• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

JRW

felipepl said:
Whoa, running great there. Locked 60 FPS?

Yep I havent seen it drop below 60 yet, very smooth all the time, You can view a 60fps video I recorded here as well. (128mb .AVI).

Edit: Single GTX 480 & i7 920 cpu

Sanic

angular graphics said:
Go to your "base" folder.

Create a file named "rageconfig.cfg"

type inside:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 16384
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 16384
vt_pageimagesizeunique 16384
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 16384
vt_restart

save it and start rage

[/B]

Oddly it made no difference for texture pop-in when set at either 8k or 16k. Didn't test enough to see if it would cause the game to crash.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Poimandres said:
So... what is this game going to do to my lowly Core Duo 3.2 with 4 Gig Ram and GTX260?

I'm scared.

You will be surprised. My friend is running it on a 260 and it runs pretty good. Its not the engine speed that is the probably. It is everything else connected to it. lol

Smokey

angular graphics said:
Go to your "base" folder.

Create a file named "rageconfig.cfg"

type inside:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 16384
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 16384
vt_pageimagesizeunique 16384
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 16384
vt_restart

save it and start rage

Carmack & Willits said they would do it before release; the console version uses 4k x 4k (loaded) textures, but the PC version should/would use 8k x 8k, and after release they would tweak it to use 16k x 16k - but no, the PC version shipped using 4k x 4k textures like on consoles thus it has the exact same (bad) pop in as on consoles.

But why wait for Carmack? Tweak it yourself now!

Note: you will likely need a lot of RAM (maybe VRAM as well), for example more than 4GBs.
If you have just 4GBs of RAM, or if you notice that some parts aren't loading instead of 16384 use the value 8192. In fact if you have second thoughts, you might want to first test it with the value 8192, because it will definitely make a noticeable difference, and it should work on all modern gaming computers. And then see if you can handle 16384 as well.

Good luck, and anyone that tries it please report back your experience :)

Wait so that's all you have to do? Create a .cfg in Rage Base with those 5 lines? I just did that but it seems too simple lol. I've got 16GB of RAM, so this shouldn't be an issue at all.

Be right back!

Wallach

angular graphics said:
Try lowering it to 6144 for example, maybe it'll work and you'll still benefit. :)

I'm actually able to make it crash even on 4092. But only when loading a save game. Might happen during zone transitions too but I haven't seen one yet. Not sure if it is a separate crash bug or related to the cvars we're messing with here.

Smokey said:
Wait so that's all you have to do? Create a .cfg in Rage Base with those 5 lines? I just did that but it seems too simple lol. I've got 16GB of RAM, so this shouldn't be an issue at all.

Be right back!

Yeah, it should make a difference! But based on feedback from other gaffers, maybe you should stick to the 8k value :)

(And it actually makes sense, as Rage hasn't been patched with 64bit support yet - although this will come later - and it can't use THAT much memory from your system as a 32bit app).

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know for the weird technical things with textures the game still feels super polished. A very sleek experience on the 360. Everything is really well done. Animations, menus, and the framerate adds a lot to it.

I do notice some more texture issues though, mainly when loading a new area. Which doesnt make sense cause they could have just extended the load time by 2 seconds and you wouldnt see all the textures filling in. Other than that though, having the game installed gets rid of most of the texture pop-in, or speeds it up a lot.

Wallach said:
I'm actually able to make it crash even on 4092. But only when loading a save game. Might happen during zone transitions too but I haven't seen one yet. Not sure if it is a separate crash bug or related to the cvars we're messing with here.

4096? That's the default. It shouldn't crash with that..

Oh hell. Help a technologically inept fellow out. I decided to take a lot of folks' advice in here and use Drive Sweeper to remove my ATI drivers to freshly install the Rage ATI pack.

Did the right things, rebooted after driver sweeping, installed the ATI pack...the first time, it said the installation had completed, but an error had been recorded. Opened up the report and no error was logged. Ran the installer again and it installed successfully. Rebooted. Catalyst wasn't loading, manually opened the exe and this pops up:

25tuqdx.png

Is it a dotnet issue? System is Win7 Home Premium, Core Duo i5, 4GB with a Radeon HD 5650 1GB.

th3dude

Those who activated retail keys:

Steam is saying I 'already own' the two extra codes that came with the game (weapons + sewer) and that I should check my Library, but I don't see anything?

Smokey

angular graphics said:
Yeah, it should make a difference! But based on feedback from other gaffers, maybe you should stick to the 8k value :)

(And it actually makes sense, as Rage hasn't been patched with 64bit support yet - although this will come later - and it can't use THAT much memory from your system as a 32bit app).

You don't have to start a new game or anything right? Just curious.

legbone

this game is pretty damn impressive on the 360. it's a shame they aren't going to license this engine because it is a pretty amazing console engine. best looking game i have played on a console. and 60 fps to boot. closest competitors are uncharted 2 or god of war 3. and i think rage has each of them beat. i might throw in god of war 3 and check because i remember it being pretty fucking amazing. bravo id. you may have fucked up the pc launch but you have quite a piece of tech here. i cannot wait to see what it can do locked at 30 fps with doom 4. prepare to be amazed. oh, and i think the texture pop-in on 360 has been blown way out of proportion. i have seen way worse on unreal games. it really is minimal.

Gvaz said:
Yes, that's 16gb or so, the blue textures are placeholders showing you don't have enough. quite a few games do this.

Also can someone explain that 60fps + fps = disaster thing?

I always thought fps games you play competitively you need at least 60fps or higher for the least amount of lag.
That doesn't make much sense when folks with 4GB of RAM are able to pull it off.

I use a GTX 275 that only has 896MB of VRAM.

(DP! Sorry.)

legbone

Calcaneus said:
Really, id should be applauded for putting out a great looking fps at 60 fps on console. We need more of those, seriously.

yep, this and driver: sf show how great 60 fps is. forza 4 is 60 fps too and it comes out next week. these developers are now showing there really is no reason why 60 can't be the standard. i think next gen it will be the standard.

Tokubetsu

GhostRidah said:
How? I am using the same card, what drivers?

Whatever the RAGE preview drivers are, that's what I'm using and with that config file.

jett said:

If it'snt 60, it's fairly close. Runs pretty smooth. I'm also forcing Vsync in CC and AA is off. I put AA to 2x it's performing pretty well.

That said, this has the best gunplay in a non sim fps I've played in awhile. Really satisfying.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Weenerz said:
Megatextures are amazing.
The way i kind of look at it is they sacrificed high detail on specific items to give equal distribution to all in a viewable area. Which i think makes the game look more detailed for the majority of the time.

Tokubetsu

~Kinggi~ said:
The way i kind of look at it is they sacrificed high detail on specific items to give equal distribution to all in a viewable area. Which i think makes the game look more detailed for the majority of the time.

Yea, some amazing vistas here. Loving the art style too. It's different for id but still id if you get me. The way they do mechanical design is very distinct.

Hawk269

angular graphics said:
Try lowering it to 6144 for example, maybe it'll work and you'll still benefit. :)

Angular,

Is this tweak mainly for ATI owners. I am ready about the setting "GPU TRANSCODE" and how it is for Nvidia's Cuda Technology. From what I read, those that have a Nvidia Card can enable GPU Transcode and it reduces the texture pop in. I just started and am in the starting area and I have noticed zero pop in, 1080p, locked 60fps with Vsycn, AFx16 and trippe buffering forced through the driver and 16xAA in the game settings and have not noticed any pop up. Again, just in the starting are though.

But, can anyone confirm this "GPU Transcode" thing?

nib95

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:

I dunno. Perfectly fine with the way every other visually elite game handles it. I.e, Witcher 2, Crysis 2, BF3, Mafia II etc. This new megatexture system honestly seems even less efficient since it's so easy to out pace the the rate the textures can be loaded, even then you sacrifice overall detail and sharpness.

Aptos

Aptos said:
Clean install, following the exact instructions on AMDs website. I thought maybe it was the texture cache folder I created, cuz Rage did indeed put a 1GB file in there, but I deleted it and it didn't fix anything.

However, on a good note: I get a locked 60 fps with no screen tearing... :/

So, I finally went back and 1) Uninstalled ALL AMD Catalyst software via their uninstaller, 2) used driver sweeper in safe mode, 3) installed AMD Catalyst software. This fixed it for me. Locked @ 60 fps with vsync and triple buffering forced on and the game looks great...

Too bad my one day without the gf around is spent waiting for drivers and trying to fix this crap :/ Now I won't be able to even play this game until next week. So lame.

Deadbeat

Banned
jet1911 said:
So. Dead Island or Rage for worst launch of the year? :p
Techland bit off more than they can chew but Dead Island is still playable. Rage is shit on every platform but the 360 (once again par for the course with multiplatform games).

Definity

I give up. I forced vsync and triple buffer as suggested in this thread and left it that way. Worked fine for awhile and now it's back to monster tearing. I can drop my display down to 720p or run it in window 1080p mode and it corrects itself but if I try to run it full screen 1080p now it has giant tear lines.

Any ideas? I didn't change any settings and it worked fine for a few hours.

gtx570
i5 2500k
8gb ram
bf3 beta drivers

TKRunningRiot

Neo Member
I'm about to move to disc 2 and was wondering if anyone knows if there is more than one sewer hatch on disc 1. I've cleared the one in the starting area and have yet to find another.

jett

D-Member
Vulcano's assistant said:
The saddest part is that those were probably some amazing looking textures when they left the artist desk.

This is the only game I can think of that has obvious compression artifacts on nearly every texture, lolz. They aren't just low-res, they're filled macroblocking too.

~Kinggi~ said:
For sure! There's a ton of variation in the environments. Strangely enough, it makes the world feel more alive even with all the blurriness.

~Kinggi~

Banned
nib95 said:
I dunno. Perfectly fine with the way every other visually elite game handles it. I.e, Witcher 2, Crysis 2, BF3, Mafia II etc. This new megatexture system honestly seems even less efficient since it's so easy to out pace the the rate the textures can be loaded, even then you sacrifice overall detail and sharpness.
I'd really like to look at a detailed analysis of the benefits of how they are doing things here. It does feature environments that look much more unique and detailed at a certain distance, but i wonder if the fact that it is 60 fps or the speed you can move on your vehicles come into play for why this was more efficient. I imagine it must have a lot to do with having more control over how much texture memory is being used, allowing for a constant 60 fps instead of it being all over the place.

Top Bottom