• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Sullichin

I really cannot believe how bad the texture pop-in is (PS3 version). You can spin in a circle, pause at any given point, and watch the world lose and gain all detail, over and over. It doesn't just happen in the beginning of an area like some games, and it's not intermittent. It's pretty much constant. The game is 60fps but I feel like I need to slow down to wait for textures to load. It's really, really bad. I know some texture pop in is normal... but this is actually hindering my enjoyment of the game. The image quality also isn't too great after playing Uncharted 3 and Gears 3.

On the plus side, the gunplay seems satisfying so far.

Colocho

Banned
This is 60 fps on the 360 right? I read the OP and it doesn't say anything (you'd think this is important information to put there) and there are like 90 pages to search for.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Installed the new drivers. Turned CCC to HQ and triple buffering is on. Its runs MUCH smoother but I still get lots of screen tearing and the texture loading thing is still pretty bad.

Colocho said:
This is 60 fps on the 360 right? I read the OP and it doesn't say anything (you'd think this is important information to put there) and there are like 90 pages to search for.

Yep. 60FPS on consoles.

Salsa

Colocho said:
This is 60 fps on the 360 right? I read the OP and it doesn't say anything (you'd think this is important information to put there)

where would i put it? its the selling point, everyone knows about it, i focused more on the story and characters.

And yes its 60fps

Wallach

ShdwDrake said:
Installed the new drivers. Turned CCC to HQ and triple buffering is on. Its runs MUCH smoother but I still get lots of screen tearing and the texture loading thing is still pretty bad.

You can force vertical sync through CCC too, works fine.

forrest

formerly nacire
i7 @ 2.8
8gb RAM
ATI 5850
Catalyst Rage Performance Drivers

*Make sure you completely uninstall all ATI products and restart before installing the new drivers.*

Here are some shots :D

rage2011-10-0418-19-190fb0.png

rage2011-10-0418-19-52ifgn.png

rage2011-10-0418-27-30yfsp.png

rage2011-10-0418-41-14idrk.png

rage2011-10-0418-28-22jd9j.png

rage2011-10-0418-30-56reqa.png

(._.)

Banned
Ok, driver installed. It fixed most of my problems thank god. texture popping still happens which sucks but it is much less noticeable now. Also, I noticed there are small lines through the textures of some of the character models. I switched AA to program's settings and it did nothing.

nacire said:
*Make sure you completely uninstall all ATI products and restart before installing the new drivers.*
Maybe a silly question but will removing the old drivers screw up the work I did getting my dual monitors + HDTV configuration to work? I've only ever installed new drivers on top of the originals.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Has anyone found a way to solve the stuttering? That's my biggest issue now and it's killing the game.

IoCaster

I've been playing the game since it unlocked on Steam last night and it's been a relatively bug free experience for me. I had to tweak a few things (vsync, FOV, AA, AF, mouse smoothing, etc,..) via NI and cvars, but it was playable for me on a GTX 580 with BETA drivers right from the start. There was a problem with some seams/grid lines appearing on ground textures, but I've pretty much eliminated them and they were never really noticeable in-game.

Don't get me wrong here because I understand the problems that ATI/AMD card owners have had to deal with, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the core game is actually pretty damn good. I know it's asking a lot, but have a bit of patience to get the driver issues sorted and you'll be rewarded with a fun experience that at it's core is an id shooter with tight controls and smooth gameplay. Also the racing/car combat takes a bit of getting used to, but once it clicks it's loads of fun, seriously.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Is uninstalling the old drivers good enough, or should I run something like driver sweeper or some other utility to completely remove the old drivers? And if I should run driver sweeper, does anyone have a link to where I can download it?

dark10x said:
Has anyone found a way to solve the stuttering? That's my biggest issue now and it's killing the game.
This is the only thing that's bothering me at the moment. Texture pop in is bearable, but this stuttering nonsense is not. :mad:

Gvaz

Banned
Smokey said:
It's a thumbnail. I didn't blow up the whole thread with a big ass pic.

But ok if I take more I will do that. Played some more, and it's working fine for me :shrug
Oh I wasn't talkin about the thumbnails, but please post more if you've got them :)

(._.)

Banned
IoCaster said:
Don't get me wrong here because I understand the problems that ATI/AMD card owners have had to deal with, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the core game is actually pretty damn good. I know it's asking a lot, but have a bit of patience to get the driver issues sorted and you'll be rewarded with a fun experience that at it's core is an id shooter with tight controls and smooth gameplay. Also the racing/car combat takes a bit of getting used to, but once it clicks it's loads of fun, seriously.
I agree with this. I really like the game itself. The first 24 hours were really rough but the latest patched fixed most of my issues. Guns feel really precises and better than most in the genre. I feel like the iron sights could be removed entirely from the game.

I want them to patch in some more graphic customization options since I feel like things could look better for me judging by some of these screens I'm seeing.

Ok guys, can someone explain to me how to use my minigun on my ratrod or other buggy? All i can do is fire my missiles but when i hit next weapon, there is no minigun even though i have 1300 minigun bullets, wtf?

Sullichin

I'm going to complain about the horrendous texture pop-in again. Is there any hope for a PS3 patch that will make this texture pop in less atrocious? I feel like I'm seeing the game untextured more often than not! Whoever said the game feels like a 60fps google maps was spot on. Does this game expect you to never turn around? Seriously, walk forward a few steps, turn around and everything you just walked through will be untextured again. They don't even pop in that fast! I know you can only hold so many textures in memory at once, but I can't think of a single game that treats it this way. It's fucking terrible!

Solo

Just entered the sewers for the first time. The gunplay is great - id always NAILS this. The weapons just feel right.

forrest

formerly nacire
(._.) said:
Ok, driver installed. It fixed most of my problems thank god. texture popping still happens which sucks but it is much less noticeable now. Also, I noticed there are small lines through the textures of some of the character models. I switched AA to program's settings and it did nothing.

You can also try switching which type of AA you're using. I'm using Multi-Sample AA with the filter set to Box

NullPointer said:
Maybe a silly question but will removing the old drivers screw up the work I did getting my dual monitors + HDTV configuration to work? I've only ever installed new drivers on top of the originals.

I wish I knew Null :( I do know that I tried installing it on top of my old drivers first, which didn't work for me. Doing a complete uninstall from the Programs and Features menu of the ATI stuff followed by a restart did work.

dark10x said:

I haven't had any stuttering issues myself, so I don't know :(

IoCaster

Mutagenic said:
How are you guys adjusting FOV and how does 90 look?

The default FOV seems to be 80° on PC and it can be adjusted with a console command or better yet a launch option. I linked a Steam forum post back upstream in this thread that details the instructions. I personally use 100° FOV and it looks great, but then I'm old school PC so take that for what it's worth.

nacire said:
I wish I knew Null :( I do know that I tried installing it on top of my old drivers first, which didn't work for me. Doing a complete uninstall from the Programs and Features menu of the ATI stuff followed by a restart did work.
Well, hell, wish me luck ;P

hmm, well good thing is runs flawless for me on laptop, though its nvidia (460m) and quad i7 which is cool. perhaps I already set the control panel to vsync on but no tearing, though its a shame it doesnt run in 3d vision (which is AMAZING with new vegas)

I dont see any of the problems of prior videos, I dont see textures popping in and out

the no auto save thing sucks with no prompt to save - I drove wrong way at start to look around, got blown up. then it started the game from that first cut scene AND I CANT SKIP THAT STUPID INTRO

underwhelmed right now, doesnt help coming from new vegas. world look alright I guess, but lack of interactivity makes it seem fake - eg shooting stuff doesnt do anything. I hope areas open up, it feels like a bunch of corridors and confined.

tried everything in this thread and this game still wont' work....it's the worst it's ever been with the new drivers

the only thing that works is the 11.8 drivers, but i only get like 20fps and the pop up and stuttering is bad

Dual core 2.7Ghz
6Gb RAM

fuuuuuuuuu

kamspy

I use the "Defibulator Recharged" as my note to quick save.

Note that for people using a controller like me, you can still do a quick F5 to save.

60fps, no stuttering, 460 gtx

FINALBOSS

Banned
The pop-in in this game is seriously horrible. ID should feel fucking embarrassed. How this got past QA is laughable. Fuck you guys.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
IoCaster said:
The default FOV seems to be 80° on PC and it can be adjusted with a console command or better yet a launch option. I linked a Steam forum post back upstream in this thread that details the instructions. I personally use 100° FOV and it looks great, but then I'm old school PC so take that for what it's worth.
Thanks. 90 looks good but may try 100.

IoCaster

EvilDick34 said:
Ok guys, can someone explain to me how to use my minigun on my ratrod or other buggy? All i can do is fire my missiles but when i hit next weapon, there is no minigun even though i have 1300 minigun bullets, wtf?

You have to go to the garage and get them switched out/installed. You can only have one of the two as main buggy weapons, but the other stuff like shields or mines, can be assigned to quick load slots like bandages, wingsticks, grenades and such.

Shalashaska161 said:
So, um. Steam won't accept my game serial. Claims it's wrong. Am I just looking at the wrong thing? I'm using the code on the sticker stuck to the inside of the case. Is there another code hiding somewhere else that I'm missing?

yeah thats what I used and worked first time

ShdwDrake

Banned
Gvaz said:
It's an FPS with some minigames, what kind of discussion are you expecting?

That being said, that situation is not exclusive to gaf.

Someone posted a config writeup elsewhere, I hope it helps someone:

Hrm... I have no rage config file... safe to add it?

jett

D-Member
neostapler said:
tried everything in this thread and this game still wont' work....it's the worst it's ever been with the new drivers

the only thing that works is the 11.8 drivers, but i only get like 20fps and the pop up and stuttering is bad

Dual core 2.7Ghz
6Gb RAM

fuuuuuuuuu

I guess my C2D and a 4670 won't cut it? LOL

What happened to this bullshit:

Minimum System Requirements:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or Equivalent AMD
Memory: 2GB
Hard Disk Space: 25GB
Video Card: GeForce 8800, Radeon HD 4200

Recommended System Requirements:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or Equivalent AMD
Memory: 4GB
Hard Disk Space: 25GB
Video Card: GeForce 9800 GTX, ATI Radeon HD 5550

I run every other console port at 60fps on my meager machine.

Sullichin

FINALBOSS said:
The pop-in in this game is seriously horrible. ID should feel fucking embarrassed. How this got past QA is laughable. Fuck you guys.

Yeah the texture pop in is so bad. What version are you playing? I'm on PS3

FINALBOSS

Banned
Sullichin said:
Yeah the texture pop in is so bad. What version are you playing? I'm on PS3

PS3 here too. I mean don't get me wrong, the games is smooth as hell, gunplay is cool, animations are amazing. But the pop-in is EXTREMELY distracting. I was under the impression that the PS3 install was PURELY textures too. L O L is all I have to say.

And this is coming from a guy who never finds framerate/aliasing to be a problem.

JohngPR

Seems like there are certain parts where the pop in is worse than others.

Most of the time though, it's there, but not jarring.

I need to stop turning around to see if the textures will pop in....it's a lot less noticeable when you just play the game. :p

x3sphere

(._.) said:

had this too, forcing AF causes it

burgerdog

jett said:
I guess my C2D and a 4670 won't cut it? LOL

What happened to this bullshit:

I run every other console port at 60fps on my meager machine.
I told you there was cause for concern when brink ran like shit on my pc. BF3 and Witcher 2? No problem. Brink and Rage? 10 fucking FPS. Pathetic.

I just rewarded these fucks with two sales, I bought the 360 version of rage(along with ps3 dark souls!) a few minutes ago. I would have bought it used but it was cheaper to get it new because of the $20 coupon.

Derrick01

Banned
kamspy said:
I use the "Defibulator Recharged" as my note to quick save.

Note that for people using a controller like me, you can still do a quick F5 to save.

60fps, no stuttering, 460 gtx

It really does look and play really well on nvidia stuff at least. I can't believe they fucked over 1 side so bad. Even when DA2 and Bioware fucked over us nvidia people I could still at least play the damn thing on high settings. This is just ridiculous.

Top Bottom