• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Deadbeat said:
Second, there is no settings of the graphics. The game "auto detects" the best settings. This "feature" is pretty pathetic. Auto detect has never worked in any game I played. Its complete bullshit.

Sigh..

I installed The witcher 2 two days ago on my new pc. It recommended medium settings...

I now play with ultra settings and ubersampling at 2560x1440 with a 30 fps during the first act. So yeah RAGE better be having some ini to tweak or something.

Wallach

Corky said:
Sigh..

I installed The witcher 2 two days ago on my new pc. It recommended medium settings...

I now play with ultra settings and ubersampling at 2560x1440 with a 30 fps during the first act. So yeah RAGE better be having some ini to tweak or something.

Don't insult Carmack by comparing him to a bunch of greenhorns.

Lemonz

Ketchup Boy said:
Just got confirmation from newegg for only a beautiful $42.99!!! Yippie!
So did I, but mine's at $46.75 because of California's sales-tax. If it's being shipped from California, it should arrive here tomorrow.

DieH@rd

Banned
Deadbeat said:
There is no footage of the PC version that Bethesda hasnt controlled the feed of. So noone knows how the PC version will work.

Second, there is no settings of the graphics. The game "auto detects" the best settings. This "feature" is pretty pathetic. Auto detect has never worked in any game I played. Its complete bullshit.

Same is on the consoles. Game automaticly throtles down the graphics [and even resolution of the game] on the fly to achieve 60fps gameplay at all times.

I expected the same for PC. I really dont care, i have enough horsepower for 1080p@300fps according to the recommended system specs. :)

Here's a pretty sweet deal for UK GAF,

DJ4qA.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
iumogg said:
I think this will cause some controversy.

"RAGE: I took the opportunity and looked at the options menu. There were no graphic options beside resolution, brightness, anti-aliasing and GPU transcoding. Is this a limitation of the test version?

This is a feature of the id Tech 5. The Engine automatically adjusts to your hardware to ensure the best performance and graphics the hardware can provide.
For example: You have a video card with 512MB VRAM, 4GB of normal RAM and a decent processor. Now the id Tech 5 adjusts the quality of the Level of Detail to the available resources. If you have twice the RAM the engine scales dynamically up to it, improves the textures and objects in the far look sharper and more detailed. At the same time the engines tries to keep running at 60 FPS even though this is not also possible – dependent on the situation."

http://www.idgames.de/showthread.php/12896-idGames-Exclusive-Interview-with-Tim-Willits
*IF* that actually works as advertised, I think it is an incredible feature that should become more common in PC games.

I'm still skeptical, however, but we'll see. It does immediately remind me of Messiah back in the 90s as it pimped this same kind of idea (while not really working at all).

Eusis

dark10x said:
I'm still skeptical, however, but we'll see. It does immediately remind me of Messiah back in the 90s as it pimped this same kind of idea (while not really working at all).
The fact this is id is the only reason I seriously expect this might just work. Even then I'm concerned about the future if any curveballs get thrown in regards to GPU performance, sort of like how CPUs changed from being only about raising Hertz to increasing cores and just being better working.

Truespeed

Yes! Just got the shipping notice for the PS3 version I pre-ordered for $39 during an E3 promotion. I may need to keep it sealed until the DF and LOT analysis is completed.

forrest

formerly nacire
dark10x said:
*IF* that actually works as advertised, I think it is an incredible feature that should become more common in PC games.

Yeah this sounds amazing, but what happens when you want to take those amazingly high resolution, ultra detailed screen shots, that would otherwise run like shit?

Geoff9920

Supervlieg said:
Does anyone find the lack of reviews worrying? I guess they would be pouring in by now. Or am I missing something here?
Unfortunately, it's becoming more and more common for publishers to hold reviews of games until the day a game releases. I think this is the case with Rage.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nacire said:
Yeah this sounds amazing, but what happens when you want to take those amazingly high resolution, ultra detailed screen shots, that would otherwise run like shit?
I couldn't care less about that, myself. I only care about the experience I get while playing the game.

peakish

nacire said:
Hopefully you can bring down the console and type some stuff into that.

iumogg

Neo Member
Supervlieg said:
Does anyone find the lack of reviews worrying? I guess they would be pouring in by now. Or am I missing something here?

I saw a reviewer post on twitter that the embargo is up at 9:00 PM PST

charsace

dark10x said:
Why does your blood boil over personal choice? While I prefer using a mouse and keyboard, I also like to relax and enjoy a game in my theater. When I'm at my desk, it's mouse and keyboard, but downstairs I'll almost always switch to a controller instead. It's more convenient and comfortable plus I get the benefit of actual analog character movement (which is nice).

For a competitive PC game, I could understand the complaint, but a pad is more than ample for any single player game.
I don't think he's bothered by people liking kb/m more than pad. Its all the nonsense that people post like auto aim or you don't have to aim that upsets people.

Bazhard said:
guess ill wait for the 29.99-39.99 price drop around black friday or before then :(

Could have pre-ordered via newegg for $42.99 and I'm sure other sites have it close to that( I think Buy.com has it at $49.99).

dark10x said:

the reality is, a game running at 60 fps on consoles that has the same assets on PC (eg same texture resolution) will fly on a modern PC so its kind of irrelevant. As long as I get vsync I'm fine with it.

garath

So we're not talking about the most important hidden gem of this potentially fantastic shooter.....

The collectible card game!!

Any of you guys with early releases finding some cards yet? You working on your deck??

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Derrick01 said:
I thought we knew this already, that the game auto detects settings? I mean I'm not thrilled about it either as they always undersell what my computer can do but I'm willing to have faith in id.
I have faith in Carmack to design the auto detect functions properly.

For the first time in years I don't have enough money to buy all the games I want. (Thanks re-enrolling in college). I may actually pick this up over Dark Souls tomorrow.

Has anyone with the game found any of the sewers yet? If memory serves, they were supposed to be a feature for those who bought the game new but I haven't seen it mentioned since ID last spoke about them.

garath said:
So we're not talking about the most important hidden gem of this potentially fantastic shooter.....

The collectible card game!!

Any of you guys with early releases finding some cards yet? You working on your deck??

are you serious? or do u mean the non-video game card game?

(._.)

Banned
Deadbeat said:
There is no footage of the PC version that Bethesda hasnt controlled the feed of. So noone knows how the PC version will work.

Have they confirmed this? I can't recall ever playing a single PC game that does this.

epmode

thetrin said:
I have faith in Carmack to design the auto detect functions properly.
Sure, but I also have faith in Carmack allowing you to override the settings if you want. If not, WTF.

garath

cleveridea said:
are you serious? or do u mean the non-video game card game?

Serious. There's a collectible card game in-game. Around the wasteland you can find collectible cards to add to your starter deck and play in-game.

I'm curious if anyone's tried it yet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome! Sounds like I'll be playing a bit of RAGE tonight.

(._.)

Banned
I'm more worried than excited for the launch tonight. Mainly for how the pc version will turn out. I just hope it s well optimized and not overly buggy. I'm hoping the game itself will be great but I'm not really worried about that.

pakkit

Banned
(._.) said:
I'm more worried than excited for the launch tonight. Mainly for how the pc version will turn out. I just hope it s well optimized and not overly buggy. I'm hoping the game itself will be great but I'm not really worried about that.
I wouldn't be too worried.

Wikipedia entry on Rage said:
At QuakeCon 2011, Carmack mentioned a number of additions PC version of RAGE might receive in the forseeable future. These include unofficial patches as Carmacks named them "research engine things, "far-out technologies"; such as HMD support, Kinect support, "tracing, splatting, voxels and non-polygonal stuff", "perfect motion-blur" and "perfect anti-aliasing". id Software is committed to update the id Tech 5 engine past Rage's development.

During the Keynote, Carmack also stressed a number of times that the PC version would possibly get a "super quality texture pack" to fix low-resolution(blurry) textures that Rage suffers at the shipping dataset which is identical to console counterparts.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Deadbeat said:

But, to be fair, it should run maxed out on anything with a video card.

garath

Vire said:
Oh boy...

From the other thread.

Gamasutra's UK Editor:

captureb7gv.png

There's a lot of hush hush negative twittering going around Destructoid, gamasutra and joystiq. I expect their reviews to be lower than the average. Unfortunately for them I can't even remember the last time I've visted their sites for a gaming review. I'll look for Eurogamer and EDGE reviews tomorrow. Their reviews are generally in line with my own feelings.

Eusis

Truespeed said:
The Apple press conference is 1 hour later. Which is perfect timing because I expect Tim Cook to announce that the full version of Rage will ship preloaded on the quad core iPhone 5.
... Either you're thinking 12 PM, as in noon, or Apple is completely insane and holding a press conference at 1 AM.

Top Bottom