• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

JohngPR

Joystiq: Rage Review

"Written by Arthur Gies"

*closes tab*

Not being a jerk, my opinions are never in line with what he likes so there's no point in reading his review.

Mutagenic said:
So if you live on the west coast, do you have to wait until mightnight pacific time? It's still telling me it's not released yet when I try installing my disc version.
I'm on the west coast and its decrypting now.

Taking its sweet time...

JohngPR said:
"Written by Arthur Gies"

*closes tab*

Not being a jerk, my opinions are never in line with what he likes so there's no point in reading his review.
Agreed, not saying that the points he brings up aren't valid ones but I have never really agreed with him on much.

Link0080

Completely forgot this was coming out so soon, I guess I'll be getting up early to go to Target or something. Someone start posting PC shots!

Man, fuck unlock haha. I've done this every damn time and every time my connection just goes down the drain when everyone unlocks at the same time, Valve needs a better way to do these unlocks.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Dear Lord. This is the most painful decryption I've participated in yet - and this is the fastest machine I've ever done it on too!

GOOOO 29%!

JohngPR said:
I get all my games from Amazon and they usually give me a late shipping email, but this is the latest its ever been. Hope you are right. :)

They have never failed me on release date delivery and I buy 95% of my games from them. I can't say the same about other items I've bought from them, but I pulled out a 20 dollar GC from them when some no name delivery company delivered a 1 day shipping item 3 days late.

Ocaso said:
Average is whatever is awarded most often. In the US school system an average performer rates in the 70s, which is how games are typically scored. In that sense, 6/10 is most definitely below average.
Thank you, holy cow, somebody understands the psychology of numbers enough to conclude some common sense...or what should be common sense.
When games that are considered worst of the year material average in the 3s and 4s, no, 5s are not average even though, yes, it is the middle of the spectrum. When a disappointing AAA super hyped title like Metroid Other M gets 7 something for an average...and some even get 8s, no, 5 is not average especially in the context of a high budget game with decent marketing, pretty pictures, pedigree and thus hype.

5 is bad folks. Very bad. Reserved for games with no hype, marketing and the player doesn't like it one bit. Games bad enough the reviewer isn't scared to give it something under the dreaded 7. Sure, they'll sugar coat it and call it average, but if you read the rest of the magazine/website, you'll realize that it's the lowest grade they gave this month and next month and maybe even the month after that.

Average is indicated by the people not mathematics. Games (usually) aren't graded like a refrigerator. There is no such thing as passing, failing and perfect. And even if they did, you would still have to use common sense to understand what the number at the end of the page really means in terms of being better than the rest. Besides, a number can only say so much.

In all honesty, the scoring spectrum is a mess because 7 is average, 8 is good, 9 is great and 10 is amazing. You got 10 numbers and any sequel that's marketed in the least with a big budget gets a choice of those 4 out of 10 numbers. It's silly and it's confusing.

EvilDick34 said:
Man, fuck unlock haha. I've done this every damn time and every time my connection just goes down the drain when everyone unlocks at the same time, Valve needs a better way to do these unlocks.

The decrypt/unlock doesn't use your internet connection.

samus4ever said:
They have never failed me on release date delivery and I buy 95% of my games from them. I can't say the same about other items I've bought from them, but I pulled out a 20 dollar GC from them when some no name delivery company delivered a 1 day shipping item 3 days late.
They failed me three times so far, twice with Reach (two separate orders) and once with Killzone 3.

Don't make plans by them and you'll save yourself some grief.

Chiggs

Gold Member
BladeRunner12 said:
6.5/10 from Strategy Informer.

Looks like this is going to be mixed?

At the end of the day, Rage is going to sell by the bucketload due to its remarkable lineage, and there will be armies of fans who will defend it to the bitter end, no matter whether they enjoyed it or not. But for those who will listen: Rage is flawed from the get-go, and by the time it finds its legs, its all too little, too late.

Oh, how nice.

Derrick01

Banned
AwRy108 said:
I like Joystiq for news, but their reviews I often don't agree with.

knowing joystiq it got a 3/5 just because it makes you save manually. Damn those PC oriented features!

I'm only kidding
kind of
. Reading it now.

SolidSnakex said:

For some, it will all add up to a strangely shallow experience, where the story never asserts itself enough to feel less than periphery, and where things we take for granted nowadays have been ignored or forgotten. This certainly isn't a video game like the ones we're used to playing in 2011, smothered in celebrity voice actors and shoulder-grabbingly intense expository cut-scenes, and varnished by psychologists so we never look in the wrong direction when we're sprinting away from a set-piece. Instead it's something simpler and more old-fashioned.

Judged on game design and content, then, it's slightly anachronistic, but as a toy box full of things you can only do in games, Rage is warm-hearted and refreshing. It's not going to change the world, but it does serve as a timely reminder of that other thing id Software games always did besides smashing through some new technological barrier. They made shooting things fun, and it's nice to have that back.

Sold.

Cartman86

Banned
Ars Technica is probably the most negative i've read so far. Their headline is RAGE is creatively and mechanically bankrupt, but it sure is pretty. This was my fear after so much time passing between id's last real game, but considering the other reviews it may just be in the quality range of something like Singularity which isn't terrible, but good enough for me to play.

Gvaz said:
Joystiq I don't always agree with, but that sounds pretty much what I expected.

1up I generally hate. Having read the article it sounds a lot like what joystiq was saying, except it has a B on the rating. I was expecting more of a C from the way they wrote it.

No comment on the other reviews?

Gvaz

Banned
I'm going to have to disagree on Singularity. The shooting in that felt rather lame and the story was derivative to the point of just being plain unenjoyable to me.

Poimandres said:
No comment on the other reviews?
I haven't read them yet?

delta25

Banned
Gvaz said:
Joystiq I don't always agree with, but that sounds pretty much what I expected.

1up I generally hate. Having read the article it sounds a lot like what joystiq was saying, except it has a B on the rating. I was expecting more of a C from the way they wrote it.

Do you know what the meaning of "on thin ice" means, look it up. It might help you out a tad.

smh

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know who's exaggerating more here, Gamespot's 20+ hour campaign claim or Joystiq's 9 hour one.

Gvaz said:
I'm going to have to disagree on Singularity. The shooting in that felt rather lame and the story was derivative to the point of just being plain unenjoyable to me.

I haven't read them yet?

Gvaz, you really need to go back and read all your replies man, you have not skipped a beat with the negative posting.

AwRy108

Derrick01 said:
knowing joystiq it got a 3/5 just because it makes you save manually. Damn those PC oriented features!

I'm only kidding
kind of
. Reading it now.

They give it 3/5 stars because it has a shallow story and "been there, done that" gameplay than "never evolves"; but then they'll probably go and give Skyward Sword 5/5 stars...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, went from around 35% decrypting to done! Installing DirectX stuff now.

I can taste it!

DaFish

Zefah said:
Oh shit, went from around 35% decrypting to done! Installing DirectX stuff now.

I can taste it!
mine is creeping along... hope it kicks into overdrive here soon!

edit: Overdrive engaged!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
xtrasauce said:
GUYS, DON'T READ THE 1UP REVIEW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE AN ARKHAM CITY SPOILER TO THE RIGHT OF THE ARTICLE.

fuck you 1up
Too late... fml.

Derrick01

Banned
AwRy108 said:
They give it 3/5 stars because it has a shallow story and "been there, done that" gameplay than "never evolves"; but then they'll probably go and give Skyward Sword 5/5 stars...

Pretty much. The entire media will do that with Zelda while bashing other games.

And you know what's funny? 6 months later they'll all write articles on how Zelda is stale and how it needs to change. They do this every time.

Top Bottom