• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Nooses Cause Uproar on Tennessee Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there an art piece or installation on another campus maybe 6 months ago that caused an uproar? I think it was race-related, too.

Seems like a lot of this would be curtailed if these random art projects on campus were formally-labeled and announced to the students, rather than just left like a fucking clue in an adventure game.

kirblar

Wasn't there an art piece or installation on another campus maybe 6 months ago that caused an uproar? I think it was race-related, too.

Seems like a lot of this would be curtailed if these random art projects on campus were formally-labeled and announced to the students, rather than just left like a fucking clue in an adventure game.
IIRC, that one was putting segregated white/colored only signs on bathrooms without labeling the signs as an art project in anyway.

turtle553

But it's not bad if they aren't all the same color:
chef-goes-nanners_480_poster.jpg

pigeon

Banned
Yeah if it was actually that I would understand the art piece and that was I initially assumed was its meaning but her meaning of her art piece as she is stating it makes no sense whatsoever.

I dunno, man, it seems pretty reasonable to me.

Spring is a time of flowering, but it's also a time of rebirth, and rebirth necessarily implies death.

To point up the implied death in the natural cycle, she wanted to make nooses (a pretty clear symbol of death), but make them colorful and vibrant like spring.

Making them rainbow-colored also connects to the rainbow's existence as a symbol of rebirth, cf. Noah and the Flood. At the same time, the use of nooses also calls back to the Norse custom of using hanging for human sacrifices, which pagans did to make sure spring would come again after winter. The connecting together of these two religious traditions helps to show the commonality of the experience of spring as a time of renewal inextricably connected with a preceding time of death.

Now, I mean, it's possible she didn't think of any of that because apparently she didn't know about, like, racism and homophobia, so she seems a little sheltered, but I really don't think it's an intrinsically crazy art piece. I think it would be pretty cool, like, with a label or something to explain that it's not about lynching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom