• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So after downloading RadeonPro and forcing v-sync, the game would come to a halt every few seconds (even the music would stop) then start back up again for a few more seconds. So I then forced triple buffering and the game won't even make it out of the splash screens. Not cool.

Pimpbaa

MisterAnderson said:
Is this Id trolling or serious? This happens on consoles as well?

I dunno. Game seems to change tint depending on the area. I went into the sewer near the beginning and everything changed to a very green tint. As for the pop in, it's worse on consoles. The pop in for me is like a slight flicker on the textures for me on the edge of the screen as they quickly load in.

Ratsofatsorat said:
If you have a retail PC copy, install through the disc. It'll make you enter the Steam code, but then it will install the game from DVD. Much faster.

I am LOL

Its a laptop so maybe the drive is a lot slower. Fortunately I am reading up about dark souls as I ponder whether to open my 360 CE ! I only want to open it if 360 version is same ballpark as PS3 for graphics (so far reports are 360 is worse framerate but I want to see digital foundry or something, as I dont care if its a minor difference but if its like 50% difference...)

Aptos

Woooo! New Drivers! nailed it!

0z2BT.jpg

Pimpbaa said:
I dunno. Game seems to change tint depending on the area. I went into the sewer near the beginning and everything changed to a very green tint. As for the pop in, it's worse on consoles. The pop in for me is like a slight flicker on the textures for me on the edge of the screen as they quickly load in.

Oh...well if that's true then that's kind of lame. While it isn't game breaking it's pretty distracting seeing textures take a (very short) moment to load when turning around. Even more annoying to me though was how insanely green that first area was (the first mission, in the dark areas). I thought for sure there was something wrong...is it that green for everyone in that first mutant hideout when you first enter it?

And has anyone figured out how to add a command line to the config file to make aiming "toggle" instead of "hold"?

Yes I def. tried that. It didn't run smooth at all with just one enabled. Everything slowed down then. Maybe needs just new drivers and that's fine with me I can wait. But honestly it just doesn't feel or look like a AAA title to me so far.

Pimpbaa said:

I have awful texture pop-in running on just a single 580....no pop-in on 580 SLI...however it still runs poorly.

Rewmac

Banned
I surfed around the web and mostly on twitter which brings to the main content of my post. The game crashes, uses 100% CPU and freezes after the new driver. Can someone confirm this?

Wallach

Rewmac said:
I surfed around the web and mostly on twitter which brings to the main content of my post. The game crashes, uses 100% CPU and freezes after the new driver. Can someone confirm this?

Not here, works fine now.

Man this debacle with the PC release was quite something. One of the only times I'm happy to be getting the console version over PC. Now just waiting for UPS to deliver this thing. Any hour now...

Zaphod

Thanks Wallach. My numbers do not match so I guess it did not work. I am running Vista though so maybe I just SOL and out $60.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Wallach said:
I think it will only show like that if you've been installing directly over previous driver versions from when you could actually do that. For a long time now CCC has not used those settings to control Catalyst AI, but CCC does not update right if you don't do a clean style install.

If you have the updated CCC settings (Performance/Quality/High Quality) you need to be on High Quality to turn Catalyst AI off.

http://i.imgur.com/ElBPI.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
ah, good to know. I'll be doing a clean sweep/install then.

jett

D-Member
Aptos said:
Woooo! New Drivers! nailed it!

http://i.imgur.com/0z2BT.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL jesuschrist. It's such a slap in the face after paying $60 and for some a monster 20-gig download.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Alright, had to fuck around in the CCC, but I'm getting a good solid 60 FPS. Once in a while, if I spin around fast enough, it dips a bit lower. Sort of annoying, but alright. Texture pop in isn't nearly as bad, but still there.

Gvaz

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
The more I play, the more I realize how incredibly shallow this game is.

Fetch quest -> Corridor shooter -> Fetch quest -> Race
Perhaps my Borderlands/Bioshock comparison a while ago was accurate then.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Aguirre said:
haha... man thats sad

k but I think thats the exception not the rule with new drivers.

did they uninstall all ati software first? ATI drivers are notorious for messing up if you overwrite existing drivers

Oneself

Got the PS3 version today.
After 2 hours and a couple more minutes, I might say it's a pretty good game. Sure, it feels like some kind of Bioshock in a wasteland with a shitty story but it's solid, it plays great, shooting is reeeally fun and satisfying. AI is great, enemies are moving a lot and trying different ways to attack.. in fact, they remind me of Condemned quite a lot.
It's also quite impressive since I've not seen any frame drop so far, except for a bit of tearing in some places.
Everything has a price though, it's a 8GB install and textures are popping-in all over the place. It feels a bit like a 60fps google maps ... anyways, it's still pretty damn impressive. If next gen games use that kind of loading, we could see some incredible visuals.

Also, the sound design isn't up to par, especially the music. I don't know how you can go from "Trent Reznor" to this... the game feels much better when the music is turned down to about 30% volume or less.

Zaphod

bloodydrake said:

did they uninstall all ati software first? ATI drivers are notorious for messing up if you overwrite existing drivers

I'm trying that now. I hope this works.

Sysgen

Space A Cobra said:
Man this debacle with the PC release was quite something. One of the only times I'm happy to be getting the console version over PC. Now just waiting for UPS to deliver this thing. Any hour now...

C'mon man. After the fucked roll outs of Fallout New Vegas and Brink I'm sure Bethesda worked really hard to ensure PC Rage had a problem free roll out.

dogs-playing-poker.jpg

Rewmac

Banned
Hmm it's getting confusing for a newbie PC gamer like me. So after I download the new driver, what settings should I enable/disable in CC for this to run correctly?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sysgen said:
C'mon man. After the fucked roll outs of Fallout New Vegas and Brink I'm sure Bethesda worked really hard to ensure PC Rage had a problem free roll out.

dogs-playing-poker.jpg

What was wrong with New Vegas? I got it at release and it was great.

Oh wait, was it that thing with the spinning head dude at the beginning?

Aptos

bloodydrake said:

Clean install, following the exact instructions on AMDs website. I thought maybe it was the texture cache folder I created, cuz Rage did indeed put a 1GB file in there, but I deleted it and it didn't fix anything.

However, on a good note: I get a locked 60 fps with no screen tearing... :/

Derrick01

Banned
Sysgen said:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hMgpu1lIWXY/TV1VBkgI5OI/AAAAAAAADms/E3XHiprT14k/s400/dogs-playing-poker.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Can't wait for Skyrim!!!

:\

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fuck this piece of shit. God damn it.

It worked one time, but now, the awful pausing is back. I cannot play the damn game.

Is there any way to get a refund on this after claiming the Steam code? This is absolute bullshit.

My retail copy had the code at least. Installed it and started the game, noticed terrible texture lag and turned it off. Ya I will wait for a patch...

dark10x said:
Fuck this piece of shit. God damn it.

It worked one time, but now, the awful pausing is back. I cannot play the damn game.

Is there any way to get a refund on this after claiming the Steam code? This is absolute bullshit.

Make sure you're not forcing anything in CCC except vsync. I started getting stuttering when i forced 16x AF.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
For some reason 'process monitoring' was enabled in the RadeonPro setup and that was causing my constant pausing. After disabling that, the game runs like buttah.

Sysgen

Zefah said:
What was wrong with New Vegas? I got it at release and it was great.

Oh wait, was it that thing with the spinning head dude at the beginning?

Not to derail but from the Wiki:

Within hours of the game's release, players of Fallout: New Vegas began reporting a variety of technical issues (game-saves becoming corrupted, the game freezing, players becoming stuck within the terrain, forcing them to load an earlier save or restart the game from scratch).[67][68] Bethesda Studios stated that they, in conjunction with Obsidian, were actively working on an update for release "as soon as possible" to address in-game issues. They also urged customers to keep their copies of New Vegas rather than return them to stores, stating that providing the best possible experience to their users was a priority. Within a week of the original release, a patch was available for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 versions of the game, which contained over 200 quest- and scripting-related fixes.

So they couldn't wait a week to release it to at least include 200 fixes. Didn't go near this at release because of the publisher and I'll sit on the sidelines as we'll have a similar thread for Skyrim.

Sullichin

My first impression (PS3) is unfortunately that the texture pop-in is unacceptably bad. :| wtf. I thought this was supposed to be an amazing game from a technical standpoint.

garath

Omg. There it is. It's practically flawless now (well minus the poor close up textures in general).

Recap:

i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
8 gigs DDR3
460 GTX

I updated to the latest BETA drivers 285.38. I added a rageconfig.cfg file to my rage/base directory with the following settings:

com_AllowConsole 1
com_SkipIntroVideo 1
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_maxppf 2048
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_minlod -1
vt_maxlockedpages 1024
vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_maxaniso 16
vt_uncompressedphysicalimages 1
vt_vmtrcompression none
vt_restart
image_lodbias -1
image_anisotropy 16
image_usecompression 0
image_screenshotquality 100

And I forced vsync and triple buffering in the nvidia control panel. In-game settings are set to 16x AA and GPU transcoding enabled.

What I have is solid 60fps with such fast pop in that I wouldn't be able to tell if I wasn't whipping the mouse around and specifically looking for it. The config I posted is exactly the one from page 81 but I bumped up vt_maxlockedpages and vt_maxpff.

I am perfectly happy now. If I didn't have my 4 year old's birthday today I'd go off and play it some more. It'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Nvidia users should try exactly that. I'm genuinely hard pressed to see the pop-in now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Derrick01 said:
Can't wait for Skyrim!!!

:\

Oblivion was technically fine for me at launch. I'm not too worried about Skyrim. Although Zenimax seems to have a policy that they will only show off the 360 version of a game before launch, which is a bit worrying.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bloodforge said:
Make sure you're not forcing anything in CCC except vsync. I started getting stuttering when i forced 16x AF.
V-sync isn't even WORKING anymore. It was working, but now it's not, and Radeon Pro causes massive problems in its own right.

This is the most broken ass PC game I've seen in ages. I'm so pissed I didn't buy console. :\

Truespeed

Sysgen said:

Why are people blaming Bethesda for Rage and Brink? Zenimax is their parent company.

just ran it before installing the specific ATI drivers. holeee crap. what a cluster fuck. really feel sorry for anyone who got the game before the ATI drivers. time to install those and compare.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Truespeed said:
Why are people blaming Bethesda for Rage and Brink? Zenimax is their parent company.

Even New Vegas wasn't directly from them.

I'm not saying Fallout 3 and Oblivion didn't have their issues, but neither gave me any technical problems on their respective release days.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
GhostRidah said:
How do you disable the starting logos? so annoying when your trying to debug this mess.

Add this to your startup command line thing in the Steam settings:

+ com_SkipIntroVideo 1

Wallach

Snkfanatic said:
So those Rage drivers for AMD cards posted last page. Do I need to install the 11.9 driver then install those?

No, it is a comprehensive driver package just like any other set of Catalyst drivers.

Top Bottom