• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

kamspy

I can't believe tomorrow is actually tomorrow.

I've only watched a couple official trailers. No streams. No YouTube gameplay vids. Nada. Well, I did watch that history of id thing on YouTube.

So fresh and so clean.

My only real issue with the game is that it can be very filler/fetch questy at times.

Par example (very light spoilers):

You need to get a specific car. To do this you have to win a race. To even enter the race, you need to go do an arena fight.

charsace

Effect said:
Only because of auto aim/snap to target and aim assist. These significantly help with the frustration that would result of having to be accurate with aiming. That Rage doesn't have it on the console is something I didn't realize.
You do know people have played pc fps with controllers right? Controllers aren't as good as mouse/kb for fps, but it can be used.

Gvaz

Banned
charsace said:
You do know people have played pc fps with controllers right? Controllers aren't as good as mouse/kb for fps, but it can be used.
It makes my blood boil but I just try to ignore it.

Effect

Curufinwe said:
Your post is the first I've heard of it. Still interested in the 360 version, though. I actually have more free space on my 360 hard drive than on my PC's hard drive.
Perhaps I misread things but I thought that was the case. If I'm wrong someone feel free to correct.

Wallach

kamspy said:
I can't believe tomorrow is actually tomorrow.

I've only watched a couple official trailers. No streams. No YouTube gameplay vids. Nada. Well, I did watch that history of id thing on YouTube.

So fresh and so clean.

Steam version unlocks in 11 hours. Won't even be tomorrow out here on the west coast.

Ricker

Let`s hope you can adjust the auto aim a bit and it`s not crazy accurate like Crysis 2 for example,playing withe 360 controller hehe....in and out of iron sight in Crysis and you auto aimed/targeted guys a mile away hehe...

x-Lundz-x

Effect said:
Only because of auto aim/snap to target and aim assist. These significantly help with the frustration that would result of having to be accurate with aiming. That Rage doesn't have it on the console is something I didn't realize.

Carmack has been quoted as saying during development that if he saw any of the testers playing with mouse+kb they were scolded. The game has been designed from the ground up to play amazing with a controller.

Gvaz

Banned
garath said:
I remember someone a few pages back with a laundry list of complaints. One of them was not putting weapons away when talking to an NPC. That was apparently a major issue for him.

Well watching some of these uninterrupted gameplay videos he's definitely a nutcase. When you approach an NPC, you raise your gun up so it's not pointed at the person. When you are talking it appears you either lower the gun or put it away completely. Either way, it's out of sight.

As far as walking around with a gun out, it's a wasteland - I would too.

I really want to start seeing some reviews come in. It's obviously not going to change the fact that I've pre-ordered and will be playing the game day 1. But I'm curious if the negative feedback is going to be isolated or widespread. I really find it hard to believe a game with such pedigree and so many good impressions from Quakecon and E3 is going to have a poor showing.
Don't kill the messenger! It wasn't me, it was a copy/paste someone else said. This was just a few pages ago, you guys can't have that bad of memories.

Curufinwe said:
Your post is the first I've heard of it. Still interested in the 360 version, though. I actually have more free space on my 360 hard drive than on my PC's hard drive.

I thought that was its selling point?

Autoaim makes you weak anyways. If the game is going to correct your aim because you use a substandard device for fps games, you might as well not even play the game at all.

kamspy

Wallach said:
Steam version unlocks in 11 hours. Won't even be tomorrow out here on the west coast.

Yeah, would be nice if I didn't have to work tomorrow. But with a 4:40AM wake up time, midnight releases suck. Ask the red eyed me the morning after the Portal 2 launch. Not doing that shit again.

My Gamestop is having a midnight launch. Lord help me.

kx11 said:
damn it they removed my gameplay and gave me 2 strikes
Sometimes I hate the Companys reaction to leaked games and people uploading gameplay for it. Its not like you stole
right?
the game from their hands. They should give the strike to the store that sold it to you.

Gvaz

Banned
The only console that can play RAGE right now illegitimately is the 360 (and a small amount of them at that) so if he was playing PS3 he owns it without a doubt.

Gvaz said:
The only console that can play RAGE right now illegitimately is the 360 (and a small amount of them at that) so if he was playing PS3 he owns it without a doubt.
Several people in this thread have the game already, both versions. Some stores just sell these things when they get them in, is all. It's been out since Friday.

feel

Gvaz said:
Autoaim makes you weak anyways. If the game is going to correct your aim because you use a substandard device for fps games, you might as well not even play the game at all.
Do you seriously believe this uninformed garbage you're spewing or is this some sort of master race joke?

foxdvd

I found that Saints Row 2 was easier than GTA4...and it has no auto-aim vs the snap on of GTA4 (neither were hard actually) It just comes down to how the game is developed...how fast the enemies target you...and how many of them hit you from your blind sides...

Enemies will run at you, flipping and rolling, and you will be able to shoot them only if you were lucky enough to have started where they were standing. If you were to the left or the right, strafing moves you a full foot either way even with minimum stick pressure. You walk around everywhere with your gun drawn, which makes the dialogue awkward if you ask me. This wouldn't be an issue if this weren't fucking 2011, and they weren't making this game for the past 300 years. The dialogue itself is best read through the shitty subtitles that were more concerned with looking as though they're a part of the world, instead of "something that's there so you can read what was said." There is no skip ahead button for dialogue, so if you want to retrieve your next fetch quest from random Bartertown resident, you have to start them talking, then run 50 feet away until you're out of their talking range, and when you come back they'll be on the next node of the dialogue tree. Repeat until quest page comes up ala Dead Island. Enemies will drop weapons. You cannot pick them up. You return to the same Ghost hideout about 50 times within the first hour of the game.

The vehicle dynamics are shit. Races suck and are victim to immense rubber-banding (presumably because id is not known for their racing games) you can game the nitro on vehicles by tap tap tap tap tapping the button, because the nitro is a full bar that refills faster than the tap rebounds. The races are stupid as fuck and feel tacked on not in that UT2004 way of "other games have cars now, so here's some cars. I guess they kind of work. Neat!", but in the sense of "we just made a new engine, and we need to sell it to prospective buyers so that our programmer can continue his hobby of attempting to leave to return to his home planet where this bone-stock gameplay is still good, so lets put some cars in there in the hopes that a company will buy it for their next racing game, even though said game would have to be woefully small to make up for the complexity of the engine." The story is straight out of Fallout (or rather whatever Fallout is based on, but since Fallout 3 was such a recent success, drawing parallels is required) you're some asshole who was put into an "ark" (vault) because an asteroid was hitting earth. You're filled with nanites that explain the regenerative healing, and 100 years later you are released from your cryosleep in the ark and picked up by John Goodman. The fucking thing is 3 discs, feels like shit, and I'm glad it's not a fucking Doom or Quake game, because to release one of those with these mechanics would tarnish their pretty good history (Quality being: Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Quake 2, 4, ETQW) as I like Doom and Quake.

I will make a few counter-points to this:
You can up the sensitivity if you need to aim faster. In the main town, your gun is never drawn and you cannot bring it out. I went to Ghost Hideout ONCE in the first four hours. No, you cannot skip dialogue but the NPC's don't talk all that much. If enemies dropped weapons, it would break the economy system in this game. Racing and story - neither are amazing by any means but I wasn't playing the game for those aspects anyways.
Dude makes some good points but also nitpicks like crazy. Who cares that it's 3 discs?

Bazhard

Banned
Can someone clear something up for me? is the CO-OP actual coop through the entire campaign? or is it, it's own coop? that differs from the single player?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The Mana Legend said:
So is the review embargo until tomorrow or something? I figured I'd see some reviews by now.
Tuesday at 12:01am. Sucks, too. I've been DYING to talk about this game. =|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gvaz said:
It makes my blood boil but I just try to ignore it.
Why does your blood boil over personal choice? While I prefer using a mouse and keyboard, I also like to relax and enjoy a game in my theater. When I'm at my desk, it's mouse and keyboard, but downstairs I'll almost always switch to a controller instead. It's more convenient and comfortable plus I get the benefit of actual analog character movement (which is nice).

For a competitive PC game, I could understand the complaint, but a pad is more than ample for any single player game.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
dark10x said:
Why does your blood boil over personal choice? While I prefer using a mouse and keyboard, I also like to relax and enjoy a game in my theater. When I'm at my desk, it's mouse and keyboard, but downstairs I'll almost always switch to a controller instead. It's more convenient and comfortable plus I get the benefit of actual analog character movement (which is nice).

For a competitive PC game, I could understand the complaint, but a pad is more than ample for any single player game.
Does that mean you are going with the console version? I am still torn. The fact the console versions achieve 60 FPS makes this difficult for me because it opens the possibility for 7.1 and comfy couch without having to rewire my cables to my PC.

TheExodu5

Banned
You know, I was shitting all over the lack of color and all the brown in this game, but now that I've seen some videos, I take it back. The artistic direction seems great, and I love the touches of color everywhere.

garath

TheExodu5 said:
You know, I was shitting all over the lack of color and all the brown in this game, but now that I've seen some videos, I take it back. The artistic direction seems great, and I love the touches of color everywhere.

In the gamasutra interview he asked id about the graphitti type art all around the world. Once he said that, I started noticing it all over the place. It's a pretty nice touch.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DenogginizerOS said:
Does that mean you are going with the console version? I am still torn. The fact the console versions achieve 60 FPS makes this difficult for me because it opens the possibility for 7.1 and comfy couch without having to rewire my cables to my PC.
You could just move your PC over to your consoles, and play the best version on a comfy couch!

DenogginizerOS said:

been down that road. regretted it each time. 1080p +60fps means a lot. Also i bet there will be hi-res pack and stuff.

Now i also have my pc connected to my 3dtv plus 7.1 set up so the choice is even more obvious.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:

This is definitely their best art direction since Quake. I think it's phenomenal.

UberTag

Dacvak said:
Tuesday at 12:01am. Sucks, too. I've been DYING to talk about this game. =|
I know it's id Software and all but I can't help but feel that embargoes for new IPs are a bad idea. This can be remedied by a solid ad campaign but I can't help but feel this game underperforms no matter how amazing it is. Especially with it wedged between Gears of War 3 and Arkham City.

Dark Souls can survive being a niche title but the RAGE franchise sure as heck can't.

Deadbeat

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
There is no footage of the PC version that Bethesda hasnt controlled the feed of. So noone knows how the PC version will work.

Second, there is no settings of the graphics. The game "auto detects" the best settings. This "feature" is pretty pathetic. Auto detect has never worked in any game I played. Its complete bullshit.

Newegg finally charged me for my Rage preorder but it hasnt shipped at all though.

Edit: What happened to the days when Newegg shipped stuff out early?

iumogg

Neo Member
I think this will cause some controversy.

"RAGE: I took the opportunity and looked at the options menu. There were no graphic options beside resolution, brightness, anti-aliasing and GPU transcoding. Is this a limitation of the test version?

This is a feature of the id Tech 5. The Engine automatically adjusts to your hardware to ensure the best performance and graphics the hardware can provide.
For example: You have a video card with 512MB VRAM, 4GB of normal RAM and a decent processor. Now the id Tech 5 adjusts the quality of the Level of Detail to the available resources. If you have twice the RAM the engine scales dynamically up to it, improves the textures and objects in the far look sharper and more detailed. At the same time the engines tries to keep running at 60 FPS even though this is not also possible – dependent on the situation."

http://www.idgames.de/showthread.php/12896-idGames-Exclusive-Interview-with-Tim-Willits

Proc

Deadbeat said:
Second, there is no settings of the graphics. The game "auto detects" the best settings. This "feature" is pretty pathetic. Auto detect has never worked in any game I played. Its complete bullshit.

Wait...what? I've been on media blackout and my order has already shipped. Guess I will be modifying some sort of .ini file

Wallach

codhand said:
I thought someone said IGN would have a review up today....

We don't know who has the exclusive review to my knowledge, we're just assuming it is IGN. If it is, it will probably go up at 12 PM PST.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deadbeat said:
There is no footage of the PC version that Bethesda hasnt controlled the feed of. So noone knows how the PC version will work.

I already bought the game on Steam, but no graphics settings? This is an id game?

I'm getting a bad feeling about this. The PC version isn't some port job by a separate team, is it? I never even thought this could be a possible scenario considering it's an id game.

CoilShot

Deadbeat said:

Wow

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Crysis 2 as I recall had auto detect elements and it still smoked the console versions in every way. However, Rage achieves almost everything on console but at a lower res and less aliasing. In fact, Willits has described them as basically indistinguishable as far as gameplay. I am 100% certain this will look better on my PC, but how much better is what is elusive right now. I will buy this game I just need the Digital Foundry comparisons. Damn embargoes.

codhand

CoilShot said:

I_detect_fail-1.jpg

jk

Carmack 3:19

garath

iumogg said:
I think this will cause some controversy.

"RAGE: I took the opportunity and looked at the options menu. There were no graphic options beside resolution, brightness, anti-aliasing and GPU transcoding. Is this a limitation of the test version?

This is a feature of the id Tech 5. The Engine automatically adjusts to your hardware to ensure the best performance and graphics the hardware can provide.
For example: You have a video card with 512MB VRAM, 4GB of normal RAM and a decent processor. Now the id Tech 5 adjusts the quality of the Level of Detail to the available resources. If you have twice the RAM the engine scales dynamically up to it, improves the textures and objects in the far look sharper and more detailed. At the same time the engines tries to keep running at 60 FPS even though this is not also possible – dependent on the situation."

http://www.idgames.de/showthread.php/12896-idGames-Exclusive-Interview-with-Tim-Willits

I will reserve comment on auto detecting settings until I see the final product for myself. Speculating is useless. Just because auto-detect hasn't worked in the past doesn't mean this isn't feasible for id Tech 5.

Based on the system requirements though, the game should be maxed out on all the auto detect settings for most modern systems anyways. Heck, even prior to upgrading a couple months ago I would have killed the recommended settings and that was with a 4 year old build.

Derrick01

Banned
I thought we knew this already, that the game auto detects settings? I mean I'm not thrilled about it either as they always undersell what my computer can do but I'm willing to have faith in id.

Top Bottom