engines render.

Well it also allows for... dynamic lighting, like day-night cycles, which can add to the gameplay too. Splinter Cell would have been shit without dynamic lighting.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Solo said:
Here's what I want:

Quake V: MP focus
Doom 4: SP focus

Make it happen, id.
MP focus? Quake V should be MP only.

Fersis said:
MP focus? Quake V should be MP only.
Hey, am I the only one with fond memories of Quake campaigns? There are a metric fuckton of multiplayer focused shooters already out there, everywhere you look. The more solid campaigns the merrier imho.

Yes, I want it all. :)

Solo

Wallach said:
Personally I'd rather both of them had a SP focus, and they did something with Quake Live for the MP stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I think Quake should have an SP campaign ala Quake 1's. But the meat of the game would be the MP. And the opposite would be true for Doom 4 - it would have at least a deathmatch MP component, but the meat and potatoes would be an epic single player campaign in which you descend to the bowels of hell, super shotgunning 40 demons, who want nothing more than to rip you limb from limb, in the face for 20+ hours.

So bring some math in it, I'd like:
Quake V: ~25% SP focus, ~75% MP focus
Doom 4: ~75% SP focus, ~25% MP focus

peakish

Wallach said:
Personally I'd rather both of them had a SP focus, and they did something with Quake Live for the MP stuff.
That would be marvelous. Arena deathmatch obviously doesn't sell well anymore but maybe it could drum up hype for the SP in an f2p mode? The more players the better.

Edit: Man I tried my best to avoid this thread since I can't play the game but I just love Id too much. For me they have defined gaming.

Suairyu

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Well it also allows for... dynamic lighting, like day-night cycles, which can add to the gameplay too. Splinter Cell would have been shit without dynamic lighting.
Well, Tech 5 can do dynamic lighting, they just chose not to with this game as it doesn't need it.

It can't do global illumination, though, so day night cycles in the real-time sense are impossible. There's always the Shenmue route of rendering different times of day and having transitions... but I doubt an id game would have much use for dynamically changing time of day anyway.

HooYaH

I hope Doom 4 isn't about that horror closet monster stuff. It should be "you" brutally taking on hordes of demons
w/ a chainsaw and beserker mode on

Solo

One thing I'd LOVE to see in Quake V, and I don't care if it doesn't give with the return-to-Q1-aesthetic - the Quake 2 railgun NEEDS to return. Greatest. Weapon. Ever.

~Kinggi~ said:
Real Time lighting was really just an attempt to have the graphics engine handle a lot of the lighting work and save artists a lot of time anyway. Im sure with Rage the artists have achieved an amazing look with the baked stuff that can look a lot better than what a lot of the newer graphics engines render.

The big advantage with real time lighting is the way it helps characters 'fit' into the environment better. Sadly that still seems to be a problem with rage. Looking at a screenshot of a landscape though and comparing real time vs well done baked lighting, the baked lighting will win every time. You can just do so much more with it.

I think it's more because they are going for 60fps.
This. Early demos of the engine had plenty of dynamic lights going on at once (and it looked absolutely stunning). Hopefully we see them return in Doom 3.

peakish

Solo said:
One thing I'd LOVE to see in Quake V, and I don't care if it doesn't give with the return-to-Q1-aesthetic - the Quake 2 railgun NEEDS to return. Greatest. Weapon. Ever.
That moment between pressing the button and the weapon firing is sooo good.

Solo

peakish said:
That moment between pressing the button and the weapon firing is sooo good.

Yes it is. And I LOVE the trail it left behind. There are few things I've ever experienced in gaming as satisfying as nailing someone with a headshot with the railgun while jumping off a platform in Q2DM1.

Gattsu25

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
This. Early demos of the engine had plenty of dynamic lights going on at once (and it looked absolutely stunning). Hopefully we see them return in Doom 3.
I'm pretty sure you'll see dynamic lighting in Doom 3

commissar

Wallach said:
Yeah I'd like to see Quake Live evolve and expand further too.

I've been playing through Quake for the first time (never owned a pc when it came out) as my anticipation for Rage made me hype.

The game stands up so well even today, so a singleplayer focused Quake V in that style I would buy day one!

In the meantime we'll just have to kill an assortment of wasteland warriors :D

peakish

Solo said:
Yes it is. And I LOVE the trail it left behind. There are few things I've ever experienced in gaming as satisfying as nailing someone with a headshot with the railgun while jumping off a platform in Q2DM1.
The only thing I can think of is pulling out the Gauntlet at the right moment in Q3 for dat Humiliation (+ gib).

Wallach

Solo said:

It was definitely the noise for me. id weapons are always godlike.

Solo said:
So bring some math in it, I'd like:
Quake V: ~25% SP focus, ~75% MP focus
Doom 4: ~75% SP focus, ~25% MP focus
OK, I can compromise. Make Doom the best damn campaign ever and I can forgive Quake getting a pure multiplayer focus.

peakish

delta25 said:
I asked this before but never got a response so I'll ask it again, any word on the consoles resolution?
AFAIK 720p, though they drop it in intense situations to keep the framerate at 60.

Eusis

Only way I'd want Quake to focus on single player instead is if they brought back the style of the original game. If they were to just go with the style of Quake II and IV I'd really rather an MP focused game. Especially if it can avoid many of the trends of modern ones, really don't want to have to play a ton just to get a decent gun... then again, maybe doing that for better STARTING weapons with the traditional "pick them up from around the map" system wouldn't be too bad.

commissar

delta25 said:
I asked this before but never got a response so I'll ask it again, any word on the consoles resolution?
720p @60hz.

If under an unusually intense situation (lots and lots of cars exploding maybe?) the resolution will dynamically scale down slightly to keep the framerate at 60hz.

This kind of resolution scaling is a worst case scenario so if you see I at all I imagine it woul be outdoors and not in the dungeons (so to speak).
As a result tearing shouldn't really be an issue :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Rengoku said:
Wouldn't framerate be a non-issue since the game uses dynamic resolution?

Dynamic res didn't prevent Wipeout HD from dropping frames. Especially Fury.

Truant

I'm a sucker for fetch-quests in open world games. The "fix the antenna" stuff from that video was old school and gave me a weird boner. In a good way.

commissar

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Girth of a coke can.

Does anyone know how many weapons are confirmed for Rage?
Well there's different ammo for weapons and then there's item based weapons like the wingstick, different level sentries or spider bots, different grenades etc.

pistol has like 3-4 different ammo types, as does the crossbow, so there's a fair bit of variety no matter what the actual number of weapons is.

And then there's the buggy weapons too.

Definity

I've only preloaded a couple games on steam. Is it normal for steam to give everyone this much trouble for big game releases?

sflufan

Banned
No, it's not -- this is a very unusual circumstance.

I've already informed my contact at id about it and he's emailed the relevant parties to see what's going on.

commissar said:
Well there's different ammo for weapons and then there's item based weapons like the wingstick, different level sentries or spider bots, different grenades etc.

pistol has like 3-4 different ammo types, as does the crossbow, so there's a fair bit of variety no matter what the actual number of weapons is.

And then there's the buggy weapons too.
Ah, got it. I was wondering about alt. fire, but upon rewatching I do see the player going through the menu to select ammo for the crossbow.

Top Bottom