• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Smokey

Hawk269 said:
Smokey, when I make this file, I just type that stuff in notepad, save it as "ansi" code with that file name right? Just want to make sure.

I did it in TextPad. I saved as, changed file type to all files. Named it rageconfig.cfg as Angular said and it's showing in my base folder as a cfg file.

And yeah it looks better after I added that. Here is another shot. I should mention that my VRAM usage on my card went from 600MB to 1.8GB after applying Angular's config:

It's interesting seeing the reactions to this game's release after so much hype and chatter for years. All this talk about "Carmack, Carmack", and we've got a PC version with major problems on many people's rigs.

JohngPR

jett said:
I wonder why was color grading/filtering removed from the game(among other things, like DOF).

There is some DOF stuff going on when you aim through the iron sights. It's very slight, but it's there.

Hanzou said:
Is the Anarchy edition another one of those"The first run of all copies are the special anarchy edition" deals?

Seems like it, although I'm not 100% sure.

wilflare

is this game worth the purchase right now? or am i better off waiting for a sale?
relatively new to id's creations, never really played doom.

-if i liked borderlands, would i like this?-

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
bloodforge said:
It's happening to me as well, didn't start doing it until i got to Wellspring, some glitch around outside conversation as well like they're rapidly switching animation position. Can't find anything to fix it and it only happens in Wellspring. Probably have to be patched.
Yes, same exact thing here. It didn't start until Wellsprings. If I create a new game, it won't happen in the beginner towns.

Gvaz said:
Yeah from a technical standpoint it's ugly.

It is shockingly primitive.

I wonder why was color grading/filtering removed from the game(among other things, like DOF).

Definitely used to look better back in 2008, despite texture quality being the same.

all of that must have been cut to make 60 frames on consoles (which of course in an ideal world shouldn't have had an impact on the pc version...lulz)

maybe next gen and doom 4 will allow for AO, Self shadowing, real time dynamic lighting, global illumination etc etc. Still wouldn't stop megatexture from being an absolute dog though. Will doom 4 be a 50 gig title? a hundred? What will it take to get crisp texture across the board?

will doom 4 ship on its own hard drive? :p

Looks like this game was in development hell because of that technology.

Spasm

cheststrongwell said:
Somebody, please make a console only Rage thread.
Seconded.

I am loving this game. Don't really get the 'linear' complaints. I'm only about 3 hours in, and there is tons of shit to do. The gun-play is fantastic. And the graphics... my God the graphics. Between this and Forza 4, it's like this old little box is getting a 3rd wind.

Edit: Also, someone should add, "(It's not done)" to the thread title.

jdl

Banned
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but -

The town of Wellspring is the most impressive thing I've ever seen in a game. Without question a masterpiece of environment art. Inspiring stuff.

Here's hoping more developers recognize the value of chasing a unique vision.

Wallach

fizzelopeguss said:
It is shockingly primitive.

The fucked up part is that it is still amazing looking. If they ever release the texture pack Carmack was talking about this game wouldn't have any competition for miles. Fuckin' never do this console-based development shit again, id.

Gav47

Couldn't use the 16K textures so I dropped it down to 8K. Great job, I can barely catch the pop in now. Using 850MB of VRAM, probably couldn't use the 16Ks because I only have 1.2gbs of VRAM.

Hawk269

Smokey said:
I did it in TextPad. I saved as, changed file type to all files. Named it rageconfig.cfg as Angular said and it's showing in my base folder as a cfg file.

And yeah it looks better after I added that. Here is another shot. I should mention that my VRAM usage on my card went from 600MB to 1.8GB after applying Angular's config:

This is weird. I download angular's file, changed it to the larger size and whenever I try to run the game, it goes to a black screen and just sits there. Cntrl>Alt>Delete to task manager and it says Rage is not responding. I remove the cfg. file from teh directory and the game loads fine. Am I missing something somewhere? I have the same setup as Smokey, 3gb cards, so not sure if I jacked something up or what. Any help would be appreciated.

forrest

formerly nacire
How do I get access to the sewers? I put in my anarchy edition code on steam, is there something else I'm missing?

Wallach

nacire said:
How do I get access to the sewers? I put in my anarchy edition code on steam, is there something else I'm missing?

Did you do the first mission yet? It won't be accessible the first time you see it.

nacire said:
Awesome man, did your settings stay for you hdtv stuff?
Yup. I guess my multi-monitor configuration was all windows related. Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers wasn't the headache I was worried about, although having to restart the machine twice was a little much.

Performance is almost perfect, but there is room for improvement. I still get little micro hitches every once in a while while it loads textures - during combat its annoying. Would still like to tweak the system so that it could be a lot more aggressive in loading textures and also to keep them around for longer. So not quite as smooth as silk, but definitely playable and I'm hopeful that further tweaks will perfect it.

But even with the install day rage abated its disappointing to see this as the product of a top tier PC developer. To all of PC Gaf that has complained about console centric development this is the first time I've gotten to experience it firsthand, and yeah, its disappointing.

Gav47 said:
Couldn't use the 16K textures so I dropped it down to 8K. Great job, I can barely catch the pop in now. Using 850MB of VRAM, probably couldn't use the 16Ks because I only have 1.2gbs of VRAM.
yeah. it definately helps.

nacire... make sure you put in BOTH codes. that code sheet is double sided. still, i have both codes input and both add ons downloaded but can't get in the sewers either. i fear it may have something to do with me having already started the game at the point i put in the codes.

totally should have gone to bed an hour ago but i've been exploring wellspring, doing a sidequest or two. done the first three deliveries...

it's so nice to see a game locked at 60 fps. with the 8K tweak i'm seeing a fraction of the popin i did before.

it's a great game. definately better than Doom 3 and probably better than Quake 2.

forrest

formerly nacire
Wallach said:
Did you do the first mission yet? It won't be accessible the first time you see it.

I did the very first mission
Clear our the Ghost Bandits now Im about to get the radio tower back for the next group of folks and I found a sewer. It wont let me in, says something about dlc or somthing

Wallach

nacire said:
Clear our the Ghost Bandits now Im about to get the radio tower back for the next group of folks and I found a sewer. It wont let me in, says something about dlc or somthing

Yeah then you have only put in the code for the Anarchy Edition items. Look around for another code.

Edit - Right click RAGE in your library and click "View Downloadable Content", see if it lists Sewer DLC.

nacire said:
where abouts exactly did you find it? the thing i'm trying to get into is in wellspring and it just shows as locked. it doesn't say anything about dlc.

plagiarize said:
it's a great game. definately better than Doom 3 and probably better than Quake 2.
That's pretty much my take as well. Its solid id gunplay but tuned, with more options and more interesting enemy AI and a solid backdrop with character.

Man, do I wish the sky moved though. This game with day/night transitions and higher quality textures would be flat out amazing.

NullPointer said:
That's pretty much my take as well. Its solid id gunplay but tuned, with more options and more interesting enemy AI and a solid backdrop with character.

Man, do I wish the sky moved though. This game with day/night transitions and higher quality textures would be flat out amazing.
well, judging from the required texture ram to minimise or negate the streaming, i dread to think what kind of vram you'd need if they upped the texture resolutions.

Hawk269

Hawk269 said:
This is weird. I download angular's file, changed it to the larger size and whenever I try to run the game, it goes to a black screen and just sits there. Cntrl>Alt>Delete to task manager and it says Rage is not responding. I remove the cfg. file from teh directory and the game loads fine. Am I missing something somewhere? I have the same setup as Smokey, 3gb cards, so not sure if I jacked something up or what. Any help would be appreciated.

I am a retard. So, I can build a $2500.00 gaming rig, but I cant figure out how to make a .cfg file so when it shows up it is listed as a .cfg file instead of text file. So I download Angulars file, and change all the values to the 16384...well as I did this, the last entry my dexlexia kicks in and I type in 16834. Once I changed it back to what it should be, the game is running fine. Have not seen what it did visually, going to test now.

So anyone want to tell a noob how to make a .cfg file in notepad to where it actuallly is listed un the document type as a Configuration file. When I saved it, I did call it whatever.cfg, but it still listed it as a text document.

Anyways..thanks! lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuuuuuuuck. This is night and day.

The new ATI driver and the config file made this an amazing looking and running game. Getting crazy good FPS and other than the initial texture load, I am not getting any pop-in issues anymore. Sweeet!

I'm going to restart on Hard now, I think.

Time to play some RAGE instead of RAGING about not being able to play.

Pimpbaa

NullPointer said:

It's a shame more people are not noticing this.

Hawk269 said:
I am a retard. So, I can build a $2500.00 gaming rig, but I cant figure out how to make a .cfg file so when it shows up it is listed as a .cfg file instead of text file. So I download Angulars file, and change all the values to the 16384...well as I did this, the last entry my dexlexia kicks in and I type in 16834. Once I changed it back to what it should be, the game is running fine. Have not seen what it did visually, going to test now.

So anyone want to tell a noob how to make a .cfg file in notepad to where it actuallly is listed un the document type as a Configuration file. When I saved it, I did call it whatever.cfg, but it still listed it as a text document.

Anyways..thanks! lol
If all else fails just change the name of the file in windows explorer. Just delete the .txt and change it .cfg. It will still work.

forrest

formerly nacire
Wallach said:
Yeah then you have only put in the code for the Anarchy Edition items. Look around for another code.

Edit - Right click RAGE in your library and click "View Downloadable Content", see if it lists Sewer DLC.

My steam library info says Rage Authority Pack DLC, but my box specifically says Anarchy and I already have the anarchy items downloaded.

Wallach

nacire said:
My steam library info says Rage Authority Pack DLC, but my box specifically says Anarchy and I already have the anarchy items downloaded.

The Authority pack is what the Anarchy pack shows up as on Steam. If there isn't also an entry below that called "Rage Sewer DLC" then you need to look for a separate code in your box stuff than the one you already entered.

NullPointer said:
Only played for an hour but this is how I'm feeling about it as well. It was a bitch to get working but I'm really enjoying it now that it is.

Hawk269

So now that I have Angular's little file working, it does help..it also chews up a shitload of VRam. I am running using the 16384 amount, with the GPU Configuration (in-game) to on and it was using almost 2gigs of RAM. However, even though pop in was not noticeable before, I did notice (prior to applying this trick) that when I would spin in circles the texture where an AC unit was on a wall would pop a little, like it was pop in but not very much.

With this fix, it is solid as a rock and no matter how fast I spin the camera, not movement of the textures or anything. So, while I did not have major issues to begin with, it seems that this .cfg file definately does help and I am sure later in the game (I am in the beginning) that it would serve it's purpose.

But I agree with someone else, if they do make a hi-res texture pack (which they do need to do), I do wonder about pop in because as of now for me it is almost at 2gb of VRam.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Neuromancer said:
This game is kind of awesome. Looks amazing too, other than some texture pop in.

Try that config file? It eliminated all but the initial pop-in for me.

Does anyone know how to enable V-sync without making it a universal setting in the CCC?

Wallach said:
The Authority pack is what the Anarchy pack shows up as on Steam. If there isn't also an entry below that called "Rage Sewer DLC" then you need to look for a separate code in your box stuff than the one you already entered.
for me the two codes were on opposite sides of the same piece of paper. totally can't get into the sewers though... don't want to restart the game after getting a few hours in!

forrest

formerly nacire
Wallach said:

I'm a herp derp, it was on the backside of the Anarchy Code paper. Thanks for your help! Apparently, some of us need it!

Wallach

butts said:
Is there any way to disable the monocle on the pistol?

Nope. Not that I could figure out anyway. Also it says it is for the pistol but it would activate with my double-barrel shotgun and even my friggin' fists. Sold that crap.

Hawk269 said:

Anyways..thanks! lol
When you're in the "Save as" dialog, go to the "Save as type" drop-down below the file name and change it to "all files". Then it'll save "blah.cfg" as just that, whereas the "text document" setting will always add a ".txt" to the end.

Zefah said:
Try that config file? It eliminated all but the initial pop-in for me.
I'm on the X-Box.

Shame about the monocular issues, using it with the pistol is super cool. Weird that they would also pair it with the double barreled shotgun and the fists, :lol

This game
2llhank.jpg

plagiarize said:
well, judging from the required texture ram to minimise or negate the streaming, i dread to think what kind of vram you'd need if they upped the texture resolutions.
Wouldn't a good LOD system help here? Something to mitigate how smeared some of this stuff looks up close.

And extra thanks for the 16k config file tip (*bows* to angular). That change there has eliminated any hitching aside from the first game load, at least so far. Will have to get into some more hairy combat encounters to be sure, but I took a nice jog from one settlement to the next and saw zero texture loads. This is really coming along. :)

nacire said:
You can sell it back, that's all I could figure out. Seems like a weird choice or I'm just missing something.
I guess I'm the only one sniping fools with it? Then I just use hipfire for close encounters. Guess it wouldn't hurt to be able to unequip it for certain weapons though.

Gvaz said:
I do hope you're joking.
Your sarcasm meter is on the fritz.

angular graphics said:
Go to your "base" folder.

Create a file named "rageconfig.cfg"

type inside:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart

save it and start rage

Dude, ANGULAR... I FUCKING LOVE YOU!!! It makes a shit ton of difference. Just for example i am in
DEAD CITY CENTRAL and was just playing it before i came to check the Rage thread and the city was one blurry mess
at this point along with the horrible pop in and after i put the config in, HOLY SHIT, what a world of difference!! There was a huge painting on a building and before i installed the config, the painting would eventually fade in to show itself the closer i got but after the config i could see the painting sharp as hell all the way from where i turned a corner, yes!

Top Bottom