• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Nooses Cause Uproar on Tennessee Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Rainbow Nooses Cause Uproar on Tennessee Campus

20xp-noose-superJumbo.jpg

An art student hung six nooses, each a different color of the rainbow, from a tree at a university in Tennessee on Monday as part of a class project, the school said, provoking an uproar among students and staff members who saw them as a symbol of racism and homophobia evocative of the Ku Klux Klan.

Passers-by found the colorful nooses hanging in a row — purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red — from a tree branch high above the sidewalk in front of a fine arts building at Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, Tenn., at around 5 p.m. on Monday, the university said.

They were quickly removed by campus police, but it was not until Tuesday that the administration said in a statement that the nooses had been part of an art project. The school declined to name the student who put them up.

“This is a lesson for everyone about sensitivity and respect for all people and how inclusive and understanding we need to be as a campus community,” said Alisa White, the university president, in a statement on Tuesday. “While we support the freedom of expression on our campus, we also have to keep in mind that there are symbols that have very specific and negative meanings to everyone, especially if context is not provided.”

The university said in a statement on Tuesday that the student did not intend for the project to have anything to do with race or sexuality. It said she had been “sincerely concerned about the perception of and reaction to the display” and supported the decision to remove them, as did her professor.

Barry Jones, the chairman of the university’s department of art and design, said the student made the nooses for an introductory class on outdoor crochet sculpture. She wanted to do a project “about cycles of life and death and, in particular, how that relates to the arrival of spring,” he said.

She used rainbow colored yarn because it was “bright and spring-like,” Mr. Jones said, and she wove them into nooses, which were covered in crocheted flowers, because she thought it symbolized death.

“I understand the outrage completely, and it was obviously a huge mistake by the student to not recognize how a symbol so associated with hate and racism cannot be co-opted to talk about other things,” he said. “In the end it was a really tone-deaf student.”

The nooses were hung without any explanation that they were an art project and without any statement about their meaning, the university said. That omission deepened the confusion and anguish around their sudden appearance, re-opening longstanding racial wounds and inflaming anxieties about prejudice, exclusion and violence.

“These ropes might not have a malicious meaning but it still sent the wrong message,” Alexis Fuller, a student at Austin Peay, wrote as part of an online debate on the school’s Facebook page. “We all know what ropes hanging from a tree mean.”

Students and staff members met on Tuesday in a campus ballroom to discuss the incident. In a statement, the administration said the student’s professor had not been aware of what she was doing, but Mr. Jones described that assertion as “not 100 percent” accurate. He said the student had proposed the project to her professor and was cautioned against doing it.

“The professor explained that it would be kind of a charged image and the student went ahead anyway,” Mr. Jones said. “They talked about the noose as a symbol.”

Valhelm

contribute something
Huh, I would have assumed it was a vaguely-in-poor-taste statement about LGBT oppression in the South.

This is bizarrely out of touch.

Viewt

Yikes. I don't see how you could hang nooses from a tree in America and not think, "Hm, maybe this is going to upset some people," but at least she understood why they had to be taken down, and the university seems to be handling the situation correctly.

Huh, I would have assumed it was a vaguely-in-poor-taste statement about LGBT oppression in the South.

That's pretty much what I thought as well. Albeit poor taste, I thought it was meant to be an intentionally controversial piece comparing what blacks had to go through to obtain their civil rights to what the LGBT community faces today.

Is it bad if my first reaction was to make sure it followed ROY G BIV.

But yeah, this is terrible idea for art if you don't provide any context with it.

pigeon

Banned
Separating the project from the whole, like, nooses in the South kind of thing, I actually think this is a pretty cool art piece. Ties in spring, rebirth (with the rainbow), death in life, and even alludes to the Norse winter sacrifices. I kind of think it's great!

But like maybe context is also important?

Normally I'd defend an artist's right to present intentionally challenging works, but in this case it sounds like the student was actually just clueless.

low-G

Technically I think this is a case for an 'F'. Her intent was completely different than what any human being would think. If she had admitted it was a threat to hang homosexuals, she'd at least be expressing this. Failure at all levels, send her back to grade school.

Normally I'd defend an artist's right to present intentionally challenging works, but in this case it sounds like the student was actually just clueless.

Just my opinion but that makes it all the more appalling. How the hell could they not see a display like that could have negative undertones?

Slayven

Dumbasses all around in that article

I learn how to craft something and the first thing I think of is nooses, this fucking country

sphagnum

Banned
Just my opinion but that makes it all the more appalling. How the hell could they not see a display like that could have negative undertones?

Some people are just ignorant of history. In high school we had a goth kid show up wearing a noose one day and he got beat up by a black student who thought he was making a racist statement when in actuality he was just an idiot trying to be edgy.

Not so fast

In a statement, the administration said the student’s professor had not been aware of what she was doing, but Mr. Jones described that assertion as “not 100 percent” accurate. He said the student had proposed the project to her professor and was cautioned against doing it.

“The professor explained that it would be kind of a charged image and the student went ahead anyway,” Mr. Jones said. “They talked about the noose as a symbol.”

The student was warned and did it anyway. The student has lost the ability to feign surprise on grounds of ignorance.

I halfway thought this was going to be a flashback to that thing last year where somebody reported leftover string as "nooses."

man oh man this was a dumb move

Some people are just ignorant of history. In high school we had a goth kid show up wearing a noose one day and he got beat up by a black student who thought he was making a racist statement when in actuality he was just an idiot trying to be edgy.

True I guess.

Something kinda similar happened in my school. One day two goth-types, a large girl and a rail-thin guy, came to school and the girl had put the guy on a dog leash leading him around. It only lasted for about fifteen minutes because they were basically wearing BDSM clothing. No racist undertones though, at least I think. Everyone was confused.

MIMIC

Banned
LMAO

So not only was this not an anti-LGBT statement, but it wasn't an LGBT statement at ALL. The person who did this needs to get out more.

It's like that South Park episode. The student was SO NON-Racist that he didn't even realize that the difference in color was something to notice.
sp%2Bracist%2Bflag.jpg

That entire article paints the student as the definition of ignorant, considering how many times people tried warning them about it. Even the school handled the situation really effectively, but I can only imagine we're going to have people crying "but muh free speech" or whatever.

That's pretty much what I thought as well. Albeit poor taste, I thought it was meant to be an intentionally controversial piece comparing what blacks had to go through to obtain their civil rights to what the LGBT community faces today.

I'm willing to bet that's what she was really shooting for but that she's now backpedaling in the face of controversy. Not that I blame her...I'd be be holed up in my dorm room if I were her right now, haha.

I think more people would respect an intentional, if highly controversial, piece of art on a pressing issue of the day compared to the whole "I didn't know" explanation, which is kind of preposterous. You're an American, you (sadly) know what these symbols represent.

I'm willing to bet that's what she was really shooting for but that she's now backpedaling in the face of controversy. Not that I blame her...I'd be be holed up in my dorm room if I were her right now, haha.

I think more people would respect an intentional, if highly controversial, piece of art on a pressing issue of the day compared to the whole "I didn't know" explanation, which is kind of preposterous.

Yeah if it was actually that I would understand the art piece and that was I initially assumed was its meaning but her meaning of her art piece as she is stating it makes no sense whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom