• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
dark10x said:
V-sync isn't even WORKING anymore. It was working, but now it's not, and Radeon Pro causes massive problems in its own right.

This is the most broken ass PC game I've seen in ages. I'm so pissed I didn't buy console. :\
I had to turn off Process Monitoring in RadeonPro by right-clicking the taskbar icon. I'm sure you already have it off, but if not...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mutagenic said:
I had to turn off Process Monitoring in RadeonPro by right-clicking the taskbar icon. I'm sure you already have it off, but if not...
OK, that fixes v-sync, but the game is still acting up. Basically, as you move around, the game drops frames as data is loaded. It simply cannot maintain smooth performance. It constantly dips into the 40s as new data is loaded.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sorry some are having issues, but when it works, it works:

4FupJ.jpg

n7xxo.jpg

Alchemy

Sysgen said:
So they couldn't wait a week to release it to at least include 200 fixes. Didn't go near this at release because of the publisher and I'll sit on the sidelines as we'll have a similar thread for Skyrim.

You mean wait an additional month or two so they could reprint all the copies of the game that needed to be fixed?

Distribution and manufacturing of physical formats isn't exactly that cheap, easy, or fast. These things are planned out months in advance.

Pimpbaa

dark10x said:
V-sync isn't even WORKING anymore. It was working, but now it's not, and Radeon Pro causes massive problems in its own right.

This is the most broken ass PC game I've seen in ages. I'm so pissed I didn't buy console. :\

Most of the problems sounds like amd's fault, not id. Just need to wait for another kludge fix for their shitty OpenGL drivers.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pimpbaa said:
Most of the problems sounds like amd's fault, not id. Just need to wait for another kludge fix for their shitty OpenGL drivers.
I don't buy that at all.

That would suggest that they never tested the game properly on ATI hardware. They could have made this work.

So, um. Steam won't accept my game serial. Claims it's wrong. Am I just looking at the wrong thing? I'm using the code on the sticker stuck to the inside of the case. Is there another code hiding somewhere else that I'm missing?

JohngPR

Karak said:
Fine 360 then. It is the only one I feel safe saying it will work the best.

EDIT: I see you got the PS3 version. Good show. Like I said, its noticeable, can't pretend its not, but it aint a game killer.

Let the killing begin!

It's definitely noticeable...some places more than others, but it's not as big of a deal as I thought it would be. It's especially noticeable if you stop and make the game do it...which honestly is a bit unfair to judge too harshly since that's how the tech works to get the game running at 60fps.

There's only been a few instances where I noticed it when I was just playing the game and not looking for it. That's about all I can ask for.

Shalashaska161 said:
So, um. Steam won't accept my game serial. Claims it's wrong. Am I just looking at the wrong thing? I'm using the code on the sticker stuck to the inside of the case. Is there another code hiding somewhere else that I'm missing?
Did you buy it from a key shop or did you get the retail copy?

Smokey

Alright just got to the part in the intro where you get your pistol. I haven't noticed any texture pop-in at this point. Pretty sure it's coming though. I'm using 2x MSI Lightning 3GB 580s, however SLI appears to be disabled here. Not like it matters. My one 580 never got above 45% utilization and was locked at 60fps. I also enabled 4x MSAA and 4x SSAA. Some pics:

Gvaz

Banned
Smokey said:
Alright just got to the part in the intro where you get your pistol. I haven't noticed any texture pop-in at this point. Pretty sure it's coming though. I'm using 2x MSI Lightning 3GB 580s, however SLI appears to be disabled here. Not like it matters. My one 580 never got above 45% utilization and was locked at 60fps. I also enabled 8x MSAA and 8x SSAA. Some pics:

Next time convert those huge pngs to 90-95% jpgs instead.

Dommel

Well after 3 hours of playing this game I must say it's a good game. Not great but good enough to keep playing and probably also not day one at €60 for people who are still on the fence.

Gunplay is nice, missions are (so far) all the same though. Go to the hideout and kill'em dead. In between you have to race to upgrade your buggy.

Overall I like it but I'd defenitely expect more from a game that has been in development for 6 years. If there's really less than 10 hours of content I'm wondering what they've been doing all that time?

bluedeviltron said:
Has anyone in the US gotten their key from Intkeys?
Go onto intkeys and in the chat tell them you want the game and provide your order number. You have to use VPN to activate it.

Shalashaska161 said:
Retail copy. Still kind of wary of those key shops.
Strange, that's only suppose to happen if you activate a code from another region. Are you confusing 0 for O?

pakkit

Banned
Gvaz said:
Man this is pretty ugly, what's with these bland textures and "everything is different shades of grey"
How far are you? The textures definitely run the gamut, and id should release a high rez pack for the PC crowd (SHOULD), but the color scheme is wide in scope.

Gvaz

Banned
Smokey said:
And I'd do that why?
..because they'd change to quick loading 750kB~ files instead of almost 3MB ones?

Quicker to upload, quicker to download and a similar quality without artifacts, this is pretty much a no-brainer here man.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Snkfanatic said:
Oh so it contains the driver itself too..thanks. I thought it was a extra file just for Rage itself
go to programs and features in the control panel then run the ati catalyst install manager and then uninstall and from options unistall all ati software.

after that then install the full new drivers

bloodydrake said:
go to programs and features in the control panel then run the ati catalyst install manager and then uninstall and from options unistall all ati software.

after that then install the full new drivers

Thanks, I just wasn't clear that it was a full graphics driver and not just a rage specific file. A little unsure of installing it though. It may mess up other games I play currently so I will wait it out a few days and see if a patch hits.

QuantumBro said:
Go onto intkeys and in the chat tell them you want the game and provide your order number. You have to use VPN to activate it.

Strange, that's only suppose to happen if you activate a code from another region. Are you confusing 0 for O?
Nope tried them both. I'm in Canada might that be causing me a problem?

Snkfanatic said:
Make sure you put the - in there. Mine worked fine once I did that
Tried the dashes too.

Edit: It finally took it for some reason. Didn't even change anything from what I had but apparently hitting next 50 times did the trick.

Solo

Game is fucking awesome. Really loving it. My final verdict on the graphics front is: excellent art direction which is let down by the engine. Disappointing effort from Carmack. But I am loving the game. Wingsticks = so good.

derFeef

Solo said:
Game is fucking awesome. Really loving it. My final verdict on the graphics front is: excellent art direction which is let down by the engine. Disappointing effort from Carmack. But I am loving the game. Wingsticks = so good.
Good to hear, and also glad that AMD drivers from an hour ago or so are working good. can't wait for weekend (poor europe peasent)

Geoff9920

Geoff9920 said:
The new drivers make a huge difference. Time to play some rage. :)
Aaaaand I spoke too soon. Game crashes immediately on launch now. Didn't like me attempting to force Vsync via RadionPro. Removed Custom Settings in RadionPro, exited program, game now crashes on boot. Off to play a game that actually works (Dark Souls). Choosing From Software over id; never thought I'd do that.

Wallach

Solo said:

Did you start on Nightmare? I haven't really sat down to get started, how hard is it?

kamspy

60 fps with 4xAA here. Forced V sync and AF through the control panel. Just a 460 GTX with a big OC and a PII 955x4. Newest Nvidia beta drivers. Game is pure id action. Loving it. Enemies react to every bullet. Sooo good. Texture loading isn't an issue for me, but yeah, some of the textures are crap. When I'm going in guns blazing it's the last thing I notice, and from what I played so far this game is all about guns blazing.

Hope you other PC guys get it sorted out.

I'm also playing on a 360 pad since the UI is kinda pad based. Plays fine. Love it. Expectations met and surpassed. The combat is pure awesome.

Smokey

Gvaz said:
..because they'd change to quick loading 750kB~ files instead of almost 3MB ones?

Quicker to upload, quicker to download and a similar quality without artifacts, this is pretty much a no-brainer here man.

It's a thumbnail. I didn't blow up the whole thread with a big ass pic.

But ok if I take more I will do that. Played some more, and it's working fine for me :shrug

JohngPR

Here's a tip when you are going down ladders (at least on a control pad):

Once you are "set" to go down the ladder, you can press "B" on 360 or "O" on PS3 to go up and down the ladder.

I died going down a ladder before I realized that. LOL

Wallach

Smokey said:
It's a thumbnail. I didn't blow up the whole thread with a big ass pic.

But ok if I take more I will do that.

Yeah, fuck that. 95% jpgs are still lossy as fuck, just do what you're doing.

with the new ATI drivers, texture pop on turning is damn fast, but still catchable. game is locked at 60 fps at 1080p and 4 x AA. so yep, that auto setting voodoo magic is working.

game just needs to have vsync and triple buffering built in. no stuttering for me.

the launch was a bit rocky... but damn this is some impressive tech. hope they can fix the texture streaming, but i can live with it. just quit out to add my pre order gubbins.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Just got my buggy. Game is so much damn fun. The way the shotgun just sends people flying is so satisfying.

Obviously if you look hard at things it can seem primitive, but that's missing the forest for the trees. The art and level design is just gorgeous, and incredibly dense.

I will never get an ATI card again. :(

I probably wont even pick this game up until I upgrade to an Nvidea card which wont be for quite a while unfortunately. My first major disappointment was when Oddworld Stranger's Wrath had (and continues to have) issues on ATI cards. I know it may seem like kind of a minor game to have an issue with, but I had been looking forward to this game coming out on the PC for over a year and to have it messed up in any way STILL is unacceptable.

Who knows, maybe these drivers ATI is rushing out will actually fix Stranger's Wrath, too!... a guy can dream. ;_;

Top Bottom