• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
scorpscarx said:
Those sites scare me :p, :(.

I can vouch for IntKeys (FEAR 3, The Witcher 2, refunded a region-locked DE: HR key, refunded a Rage pre-order), CJS-CD Keys (DE: HR), CD Keys Here (Space Marine) and G2Play (Modern Warfare 2, WarCraft III and Diablo II Battlechests). PayPal is a common payment option if you're wary of using their own checkout systems (I certainly wouldn't).

felipepl said:
So, no signs of dynamic lighting? Are you really sure? Maybe that's just by design on a specific level or levels of the game to optimize overall performance. I'm pretty confident that you'll come by it sooner or later, if your already didn't. We have to remember that this is based on a brand new engine, and in this day and age, baked lighting as the only supported lighting method is kinda unbelievable.

I'm not super tech savvy and I'm just offering naked gamer impressions. Maybe there is and it's just super subtle. I'm only comparing this to Doom 3 where you step into the light source and you can immediately see the difference. You step away from the source, and you can see the light change. So far in RAGE, I haven't seen this. Also, because there's no Day/Night cycle, which is usually the most obvious place to see where the lighting works, It's tough to tell. I'm also comparing it to Dead Space, which seemed to have some real time lighting implementation, too, and it looked stunning. God of War 3, Half Life, etc...all seemed to have real time. RAGE? it doesn't SEEM so, but I'm only guessing.

The game looks fantastic regardless.

NBtoaster

Im kind of glad they didn't try some big new lighting scheme like with id tech 4. Stencil shadows and over-glossiness made id tech 4 age horribly. Half Life 2 with good old lightmaps aged far better.

Fjordson

Wow @ all these impressions. Have this pre-ordered on Amazon, but I'm tempted to just head to Best Buy for the midnight release. Need to play this asap.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MrTroubleMaker said:
yay finally ! it started to preload

14qknrsrxv.gif

eshwaaz said:
I wonder why the revolver sounds so pathetic in this video. It sounds much better; more powerful in the other videos - really a huge difference.

The guy said in the video he turned down the in game volume, that is why i believe.

I'm so conflicted right now. I really want to support id but what I've seen of RAGE so far is not enough for a day one purchase. That and Dark Souls is tempting me. Arggggg, GAH!

Lasthope106 said:
I'm so conflicted right now. I really want to support id but what I've seen of RAGE so far is not enough for a day one purchase. That and Dark Souls is tempting me. Arggggg, GAH!

What's the beef exactly? Who else is going to give you a 60 fps shooter?

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
my game started to pre-load bu it says 0 byte/s on velocity, yet it keeps downloading just fine

wat

That's what mines doing, I've already got almost 5GB downloaded and still says 0%.

kamspy

The wait for this game is starting to burn my loins.

Picking up the disc version at Gamestop. Well, the wife will be picking it up while I'm at work and hopefully installing the beast.

So damn hyped. I repasted my CPU this morning just for this game.

kamspy said:
The wait for this game is starting to burn my loins.

Picking up the disc version at Gamestop. Well, the wife will be picking it up while I'm at work and hopefully installing the beast.

So damn hyped. I repasted my CPU this morning just for this game.

You know you are hardcore and belong to the master pc race when you re-paste your cpu LOL, nice!

14% preloaded. This feels real.

Its like listening to Santa slowly making his way down the chimney to put a present on my coffee table marked "Open October 4th -- best regards, id"

iavi

Hallelujah @ at that first revolver loading animation in that guys vid. Seriously, such quality. I wasn't going to buy it day one... but I can't take anymore of this. This game is appealing to me as a graphics whore, a gun whore, and a sound whore. FFF.

Nice it auto start my preload, I guess because I had the preload window still open lol, came back to 30 percent downloaded, lets go!

M.W.

Phonomezer said:
Played about 30 mins worth yesterday. It really does look amazing.

Can't wait to get my own copy!

Awesome. I think it will be the best looking game on consoles when all is said and done this year.

charsace

Suairyu said:
Well, Tech 5 can do dynamic lighting, they just chose not to with this game as it doesn't need it.

It can't do global illumination, though, so day night cycles in the real-time sense are impossible. There's always the Shenmue route of rendering different times of day and having transitions... but I doubt an id game would have much use for dynamically changing time of day anyway.
You don't need GI to do day and night cycles. I'm sure Rage can do the fake GI that all games do.

SD isn't iD, but they do work closely with them.

I don't think it's the best looking game on consoles, but it's up there. The texture loading hurts it a bit, along with some jaggies and muddy textures. Under close inspection things tend to fall apart somewhat, but in motion it can be stunning.

Ran into a funny glitch. The game has been pretty bug-free, but this was hilarious and creepy at the same time. Sorry for the crappy cellphone quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcW00_4_j8U

M.W.

perineumlick said:
I don't think it's the best looking game on consoles, but it's up there. The texture loading hurts it a bit, along with some jaggies and muddy textures. Under close inspection things tend to fall apart somewhat, but in motion it can be stunning.

What beats it?

Marcellus Wallace said:
What beats it?
It's not fair to compare the two, but Gears 3 is the most recent graphics powerhouse out now, and just based off of the lighting and textures it looks better to me. Rage has larger environments to render, but for what it is it still accomplishes a lot technically. Rage looks marvelous, but I can't help but be distracted by the textures loading in after almost every turn of the camera. It will bother some more than others, but for me it breaks the immersion a bit.

M.W.

perineumlick said:
It's not fair to compare the two, but Gears 3 is the most recent graphics powerhouse out now, and just based off of the lighting and textures it looks better to me. Rage has larger environments to render, but for what it is it still accomplishes a lot technically. Rage looks marvelous, but I can't help but be distracted by the textures loading in after almost every turn of the camera. It will bother some more than others, but for me it breaks the immersion a bit.

I think the framerate will help persuade me. Love me some 60FPS on consoles. It's a rarity.

Yeah, the frame rate is delicious. The gunplay is so smooth and responsive; and the lack of auto aim is refreshing. 60fps definitely adds to the overall look of the game.

feel

perineumlick said:
Rage looks marvelous, but I can't help but be distracted by the textures loading in after almost every turn of the camera. It will bother some more than others, but for me it breaks the immersion a bit.
You're playing it on ps3 right? Maybe on the 360 (installed) that issue is not there. *crosses fingers*

Ugh, im so worried the game is going to look like ass because of my cpu ang gpu not being up to snuff, fuck :/ . If it looks like crap or runs like it, im going to hold off playing it until i upgrade my pc.

Letters said:
You're playing it on ps3 right? Maybe on the 360 (installed) that issue is not there. *crosses fingers*
I believe BlackBanditSho is playing on 360, and he reports the same thing. Now, which one is more prevalent remains to be seen. DF should have something up in the next couple of days.

M.W.

perineumlick said:
I believe BlackBanditSho is playing on 360, and he reports the same thing. Now, which one is more prevalent remains to be seen. DF should have something up in the next couple of days.

I believe the pop in is prevalent in both console versions. Since you're playing on PS3 I might as well ask (as it's been asked before I'm sure), is aiming/shooting mapped to R1/L1 or R2/L2?

nel e nel

perineumlick said:

I concur with this assessment. The textures on RAGE do not hold a candle to Gears 3, but this is on 360 (installed), and specifically close up.

The draw distances and skybox are AMAZING - shit looks good from far away. But a rusty gas can right at your feet? blech.

What it lacks in environmental clarity, it makes up for in the character modeling in spades. I said elsewhere that it's almost the yin to Deus Ex's yang: superb character modeling and animation, not the greatest environment design.

It's very much like Borderlands as far as structure goes: go to location X, acquire item Y, return to me for reward Z.

The gameplay is tight though, great gunplay and the AI is pretty effing amazing. Judging this game solely on graphics nitpicks would be a disservice.

Top Bottom